New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default artificer Scribe Scroll question

If I want to scribe a scroll of summon giants which is a 4th lvl spell from the Disciple of Thrym list, what's the earliest I could scribe it it?

I'm seeing it as 9th level since barring any early entry shenanigans it's 4 lvls of a base class plus 7 of DoT. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Or do I only need to count the DoT caster levels meaning i could make it at 5?
    Last edited by Invader; 2014-07-07 at 05:51 PM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: artificer Scribe Scroll question

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    If I want to scribe a scroll of summon giants which is a 4th lvl spell from the Disciple of Thrym list, what's the earliest I could scribe it it?

I'm seeing it as 9th level since barring any early entry shenanigans it's 4 lvls of a base class plus 7 of DoT. Is this correct or am I missing something?
    Caster level is what matters, not what it takes to get into the class that has the spells you want. The DoT is going to have a caster level of 7 by the time he can cast 4th level DoT spells. And since we know that caster level is not a REQUIREMENT, you can make that scroll as soon as you can make the spellcraft DC to fake it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Starmage21 View Post
    Caster level is what matters, not what it takes to get into the class that has the spells you want. The DoT is going to have a caster level of 7 by the time he can cast 4th level DoT spells. And since we know that caster level is not a REQUIREMENT, you can make that scroll as soon as you can make the spellcraft DC to fake it.
    Should have clarified that I'm doing this with an artificer.

So at 7th level I can scribe any scroll off the Ur Priests list as long as I can hit the UMD 29 to cast it.

Same with summon giants with a UMD DC of 27 right?
    Last edited by Invader; 2014-07-07 at 07:09 PM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Pretty much. Remember though, if its 4th level or lower you'd be better off getting a wand. At that point it would only be 375*4*Your Level(whenever you can reasonably hit a DC 24) or 1,500*CL. not exactly cheap, but while a scroll would cost a 15th of that for one casting, you get 50 castings. So its more economical to use a wand.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ill assume the same hold trues for crafting wands.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!