New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [Labyrinth Lord] IC Strangers in a Strange Land

Thirdmonth, Firstday

After weeks of an arduous sea journey the adventurers finally set foot on the southern continent, in the city state of Plud.

Plud is an ancient city, all adobe bricks and stucco worn to a light tan by the fierce sun, terraced into the hills that run right up to the shores of the Shallow Sea. There are few roads through Plud but many alleyways and twisting steps that traverse from level to level. Most houses are at most two or three stories, with open roofs that are used as bedrooms for much of the year.

The city sits at the head of a range of hills that runs south, dividing the land between a great desert to the east and a forest primeval to the west. This is at the same time both an ancient and a relatively unexplored land; there exist many relics and buildings from the Elder Days that have yet to be explored or plundered.

The locals of Plud are strange to the adventurers' eyes. Short and olive-skinned, both men and women slick their hair back with grease; the men favor facial hair groomed into elaborate shapes. The women do the same with their hair. Most wear colorful robes that stand out starkly against the beige backdrop of the city. The warren of alleys and narrow streets boasts countless stalls selling everything from copper pots to wool carpets to curiously curved swords. Numerous shrines and temples also dot the city, as the Pluddites are a religious folk. The companions note the occasional shrine to deities they recognize: here is a temple dedicated to the Sisters, there a small shrine -- almost a niche -- boasts a statue to the Lord of the Deeps festooned with kelp and seaweeds. For every god they recognize there are half a dozen they don't: The Hungry Man, the Whisperer at the Door, the many-armed Tharfaughn and his sister, the nine-headed Tsalhu.

During the few short days the companions have been here they have found shelter at the Inn of the Laughing Dragon, a large establishment by the docks that caters to ship captains, traveling merchants and the like. Talk flows freely, and they have heard the following rumors that may prove to be lucrative:

• The Vaults of Demonic Ruin is said to be inhabited by a tribe of vitriolic kobolds, and can be found in the hills two day's journey on foot south of town.

• The Undercrypt of Asan is rumored to be infested by a multitude of giant rats. It lies a good three days west of the city.

• Little is known of The Secret Pit of Souls, other than its location half a day's walk east of the city.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here you go, guys. Don't forget to subscribe to this thread.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [Labyrinth Lord] IC Strangers in a Strange Land

Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax pulls his dark blue robes tighter around himself, hoping the lighting of the Laughing Dragon helped conceal his unsightly features. The journey to Plud proved to be a trial of patience for the warlock, who having made recent friendships with his companions spoke much more openly with them than he did the rest of denizens of this curious establishment.

"Vaults…crypts…Pits…they all sound so enticing" The word rolls off his tongue like honey, dripping with lustful enthusiasm. "But I would prefer to avoid the desert for now, and I doubt the rats of unusual size would carry, much less protect anything of worth to me. The Vaults of Demonic Ruin from what I'm told aren't too far, certainly less than the crypt, and a little farther than the Pit of Souls, but away from the Desert, and at least we have some knowledge of what to expect."

Dovax takes a deep breath, ending his short tangent there, and sips at the foamy ale in the mug in front of him, his scarred hands grasping it tightly, leaving a little foam on his upper lip after setting it back down.

"Thoughts everyone?" His bright blue eyes searches the faces of his 'friends', studying their reactions.
    Last edited by Surgate; 2014-07-07 at 07:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Jahn the Quick

Jahn takes a precise, measured sip of his wine. (A poor vintage, but one does as one must when one's purse is light.) "I can find no fault in your logic," he says softly, just loud enough to be heard over the background hum of the inn. "But I do wish we knew more of what we faced."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

In my time so far in town, have I encountered anyone or anything that might be a source of more information on any of these prospective dungeons? Sages willing to share information for beer, that kind of thing?
    Last edited by asnys; 2014-07-07 at 09:24 PM.
    Marshal of the Eternal Legion PrC (Necromancer-Marshal Hybrid)
    Traveler in the Infinite Night PrC (Shadow Plane Burglars)
    Dimensional Legionnaire PrC (Tactical Teleporters)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Valistriga the first

The elf thoughtfully rubs his chin, without the grace so common to the ancients. "Me neither, but I would like to point out that it may not be a problem of what the rats have so much as what someone will give us for their extermination. Still... The Vaults sound more lucrative at this point."

Valistriga looks disdainfully at the empty mug he holds before continuing... "Regardless, we'll want more men before continuing. It's reduce our share of the filthy lucre, but it may also result in coming back from the vault alive, and we all know which is preferable."

Spoiler
    Show

2 questions:
    > Is anyone offering odd jobs or anything? Things like wanted posters, requests for strange materials, ect.
    > Are any hirelings offering their services? Preferably fighters.

Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Emily Hayden the Unnamed

Scratching behind Wart's doggy ears, a few light taps send the dog from head level with the table to lying on the ground. Emily breaks eye contact as she composes herself with the group's collision, but rallies back. "If safety is the concern I would rather face an animal over a thinking foe. I favor the desert rats. Not that Plud disinterests me, but I want to explore beyond the town. The longest journey, the simplest foe, and an interesting terrain make it a winner. I figured it wouldn't be the popular choice though."

"The local pit rumors might be the only event that people around here care about. It could actually be a problem that affects the town. But." She raises her index finger while her elbow continues to rest on the table, "One. It sounds cultish." Bringing another finger to bear, "Two. Cult work is crap work," before putting her hand back down. "Magic is usually involved and that is a huge pain. Trust me; I would know not to piss off a practitioner of the arts. Eh, who knows what's really there. Unless people are going to change their minds the hills to the south sound like a fine choice nonetheless. I'm not busy. We could try to find some able bodies, information, and leave whenever."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2014-07-07 at 10:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Gurni Drofulson

The dwarf drank deeply from his ale listening to his partners talk about there options. When talk of hiring sellswords came up he decided to interject. "Well now hold on a tick I thought we were setting off to make money not line some merc's purse with ours. Besides why would you all need more muscle when you have this around." The dwarf stood hefted his axe and flexed his bicep for all to see before retirning to his drink, "As for where we should go I do agree with the general sentiment anything with the word vault in it's name, demonic or not, is bound to have something worth risking our hides for."
    Last edited by Lt. Tibbles; 2014-07-08 at 02:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like the majority decision is for the Vaults. I'll wait and see if you guys want to try and recruit henchmen/get more plot hooks (see OOC). I will also need the following:

1) Marching order. I allow magic-users to carry a torch and cast spells.
    2) Watch order.
    3) Mapping. I will handle all hex mapping but do not map dungeons. I give a 5% XP bonus to any player that takes on mapping duties. I find that using Google Docs is an excellent platform for mapping.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eric the Green

Eric sits back, listening to the conversation without much to add. His knowledge of such things is extremely limited, but he has learned from past mistakes that it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and dispel all doubt. When he does speak, it is without hesitation, in a deep and gravelly voice. "The Vaults are acceptable. Perhaps these 'kobolds' can be made to see the light of the All-Father and amend their ways. As to the hiring of warriors to accompany our journey, my purse is lean; however, I will contribute if it is the will of our number." He looks to the elf in particular; the way the aged one speaks reminds Eric of the high priest he had left behind in the jungles so many days ago.
    Last edited by Mordae; 2014-07-08 at 02:47 PM.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Valistriga the First

"The more the merrier, Gurni. Kobolds are cunning if not strong, and come in large numbers: getting a hirling will reduce one of their advantages and improve our own." The elf then taps the side of his head conspicuously. "Besides, I have an inkling we may get a ...discount on their services."

Spoiler
    Show

Going to start hunting for hirelings, then. Another member can hunt for plot hooks instead.

How much money do we have all up, anyway? I can donate 30gp: 10 is used for job-hunting.

10. - Top - End - #10

Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax restrained his laughter at Gurni's display. "I second Val on this." His scarred hand slid three gold pieces across the table towards the elf. "This is everything I have, spend it wisely." He listened to everyone's contributions well, and turned both hands palms up, addressing the group once again. "Then we are in agreement concerning our destination. Some extra help and information couldn't hurt, and then we will be on our way." Dovax sighed, speaking once again with an afterthought. "To make money you have to be willing to spend it."
    Last edited by Surgate; 2014-07-08 at 01:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eric the Green

"I too pledge my coin to this venture. We are all in this together, or we shall surely perish and the sands of time wipe away all memory of our failure." Eric unties a small pouch from his belt and sets it on the table before Valistriga. "Perhaps take with you Emily; many men fall victim to a pretty face and will perhaps offer a lower price for their services." He offers the female magician a slight nod, but on his face their is no leer or suggestion of untoward attraction.
    Suspiciously normal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Jahn the Quick

"And I as well," says Jahn, sliding a small purse across the table. "Thirteen pieces of gold, nine of silver; my entire fortune, such as it is."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Emily Hayden

Half a smile crosses Emily's face at the amusing, blatant self flattery. "You're right Gurni. We don't really need any more of that," she says jokingly. Thirstily drinking the down the rest of her ale and then reaching between the furs around her waist a twenty-two silver coin purse lands near Valistriga. "Aye, I think we are in agreement. Pity, I didn't think to save any gold back for our first job. That's all the silver I have left after accounting for my living expenses." With a grin too wide, "I've been living the life the last few days. A new town, a new continent. Plud's has been giving me all types of new experiences as fast as I could spend my coin."

Emily gives a slight nod back to Eric and agrees with no fuss or thought, "Ok, I'll go. I wanted to see what type of eccentrics live here anyway."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Emily always pays her fair share (eventually) so people can assume to be reimbursed later in this case of a lopsided investment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Gurni Drofulson

Gurni mumbles somethingvin dwarvish before tossing his purse onto the table. "Aye fine, have it your way. Just make sure not to bring back any cowards or cut throats."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eric the Green

"One thing is for certain. We cannot afford to sit idly in this town, as pleasurable as it may be, for our funds will be depleted in a matter of days. We must, as northlanders say, make hay while the sun shines. In addition to a warrior of courage and honor, we must need someone to watch your horses while we explore, for animals are too skittish for the sound of battle." Eric looks around the tavern, as though trying to appraise whether any of the rabble would care for such low-risk employment.
    Suspiciously normal.

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler: Behind the Curtain
    Show
    Don't read this if you've got some kind of thing against seeing how I do things.

Okay, Plud has a population of 6,000. According to Adventurer, Conqueror King (I borrow from a bunch of different sources), p. 239, that makes Plud a Class II city. Let's see. A Class II city has 5d20 light infantrymen available, which I'll say are suited to guard work. Light infantry charge 6 gp per month, but I'm going to double that as the rate assumes they're part of a large force. You're essentially asking these two dudes to chill in the wilderness by themselves. So, the two light infantry will cost 12 gp each per month. They will ask for half up front, so you'll need a total of 12 gp for them. It looks like the highest Charisma modifier is -1, so the hiring roll is:2d6+1=11 Accept

Number of potential henchmen available (Normal Man followed by 1st level): (5d20=37, 2d6=7) Plud has 37 Normal Men available for henchduding, and 7 1st level characters. Of those 1st level characters, roughly 40% (2) are fighters. There is a 10% per day of attracting a henchman:1-10 success: (1d100=6). Huh. Reaction roll for Emily: (2d6+1=12)

Thirdmonth, Firstday

The adventurers spread themselves out through the alehouses, beer gardens, cantinas and doss houses in Plud. Through the course of the day they enjoy no small success recruiting both guards and a stout fighter who swears to lend his sword arm to the cause . . . as soon as he is gifted with a sword to swing. It seems that the eyes of the natives Emily is an enchanting foreign flower, the sound of her accent as intoxicating as the fumes of the Black Lotus flower that is smoked in great quantities in these parts.
    The two guards are named Laco and Suroy, and both claim to have done caravan work prior to ending up in Plud. They have their own equipment, namely a brace of javelins, short sword, shields and leather armor, but will need to be provided with provender for the coming journey. Each asks for the princely sum of 12 gold per month, due to the danger inherent in the job, and request that half be paid up front. They also insist that, should one or the other fall, the adventurers sent the remaining balance to their families. The fighter is named Damar and he kneels before Emily, taking an oath to serve her faithfully in all times of need, if she will have him.

Spoiler
    Show
    The two guards will need food and drink, but are otherwise equipped. Damar has a Strength of 13; all other stats are 10, and 8 hit points Damar hit points: (1d8=8)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Valistriga the First

Valistriga considers Damar with a raised eyebrow, before handing him a battleaxe and studded leather of average make. Blood oaths were not something taken lightly by elves, due to the high chance of regretting them for the rest of their VERY long lifetimes. Still, loyal henchmen could prove useful.

"Welcome to our humble organisation, Damar."

The elf then turns to the rest of the party. "So, are we set for provisions? It would be preferable to raid the kobolds for their valuables and not for their food."

18. - Top - End - #18

Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax offers a polite nod to their hired muscle and help, saying nothing to them as he turns his attention to his humble elf friend. "I believe we are set, though if food becomes scarce, I'm told kobold stew is quite a delicacy". The monotone of his voice combined with his shadowed features make it uncertain whether the warlock is attempting deadpan humor or offering a bleak solution.
    Last edited by Surgate; 2014-07-08 at 07:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Emily Hayden

Out and about with Valistriga helping recruit. Emily's haggle was going about as well as one could hope, but Damar's flourish was totally unexpected. Flustered to the point of speechlessness, a dash of red on her checks, she was grateful when Valistriga made sense of everything again. She mouthed a thank you to the elf and accepted Damar's oath as graciously as she could. As Valistriga continued on with business as usually she started asking her new henchmen the basics of the basics about himself and sharing about herself in turn.

Show
    Are henchmen going to be faceless pawns in this game? I'm a huge fan of npcs so if they don't have to be ignored I'd actually enjoy knowing about him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Jahn the Quick

"I have my share of the supplies on my horse," says Jahn. "I am ready to risk my life for gold."
    Last edited by asnys; 2014-07-08 at 07:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Thirdmonth, Seconday

As best prepared as they will ever be, the adventurers and their entourage set out from Plud, following the Southern Road. They have rough directions to the Vault; they have been told to follow the main road for a little more than a day, then turn to the east and follow an old shepherd's trail. They do not make it as far as the secondary trail the first day, so camp by the side of the road for the night. Nothing eventful happens.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Weather: (1d20=3, 1d20=6, 1d20=7)
    Random encounter (1-3 on 1d12), Feature (1 on 1d6), Random encounter, night (1-2 on 1d12): (1d12=3, 1d6=5, 1d12=5)
    Okay, so Gurni has a move of 60', which translates to an daily overland movement of 12 miles/day. The Vault is 20 miles south of town, of which roughly a hex and half is on the road; the rest being overland.

Thirdmonth, Thirday

This strange land is hot and humid; this far inland the ocean breeze is bit a memory, and 'ere too long the companions have begun to sweat, even early in the morning. After about an hour they come upon the indicated trail; an ancient cairn of stones have been piled into a pyramid marking the eastern path.

The trail winds among the hills, blessedly following along a relatively level elevation. Visibility is rather limited, and the hills loom above them. Aside from startling the occasional coney or squirrel, nothing untoward occurs until mid-afternoon, when, coming around a bend in the trail the companions espy a group of men -- perhaps ten to a dozen -- squatting around a guttering campfire some hundred yards up the trail. There is something large turning on a spit over the flames, and even at this distance the adventurers are able to smell sizzling meat.

The men are clad in leathers and most appear to be armed with bows or crossbows; at this distance the Valistriga's sharp elven eyes pick out short swords buckled on belts. Half of them look up at the same time the companions come into view; they nudge shoulders and Valsitriga can see the occasional hand hovering near quiver or swordbelt, but no distinct actions are taken.

22. - Top - End - #22

Dovax the Leper Warlock

Wiping sweat collecting along his scarred brow, Dovax saw the collective of armed men ahead and nearly sighed when he roughly counted their number. "What do you spy Val?" His hands twisted and cracked, popping the bones as he loosened them up for the proper gestures and cleared his throat for the incantations. "If we can get a little closer, I can put either all of them or at least some to sleep. If you think them suspicious give me a subtle sign, we don't want to alarm them."
    Last edited by Surgate; 2014-07-08 at 08:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Valistriga the First

The elf squints in order to focus on the camp ahead. "Twelve or so men: They're armed with both ranged and melee weapons, but seem to be as alarmed to see us as we are to see them. I think a friendlier method may be wise, but still keep that spell on standby. Also, that spit seems interesting..."

Valistriga waves and adresses the encroaching group. "Good afternoon! What brings you fellows to these parts?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Large Man with Beard

"Just passing through, on our way from here to there! Come and sit by our fire and share a haunch of venison, and tell us your story as to why you are here!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eric the Green

Eric leans over to Emily to whisper. "It is good we are being invited to close quarters--a sign of peace. Their ranged capabilities exceed our own by many times over." Then straightening, he offers the best pearly smile he can manage, a perhaps exaggerated attempt to appear friendly.
    Last edited by Mordae; 2014-07-09 at 06:46 AM.
    Suspiciously normal.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Valistriga the First

Valistriga nods to his companions and makes his way over to the new group plonking himself down near the venison.

"Well, my companions and I were seeking the Vaults of Demonic Ruin in order to make our fortunes. Have you heard of it?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Emily Hayden

Cheery that they've found some friendly company Emily happily whispers back, "I can see that, thank you." No salt to her words, being the youngest meant a degree more coddling, but she has learned so much from her friends that she rarely complains. "Never did fancy a fight."

Emily preforms whatever she's learned to be the local greeting and enthusiastically shouts, "I am so glad that this continent has deer!" On the approach she steadies Wart for he won't cause any problems and looks them over with a closer view. Emily follows Valistriga's lead until she's close to the fire. "In other words we are broke," she laughs. Turning to a few of the men Valistriga isn't directly addressing, "We have just traveled to this continent, the boat ride was OK, and are busying ourselves with our trade."

Show
    Emily is collecting plants she has never encountered before while they travel. Opportunistic research.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2014-07-09 at 08:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax seemed relieve they didn't outright attack at their advantage, so despite remaining on guard and silent, he came close to the fire and watched his companions talk with the band of armed men.

29. - Top - End - #29

The adventurers are welcomed into the circle around the fire, and hunks of sizzling meat are quickly carved. Their hosts are hard looking men and women. Most are visibly scarred if not missing body parts. All are dirty, and exhibit the telltale signs of a people who spend most of their life outdoors.

The big man introduces himself as Jaceo, and implies that he is the nominal leader of the group. He allows that the adventurers are indeed near the Vault they seek, and if they hurry will most likely reach it 'ere evening. "I wouldn't camp near it, if I was you. This site here's a little close for my taste, but we brung down that deer and thought we might have us a feast. Everyone says them Vaults ate haunted, and the air inside unwholesome and damp."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Jahn the Quick

Jahn stays quiet, but watches the men like a hawk for signs of ill intent.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Is there any cover around here? In particular, is there any cover I can get behind without blocking my view of these guys or doing something that may seem like an intent to attack? If there is, I'd like to put something between me and those archers, just in case.

Edit: Cross-posted! This OOC action now appears to be obsolete.
    Last edited by asnys; 2014-07-09 at 01:46 PM.