New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Real Simple, Elan into Beholder Mage

Could someone explain for me, in full detail, how Elans get into Beholder Mage? I know its Polymorph-based, but why can't humans do the same trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Real Simple, Elan into Beholder Mage

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    but why can't humans do the same trick?
    Elan are abberations, not humanoids.

3. - Top - End - #3

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Elan are abberations, not humanoids.
    Yeaup, I got that far.
    I think you may have missed the 'in full detail' part of the OP.
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm, unsure about it, but it could be the point of reaching a duration of "permanent" with Polymorph any Object" - Spell.

(Since Elans are in the same category and kingdom they can reach it, while a human can't, i guess)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Summerstorm View Post
    Hm, unsure about it, but it could be the point of reaching a duration of "permanent" with Polymorph any Object" - Spell.

(Since Elans are in the same category and kingdom they can reach it, while a human can't, i guess)
    This is exactly the case.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    A quick googling reveals the answer.
    My phone won't open the link. I know its a common thing, I just was hoping to have it immediately availabe, since its a curtent discussion over in the favorite abberation thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerstorm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    This is exactly the case.
    Does 'Kingdom' relate to Type in dnd? And if a Humanoid is the same Family (+5), same Size (+2), and same or higher Intelligence (+2), they can also reach 9, allowing for Permanent.
    So why is same Kingdom necessary?
    'Prax' is fine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeaup, I got that far.
    I think you may have missed the 'in full detail' part of the OP.
    I didn't miss it, that was just the only part I could answer with the knowledge I possess. And since beholders are Aberrations, it is Elan are closer to them than humans are.

It's all part of the Polymorph Any Object Duration clause. You need to hit a Duration Factor of 9+ to permanently change something into something else. Because you go from something living to something living, you get a +5. Same class (creature type) gives another +2. Same size would give another +2 here, but it does not apply. Same or Lower intelligence is character dependent, but gives another +2.

If you total +9 or more for any creature in comparison to a Beholder, you can Polymorph permanently into that form and thereby qualify for Beholder Mage. A Large creature of any type with a high intelligence score could also potentially do it.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

I didn't miss it, that was just the only part I could answer with the knowledge I possess. And since beholders are Aberrations, it is Elan are closer to them than humans are.

It's all part of the Polymorph Any Object Duration clause. You need to hit a Duration Factor of 9+ to permanently change something into something else. Because you go from something living to something living, you get a +5. Same class (creature type) gives another +2. Same size would give another +2 here, but it does not apply. Same or Lower intelligence is character dependent, but gives another +2.

If you total +9 or more for any creature in comparison to a Beholder, you can Polymorph permanently into that form and thereby qualify for Beholder Mage. A Large creature of any type with a high intelligence score could also potentially do it.
    Okay, because the size thing is what threw me off, since there are any number of ways to be a Large Humanoid.
    So then, its not so much that Elans can become Beholder Mages, as Elans have an easier time becoming Beholder Mages?
    'Prax' is fine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Does 'Kingdom' relate to Type in dnd? And if a Humanoid is the same Family (+5), same Size (+2), and same or higher Intelligence (+2), they can also reach 9, allowing for Permanent.
    So why is same Kingdom necessary?
    Family isn't listed in PAO, and Type isn't listed directly, only kingdom, but one of the kingdoms is 'Animal', which is a type, implying that the other types would be what need to be the same to get the +5.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, because the size thing is what threw me off, since there are any number of ways to be a Large Humanoid.
    So then, its not so much that Elans can become Beholder Mages, as Elans have an easier time becoming Beholder Mages?
    Right, because they have an easier time becoming full time beholders, because they can use PAO as written to do it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Family isn't listed in PAO, and Type isn't listed directly, only kingdom, but one of the kingdoms is 'Animal', which is a type, implying that the other types would be what need to be the same to get the +5.
    Oooooooh.
    Okay, I seen then. And no matter what similiarities there are, you can only ever get to 8, unless you have the Kingdom's +5, which will push you to that 9's Permanent.
    I see, I see.
    Thanks!
    'Prax' is fine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Following that logic, Elan wouldn't qualify as they are not Large...

14. - Top - End - #14

Lizardfolk

Following that logic, Elan wouldn't qualify as they are not Large...
    I think they get Kingdom for +5, Class for +2, and Intelligence for +2.
    'Prax' is fine.