New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Lets Watch: Skyland

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I am become Typo, destroyer of writing projects.
    *grin*

Does Symbiont mean anything?
    "an organism living in symbiosis with another"

Essentially, symbiont is the preferred term, symbiote (the non comic book character name) exists only as a pointer to symbiont (and highlights as incorrect in all the spellcheckers I use).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    *grin*

"an organism living in symbiosis with another"

Essentially, symbiont is the preferred term, symbiote (the non comic book character name) exists only as a pointer to symbiont (and highlights as incorrect in all the spellcheckers I use).
    Aaah, okay. The invisible lightning lizard isn't a symbiont then because it's psionic powers living with technology. Even in a broad definition none of these are organisms. This leads, me at least, to the obvious conclusion that Symbionts are made out of Seijuns.

3. - Top - End - #153

Aaah, okay. The invisible lightning lizard isn't a symbiont then because it's psionic powers living with technology. Even in a broad definition none of these are organisms. This leads, me at least, to the obvious conclusion that Symbionts are made out of Seijuns.
    Oh, wasn't arguing that it wasn't incorrectly used. However...

Maybe it feeds on the energy of those around it. If there's no one there, it hibernates, when someone wakes it, it uses their energy against them.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #154

Oh, wasn't arguing that it wasn't incorrectly used. However...

Maybe it feeds on the energy of those around it. If there's no one there, it hibernates, when someone wakes it, it uses their energy against them.
    That's an idea. It's still the weird schizo tech of "someone I combined my psychic powers with these electronics, and it made an invisible lizard man who feeds of the mental energies of those around him" but I can honestly hand wave something like that as just being part of the setting's "lost future technology" aspect.

This is another example of "wow if this series was written less episodically it'd be so much better then it is" because I want to learn more about this.

5. - Top - End - #155

NecromancerGuy

She's seen the crew on numerous occasions, and probably has profiles of them.
    Ah, I must've gotten mixed up, I'd only thought her two bumbling minions had gotten on board the pirate ship and seen Cheng, which is... basically "asian 12 year old with stereotypical asian-sounding name was aboard pirate vessel," as far as intelligence goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, I must've gotten mixed up, I'd only thought her two bumbling minions had gotten on board the pirate ship and seen Cheng, which is... basically "asian 12 year old with stereotypical asian-sounding name was aboard pirate vessel," as far as intelligence goes.
    It was indeed them that got the closest look, but they would have been debriefed and provided all that information to R1D1 and Oz Low.

Plus, they have been pirates a long time before Ma Had and Lee Na got involved.

7. - Top - End - #157

This is it, mon cherry*, it's time for the final episode of Skyland, season 1.

*LaZodiac, despite the name, does not know french

Episode 13: Life in Puerto Angel

Spoiler
    Show
    ...well that sounds like a clip show, now doesn't it.

We open on...not Puerto Angel. Huh. It looks kind of like a...what do you call it. An inner city area, with street lights and buildings with stoops and stuff. Mahad is playing rock paper scissors with Lena, a game he's actually good at since he has a 1 in 3 chances of winning.

...though from what I can tell he's actually playing it against himself. He's also throwing his boomerang around. Mahad is very bored, it seems. He complains that Cheng is taking so long. Lena says that he should lighten up, he knows Cheng loves exploring old electronic shops. Makes sense, especially since Cheng is the techie.

Mahad mutters that he's a geek, which is very rude, even for Mahad. Odd.

...odder still is the fact that Cheng leaves from..."The El Sombrero Restaurant". And he leaves it with a gramophone. Not the mind splitting high tech device I'd expect to find in 2088.

Even Lena thinks that his gramophone is just a waste of time, but Cheng insists it's a collector's item. Which, to be fair, it is. It's a collector's item NOW, I'm going to assume futureland has even less of them. Cheng walks into the street and...suddenly a flying car drives by. Remember to always look both ways when crossing the street, even when the street is visibly destroyed on both ends and thus has no way of any cars to come by unless they happen to be flying for some reason.

Out from the flying jalopy is...a dude who looks a lot like Vector but is incredibly british, wearing a bowler hat and glasses. He apologizes and introduces himself as...Max. Then out from the car comes a girl in generic green clothes who looks a hell of a lot like Celia, which Max introduces as Astrid. She smiles and waves. I'm noticing that we've now officially run out of character models.

Mahad is awestruck by her beauty. This is not surprising. He does seem so awestruck that he doesn't trip over any horrible attempts to hit on her, though.

We cut to the Hyperion flying off. Cheng is entertaining Not Celia and Not Vector in the...lounge that the Hyperion apparently has, while Lena and Mahad argue in the cockpit. Lena thinks bringing Astrid and Max to Port Angel is unsafe. Mahad says that naw, it's fine. Anyone who's an enemy of Sphere is a friend of theirs.

This absolutely screams a trap but given that the car only appeared infront of our heroes because it literally started dying, I'm...NO! I refuse to believe it's NOT a trap. This is DEFINITELY a trap.

As if to support this, Lena asks the obvious question of "how do you KNOW they're enemies of the Sphere?" Mahad counters by saying that even HE, without his super special magic powers, can see that this pastor (!!!) is way to kind and friendly to be a Sphere agent.

Back at Port Angel...Pastor Max is playing a card shuffling gambling game. Um...sir? If you're NOT a bad guy, you're doing a pretty poor job of hiding it. I mean, I don't know how common this would be in say, Firefly, but a Pastor doing gambling games is kind of a bad sign.

Oh hey I see Patroochi in the crowd. Anyway, Dahlia goes to pick which of the three cards is the Ace of Hearts, after watching him shuffle around for awhile. It's a ten of...clubs, I think. Dahlia is annoyed. Wayan goes next, and he gets the King of Spades. Everyone laughs at him like they did Dahlia. Dahlia especially.

Cortez comes down and asks what's going on. Max pegs him to be a man with a keen eye, and goes to play the card following game with him. Only he doesn't actually show where the Ace IS to Cortez, so....yeah. Cortez is havin' none of this and demands Max tell him who he is. Max insists he's just a simple traveler, and everyone else tells Cortez to just play along with the game and find the Ace of Hearts.

Cortez sighs, flips over a random card (which is not the ace) and tells everyone that game time is over, it's time to
    pack up. He then asks where Astrid is...and also where Mahad is. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Suddenly the Hyperion rises up from outside and Cheng goes "there he is!" as it flies off. Seems Mahad is taking Astrid out for a joy ride to impress her. We then cut to the Monolith. Diwan and a squadron of Brig's are looking for a man named "Shaun" and Oslo wants him found quickly, even going so far as to have Diwan hand out holograms of his appearance to every bar, inn, and tavern in Skyland. They're even giving out a reward! Though Oslo reveals he's only doing that so "the peasents will think they have a stake in helping us".

Back with the Hyperion, turns out ASTRID is driving. Mahad she's pretty good for- but then is cut off by Astrid saying "A girl, right?" to which Mahad implies "for your first time!" but then Astrid intentionally causes the Hyperion to take a heavy turn and starts stalling and it's sort of implied she's not actually doing this on purpose but I can't be sure because she started this by saying "oops~" but it sounded so...fake of an oops I'm not sure. Also Astrid's voice actor is fairly good.

After she manages to even things out, Mahad starts small talking her. Asking her what she and her father do. Astrid says that they just go around traveling. Seeing new Blocks, meeting new people. It's great! Mahad...actually gets kind of somber here, and asks if she's ever considering staying in one place. "Where's home for you?" he asks, his voice actor...actually doing a pretty good job of making Mahad seem like he genuinely has feelings about this kind of thing. Astrid just smiles and says "Like Dad says, wherever we can put our hat." They both kind of lean in a bit, before Astrid says that maybe they should go back, and they do.

Also just noticed that Astrid kind of has a split between her front teeth. It's kind of weird.

Back with Cortez, who's in Vector's Lighthouse, it appears they've found the signal for a hologram message. It...shows Max's face, and details all his crimes against the people of Skyland. Max is Shaun, and has been charged with burglary, though Cortez figures it's just scamming people out of money with gambling games, not strait up robbing people. Cortez also wonders why the Sphere wants THIS guy, so badly. He then decides to send Dahlia and Mahad to go check the ship. After they return, presumably.

We then just sorta cut to that inner city area. Mahad is throwing his boomerang around while Dahlia investigates their old junker of a sky car. Mahad continues to be bored in this place, despite having a job to do in investigating their jalopy. Dahlia meanwhile says she's got a feeling Cortez is right. There's something suspicious about them! IS IT A TRAP OR NOT?!

While investigating the car, Dahlia...finds one of Astrid's hair clips and throws it to Mahad. Mahad catches it and starts swooning about how shiny her hair is. This is unbelievably awkward but I'm sure Dahlia is glad to have Mahad off of her for once. Though even she has a limit, and bops her head on the inside of the car door, saying he's disgusting her and it'd be pretty great if he could get off his ass and help her search the car.

Mahad says there's no point to help since they're obviously good people. Dahlia says it's better safe then sorry, which is completely true. Mahad starts getting indignant, saying "everyone's a suspect to you" even though Dahlia's never really thought anyone was a spy up until this moment, that I recall.

Mahad...starts ranting about how the problem with "you people" is that you think everyone is Sphere. HE starts flailing around like an idiot while shouting "Sphere here, Sphere there! Sphere everywhere! Help me help me it's the Sphere!" which is actually kind of funny, if out of place (though not out of character).

Dahlia gets pissed and hits the wheel of the car, causing something to fall from the...little sun blocker thing on the top of the car that would give car seat information. Before she can rightly investigate what this is though...Mahad interrupts his rant to note that the Sphere are ACTUALLY here. Since Diwan said she was heading to Shaun's last known location, this all but confirms that Max is Shaun. And that it's not a trap. Mahad grabs Dahlia by the arm and they run off, unable to get the thing that fell.

Diwan roughs up the car a bit, disgusted by how crappy it is, saying "is this a joke?". Unfortunately, after tearing one of the doors off by slamming it into the car, the shiny gold thing Dahlia almost found falls out. Diwan is veeery interested in what it is.

Back with Vector, he's looking at some kind of fancy sigil thing on paper. This is apparently the design of the thing that Dahlia found, that she was able to remember long enough to tell Vector what it is. Apparently, it's an Aragonian Freedom Metal, the highest form of honour a civilian can get in all of Skyland. Interesting...wonder what it could mean. Did Maxshaun steal it, or is it his?

...Vector says that the last person to obtain this medal is "Shaun of Aragon", a scientist. He was awarded this medal for "almost" finishing his work on Hydrogen Oxygen Subdivision...which means he almost created water out of nothing, essentially. This...this guy was kind of a big deal. Also likely not a civilian given he's a scientist.

Mahad asks what HO subdivision is because he skipped science class. Dahlia...explains this...sort of. She says it's a "way to make water out of water" which...isn't ENTIRELY accurate, but okay. Basically the idea is that you take hydrogen and oxygen and then fuse em together to make H2O, water. Now, according to MY science teacher, the energy required to make an H2O molecule artificially like they're doing here would be so much that it would destroy an equal amount of H2O molecule's in the process, effectively giving no gain what so ever.

OF course when I asked "what if they tried to do this when there was no water left at all" his answer was "that's a weird question" and he never tried to elaborate on the possibilities as a proper scientist should so...GRAIN OF SALT and all that. Point is, Shaunmax was almost able to create water.

The radio then picks up a Diwan radio alert that says they're looking for Max, by the name Max. This seem's kind of silly, that she'd know his new name, but it's likely she found it inside the car. Though...now I'm wondering, why hasn't Astrid been mentioned in any of this? At any rate, they decide to interrogate Shaunmax and see if he really is Shaun of Aragon.

Meanwhile with Mahad, he's visiting Astrid in a rather dark room. Every scene that involves Mahad and a non familial female tends to start off kind of creepy doesn't it? Astrid asks if they'll hurt Max, but Mahad ensures her that no, they won't, after all they're not the Sphere. Mahad then adds that he suspects Astrid hasn't been completely honest with him, which she agrees with. Oh dear.

Cortez grills Max for awhile, until suddenly Mahad and Astrid show up at the door! Mahad has something to tell them. Max is all like "Astrid, you told them?" and she goes "I had to. They want to help us Daddy" which is a little uncomfortable because people who'd be around 17 years old likely wouldn't call their Dad "Daddy" anymore.

Maxshaun then caves and reveals that yes, he is Shaun of Aragon. He faked his death via explosion to protect his daughter from The Sphere when he was on the cusp of mastering his research, since he knows the Sphere would attack him if he did so. Mahad says that he's in danger NOW, so he might as well finish his work and then release it to the public so that everyone can make their own infinite water device that is apparently also easily arm-able into some kind of bomb. Clearly this is a good idea, and if Shaun does this the Sphere would have no reason to chase him anymore.

Mahad apparently has no concept of revenge. Neither does Vector, who agree's with this plan, saying that if everyone could create water themselves, it'd end the Sphere dictator ship. Not...not exactly, guys. Anyway, this convinces Shaun, and they head off to create infinite water for everyone which certainly won't incite Sphere to just blow that **** up.

....hahaaahahahaha. Metric VS Imperial joke as Shaun and Vector start fighting over temperature math in his lighthouse. This is great also I think it all but confirms Shaun's lying. Shaun claims that this slip up is just due to him being rusty. RUSTY WITH THE BRAINTHINKING, I suppose. Meanwhile Mahad and Astrid are just sorta sitting together in a garden of wheat, talking about how Mahad is being hunted by the Sphere as well. More talking about staying here, making a life here, but being unable to because Shaun doesn't want to, being too afraid of Sphere. It's a good scene.

Astrid actually gets pretty emotional. Mahad's the first person she's trusted in a long time, and she knows that soon...she'll have to leave again, and it hurts her. She gets up and runs off. We cut back to the lighthouse, where Vector is...just plain furious that Shaun is as dumb as a sack of bricks. He doesn't know a THING about Science!

...HAHAHA! CORTEZ SAYS "IS THIS SOME SORT OF TRAP?!" YES! YES IT IS CORTEZ! TRAP! TRAP! TRAP! TRAP!
    Please be a trap it's been so long! Cortez threatens to hand him over to the Sphere if he doesn't hear the truth, now! Shaun admits, finally, that no, he is not Shaun. He's tired of running and hiding, constantly living on the suffering of others. While he admits all of this, Astrid watches from hiding. Max is just a deliveryman, who was bringing materials to Shaun's lab. After he left...it exploded.

The...the reason he lied is because he just wanted his daughter to think he was someone special and important. That's...REALLY twisted, man. Astrid runs off, while Mahad says that it's okay. They'll help them, right Cortez? Before Cortez can answer Mahad's question we cut to Astrid and she's stealing a Mosquito to run away! As she flies off she says to herself "Now it's time to help my father"...oh dear

Back in the Lighthouse, Diwan starts radio broadcasting another Skyland wide message. They've captured Max's daughter, and are saying "Hey...Shaun of Aragon. We've got your daughter. Surrender to us and we'll let her go." Astrid, meanwhile, continues to insist that no, Max isn't Shaun of Aragon, please stop thinking he is. So...so much for that plan eh Astrid!

They then begin planning a way to save Astrid without giving up Max. Mahad of course suggests a full frontal attack...which is shot down about as easily as they would be if they attacked a Sphere squadron. Mahad says he's not going to sit around and do nothing, no matter what the plan is. However, Max could honestly care less. He wants to give himself in. Cortez says this is a VERY poor idea, since he's not actually Shaun of Aragon. Max helpfully points out that THEY don't know that, and by the time they DO Astrid will be free anyway so who cares. Max is a good father.

...pffth. Okay, okay, that's good. They set up Max's communicator in his hat, and after Vector tests it with him Max says "this gives talking through my hat a new meaning" and I'll admit I LAUGHED DAMNIT! I feel awful for laughing at it but I did. Cortez says not to get attached...and kind of forgets to do his scottish accent in this scene. Ooops! Anyway, they have a plan, apparently to get the both of them back.

Anyway, Max begins the trade of himself for his daughter. Diwan notes that this is almost too easy, cursing herself to the failure we sort of expected was going to happen anyway because Diwan is a failure. To support this, Diwan says that Astrid's attempts at tricking them (which where clearly on Shaun's orders) are no match for her! Max flatters her intelligence for seeing through the ruse, which she appreciates and compliments him on his eloquence. Today is a good day for Diwan.

...the plan involves Vector feeding Max lines. Problem, he's kind of half deaf because he says watering cans instead of "water can" at one point, and other such goofs. Vector is absolutely bothered by this incompetence, but it seems to be working. Emphasis on seems to. The lie is that "Shaun" totally found out a way to create water and energy out of itself.

Oh **** son, Diwan is actually kind of smart, and says that hey, does that mean you're going to try the *technobabble equation name that might be a real equation I don't know* and Max's answer is "..." because Vector's connection to the hat radio dropped. This is why you splurge for the better carrier, guys.

So...yeah, it's up to Max to start bull****ting like his life depended on it. Because it does, now more then ever.

...**** is he bad at this. He literally says "I...I'm I'm sorry, but I'm just waiting for the little voice in my head" and I mean he explains that away, but JEEZ he is not subtle or good at this at all wow. No wonder they had to move so often.

Diwan obviously see's through this, takes his hat, and puts it on her head just as Vector gets back the connection to say it's a trap because the equation is in fact a fake one! Diwan says "YOU'RE JUST A FOOL" which actually sounds pretty funny from the girl who now looks like a gender flippped, inverted colour scheme Clockwork Orange character.

Diwan shouts "TRANSMISSION TERMINATED!" and throws the hat away, and surrounds the two with her Brigs. We get a cheesy message about how Max was ALWAYS special to Astrid because "you're my father" and so on. They hug, Diwan says this is sickening (I kind of agree, if only because it's a bit...generic, I suppose) and...oh jeez, Diwan orders her Brigs to prepare to fire. She's gonna straight up execute the guy!

However before she can all five Brig's get their heads cut clean off by Mahad's boomerang. Yay consistency. Mahad compliments Diwan, saying "did you do something with your hair?". This is funny only in the fact that Diwan is bald, so it's kind of a good line. Mahad is on top of a building by the way.

...jeez, Diwan just slugs Mahad with a Seijun blast, knocking him down. But he's alright...though minus his boomerang. Diwan taunts him about that, saying "dropped your toy?" in a really weird way because Diwan's voice actor seems kinda...strange after Mahad showed up. Not sure what's up, just feels wrong.

Mahad hurries down a fire escape to try and retrieve his boomerang while Diwan slow walks towards it. If she put in any effort she'd totally beat him to it and then be able to kill him at her leisure. But Diwan's never been the brightest of baddies. Also, it's so close to her she's able to get to it anyway. She quips to herself about how boys who leave their toys around should lose them...only for Lena to appear, tell her to get her hands off of her brother's stuff, and Seijun Blast Diwan...right off the edge of the platform again

This time instead of holding onto the edge, she strait up falls like 20 feet and slams into a small person sized block. She's hurting and, worse, kind of can't do jack **** at the moment. I think we get a reused shot from episode 3 of Diwan getting angry at being beaten by children, but I'm not sure.

So yeah, Max and Astrid are saved, Max gets his hat back and established communication with Vector. HE starts saying that hey, he's been thinking about the water creation thing and he has some ideas! Cortez stats making static sounds so Vector can say they're losing connection and hangs up. Okay, that's...pretty great. They've had enough of his fake science.

Max is baffled by this and spends the rest of the episode (just like a minute or so) looking into and talking into his hat, trying to find out what's wrong. Mahad...actually smoothly and politely offers his hand to Astrid to show her around Port Angel, which she accepts, and the episode ends.

And that's the episode! My thoughts? I...take it or leave it. This episode was kind of alright I guess. Not bad, but certainly not...GOOD, either. It had some really good scenes with Mahad, and it appears that at least with girls, he's gaining some character development. I like this! We're NEVER going to see Astrid or Max again though, are we? Isn't that right, Celia and Symbiont? Yeah...yeah. We're never seeing these guys again. Also this was in NO way a season finale holy crap guys.

So, that was the final episode of the season. Over all? This was a...pretty good season. It had more good then bad. It started off great, kind of dipped in quality substantially, then quickly rose back up to becoming a FAIRLY decent show. It's requirement to stay locked firmly within the Status Quo box hurt it a lot, and I hope in the future they're able to get away from that. As it stands the only real negative I can give is...there's really no plot beyond getting Mom back, and we've got one or two things that could help with that in a 13 episode season. We're not heroes, we're not rebels, we're just people living with pirates, trying to get our Mom back maybe if we are able to. It's kind of weird. We've got a prophecy and opening narration that makes Mahad and Lena a big deal, they're the ONLY way to stop the Sphere...and really all they've done is sit around doing random stuff.

Oh, one last personal thought. The Seijun powers could afford to be more unique and interesting. I was thinking it might be like say, One Piece or Needless, where the sun powered powers was just justification for whatever crazy powers they'd come up with. Instead it's a pretty down to earth psionic power set, that could afford to be elaborated on a little more since it's one of the more interesting aspects of the series. Here's hoping for better Seijun stuff next season.

So, here's MY question to you guys. What are YOUR thoughts on the series?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-08-18 at 07:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Canadian who doesn't speak French? Impossible!
    I know very little about Canada, except that it is NOT populated by giant cannibals. Please don't eat me.

From your description, I'll agree that this episode doesn't sound like finale material at all. This whole series has so far reminded me of the first Edge Chronicles book: the whiny hero(es) is thrown around the world by random chance. It's an unconnected mess with a lot of cool stuff that is usually forgotten by the next episode (slight exaggeration, tbh). Beyond the Deepwoods, though, eventually gets its act together and reveals the (admittedly still relatively weak) thread through all the chapters, has a pretty good climactic temptation scene and then leads into some books with a plot, which hasn't happened in Skylands 1.

Your overall verdict surprised me, as it looked like this was going to join RWBY in the 'good potential, bad execution and voicing' cupboard. Here's hoping that we get some development next season: I agree that a fixed status quo is a bad idea here (and in general). As I said earlier, I love the idea of the endless sky setting, but a lot of the mystries have been unexplored. We haven't seen what lies at the centre of the planet, or recieved much in the way of where the superpowers came from. There has been a bit of the history of the setting, which is good, but there has been very little to no making of history. Advantages for both sides have appeared but been dropped from existence between episodes, like the writers keep a hungry monster behind the credits to eat unwanted plot threads. This is a bad thing: monsters need to have a balanced diet, with the occasional hero for a treat.
    Before that metaphor descends into silliness, I'll head it off with a few questions: How do you feel that this stands up to RWBY? What does Skylands do better to earn a nicer verdict? Have Mahad and the others changed/become less annoying over the course of the show at all?

While individual powers are nice, I don't know how well they'd fit with the idea that these are powers that are shared by a species (instead of mutant abilities). Without a recognisable set of abilities, there's nothing to show that these super-species are the same breed. Also, having a universal set of powers didn't hurt Dragonball, but having special super forms did.

Will you be continuing beyond this series or ending the thread here? If you keep watching, maybe you can finally find a trap. Whichever it is, I've enjoyed the thread, even if it has been a little quiet at times. Thanks for doing this, and good luck with your next project.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    A Canadian who doesn't speak French? Impossible!
    I know very little about Canada, except that it is NOT populated by giant cannibals. Please don't eat me.

From your description, I'll agree that this episode doesn't sound like finale material at all. This whole series has so far reminded me of the first Edge Chronicles book: the whiny hero(es) is thrown around the world by random chance. It's an unconnected mess with a lot of cool stuff that is usually forgotten by the next episode (slight exaggeration, tbh). Beyond the Deepwoods, though, eventually gets its act together and reveals the (admittedly still relatively weak) thread through all the chapters, has a pretty good climactic temptation scene and then leads into some books with a plot, which hasn't happened in Skylands 1.

Your overall verdict surprised me, as it looked like this was going to join RWBY in the 'good potential, bad execution and voicing' cupboard. Here's hoping that we get some development next season: I agree that a fixed status quo is a bad idea here (and in general). As I said earlier, I love the idea of the endless sky setting, but a lot of the mystries have been unexplored. We haven't seen what lies at the centre of the planet, or recieved much in the way of where the superpowers came from. There has been a bit of the history of the setting, which is good, but there has been very little to no making of history. Advantages for both sides have appeared but been dropped from existence between episodes, like the writers keep a hungry monster behind the credits to eat unwanted plot threads. This is a bad thing: monsters need to have a balanced diet, with the occasional hero for a treat.
    Before that metaphor descends into silliness, I'll head it off with a few questions: How do you feel that this stands up to RWBY? What does Skylands do better to earn a nicer verdict? Have Mahad and the others changed/become less annoying over the course of the show at all?

While individual powers are nice, I don't know how well they'd fit with the idea that these are powers that are shared by a species (instead of mutant abilities). Without a recognisable set of abilities, there's nothing to show that these super-species are the same breed. Also, having a universal set of powers didn't hurt Dragonball, but having special super forms did.

Will you be continuing beyond this series or ending the thread here? If you keep watching, maybe you can finally find a trap. Whichever it is, I've enjoyed the thread, even if it has been a little quiet at times. Thanks for doing this, and good luck with your next project.
    I'd say RWBY has more POTENTIAL to be better, but Skyland is currently the better show. Like, Skyland for all it's faults, does have a good episodic pacing to it. It could due to have better arcs though. Skyland also manages to be less annoying by not being so...blatant, I guess, with their constant anime tropes and stuff. That's just my opinion though. I don't think Mahad has changed TO much, but in the last episode he was a bit more respectful in his attempts to woo Astrid, which is actually pretty good for him. Lena quickly showed she was more then just a hanger on kids with magical powers. The crew of the Saint Nezire have all shown some bit of development, mostly for Dahlia and Cheng. Cortez hasn't gotten much, but he's also the best character in the show because he punched a robot to death. Wayan's got the least development of the cast and his name was misspronounced in every episode bar one.

Also, the villain's in Skyland seem a little more competent and ever present. Our heroes haven't lost, but they haven't really WON either, except for like once. So that's satisfying...though again having a better plot that advances things would make it even better.

This is just the end of Season 1. Season 2 exists and thus will be watched. Trust me, this won't be done for another 13 episodes

10. - Top - End - #160

This is it, mon cherry*, it's time for the final episode of Skyland, season 1.
    That would be "mon chéri", and it means "my darling".

...Vector says that the last person to obtain this medal is "Shaun of Aragon", a scientist. He was awarded this medal for "almost" finishing his work on Hydrogen Oxygen Subdivision...which means he almost created water out of nothing, essentially. This...this guy was kind of a big deal. Also likely not a civilian given he's a scientist.

Mahad asks what HO subdivision is because he skipped science class. Dahlia...explains this...sort of. She says it's a "way to make water out of water" which...isn't ENTIRELY accurate, but okay. Basically the idea is that you take hydrogen and oxygen and then fuse em together to make H2O, water. Now, according to MY science teacher, the energy required to make an H2O molecule artificially like they're doing here would be so much that it would destroy an equal amount of H2O molecule's in the process, effectively giving no gain what so ever.
    Wait, Hydrogen-Oxygen Subdivision is actually a thing?

*Googles*

0 results.

This is all made up bull. They're talking about somehow duplicating (subdividing) hydrogen and oxygen. Free water from water (yes, for those of you watching at home, they state as much in that scene). Not what you've assumed, which would be Hydrogen-Oxygen Bonding.

Cortez grills Max for awhile, until suddenly Mahad and Astrid show up at the door! Mahad has something to tell them. Max is all like "Astrid, you told them?" and she goes "I had to. They want to help us Daddy" which is a little uncomfortable because people who'd be around 17 years old likely wouldn't call their Dad "Daddy" anymore.
    If she is that old (how are we so sure she is that old?), she may still do that. I know people who do.

Mahad apparently has no concept of revenge. Neither does Vector, who agree's with this plan, saying that if everyone could create water themselves, it'd end the Sphere dictator ship. Not...not exactly, guys. Anyway, this convinces Shaun, and they head off to create infinite water for everyone which certainly won't incite Sphere to just blow that **** up.
    Access to water is one of the things keeping active rebellion in check. This would undermine it.

...the plan involves Vector feeding Max lines. Problem, he's kind of half deaf because he says watering cans instead of "water can" at one point, and other such goofs. Vector is absolutely bothered by this incompetence, but it seems to be working. Emphasis on seems to. The lie is that "Shaun" totally found out a way to create water and energy out of itself.
    And stated it here again.

This is why you splurge for the better carrier, guys.
    I giggled.

---

Also, in as much as this is the season finale, I don't think this is a season finale, or indeed, there even were two seasons. I mean, even the first two episodes of "Season 2" were broadcast less than two months after the end of this "season".

11. - Top - End - #161

That would be "mon chéri", and it means "my darling".
    I know, it was the spelling I was iffy on

Wait, Hydrogen-Oxygen Subdivision is actually a thing?

*Googles*

0 results.

This is all made up bull. They're talking about somehow duplicating (subdividing) hydrogen and oxygen. Free water from water (yes, for those of you watching at home, they state as much in that scene). Not what you've assumed, which would be Hydrogen-Oxygen Bonding.
    Yes, that's what I meant. They're completely talking out their ass, but THEORETICALLY there is something SORT OF like what they're doing in real life, so I decided to talk about that for a bit. Sorry for the lack of clarity

If she is that old (how are we so sure she is that old?), she may still do that. I know people who do.
    I'm going on the assumption she's 17 because Dahlia, who is like 23, is the same height as her and Mahad (Mahad being 17). So basically just talking out my ass here as well

Access to water is one of the things keeping active rebellion in check. This would undermine it.
    And then the Sphere would blow the **** out of it and impose harsher restrictions. They'd need more then free water to completely destroy the Sphere

Also, in as much as this is the season finale, I don't think this is a season finale, or indeed, there even were two seasons. I mean, even the first two episodes of "Season 2" were broadcast less than two months after the end of this "season".
    True, but according to the episode guide, the series IS divided into two 13 episode seasons. Weather it was intended or not, this is sort of how it works. I mean I suppose it does anyway.

12. - Top - End - #162

And then the Sphere would blow the **** out of it and impose harsher restrictions. They'd need more then free water to completely destroy the Sphere
    Not if every island and their dogs had it, they couldn't stop everyone everwhere all at once. This is what they were talking about doing.

True, but according to the episode guide, the series IS divided into two 13 episode seasons. Weather it was intended or not, this is sort of how it works. I mean I suppose it does anyway.
    Mostly I mean, one shouldn't really expect a season finale cliffhanger episode from an episode not intended to be a season finale.

13. - Top - End - #163

Not if every island and their dogs had it, they couldn't stop everyone everwhere all at once. This is what they were talking about doing.

Mostly I mean, one shouldn't really expect a season finale cliffhanger episode from an episode not intended to be a season finale.
    Both good points. I guess it'd make sense if the Season Finale really...isn't, if they didn't realize it'd BE the season finale at the time.

14. - Top - End - #164

Oh hey, just a note. Work's going to be rough for the next two weeks, so I am taking a two week vacation from Skyland. Please be sure to continue discussing the series. To help this every Friday I will provide a new subject matter for which we can discuss!

This friday: How could we improve the Seijun powers?

15. - Top - End - #165

Arrggahh! Don't post interesting topics while I'm stuck in Spain! I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep using this computer! (not entirely serious)

Seriously, weekly discussions are a good way to keep the thread alive. My hiatused Let's watch drops down the list like a brick without bi-daily feeding, and as I'm indisposed for a couple of weeks I expect it to be on the third page by the time I get back to it.

Anyway, do Seijun powers need improving? Akira only had the standard psychic abilities for most of the movie and it was a great movie. What I think Skylands really needs is some explanation about the powers. Why is Lena superpowered and her brother isn't? How long have Seijuns been around? What is their effective range?

Part of the problem is that I think that there needs to be a clear theme to the seijun powers (as I mentioned earlier) so they don't come across as arbitary superhero stuff. There needs to be a sense that there's a species with a set of abilities. This means that species needs to have a unified group of powers, with only small variations. Some individuals could have a talent for various powers: Diwan could be very good at telekinesis, as she's the primary muscle of the Sphere; Lena could be a natural at energy blasts so she can't invalidate the plot but can outfight Diwan; Oslo would primarily be a telepath, but his supercharging habit and age means he can bring a lot of power to bear in any disicipline; Mila could be good at leaving behind memories.

An idea that strikes me is that seijuns could have a theme or Shape to their powers, like lightning, fire or rain. This would mostly be cosmetic, but in seijun-to-seijun combat it may give an advantage, like trees strangling and blocking a sandstorm. I don't want this to affect what a Seijun can do to the world, but there would be a way to go 'deeper' when fighting another psychic (not ruling out psychic humans yet). Going deeper would increase the amount of power you could throw at your opponent, but it would also draw you closer to them. You would have to actively work at blocking them and the Shape of your mind/powers would have more of an effect on the battle.

I would also like to see a way to use what we've seen so far to have a sort of super mode machine for Lena (and other Seijuns). This looks like a great way to combat Oslo's power, but runs the risk of our heroine losing control and harming her allies, or even being damaged (catching cancer ) by too much use. And, of course, I want to see more symbiote, or however it's spelt.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-08-22 at 05:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

16. - Top - End - #166

Arrggahh! Don't post interesting topics while I'm stuck in Spain! I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep using this computer! (not entirely serious)
    I am history's greatest monster.

Anyway, do Seijun powers need improving? Akira only had the standard psychic abilities for most of the movie and it was a great movie. What I think Skylands really needs is some explanation about the powers. Why is Lena superpowered and her brother isn't? How long have Seijuns been around? What is their effective range?
    Akira is a far different environment from Skyland. The powers in Akira are the entire point of the series, and are given the attention and scale they deserve. Skyland's not really done that I feel, we need more of it. It's been implied Seijun have been around since Skyland first "happened" for lack of a better term.

Part of the problem is that I think that there needs to be a clear theme to the seijun powers (as I mentioned earlier) so they don't come across as arbitary superhero stuff. There needs to be a sense that there's a species with a set of abilities. This means that species needs to have a unified group of powers, with only small variations. Some individuals could have a talent for various powers: Diwan could be very good at telekinesis, as she's the primary muscle of the Sphere; Lena could be a natural at energy blasts so she can't invalidate the plot but can outfight Diwan; Oslo would primarily be a telepath, but his supercharging habit and age means he can bring a lot of power to bear in any disicipline; Mila could be good at leaving behind memories.
    THAT would be really cool. Having that focus would greatest improve the series, I feel. Or, as you said below.

An idea that strikes me is that seijuns could have a theme or Shape to their powers, like lightning, fire or rain. This would mostly be cosmetic, but in seijun-to-seijun combat it may give an advantage, like trees strangling and blocking a sandstorm. I don't want this to affect what a Seijun can do to the world, but there would be a way to go 'deeper' when fighting another psychic (not ruling out psychic humans yet). Going deeper would increase the amount of power you could throw at your opponent, but it would also draw you closer to them. You would have to actively work at blocking them and the Shape of your mind/powers would have more of an effect on the battle.
    THIS was what I was EXPECTING when I got into this. Crazy random powers all powered by the sun.

I would also like to see a way to use what we've seen so far to have a sort of super mode machine for Lena (and other Seijuns). This looks like a great way to combat Oslo's power, but runs the risk of our heroine losing control and harming her allies, or even being damaged (catching cancer ) by too much use. And, of course, I want to see more symbiote, or however it's spelt.
    Same here to both of those but it's UNLIKELY we'll be seeing them again, if the track record of the show is to be taken as it is.

17. - Top - End - #167

Akira is a far different environment from Skyland. The powers in Akira are the entire point of the series, and are given the attention and scale they deserve. Skyland's not really done that I feel, we need more of it. It's been implied Seijun have been around since Skyland first "happened" for lack of a better term.
    I thought that the point of Akira was that cities and nations are inherently unstable constructs. /pedantry.
    Yes, though, Akira dwells alot lot more on the scale and importance of the powers, even if if starts going off the scale towards the end.

Like I said, it's not that the powers need improving, it's that they need to give them more focus.

THAT would be really cool. Having that focus would greatest improve the series, I feel. Or, as you said below.
    Everyone would have the same powers, but some would be better at some things than others, like some people can run for a longer time, or have good hand-eye coordination. It should be possible for a seijun to train to be a greater laserer than Lena, but she'll always have an easier time blasting things and need less training to stay ahead. Oslo would probably be old enough to have a working knowledge of all talents and be able to outpower any uncharged seijun. He'd probably not have much fine control over things he has no talent for: eg If he tries to teleport (assuming that's a thing) but isn't very good at it, he'd have a huge range and upper limit on how much matter he can teleport, but not be very accurate as to where he ended up.

THIS was what I was EXPECTING when I got into this. Crazy random powers all powered by the sun.
    The idea is not so much that these are not powers so much as representations of the mind. When tasked with re-imagining something, I generally try to keep as close to the original concept as possible.

If you're just beating back Brigs or Muggles, there won't be much difference from normal Akira/Dragonball antics, but when two psychics meet it's time to open the special effects cupboard.
    Going Deeper essentially means drawing away from the physical world, where who you are shapes your form more than your genetic and chemical makeup. Normal psychic attacks require mentally reaching out and holding on to your target; during combat in the Deep every movement is some kind of mental attack or defence.
    Seijuns would have to work out how their Shape corresponds to fighting and which parts of their personality to draw upon to win. If Lena's powers resemble light, her anger or joy could become destructive rays, while her hope and faith could become a protective aura. This would change for each Seijun, obviously.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-08-23 at 04:17 PM. Reason: removing unwanted line break
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

Oh hey, just a note. Work's going to be rough for the next two weeks, so I am taking a two week vacation from Skyland. Please be sure to continue discussing the series. To help this every Friday I will provide a new subject matter for which we can discuss!
    Nooooooooooooo........

Seriously. I am very disappointed, but you do what you've gotta do.

19. - Top - End - #169

I thought that the point of Akira was that cities and nations are inherently unstable constructs. /pedantry.
    Yes, though, Akira dwells alot lot more on the scale and importance of the powers, even if if starts going off the scale towards the end.
    Spoilers I haven't actually seen or read Akira I am terrible I know.

*lots of really cool ideas.
    Man, that's all REALLY awesome. Hoping Skyland gets to something like that next season

Nooooooooooooo........

Seriously. I am very disappointed, but you do what you've gotta do.
    Trust me, I'd RATHER not be working two weeks, 8 to 8, at a job that hasn't paid me in over a year. But I kind of have to. Once that's done on the 5th I can start up with Season 2! In the meanwhile, do feel free to discuss things, as I will be putting up topics for discussion, and will have time between sleeping and the days off I will have (mostly weekends) to discuss them as well!

Stay strong Rawhide, stay strong

20. - Top - End - #170

Spoilers I haven't actually seen or read Akira I am terrible I know.
    I've only seen the movie, myself. It's awesome. I'd lend you my copy, but there's a small obstacle known locally as the Atlantic.

Man, that's all REALLY awesome. Hoping Skyland gets to something like that next season
    Oh, thanks. I hope I haven't killed the discussion pre-emptively; My imagination runs away with me sometimes. You should see what Star Power forced me to come up with.

Also, come on guys. We can't keep this thread going with only four people, three of who drop in almost at random. Alternate Seijun power ideas, go!
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Also, come on guys. We can't keep this thread going with only four people, three of who drop in almost at random. Alternate Seijun power ideas, go!
    The power to make LaZodiac watch the next few episodes?

22. - Top - End - #172

The power to make LaZodiac watch the next few episodes?
    Well, depending on how my two weeks of work actually go, I MIGHT be able to watch on Monday at least. WE'LL SEE.

Jeez, your insistence on having me watch more makes me think something interesting is gonna happen

23. - Top - End - #173

Well, depending on how my two weeks of work actually go, I MIGHT be able to watch on Monday at least. WE'LL SEE.

Jeez, your insistence on having me watch more makes me think something interesting is gonna happen
    You have no idea.

24. - Top - End - #174

You have no idea.
    Good news, have confirmed that I'm free tomorrow afternoon barring any last minute bullcrap, so I'll be able to do an episode tomorrow! After morning work.

25. - Top - End - #175

Good news, have confirmed that I'm free tomorrow afternoon barring any last minute bullcrap, so I'll be able to do an episode tomorrow! After morning work.
    Woooooo! Just, ah, don't expect anything much. I'm not actually suggesting that anything is anything. But then again, I'm also not suggesting that nothing is nothing either.

26. - Top - End - #176

Woooooo! Just, ah, don't expect anything much. I'm not actually suggesting that anything is anything. But then again, I'm also not suggesting that nothing is nothing either.
    All is all. Viva All. Viva viva viva viva all. Viva all.

Sorry that's just what your comment there reminds me of. Go watch Space Dandy.

27. - Top - End - #177

All is all. Viva All. Viva viva viva viva all. Viva all.

Sorry that's just what your comment there reminds me of. Go watch Space Dandy.
    Vive la, vive la, vive l'amour. Vive la, vive la, vive l'amour. Vive l'amour, vive l'amour, vive la compagnie!

28. - Top - End - #178

Okay! Back from work, chicken consumed, lets start Skyland Season 2!

Episode 14: Shadows of the Past

Spoiler
    Show
    ...interesting. This episode title could mean anything.

We open with...Oslo, in the monolith. Or at least I assume it is, because one of the Brig's on board asks Oslo why he isn't taking a shuttle, because this is a water carrier. First of all, Brig's are inteligent enough to NOTICE THIS, but not enough to...ANYTHING ELSE THAT HAS HAPPENED. Alright. Anyway Oslo cuts him off, saying that a shuttle would record his journey, while a water carrier wouldn't.

I'm...not sure why a water carrier wouldn't, but alright. After ordering them to ensure no one knows about this, he prepares to leave...before having a sudden headache and super fast flashbacks. In...interesting. A villain oriented episode would be super great, honestly.

Oooh, okay. It WAS the monolith, but he was deploying one of the Monolith's water carriers. Okay. Also water carriers make little poot poot noises as they fly it's kind of silly. Also, he has a Brig Shuttle escort...wouldn't THEIR brigs scan THEIR movements, thus making his attempts to not be followed pointless? Does he expect them to just sort of die?

MEANWHILE, Mahad and Lena are in the Hyperion, trying to find the Sahara block. I...question what they need to find a dessert for, but this would at least be a really cool place to explore if they did find it! However, it seems their data is wrong, and they can't seem to find it. And that's the point! They're testing one of Vector's block movement theories, so the block being not there means Vector is right. That's kind of cool actually.

Mahad says that hey, maybe one day Vector can do some experiments on the benefits of loafing around. He's be perfectly willing to be a test subject (only he says the name of the small pig rodent creature I just cannot spell to save my life). That's actually a kind of funny joke. Also I just noticed that they don't really blink much and that's creepy.

OH hey, the Hyperion came across a water tanker. Lena wonders why it's out here, since there's only dessert out here. I'd...argue those places would need the MOST water, but I'd also argue that when Lena says "only deseert" she also means like, no one LIVES out here, so that makes sense. Anyway, Mahad is totally gonna go piratize it, so they fly over to intercept.

Meanwhile on the water carrier, the Brig pilot detects an unknown vehicle approaching. Oslo orders it to be destroyed, then suffers another bout of Flashbacks. The shuttles then start attacking the Hyperion. Mahad easily dispatches two of them, but nine more show up. Holy crap Oslo, whatever this water carrier is going to must be important if you pack 11 shuttles total into your squad.

...unfortunately for basically everyone involved the only real way to get away from all the shuttles is to go strait through the water carrier. Even worse, a storm suddenly springs up, so now they're both sailing blind. Uh oh. Oslo then orders the Brig piloting his carrier to set course for the "Vandigard" block. Interesting. He then adds that he "must be alone" and slowly staggers towards the Brigs that are piloting. After they set the course...he destroys each Brig. Well then.

A note: The seijun powers look suddenly MUCH more elaborate. His hands are glowing and pulsating with electricity and light as normal, but as he touches each Brig, the hand touching it flares up as if he's focusing energy into that hand specifically, and it's kind of coo. He fries the Brigs. He then, with haggard breath, orders the shuttles to return to the docking bay. So now we know what his intent was with the Brigs. He'd just kill them himself and wipe the records.

Unfortunately, Mahad and Lena are able to easily navigate the random storm, and continue the pursuit of the water carrier. Back on the water carrier itself...Oslo orders the Brig's to all MARCH OFF THE EDGE OF THE LOADING BAY, TO THEIR DEATHS, all while mumbling "No one must know. No one...". This is ****ing macabre folks, especially since...Brig's might actually be sapient, if stupid. Good lord.

Mahad and Lena see this and are kinda freaked out by it for COMPLETELY understandable reasons. Also, weird thing, none of these Brig's have arm cannons. Could there be different variants of Brig's, and the more fragile ones we saw are just pilots with guns attached instead of actual fighter mechs, and there's not APPRECIABLY visual difference due to the need to save money?

Oh hey, a single block with a lamp post and a yellow cap on it. This is ALSO one of the Saint Neziere's listening posts. I'll note that as cool as this is, I must wonder if they set up the blocks to LOOK like that, or if that taxi cab somehow managed to survive a decade on a single floating rock. Anyway, Cortez just tells Wayan to radio Mahad and tell him to pursue the carrier...which he's already doing so okay. I don't see why we need to spend a scene on this, but alright. Maybe it's to show the slightly fancier models of everyone, because everyone seems a lot shinier now, like the Brigs.

Oslo leaves the loading bay, and sadly for him is unable to close it up before the Hyperion docks with it. I really do wonder WHAT the hell is going on with Oslo. He's got his powers still, so he won't be easy to beat...but he's suffering from a case of Flashbacks so that puts him at a severe disadvantage.

...interesting. While on board the water carrier, their radio stops sending a signal. Oslo must be blocking signals somehow. WHAT ARE YOU DOING OSLO IS IT A TRAP D:.

Lena accurately says that this is creepy, exploring a huge water carrier with seemingly nothing on it. Mahad is less freaked out and intends to steal this for Port Angel. Unfortunately for THEM, Cortez and Wayan communicate with Vector about what the sonar of their listening post found, and...apparently the water carrier IS empty of all water. Interesting.

...okay, Lena, I get that you're freaked out, and maybe your Seijun powers are flucuating because of whatever is happening to Oslo, but holy crap tone it down a bit. She starts giving a "hey if we don't get out of this, I just want you to know you're a good brother" speech to Mahad which seems ENTIRELY UNCALLED FOR. What dark thoughts have you been HAVING miss?

Mahad laughs and says she's a good sister, "even if being a Seijun makes you worry to much". I'll be honest, that IS a good explanation. She's basically a super human, being worried about her squishy normo brother would make sense. They head into the bridge to find Oslo, where upon Mahad immediately says "I promise not to question your Seijun senses again" which is actually kind of funny. Dude expected weak Brig's he might be able to take out, not OSLO.

Oslo starts chanting "no one must no" again, and charges up to zap them...but can't, and falls to the deck, moaning out "Darius" before apparently becoming unconcious. Huh. Mahad goes three for three on successful jokes by quipping "alright, I give up" to Oslo's unconcious body.

Lena is very confused. She doesn't understand why this is happening. It occurs to me I haven't theorized why, but I guess that's just sort of because it's obvious his horrible living conditions, ie bathing in sunlight 24/7, has caught up with him. He might ACTUALLY be dying of Flashback Cancer.

Lena notes that Oslo doesn't look good and before I can quip that he's pale as ****, I notice that OH MY GOD, he looks...A LOT ****ing worse then normal. Like, he looks sickly pale even for HIM. Mahad then...comes up with a good plan. Lets capture Oslo and trade him for our mother. Lena notes that as far as she can tell, Oslo's just gonna strait up and DIE if he doesn't get to wherever he wanted to go. Holy crap, the only people apparently able to save the villain is our heroes. Again.

Mahad...SHOWS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and says "okay, but we have to tell Cortez what is going on". MAHAD, when did you start being level headed about...ANYTHING? Did the few months of break give the writers time to actually improve on their writing, like how the animators seem to have improved the models?

Anyway, they call Cortez and he says he doesn't want them running off without him. Mahad says they kind of CAN'T, because the ships on autopilot and he can't change it's course. Also the course is encrypted so he can't actually find out WHERE it's going. Meanwhile, Lena's imparting some of her energy to Oslo to keep him from up and dying, and I like the effect her. Her hands are sparkling and shiny lights, like stars, are floating around Oslo. This is cool, I'm glad that visually at least the powers seem to be getting more elaborate.

While doing this, Lena starts getting visions, which include the Flashbacks Oslo was having, and some of his more recent memories. Interesting. She then stops giving him energy, and starts into a flashback proper instead of random clips. It's of a large mansion in a snowy area, of a man who looks and dresses kind of like Oslo but in grey, and with hair. He appears to be sick as well, suffering from the same thing Oslo might be suffering from...but then it ends and Mahad's got Lena's in his arms, asking if she's okay. She is, and she mentions it's "as if Oslo is focusing all his energy one a single place."

Oslo starts getting up, saying that "finally, we are together." which is a little creepy, especially given that this is the SECOND time they've been together. I assume he means the weird mental link they had for awhile. Lena says he should conserve his strength, since that's all she's going to give him. Oslo starts getting angry, telling them to take him to Vandingard, take him to Darius. He swings at Lena, but then collapses in a heap again. SOMETHING is clearly up in the state of Denmark here. Possibly literally.

Meanwhile in that castle...showing that at least some of the clips aren't flashbacks, a blue haired butler asks the man who looks like Oslo with hair what he wants. He says "my brother is coming." to which the butler replies "Oslo is coming here?" LE GASP! Oslo has a brother, and his brother ISN'T a cancerous, hairless monster. He IS rich though.

The Master, who is probably Darius, tells his butler to ready the Light Room...whatever that is. Possibly the same kind of room that Oslo uses? The butler says "but master, you can't use the Light Room again so soon, it's too dangerous." to which possibly Darius replies "It's the only way to save him. My brother's lust for power has poisoned him." which basically confirms that yes, Oslo has turned himself into a horrific lump of cancer and apparently his brother is the only one with chemotherapy? But apparently it's harmful to him to use it...interesting.

Darius begins to have a head ache, which makes his butler run to his side. Darius puts up a hand to stop him and says "I'm alright, old friend." and immediately makes it clear Darius is the good brother of the two. He cements this further by, when his butler says not to let himself get poisoned too, he simply responds "He can't just let his brother die." which is COMPLETELY understandable. ******* or not, Oslo is his bro.

Oh hey, well delivered exposition. The butler tells him to look around, he's here because Oslo exiled him here. All I see is a kickin' rad mansion, in an area that snows so therefor has near unlimited water. This sounds like PARADISE compared to some of the places he could be exiled. The butler then says "you CAN let him die" which is DARK AS **** holy crap. That's what I expected the Butler to BELIEVE, and perhaps TRY to say, but this is a kids show I figured he'd get cut off. Not that they'd allow him to strait up earnestly say that no, no you COULD let him die, quite easily.

Darius simply answers "He is my brother, Baldur" and leaves it at that, as we cut back to the water carrier.

I cannot stress how...EVERYTHING RIGHT that ENTIRE scene was. Holy crap.

Also, I've been calling this ship a water carrier the entire time, but I'd like to note that only Oslo calls it that. Everyone all calls it a water tanker. Additionally, while Darius called it the Light Room, Oslo mumbles in his half unconcious half sleep state "Light Chamber". I like this touch, Oslo uses fancier words. But yeah, Lena reports that Oslo is fine...just mumbling random words and stuff, and always the same ones. We then see a reveal that the water tanker has landed, and it's at a large snowy mountain with a mansion on top of it. Mahad guesses that this is Vandergard (this is the third spelling I've used for it because I just cannot tell) and Lena says it is, because this is what she saw in her vision when they connected.

Mahad says this place looks ugly, and that it's clearly not Sphere territory. First of all, he's right that it doesn't look Sphere. Secondly he is WRONG that this looks ugly. It looks REALLY cool and I like it.

Anyway, it seems that most of what Oslo has been muttering is "everything they need to understand what his plan here is" which is to contact his brother to get into the Light Chamber to recharge his energy. Mahad brings up the point that uh...if they save him, where does this put THEM? Cause they'll be kind of screwed if he gets to max power and they're just sort of THERE, you know.

Lena and Mahad have a pretty reasonably argument here. Can't use him to get mother back if he's dead, but also can't do that if he captures them, which is what getting him charged up will lead to. Lena brings up the point that right now he's unconcious and dying and therefor isn't a threat to them, so before they can even consider him POSSIBLY being charged to full, they have to at least make him not be a corpse. That's enough for Mahad, so they fly the water tanker closer to the mansion.

Meanwhile with Darius, Balder continues to try and convince Darius to let Oslo die, that he cannot survive another use of the Light Chamber. Darius says their mother died when they were young, and they OWE IT to her memory to stay alive. A noble reason, especially with the brother connection. Also, judging from Darius's appearance, I think they might be twins. Not sure though.

They land outside the mansion, manage to get Oslo up, and head out to meet Balder and Darius. Darius orders Balder to get him inside, but Mahad and Lena insist that they have something to say. Mostly, oh hey Oslo has our mother captured, which is the only reason we didn't let him rot. Mahad asks Darius to only give him enough energy to keep him from dying, so they can trade him for their mother. That's...going to be a hard decision, I imagine.

It's telling that even OSLO is okay wit this plan, in so much as it's to get Darius into the Light Chamber. Balder is against this, but Lena says "please, it's for our mother" and Oslo adds "yes, don't you remember our mother?". Darius responds that she died so that they both may live. Balder goes at Oslo, but Darius stops him before he can get closer enough to throttle him, telling him to "let it go."

Balder, for his case, repeats that Oslo is "pure evil" which gets Oslo to smirk a bit. Mahad says it's fine, they'll make sure Oslo only gets enough energy to live. Balder says it's not that easy, but Darius insists it'll be fine. They then proceed into the mansion.

Inside, Oslo is put into a weird energy machine pulsating with blue Seijun energy. Darius explains that they were twins, born minutes apart. If not for Darius's existence, Oslo would of been twice as strong as he is now. Lena says that's impossible, but Oslo says that no, no it is. If not for his brother he would of gotten all the Seijun energy from their mother, but since they were twins it had to be split. So it seems that a Seijun can only have one Seijun kid? Guess Mahad got ****ed over then . That or Coidzor is right and he IS Cortez's bastard child...though he looks and acts far to much like his Dad for that to be true. Oslo also adds that inside him is where that power belongs.

So, I have an idea of how this machine works. It transfers Seijun power. That's...a really interesting device, to be sure. Meanwhile, Mahad and Balder are talking about how Darius is a constant reminder of Oslo's own weakness, and thus why he was exiled here. Mahad UNDERSTANDABLY notes that hey, Oslo is not even REMOTELY weak, what are you talking about? Balder RIGHTLY says that for someone like Oslo, anything LESS then ABSOLUTE power IS weakness. I'll leave the arguements about that to you guys, because it could honestly go either way.

Also it's worth noting that even LENA at this point is a little unsure this plan will work. Balder says to listen to her, end Oslo's tyranny over him, over the world! Oslo attempts to convince his brother by saying this time, it'll be different. They'll rule together this time. Lena just says to remember their plan. Darius says he will, but that he does have to go into the chamber completely to give Oslo power.

...OSLO then says the creepiest ****ing thing, saying that him being in the chamber is "as brothers are meant to be". I get what he's saying, that brothers are supposed to be side by side in everything, but considering...EVERYTHING, that sounds VERY creepy and threatening. I don't think Darius is getting out of this.

Darius goes in...but he's giving Oslo too much. Balder tries to stop it by the circuits are overloading. Something is going wrong. Or right, in Oslo's case. Lena can FEEL the power coursing through the air, and it hurts. Oslo says that this is how it should be. The strong survive, the weak perish. I'm thinking Oslo's and Darius' mom died in childbirth. Darius is bent over in pain. Lena tells Mahad to get Darius, which he does with some hesitation (he's not a Seijun and has to go into an area that is billowing with Seijun energy and could be dangerous, so it's understandable).

He gets Darius out...but too late. I think Oslo's gotten to max power. He's laughing maniacally and is literally on fire with power. Everyone gets onto the water tanker to escape, useful since the Saint Neziere is on it's way. Darius is okay, but he's hurting bad, but all he can think is "what did I do to my brother?". Damn Darius, you're WAY to brotherly to Oslo.

They go to take off, but Oslo...Oslo says no. He uses his powers to grab the entire ship. He then starts FORCE CRUSHING IT. I'd recommend getting to the Hyperion but that ship is a little less armoured then the water tanker so that might be a bad idea. So instead they just gun the engines and hope they can escape Oslo's overwhelming power. But they can't.

Suddenly Cortez says "Need a little help, my young friends?" and opens fire with the foreward facing fun of the Saint Neziere. IT HITS OSLO DIRECTLY, SENDING HIM FLYING, and freeing the water tanker from his grasp. NOW that they're safe to get into the Hyperion, they do so and follow after the Naziere to escape.

Later on the Naziere, Cortez says he knows a remote location in the Redwood Block that he'll be able to hide in. Darius appreciates it. Lena then talks to Mahad, saying that being between the two Light Chamber rooms, feeling that power transfer from Darius to Oslo...it felt so horrible, just FEELING it. She can't imagine what it must be like to actually have it. She says she never wants to feel like that again.

Back with Oslo...he gets up from being blasted by the cannon on a battleship. That enough is impressive, but he's apparently undamaged. What's worse...he's stronger then ever. He's still buffed up. He raises his hands as the white blue flames of his power envelop him and says "till we meet again". His laugh fades us out to the credits.

Well, that was the episode. My thoughts?

...holy ****. That was AWESOME. It's not AS good as it could of been, if only because the episodes preceding it, while good, where just GOOD. however, this doesn't really impact how good this episode is at all. Like...holy crap. The plot was interesting and intriguing, the interactions between characters are good and the acting is quite good, especially for this series. Oslo's voice actor, one of the better ones, knocks it out of the park. Seeing more of Oslo's past is also VERY interesting, and holy crap we got a lot of information about Seijuns from this, as well as a more elaborated look on how their powers look.

All in all this was GREAT, and an amazing start for the season. Lets hope they keep up this flow, and even if they don't I'm sure the episode will at least be GOOD.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Okay! Back from work, chicken consumed, lets start Skyland Season 2!

Episode 14: Shadows of the Past

Spoiler
    Show
    ...interesting. This episode title could mean anything.

We open with...Oslo, in the monolith. Or at least I assume it is, because one of the Brig's on board asks Oslo why he isn't taking a shuttle, because this is a water carrier. First of all, Brig's are inteligent enough to NOTICE THIS, but not enough to...ANYTHING ELSE THAT HAS HAPPENED. Alright. Anyway Oslo cuts him off, saying that a shuttle would record his journey, while a water carrier wouldn't.

I'm...not sure why a water carrier wouldn't, but alright. After ordering them to ensure no one knows about this, he prepares to leave...before having a sudden headache and super fast flashbacks. In...interesting. A villain oriented episode would be super great, honestly.

Oooh, okay. It WAS the monolith, but he was deploying one of the Monolith's water carriers. Okay. Also water carriers make little poot poot noises as they fly it's kind of silly. Also, he has a Brig Shuttle escort...wouldn't THEIR brigs scan THEIR movements, thus making his attempts to not be followed pointless? Does he expect them to just sort of die?

MEANWHILE, Mahad and Lena are in the Hyperion, trying to find the Sahara block. I...question what they need to find a dessert for, but this would at least be a really cool place to explore if they did find it! However, it seems their data is wrong, and they can't seem to find it. And that's the point! They're testing one of Vector's block movement theories, so the block being not there means Vector is right. That's kind of cool actually.

Mahad says that hey, maybe one day Vector can do some experiments on the benefits of loafing around. He's be perfectly willing to be a test subject (only he says the name of the small pig rodent creature I just cannot spell to save my life). That's actually a kind of funny joke. Also I just noticed that they don't really blink much and that's creepy.

OH hey, the Hyperion came across a water tanker. Lena wonders why it's out here, since there's only dessert out here. I'd...argue those places would need the MOST water, but I'd also argue that when Lena says "only deseert" she also means like, no one LIVES out here, so that makes sense. Anyway, Mahad is totally gonna go piratize it, so they fly over to intercept.

Meanwhile on the water carrier, the Brig pilot detects an unknown vehicle approaching. Oslo orders it to be destroyed, then suffers another bout of Flashbacks. The shuttles then start attacking the Hyperion. Mahad easily dispatches two of them, but nine more show up. Holy crap Oslo, whatever this water carrier is going to must be important if you pack 11 shuttles total into your squad.

...unfortunately for basically everyone involved the only real way to get away from all the shuttles is to go strait through the water carrier. Even worse, a storm suddenly springs up, so now they're both sailing blind. Uh oh. Oslo then orders the Brig piloting his carrier to set course for the "Vandigard" block. Interesting. He then adds that he "must be alone" and slowly staggers towards the Brigs that are piloting. After they set the course...he destroys each Brig. Well then.

A note: The seijun powers look suddenly MUCH more elaborate. His hands are glowing and pulsating with electricity and light as normal, but as he touches each Brig, the hand touching it flares up as if he's focusing energy into that hand specifically, and it's kind of coo. He fries the Brigs. He then, with haggard breath, orders the shuttles to return to the docking bay. So now we know what his intent was with the Brigs. He'd just kill them himself and wipe the records.

Unfortunately, Mahad and Lena are able to easily navigate the random storm, and continue the pursuit of the water carrier. Back on the water carrier itself...Oslo orders the Brig's to all MARCH OFF THE EDGE OF THE LOADING BAY, TO THEIR DEATHS, all while mumbling "No one must know. No one...". This is ****ing macabre folks, especially since...Brig's might actually be sapient, if stupid. Good lord.

Mahad and Lena see this and are kinda freaked out by it for COMPLETELY understandable reasons. Also, weird thing, none of these Brig's have arm cannons. Could there be different variants of Brig's, and the more fragile ones we saw are just pilots with guns attached instead of actual fighter mechs, and there's not APPRECIABLY visual difference due to the need to save money?

Oh hey, a single block with a lamp post and a yellow cap on it. This is ALSO one of the Saint Neziere's listening posts. I'll note that as cool as this is, I must wonder if they set up the blocks to LOOK like that, or if that taxi cab somehow managed to survive a decade on a single floating rock. Anyway, Cortez just tells Wayan to radio Mahad and tell him to pursue the carrier...which he's already doing so okay. I don't see why we need to spend a scene on this, but alright. Maybe it's to show the slightly fancier models of everyone, because everyone seems a lot shinier now, like the Brigs.

Oslo leaves the loading bay, and sadly for him is unable to close it up before the Hyperion docks with it. I really do wonder WHAT the hell is going on with Oslo. He's got his powers still, so he won't be easy to beat...but he's suffering from a case of Flashbacks so that puts him at a severe disadvantage.

...interesting. While on board the water carrier, their radio stops sending a signal. Oslo must be blocking signals somehow. WHAT ARE YOU DOING OSLO IS IT A TRAP D:.

Lena accurately says that this is creepy, exploring a huge water carrier with seemingly nothing on it. Mahad is less freaked out and intends to steal this for Port Angel. Unfortunately for THEM, Cortez and Wayan communicate with Vector about what the sonar of their listening post found, and...apparently the water carrier IS empty of all water. Interesting.

...okay, Lena, I get that you're freaked out, and maybe your Seijun powers are flucuating because of whatever is happening to Oslo, but holy crap tone it down a bit. She starts giving a "hey if we don't get out of this, I just want you to know you're a good brother" speech to Mahad which seems ENTIRELY UNCALLED FOR. What dark thoughts have you been HAVING miss?

Mahad laughs and says she's a good sister, "even if being a Seijun makes you worry to much". I'll be honest, that IS a good explanation. She's basically a super human, being worried about her squishy normo brother would make sense. They head into the bridge to find Oslo, where upon Mahad immediately says "I promise not to question your Seijun senses again" which is actually kind of funny. Dude expected weak Brig's he might be able to take out, not OSLO.

Oslo starts chanting "no one must no" again, and charges up to zap them...but can't, and falls to the deck, moaning out "Darius" before apparently becoming unconcious. Huh. Mahad goes three for three on successful jokes by quipping "alright, I give up" to Oslo's unconcious body.

Lena is very confused. She doesn't understand why this is happening. It occurs to me I haven't theorized why, but I guess that's just sort of because it's obvious his horrible living conditions, ie bathing in sunlight 24/7, has caught up with him. He might ACTUALLY be dying of Flashback Cancer.

Lena notes that Oslo doesn't look good and before I can quip that he's pale as ****, I notice that OH MY GOD, he looks...A LOT ****ing worse then normal. Like, he looks sickly pale even for HIM. Mahad then...comes up with a good plan. Lets capture Oslo and trade him for our mother. Lena notes that as far as she can tell, Oslo's just gonna strait up and DIE if he doesn't get to wherever he wanted to go. Holy crap, the only people apparently able to save the villain is our heroes. Again.

Mahad...SHOWS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and says "okay, but we have to tell Cortez what is going on". MAHAD, when did you start being level headed about...ANYTHING? Did the few months of break give the writers time to actually improve on their writing, like how the animators seem to have improved the models?

Anyway, they call Cortez and he says he doesn't want them running off without him. Mahad says they kind of CAN'T, because the ships on autopilot and he can't change it's course. Also the course is encrypted so he can't actually find out WHERE it's going. Meanwhile, Lena's imparting some of her energy to Oslo to keep him from up and dying, and I like the effect her. Her hands are sparkling and shiny lights, like stars, are floating around Oslo. This is cool, I'm glad that visually at least the powers seem to be getting more elaborate.

While doing this, Lena starts getting visions, which include the Flashbacks Oslo was having, and some of his more recent memories. Interesting. She then stops giving him energy, and starts into a flashback proper instead of random clips. It's of a large mansion in a snowy area, of a man who looks and dresses kind of like Oslo but in grey, and with hair. He appears to be sick as well, suffering from the same thing Oslo might be suffering from...but then it ends and Mahad's got Lena's in his arms, asking if she's okay. She is, and she mentions it's "as if Oslo is focusing all his energy one a single place."

Oslo starts getting up, saying that "finally, we are together." which is a little creepy, especially given that this is the SECOND time they've been together. I assume he means the weird mental link they had for awhile. Lena says he should conserve his strength, since that's all she's going to give him. Oslo starts getting angry, telling them to take him to Vandingard, take him to Darius. He swings at Lena, but then collapses in a heap again. SOMETHING is clearly up in the state of Denmark here. Possibly literally.

Meanwhile in that castle...showing that at least some of the clips aren't flashbacks, a blue haired butler asks the man who looks like Oslo with hair what he wants. He says "my brother is coming." to which the butler replies "Oslo is coming here?" LE GASP! Oslo has a brother, and his brother ISN'T a cancerous, hairless monster. He IS rich though.

The Master, who is probably Darius, tells his butler to ready the Light Room...whatever that is. Possibly the same kind of room that Oslo uses? The butler says "but master, you can't use the Light Room again so soon, it's too dangerous." to which possibly Darius replies "It's the only way to save him. My brother's lust for power has poisoned him." which basically confirms that yes, Oslo has turned himself into a horrific lump of cancer and apparently his brother is the only one with chemotherapy? But apparently it's harmful to him to use it...interesting.

Darius begins to have a head ache, which makes his butler run to his side. Darius puts up a hand to stop him and says "I'm alright, old friend." and immediately makes it clear Darius is the good brother of the two. He cements this further by, when his butler says not to let himself get poisoned too, he simply responds "He can't just let his brother die." which is COMPLETELY understandable. ******* or not, Oslo is his bro.

Oh hey, well delivered exposition. The butler tells him to look around, he's here because Oslo exiled him here. All I see is a kickin' rad mansion, in an area that snows so therefor has near unlimited water. This sounds like PARADISE compared to some of the places he could be exiled. The butler then says "you CAN let him die" which is DARK AS **** holy crap. That's what I expected the Butler to BELIEVE, and perhaps TRY to say, but this is a kids show I figured he'd get cut off. Not that they'd allow him to strait up earnestly say that no, no you COULD let him die, quite easily.

Darius simply answers "He is my brother, Baldur" and leaves it at that, as we cut back to the water carrier.

I cannot stress how...EVERYTHING RIGHT that ENTIRE scene was. Holy crap.

Also, I've been calling this ship a water carrier the entire time, but I'd like to note that only Oslo calls it that. Everyone all calls it a water tanker. Additionally, while Darius called it the Light Room, Oslo mumbles in his half unconcious half sleep state "Light Chamber". I like this touch, Oslo uses fancier words. But yeah, Lena reports that Oslo is fine...just mumbling random words and stuff, and always the same ones. We then see a reveal that the water tanker has landed, and it's at a large snowy mountain with a mansion on top of it. Mahad guesses that this is Vandergard (this is the third spelling I've used for it because I just cannot tell) and Lena says it is, because this is what she saw in her vision when they connected.

Mahad says this place looks ugly, and that it's clearly not Sphere territory. First of all, he's right that it doesn't look Sphere. Secondly he is WRONG that this looks ugly. It looks REALLY cool and I like it.

Anyway, it seems that most of what Oslo has been muttering is "everything they need to understand what his plan here is" which is to contact his brother to get into the Light Chamber to recharge his energy. Mahad brings up the point that uh...if they save him, where does this put THEM? Cause they'll be kind of screwed if he gets to max power and they're just sort of THERE, you know.

Lena and Mahad have a pretty reasonably argument here. Can't use him to get mother back if he's dead, but also can't do that if he captures them, which is what getting him charged up will lead to. Lena brings up the point that right now he's unconcious and dying and therefor isn't a threat to them, so before they can even consider him POSSIBLY being charged to full, they have to at least make him not be a corpse. That's enough for Mahad, so they fly the water tanker closer to the mansion.

Meanwhile with Darius, Balder continues to try and convince Darius to let Oslo die, that he cannot survive another use of the Light Chamber. Darius says their mother died when they were young, and they OWE IT to her memory to stay alive. A noble reason, especially with the brother connection. Also, judging from Darius's appearance, I think they might be twins. Not sure though.

They land outside the mansion, manage to get Oslo up, and head out to meet Balder and Darius. Darius orders Balder to get him inside, but Mahad and Lena insist that they have something to say. Mostly, oh hey Oslo has our mother captured, which is the only reason we didn't let him rot. Mahad asks Darius to only give him enough energy to keep him from dying, so they can trade him for their mother. That's...going to be a hard decision, I imagine.

It's telling that even OSLO is okay wit this plan, in so much as it's to get Darius into the Light Chamber. Balder is against this, but Lena says "please, it's for our mother" and Oslo adds "yes, don't you remember our mother?". Darius responds that she died so that they both may live. Balder goes at Oslo, but Darius stops him before he can get closer enough to throttle him, telling him to "let it go."

Balder, for his case, repeats that Oslo is "pure evil" which gets Oslo to smirk a bit. Mahad says it's fine, they'll make sure Oslo only gets enough energy to live. Balder says it's not that easy, but Darius insists it'll be fine. They then proceed into the mansion.

Inside, Oslo is put into a weird energy machine pulsating with blue Seijun energy. Darius explains that they were twins, born minutes apart. If not for Darius's existence, Oslo would of been twice as strong as he is now. Lena says that's impossible, but Oslo says that no, no it is. If not for his brother he would of gotten all the Seijun energy from their mother, but since they were twins it had to be split. So it seems that a Seijun can only have one Seijun kid? Guess Mahad got ****ed over then . That or Coidzor is right and he IS Cortez's bastard child...though he looks and acts far to much like his Dad for that to be true. Oslo also adds that inside him is where that power belongs.

So, I have an idea of how this machine works. It transfers Seijun power. That's...a really interesting device, to be sure. Meanwhile, Mahad and Balder are talking about how Darius is a constant reminder of Oslo's own weakness, and thus why he was exiled here. Mahad UNDERSTANDABLY notes that hey, Oslo is not even REMOTELY weak, what are you talking about? Balder RIGHTLY says that for someone like Oslo, anything LESS then ABSOLUTE power IS weakness. I'll leave the arguements about that to you guys, because it could honestly go either way.

Also it's worth noting that even LENA at this point is a little unsure this plan will work. Balder says to listen to her, end Oslo's tyranny over him, over the world! Oslo attempts to convince his brother by saying this time, it'll be different. They'll rule together this time. Lena just says to remember their plan. Darius says he will, but that he does have to go into the chamber completely to give Oslo power.

...OSLO then says the creepiest ****ing thing, saying that him being in the chamber is "as brothers are meant to be". I get what he's saying, that brothers are supposed to be side by side in everything, but considering...EVERYTHING, that sounds VERY creepy and threatening. I don't think Darius is getting out of this.

Darius goes in...but he's giving Oslo too much. Balder tries to stop it by the circuits are overloading. Something is going wrong. Or right, in Oslo's case. Lena can FEEL the power coursing through the air, and it hurts. Oslo says that this is how it should be. The strong survive, the weak perish. I'm thinking Oslo's and Darius' mom died in childbirth. Darius is bent over in pain. Lena tells Mahad to get Darius, which he does with some hesitation (he's not a Seijun and has to go into an area that is billowing with Seijun energy and could be dangerous, so it's understandable).

He gets Darius out...but too late. I think Oslo's gotten to max power. He's laughing maniacally and is literally on fire with power. Everyone gets onto the water tanker to escape, useful since the Saint Neziere is on it's way. Darius is okay, but he's hurting bad, but all he can think is "what did I do to my brother?". Damn Darius, you're WAY to brotherly to Oslo.

They go to take off, but Oslo...Oslo says no. He uses his powers to grab the entire ship. He then starts FORCE CRUSHING IT. I'd recommend getting to the Hyperion but that ship is a little less armoured then the water tanker so that might be a bad idea. So instead they just gun the engines and hope they can escape Oslo's overwhelming power. But they can't.

Suddenly Cortez says "Need a little help, my young friends?" and opens fire with the foreward facing fun of the Saint Neziere. IT HITS OSLO DIRECTLY, SENDING HIM FLYING, and freeing the water tanker from his grasp. NOW that they're safe to get into the Hyperion, they do so and follow after the Naziere to escape.

Later on the Naziere, Cortez says he knows a remote location in the Redwood Block that he'll be able to hide in. Darius appreciates it. Lena then talks to Mahad, saying that being between the two Light Chamber rooms, feeling that power transfer from Darius to Oslo...it felt so horrible, just FEELING it. She can't imagine what it must be like to actually have it. She says she never wants to feel like that again.

Back with Oslo...he gets up from being blasted by the cannon on a battleship. That enough is impressive, but he's apparently undamaged. What's worse...he's stronger then ever. He's still buffed up. He raises his hands as the white blue flames of his power envelop him and says "till we meet again". His laugh fades us out to the credits.

Well, that was the episode. My thoughts?

...holy ****. That was AWESOME. It's not AS good as it could of been, if only because the episodes preceding it, while good, where just GOOD. however, this doesn't really impact how good this episode is at all. Like...holy crap. The plot was interesting and intriguing, the interactions between characters are good and the acting is quite good, especially for this series. Oslo's voice actor, one of the better ones, knocks it out of the park. Seeing more of Oslo's past is also VERY interesting, and holy crap we got a lot of information about Seijuns from this, as well as a more elaborated look on how their powers look.

All in all this was GREAT, and an amazing start for the season. Lets hope they keep up this flow, and even if they don't I'm sure the episode will at least be GOOD.
    It's good? Huh.

*sips soda*
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #180

That was AWESOME.
    Spoiler: What did I say?
    Show

So, when is the next viewing planned? Also, I might have more to say after watching the episode again myself.