New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re designing sorcerer

Creating a new way the sorcerer plays as part of a sorta homebrew class overhaul for other games.

The sorcerer would be based on the thought that all their power comes from within them and they get better with practice however they are not quite skilled in early years.

Instead of getting leveled spells they would get the ability to influence an element that makes up magic>
    These are
    Void-encompassing spells that are not bound by the limitations of the earth, creating portals, divination ect is in this category
    Pressure- Force spells along with spells around telekanisis illusion or travel are in this element
    Energy- Acid, Fire, ice, lightning ect are all in this field Primaraly used for attacks and crowd control
    Mineral- Earth and metal effecting spells along with defensive and support spells. Many that alter the body would be included
    Moisture- Mind altering, healing, Other forms of illusion, regeneration and the like.

Spell Failure- All sorcerers begin with a natural spell failure. When they fail a spell it can do anything from redirect at another source, explode causing harm, halt your ability to cast magic for x number of rounds or in some cases become more powerful
    -Sorcerers have an increased spell failure for casting higher level spells.
    Mana pool Each sorcerer gets a pool of mana that they cast from. Every level they get a small amount of mana but can also Increase the amount of mana in their pools.
    Leveling spells-Sorcerers level spells by spending points they get every level. There are two things in each element they can spend on.
    -----Manipulation A sorcerer who spends their points in manipulation reduces the spell failure cost when casting a spell influenced by rise (talked about later) And spell failure in total (This only effects the element you are currently leveling)
    -----Knowledge Every point gives a new spell and every two points Increases the limit on the level of spell you are able to cast. (Only for the element you are currently leveling)

Rise The fun part of the sorcerer. Rise is more or less an unspecified metamagic. Every time you activate rise you state an effect you wish to add to a spell. Doing so will increase the chance of failure (current calculations is 10% X spell level) But will add an awesome effect (Spell manipulation will lower the %) Such as if you wish to cast a fireball that normally will hit a ten foot square you can use a rise to double the effect so it hits a larger space, but lets say there are mostly fire elementals in the space. You can use an additional rise (at a higher % of failure) To make it an icy fireball (Iceball?)

Rituals- Both wizards and sorcerers will be able to use ritual magic. These are where the more powered spells are kept or spells that have a very long duration. They are difficult to do based on the spell but have longer lasting or more powerful effects. Summon monster, polymorph, plane shift ect. Some spells also require more members to cast or have high material or XP cost but with equally potent effects.

Dragon mark- A sorcerer is born with a permenant tattoo that will not go away with magic or with most illusions. Wearing cloth over the mark will cover it but someone is still able to sense it if they have the capability. These marks also provide unique powers that i have yet to write. Such as giving bonus die to a certain elemental effect or give a natural armor or run speed, possibly a breath weapon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Re designing sorcerer

While I'm sure some people will comment, this may work out better in the Homebrew section of the forum.

Part of the reason with sorcerers is that their levels look dead, but they usually get spells, always get CL boosts, etc, which are really better than most other features of most other classes.

What sorcerer really needs is a better selection of ACFs and sub-levels. There are some good ones out there, but not as good as for some of the other high-tiers.

An elemental focus vis a vis Energy is going to be weak due to energy resistance being a part of the game (and a big feature of many common monsters encountered at high levels). So you'd have to build in some kind of way to ignore resistance, or a mechanic for added damage to offset the resistance.

Pressure is likely too strong. Orb of force is one of the less balanced kill spells in the game.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Re designing sorcerer

Oh sorry i will move it (was not aware there was a forum)