New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC- Betrayal at the White Temple

Beneath his mask, Tenzin is no longer smiling. Indeed, his lips are set in a thin line and his eyes are narrowed as he studies the incoming... what, bandits? Ronin? Something else?

The lack of certain knowledge irks him, as does the utter lack of respect or good sense implied by an attack on a funeral... and one with numerous Clan Champions in attendance at that. The consequences of such stupidity are somewhat inevitable.

"I apologise, Kitsuki-san." He says calmly, placing one hand on the hilt of his sword. A quick assessment identifies the woman with the Tetsubo as the greatest threat - none of their foes look to have formal training, but even a clumsy strike delivered from such a thing would be remarkably painful. "It appears we shall have to continue our conversation at another time."

With that, he takes three steps forwards, his katana sliding free of it's sheathe without so much as a whisper. The sword bears an unusual rippling pattern along the metal blade, but what significance such a design might have is rendered largely irrelevant by the speed with which it slices around and into the body of Tenzin's target.

Spoiler
    Show

So, you can move up to your Water ring x5 feet as a free action, which is ten feet in Tenzin's case, and medium weapons can be used to attack a foe two spaces away. Since Tenzin can draw a katana as a free action, he will adopt the Attack stance, move forewards and strike at the woman with the Tetsubo.

No raises for now - let's see what their defenses are like first. I roll seven dice to attack (Agility 3 + Kenjutsu 3 + Ancestor 1), and keep three of them.

(7d10)[4][9][1][9][1][10][9](43)

Explosions: (7d10)[7][5][10][5][4][5][6](42)

And Tenzin's effective defense against these guys is 20, since he's a scorpion and they are acting after him in the initiative order.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2014-07-22 at 12:46 PM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    On the other side of the fair grounds, Isawa and Togashi found themselves separated from the group of Phoenix who Kuzume had com with. They moved swiftly through the crowd, only to come face to face with three Ronin. Two of them held Katanas, one was a very short and fat man, the other tall and thin. The third bandit wore a poorly fitting suit of Ashigaru armor and held a short hafted Nagamaki. The armored Ronin leered confidently at the pair, "Where do you think you are going?", he asks, raising the heavy polearm above his head.
    Sliding in front of the smaller Phoenix, Ishi assesses the warriors before him. Though his knowledge of weapons is somewhat limited, he does recognize that in the hands of less capable wielders, the nagamaki is likely the more dangerous weapon. Coupled with the fact that it is the weapon wielded by the armored speaker suggests he is the most important target.

"The mountain does not move for a babbling wind," he says without malice or anger. "You have come to the end of your path."

Assuming his preferred Earth-based posture, he calls on the potency of his tattoo and engages the armored foe. A ghostly image of chitin and claws appears around the Ise Zumi and as it fades, he strikes.

Spoiler: Combat actions
    Show
    As a free action, Ishi activates his Crab tattoo (fittingly), gaining Reduction (4) for 4 rounds

Jiujutsu strike (7k3) = 21
    (7d10)[3][9][1][1][4][4][8](30) and potential exploding dice (7d10)[7][9][10][9][2][9][9](55)

Damage if successful (5k3) - Considered raises for damage, but not yet sure about such things = 22
    (5d10)[6][2][7][9][6](30) and potential exploding dice (5d10)[10][7][2][5][7](31)
    Last edited by Mordar; 2014-07-22 at 01:47 PM.
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Drawing his blade Hideki nods to Bayushi says "Agreed now seems more the time for action." before following the Scorpion warrior into the fray, aiming his assault at the gaijin with the scimitar. Realizing his lack of armor should surely mean that at best he should have little hope of defending himself he chooses to enter into the stance of fire hoping to make up for his lack of skill in general combat and overwhelm his foe first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to the Scimitar Guy and making one attack in full attack stance.
    [rollv]6d10k3[rollv] keeping three
    [rollv]6d10k3[rollv] explosions
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"It's Shishidou!", Yasuki says under her breath. She has already drawn her Katana, though Kitsuki knows she would be more comfortable if she had her Yumi with her.

"I apologise, Kitsuki-san. It appears we shall have to continue our conversation at another time.", Bayushi says as he begins to move towards the Ronin. He draws his sword in a smooth an practiced motion, the Hammon shimmering with a curious glimmer.

Drawing his blade Hideki nods to Bayushi says "Agreed now seems more the time for action." before following the Scorpion warrior.

Tenzin rushes forward, charging the leader of the small Ronin group before she can meet him. His sword cuts across the top of her forearm without severing the limb. The woman Ronin growls in pain as she drops the sword, but before she can react, Yasuki's blade has plunged through her chest and into her heart. The leader stumbles backwards, a gush of crimson exploding from her chest as she frees herself from The Crab woman's blade, and collapses to the ground dead.

Seeing the Ronin woman felled gives Kitsuki confidence, and he raises his sword above his head, into an aggressive Jodan Kamae. Seeing the bandit with the Scimitar moving in on his companion's, Hideki charges towards him. The bandit turns to meet Kitsuki, raising his sword up to defend. But as the Ronin's blade come's up, Hideki swing's his sword down and around in a motion he's seen Ochiba practice on nearly a daily basis. The Dragon's Katana rips across the belly of the bandit, leaving him clutching his belly in pain, his weapon barely staying clutched in his hand. He offers a weak return slash, which Hideki dashes away.

The bandit with the spear circles around Yasuki and thrusts at her chest. But the woman's Hiruma training has taught her a swiftness rivaled by very few and the spear finds only air. The ronin with the Wakizashi turns his attention to Bayushi, but his cut is blocked. There is a loud clack as Tenzin redirects the Wakizashi away with a simple flick of his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tenzin does 14 damage, Yasuki does 20 for a total of 34 killing the ronin. Kitsuki's all out attack does 24 damage leaving his enemy crippled. His all out attack drops his defense to 10, but with crippled it becomes 30 to hit so his enemy fails. Both the spear and wakizashi ronin miss due to the extra TN bonus provided by the Crab and Scorpion's school techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where do you think you are going?", the bandit asks.

Togashi steps in front of the Phoenix Shugenja, his muscles flexing in preparation for battle. "The mountain does not move for a babbling wind," he says without malice or anger. "You have come to the end of your path." His skin begins to glow as the blue and purple crab tattoo on his chest begins to shimmer and move. He charges the armored Ronin with his bare fists, and lands a powerful straight punch to the man's bare face. There is a crack of bone and teeth, and the man with the Nagamaki stumbles backwards.

Behind them Isawa Kuzume whipsers incomprehensible words under his breath. As he prays to the Kami, he can feel his very skin change and harden. His body becomes tougher, more substantial.

The man with the Nagamaki struggles to regain his composure, and spits out a broken tooth. His swing is slow and unpracticed and Togashi avoids it with little difficulty. The tall and thin Ronin charges Togashi, making a downward cut that seems to barely pierce the Monk's hardened body, drawing a long red streak down his chest. The third Ronin rushes past Togashi towards the supposedly vulnerable Shugenja. His slash tears across Isawa's shoulder but fails to do little more than open up a deep gash.

Spoiler
    Show
    Togashi deals 21 damage, making the armored ronin Crippled. Thus the crippled ronin misses. Both the second and the third ronin do hit each doing 12 damage following each character's reduction (that worked out well). Both Isawa and Togashi are still healthy.

5. - Top - End - #35

Tenzin barely seems to even try as he smacks the incoming strike aside, turning his attention to the bandit with the maniac's grin.

"That weapon." He says curtly, nodding at the rusted Wakizashi in his opponent's hand. "As poorly maintained as it is, such blades belong to Samurai, and Samurai alone. There is a price to pay, for such desecration."

With that, he raises his katana high, his intention obvious in every movement of his body. It is something of a surprise, therefore, when the Scorpion suddenly changes grip and brings the blade slicing around in a sideways trajectory, aimed at taking the bandit's head clean off.

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, let's try and make this fairly quick. Shifting into a Full Attack stance, and spending a Void point as I make a Kenjutsu attack against the Bandit with the Wakizashi. Also making a Feint maneuver, which thanks to my Rank 2 ability only costs one raise. And why not, two more raises to increase damage as well.

All in all, I roll the following dice: Fire 3 + Kenjutsu 3 + Ancestor 1 + Full attack 2 + Void 2 = 11. Since no roll can ever include more than ten dice, I get to keep one more of them rather than rolling eleven.

I would normally keep 3, which is my Fire rank. However Void means I keep an extra two, full attack an extra 1, and the above excess another one on top of that. Thus, my total roll for this attack is 10k7.

(10d10)[7][4][8][6][1][3][3][1][7][6](46)

Exploding: (10d10)[10][5][2][2][7][3][7][2][4][8](50)

If I hit, I would normally roll 6k2, as mentioned last time. In this case, I roll 8k2 thanks to the increase in damage raises, and my total damage is also increased by half the amount by which I beat the target number, to a maximum of 10.

(8d10)[5][3][9][9][9][10][3][4](52)

Exploding: (8d10)[2][3][5][8][7][2][4][7](38)

"Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Kitsuki will repeat his attack, aiming to remove the gaijin from the fight entirely and trusting in the others to handle themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maintaining full attack stance.
    (6d10)[3][6][8][10][2][6](35) keeping three
    (6d10)[7][3][8][8][8][5](39) explosions

So thats a 31 to hit for

and it it hits the damage will be

(6d10)[10][10][3][2][5][10](40) Keeping two
    (6d10)[3][9][2][5][2][9](30)

31 damage as well
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2014-07-23 at 06:57 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Kuzume grits his teeth at the pain of the strike, but is immensely grateful to the earth kami who blunted the injury from life threatening to merely painful. He scowls at the bandit and says simply, "So be it." He takes a few steps back as he retrieves a different scroll from his satchel and continues to call upon the spirits of the earth to aid him. As he finishes his hurried prayer, several small boulders rip themselves free of the ground and fly at the bandit, pummeling him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stance: Defense
    TN to be hit: 20
    Move a short distance away from the bandit. (you can move up to your Water x5 while doing other actions, right? If so, that's 10 feet, due to his decreased movement from Armor of Earth).
    Complex Action: Cast "Earth Becomes Sky"
    Casting Roll (TN 15 + 5 for 1 raise to decrease casting time = 20): (5k3) (5d10)[6][6][8][7][2](29)
    Spoiler: Exploding dice
    Show
    (5d10)[7][10][8][6][4](35)

Total: 21 vs TN 20. Success!

Result: Bandit is hit for 3k3 damage: (3d10)[7][3][4](14)
    Show
    (3d10)[3][10][7](20)

(1/3) Earth spell slots remaining.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-07-24 at 04:40 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that the Phoenix shugenja is relatively unhurt and has matters temporarily in hand, Ishi turns to face the tall swordsmen who struck him. Recognizing that he should end the engagement quickly and assist the priest, Ishi aims a devastating palm strike at the bandit's sternum. "Reconsider your course."

Spoiler: Round actions
    Show
    Maintaining attack stance (Armor TN20), Ishi initiatives a juijutsu attack, seeking one raise for increased damage.

Attack (7k3) (7d10)[2][6][3][9][10][1][2](33) = 25 without the explosion...I will assume it is not necessary to redo the explosions. If I am wrong, please let me know!
    Explosions [rollv]7k10[/roll]

Damage (5k3 now 6k3) (6d10)[1][2][6][3][4][2](18) = 13 Good thing I took increased damage...ugh
    Explosions (6d10)[3][2][4][10][6][10](35)
    Last edited by Mordar; 2014-07-24 at 12:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The bandit with the Wakizashi takes an uneasy step backwards, seeming to intuit that he is in outclassed. Tenzin shifts his weight forward, and transitions into Jodan no Kamae, with his sword raised above his head. "That weapon." He says curtly, nodding at the rusted Wakizashi in his opponent's hand. "As poorly maintained as it is, such blades belong to Samurai, and Samurai alone. There is a price to pay, for such desecration." The bandit scrambles back a few more steps, the grin completely wiped from his face. Bayushi covers the distance in one quick lunge, bringing his Katana around in a kaeshi strike at his opponent's neck. Like a Scorpion's tail, interrupting the wretch just as he starts to beg. Tenzin's sword cut's home before his opponent has a chance to react. The blade severs the major vessels in the neck, stopping only at the bone's of his vertebra. There is a squirt of arterial blood and a large gush of venous blood as Bayushi withdraws his weapon. He brings the sword above his head in preparation for another strike, but it is clearly unnecessary. The bandit collapses to the ground clutching his neck, choking on his own blood in an attempt to scream.

Yasuki spins to so that she is square with the spear wielding Ronin. Her sword is raised to her chin, tip pointing towards the bandit, crouched in a low stance. The tip of her Katana dives low, swiping the long spear sideways as she rushes forward. Once inside, Yasuki stays low, turning her blade around and cutting the inside of the bandit's lead leg. The blow nearly knocks the man over, and he screams in pain as the blade cuts deep. She removes the blade in a sawing motion, which serves to only deepen her cut and causes the Ronin to stumble backwards on wobbly legs. He swings the spear in a long striking motion, but the blow is slow and deflected with ease as The Crab warrior shifts back into her low stance.

Having moved out of striking range, Hideki turns to face his opponent. With his sword over his left shoulder, Kitsuki takes an aggressive Hasso no Kamae. His opponent is still clutching his belly, his scimitar clutched in one hand in an attempt to ward of the Dragon. Hideki brings his Katana down on the scimitar as he steps in, nearly knocking the weapon out of his enemy's hand as he performs a finishing thrust through the Gaijin's windpipe. Hideki's sword hit's bone, and he must literally use his leg to free his Katana from the dead man's body.

Surrounded by three opponents, his comrades all dead or dying, the wounded spearman turns and begins to flee. Blood pours from the gash in his leg, and he moves with a heavy limp. He swings his spear behind him, knowing he is too slow to get away with his damaged leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    The spearman is crippled and would be easy to chase down should the players wish to do so. Please everyone make another Investigation (notice) roll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Togashi Ishi turns to face the tall swordsman, now juggling two armed opponents. Recognizing that he should end the engagement quickly and assist the Shugenja, Ishi plans a devastating palm strike at the bandit's sternum. "Reconsider your course", he growls as he rushes forward before either of the Ronin can act. He catches the swordsman at the end of raising his weapon above his head for a downward cut, and uses his off hand to stop the swing. As he does so, Togashi unleashes his palm strike. But the Ronin back-peddles and the Monk's blow does not land clean. Togashi gives him a hard shove to clear the space between them again.

The armored vagabond recovers his bearings, and again rushes in at Togashi, as his companion stumbles backwards. He swings his heavy polearm in a downward cut "Yah!", forcing Togashi to sidestep to the right and away. Preoccupied with his enemy's Nagemaki, Ishi barely sees the swordsman out of the corner of his eye. Leaning to the side, Togashi just barely dodges the sword that whizzes past his ear.

His body feels heavy as Isawa moves backwards, never taking his eyes off of the bandit. Again he whispers to the Kami feeling his body tingle with energy. There is a sudden clap of thunder, as if something is being wrenched out of the heavens, before a large rock, the size of a human skull hurtles down onto the heavy set swordsman. The projectile strike's the man's shoulder, and he yelp's in pain. But the squat man is relentless and chases after the slow Shugenja. The man's face turns red as he makes a horizontal cut, meant to cleave Isawa in two at the belly. The Phoenix samurai takes a large step back, nearly rolling his ankle, but manages to avoid the bandit's attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The armored samurai is still critically injured with 21 damage, thus his attack misses by a long shot. The tall samurai is Injured with 13 damage so his TN to hit becomes 30. He rolls 28 and just barely misses. The short samurai takes 14 damage and is also injured. He also needs 30, but rolls 24.

10. - Top - End - #40

A practiced motion flicks the band it's blood away from the Scorpion's blade, and after a moment's consideration he disregards the last surviving enemy as being worth his attention. Besides, those injuries will likely kill him in due time regardless of what else happens now.

No, the important thing is to focus on what is going on around him right now. How is the battle progressing? Where else can he intervene to bring it to a swift end? And where is the Clan Champion - Tenzin needs to stand with his fellow Scorpion once more, or at least bear witness to their deeds...

Spoiler
    Show
    So, rolling Perception + Investigation, which comes to 4k2.
    (4d10)[1][10][5][7](23)
    Explosions: (4d10)[9][5][7][9](30)

Total is 26.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2014-07-25 at 07:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Recognizing that his opponents are reeling, but still capable of causing great harm, Ishi elects to press his aggressive position even further, and eschews defense in an all-or-nothing twin strike to the head and chest of the tall, sword wielding bandit. The only sound issuing from the Dragon this time is a heated hiss of breath, simulating his Clan's namesake.

Spoiler: Pressing the Attack
    Show
    Ishi shifts into a Full Attack stance, trusting his stamina and the injuries to his opponents to see him through without serious harm. Armor TN = 10.

Taking two raises for increased damage
    Jiujutsu Full Attack (9k4) (9d10)[6][8][6][3][1][4][7][8][3](46) = 29
    Explosions (9d10)[1][10][2][10][6][10][8][2][10](59)

Damage (5k3 + 2k0 for Full Attack) (7d10)[3][2][1][7][9][6][9](37) = 25
    Explosions (7d10)[9][4][9][1][4][7][6](40)

Again, not the most impressive result.
    Last edited by Mordar; 2014-07-25 at 07:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Allowing the last bandit to flee and bleed out not wishing to distract himself from a possible attack from a fresher foe. Hideki instead chooses to step back towards his wife and Tenzin while entering a center position. While scanning the battlefield for more threats he turns his head to the scorpion. "I wonder who could be such a fool to attack a gathering with so many Clan Champions."

Spoiler
    Show

(7d10)[8][8][1][3][3][5][3](31) I keep three and also get a free raise. =21
    (7d10)[2][5][8][6][6][4][8](39)
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2014-07-25 at 11:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Allowing the last bandit to flee and bleed out not wishing to distract himself from a possible attack from a fresher foe. Hideki instead chooses to step back towards his wife and Tenzin while entering a center position. While scanning the battlefield for more threats he turns his head to the scorpion. "I wonder who could be such a fool to attack a gathering with so many Clan Champions."

Spoiler
    Show

[roll0] I keep three and also get a free raise. =21
    [roll1]
    "It's a diversion." Tenzin says with quiet confidence, still scanning the area. "A loud, uncoordinated attack draws all kinds of attention, keeping eyes away from subtler threats. The attackers are expendable pawns - even if some dark miracle left their initial attack a complete victory, the response from the rest of Rokugan would be overwhelming."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Curious, Kuzume thought to himself when the rock he sent hurtling at the bandit didn't strike with enough force to put the bandit down, The earth kami must have been weakened by something in the area. Very well, let us try the spirits of air!

Kuzume backs away from his opponent again, this time circling around him as he goes in order to line up his opponent with one of the bandits currently facing the Dragon monk. Once he reaches that point, he calls out to the air kami to send his foes tumbling like leaves.

Show
    Complex Action: Cast Tempest of Air (TN 10) - (4k2) (4d10)[29]
    Show
    (4d10)[23]

Total: 29 vs. TN 10, success!

Result: All targets within the area of effect (a cone 75' long and 15' wide at its end) suffer 1k1 wounds ((1d10)[1]) and must make a Contested Roll using their Earth against Kuzume's Air - 2k2 ((2d10)[11]). Every target that fails suffers Knockdown.
    Show
    Tempest of Air damage (1d10)[1], Contested Air roll (2d10)[13]

Ongoing Effects
    Isawa Kuzume has Reduction equal to his Earth + School Rank (5 Reduction) for 8 rounds. His Water ring is considered to be 2 for the purposes of movement until this spell ends.

(1/3) Earth spell slots remaining
    (1/2) Air spell slots remaining
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-07-28 at 12:58 PM.

Signature of Holding

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tenzin performs a quick, though ceremonial Chiburi that leaves a trail of speckled blood on the ground. He surveys the surrounding battle, looking for his fellow Scorpions. The bandit forces, though large in number are clearly being outclassed by the Crab guards and many Bushi guests; this is no surprise. However, his attention is caught by the Bandit leader, the tall and wild haired man with the long Nodachi. The villain laughs wildly as he makes long, heavy slashes from atop his horse. The man is covered in gore, and makes quick work of a group of Crab guards who had tried to surround him.

Kitsuki, having made his way back to his companions still clutches his sword. "I wonder who could be such a fool to attack a gathering with so many Clan Champions."

"That is Shishidou", grimaces Yasuki, and she says the name like it were poison, "He was removed from his position as a General for the Hida when I was just a girl. Supposedly, he disgraced his family by gambling away his daughter's virginity to a Gaijin from the West. When he was exiled he became a bandit, and now he has the gall to sully the funeral of Munisai!". The Crab woman's knuckles were turning white and her hands were shaking as she clutched her weapon.

But neither of her companions seem to be listening. As the Crab woman talks, Tenzin watches as Shishidou is thrown from his horse, his body seeming to suddenly stop in mid air, while the horse continues on. He crashes to the ground and is suddenly dragged. It is clear that there is some sort of tether that has snared the giant. Tenzin surveys the area, catching sight of the tall Scorpion Bushi from before. The man appears to be using a Kasurigama and has caught Shishidou by the neck with the weighted end of the weapon.

Kitsuki is instead distracted by a far more concerning site. Marching towards them is a tall man in dark robes. His face is hidden behind a skull like Oni's mask, and his long white hair is streaked with dots of blood. He is surrounded by an entourage of Ashigaru, all wielding Yari with practiced movements. As Daigotsu marches towards the group, he casually dispatches of the fleeing bandit, removing his head with a lightning fast cut. The entourage eclipse Tenzin's view of his fellow Scorpion, and the battle that is about to ensue. The former Dark Lord of the Shadowlands regards the three warriors with quiet bemusement. "Are you three okay?" His voice like rain, but without tone, contrasting in the most unsettling way with the concern implied by his question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Togashi's legs strain with power as he shifts his weight back from his dodge to making an attack. Before his foe can ready a return swing, the monk lunges forward. He strikes first with a hooking punch, which lands with his forearm across the brow of the tall Samurai. Following the motion, Togashi drops low and pivots, unleashing a powerful straight punch with his rear hand, cracking the man's sternum and launching him several feet, before collapsing in a broken pile on the ground.

The bandit with the Nagemaki gives chase, again attacking with a downward slash. In such a crouched position, Togashi is too far forward to make a clean evasion, so instead the Monk rolls to the side, coming up in a cloud of dirt.

Kuzume continues to rabbit the bandit. He tracks laterally, forcing the swordsman to chase him. However, the Shugenja intends more than just to flee his opponent and as he moves, he prays to the Air Kami. When unable to align his attacker with the man with the Nagemaki, Isawa throws back his hands and unleashes a powerful wind spell. The gust of wind picks up the Ronin, and drops him hard on his back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Togashi deals 26 damage (9+7) which takes the sword ronin to 40 damage and out of the fight. The Nagemaki samurai misses. Kuzume deals 6 damage, moving his opponent to 20. I only had you attack this guy, because Togashi was standing next to his opponent, if you tried to pick of both Ronin you would hit Togashi and I figured you didn't want to do that.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2014-08-12 at 06:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaguely displeased with his execution of the final stance in the previous sequence, Ishi rises to his full height and faces the nagimaki-wielding bandit. Timing his strike with the ronin's graceless movements, Ishi pivoted his hips and crashed his elbow into the bandit's stubbly chin.

Spoiler: Finish Him!
    Show
    Maintaining the Full Attack stance, TN 10, Ishi strikes.

Taking two raises for increased damage
    Jiujutsu Full Attack (9k4) (9d10)[8][6][5][2][4][6][9][10][7](57) = 34
    Explosions (9d10)[1][6][10][3][9][5][9][10][9](62)

Damage (5k3 + 2k0 for Full Attack) (7d10)[7][5][5][7][4][8][2](38) = 22
    Explosions (7d10)[7][4][5][10][2][4][7](39)

Confident in the potency of the attack, Ishi then looks towards the Phoenix shugenja and his prone adversary.
    Last edited by Mordar; 2014-07-28 at 07:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Hideki bows turns and bows quickly, as deeply as he feels he safely can without leaving his stance or leaving himself open to surprise attack from more bandits. "Yes, as far as I know none of us are injured. I thank you for your concern though." as he speaks Hideki looks about trying to find the fasted or easiest way to the Dragon entourage. "I thank you for your assistance, but I must find some way to my clan with all available haste."

18. - Top - End - #48

"We are untouched." Tenzin says curtly, holding himself ready in case another foe should reveal themselves. "Though I question your sense of priorities, Daigotsu-San, enquiring after the health of those outside your clan when battle rages all around."

He takes a step or two sideways, attempting to identify how the fight goes between his kinsman and the bandit leader. Surely, any disrespect carried in his words or actions - especially compared to the dignified Kitsuki - can be excused by the rush of battle.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Looking down at the bandit before him, Kuzume whispers a quiet prayer to the spirits of anger and fire in the area. A katana of flame blazes into being in his hands, the hiss and crackle of the sudden fire causing a shriek of protest from the air itself. His eyes glow like embers and he raises the blade above his head. As the flames crackle and heat washes over the bandit, Kuzume says in a slow, even tone, "You have failed. Surrender and face justice, or be purified by fire."

Show
    Complex Action: Cast Katana of Fire (TN 10) - 5k3 (5d10)[4][2][7][5][9](27)
    Show
    (5d10)[8][5][5][7][7](32)

Total: 21 vs. TN 10, success!

Result: Kuzume is now armed with a Katana of Fire. The katana has a DR of 2k2, and Kuzume can add his Honor Rank to his damage rolls. (so 5k2+4 damage).The spell lasts 5 minutes.

Ongoing Effects
    • Isawa Kuzume has Reduction equal to his Earth + School Rank (5 Reduction) for 7 rounds. His Water ring is considered to be 2 for the purposes of movement until this spell ends.
    • Kuzume is now armed with a Katana of Fire. The katana has a DR of 2k2, and Kuzume can add his Honor Rank to his damage rolls. (so 5k2+4 damage).The spell lasts 5 minutes.

(1/3) Earth spell slots remaining
    (2/3) Fire spell slots remaining
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-07-29 at 07:15 PM.

Signature of Holding

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kitsuki Hideki bows at the waist, but only so low that he can still see The Spider Champion's weapon. As he comes back up he speaks curtly, trying his best to hide his discomfort, "Yes, as far as I know none of us are injured. I thank you for your concern though." His gaze flits around, searching for nearby Dragon allies, or a way out, "I thank you for your assistance, but I must find some way to my clan with all available haste.".

Bayushi Tenzin is slightly less polite, shifting his sword to a Gedan no Kamae, his kisaki pointed warily at the entourage of Spider Bushi. "We are untouched. Though I question your sense of priorities, Daigotsu-San, inquiring after the health of those outside your clan when battle rages all around."

The Scorpion sidesteps, trying to see around Daigotsu's warriors, but one of the Bushi breaks rank. He is emaciated and unkempt, and a puckered scar is drawn tight as he grimaces at Tenzin, pointing his spear threateningly. "That is Daigotsu Sama to you, and you will speak to the Lord with the respect he deserves. How dare you question The Lord's wisdom, when offers you aid no less!" Tenzin's brings his sword around towards this Bushi, but makes no move to attack. Yasuki steps forward, preparing for violence should the Spider make any sudden move.

"Enough Henzou!" Daigotsu says, his voice terribly audible though it seems like he barely whispered, "they do not need our help, and so we shall go." The man named Henzou gives one more threatening look to Tenzin, and then joins his rank, as the Spider march past the group of Samurai.

Finally, with the Spider gone, Tenzin spies Shishidou's body, one arm wrapped in the Kusuri chain, it's sickle lodged in the dead bandit's throat. The forsaken Crab lies stiff in a pool of crimson his eyes lifelessly staring up into the sky in mock surprise. Standing over Shishidou is the Scorpion Bushi, his Kataginu torn at the left shoulder. Far off someone yells, "To the Temple, protect Kisada-Sama!" The Scorpion ***** his head, and then, drawing his Katana, rushes off for the Temple, disappearing in the fray of combat and fleeing guests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Togashi Ishi moves with his opponent, slowly circling each other. The bandit makes a small feint with his polearm, causing the Monk to back peddle. But as the Ronin begins to raise his Nagamaki, Ishi lunges forward, grabbing the shaft and wrenching his enemy forward and off balance. As the bandit stumbles within reach, Togashi crushes his skull with a diagonal elbow, crumpling the man's legs out from under him. Wit the bandit on the ground, Ishi is left holding the Nagamaki. He turns to his companion to see if the Shugenja needs aid.

To his surprise, Isawa Kuzume is standing above his enemy, the squat swordsman. The Shugenja has somehow summoned a Katana made of flame, and holds it in a clumsy Gasumi no Kamae. The downed swordsman is not out, and on his back, is trying to crawl away from Kuzume. ""You have failed," the Shugenja says, "Surrender and face justice, or be purified by fire."

The Ronin continues to scramble backwards. "Please, agh, don't hurt me. I surrender, I surrender!"

21. - Top - End - #51

Tenzin's lips twitch into a smile at the reaction from the Spider, but fortunately the expression is hidden by the mask. He watches them depart, then turns his attention back to the rest of the combat.

The death of the enemy leader comes as something of a surprise, but at least confirms that whoever the strange Scorpion is, he's probably not a ghost. Nodding to himself, Tenzin likewise makes for the Temple - it will serve as a good place to regroup, and he cannot locate his Champion outside, so there is little lost by following his cousin's example.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Togashi Ishi moves with his opponent, slowly circling each other. The bandit makes a small feint with his polearm, causing the Monk to back peddle. But as the Ronin begins to raise his Nagamaki, Ishi lunges forward, grabbing the shaft and wrenching his enemy forward and off balance. As the bandit stumbles within reach, Togashi crushes his skull with a diagonal elbow, crumpling the man's legs out from under him. Wit the bandit on the ground, Ishi is left holding the Nagamaki. He turns to his companion to see if the Shugenja needs aid.

To his surprise, Isawa Kuzume is standing above his enemy, the squat swordsman. The Shugenja has somehow summoned a Katana made of flame, and holds it in a clumsy Gasumi no Kamae. The downed swordsman is not out, and on his back, is trying to crawl away from Kuzume. ""You have failed," the Shugenja says, "Surrender and face justice, or be purified by fire."

The Ronin continues to scramble backwards. "Please, agh, don't hurt me. I surrender, I surrender!"
    Tossing aside the weapon, Ishi moves towards the prone bandit. After a moment's pause, the Ize Zumi places a foot on the wrist holding the sword and waits for the raider to release his grasp on the blade. Still, he is wary and yet disquieted by the taint of the place and so remains vigilant against attack.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming the bandit releases his grip on the blade, Kuzume looks to the Dragon monk, "Togashi Ishi, would you please bind his hands? I will be taking him into custody for now." At that, Kuzume tosses Ishi a spare obi belt to bind the bandit with. Once the task is complete, Kuzume allows the bandit to stand, and he motions with his flaming sword in the direction of the temple. "I believe there was a call to defend the temple, you will walk ahead of me and behave yourself. If you do not, I will be forced to carry out judgement here and now. If you try to run, the kami will catch you before you can take more than a single step." He nods his thanks to the Dragon monk, and then proceeds to the temple with his prisoner in the lead.

Signature of Holding

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Hearing the call to protect the temple Hideki rushes forward alongside the others, hoping that they will not be to late.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once the Spider Samurai have gone, Tenzin bolts, heading for the main Temple. Nodding to Yasuki, Hideki and his wife follow. It appears that many of the bandits have been routed, as many Bushi are also making way towards the large wooden structure, which is now beginning to billow smoke from it's top floor. The remaining Ronin appear to be trying to fight their way into the Temple, or fighting off the incoming Bushi and as the companions near the Temple porch, five rough looking bandits step forward. The first, Tenzin almost collides with, is bare chested, a long and hideous scar running from his collarbone to his belly. He swings threateningly at Tenzin with a double headed Ono that is already matted with blood and hair. "Harharhar," he laughs low and long, an evil glint in his eye

Standing next to him is a woman with long dark hair, and a face that could almost be pretty. She holds a Katana in her right hand and a Wakizashi in her left.

About 5 feet from the woman is a young looking scoundrel. He looks scared, clutching a Katana so hard his knuckles turn white. There is an older gentleman next to him, whose hair is already turning gray. He is dressed in a full set of Heavy armor and holds long wooden Yari. The armored warrior steps forward, "In the name of Shishidou The Greatest Bandit Under the Heavens, you shall go no further".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Togashi throws the spear aside and begins striding towards the fallen Ronin. The pleading bandit is still shrimping away from Kuzume, and backs up into the hulking Monk. He steps down on the wrist of the bandit, feeling it crunch as the man shrieks and releases his sword.

The Shugenja frees an extra belt from his waist and tosses the Obi to his companion, "Togashi Ishi, would you please bind his hands? I will be taking him into custody for now". Togashi shrugs before locking the bandit's arm behind his back in a merciless Gyaku ude-garami and tying it to his neck. He repeats the motion with the struggling man's opposite arm, but finds he does not have enough rope to bind the man's legs. Kuzume allows the bandit to stand, and he motions with his flaming sword in the direction of the temple. "I believe there was a call to defend the temple, you will walk ahead of me and behave yourself. If you do not, I will be forced to carry out judgement here and now. If you try to run, the kami will catch you before you can take more than a single step." He nods his thanks to the Dragon monk, and then proceeds to the temple with his prisoner in the lead.

Togashi and Kuzume make slow progress with the bandit whimpering and struggling against his captors. When the two finally near the Temple, they come across a group of three Samurai, one Scorpion with a porcelian smiling mask covering his face, a poised Crab bushi and Dragon Samurai who looks a little unsteady with the Katana in his hand. They are clearly outnumbered by a group of five rough looking bandits who are blocking their entrance to the Temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative will be the same for the sake of simplicity. Characters should assume Tenzin is already within striking distance (5ft) of the Ono bandit and 15ft from the duel wielder. All other characters are both 15 ft from either comabatant as they began running after Tenzin.

26. - Top - End - #56

"Shishidou?" Tenzin asks dryly. "Would that be the fool lying back there with a Kusuri lodged in his throat?"

Before they can answer, he exploits the moment of doubt created and swings for the laughing bandit with the Ono. It is a textbook Scorpion move - to strike quickly, then retreat, drawing your enemy out of position and denying them easy coordination.

Spoiler
    Show

Adopting the Attack stance, so no bonuses or penalties - my defense is once again 20. Then using a complex action to attack the bandit with the Ono. Regardless of how my attack turns out, then using my free action to move back a little bit, mostly to make it difficult if not impossible for the other bandits to close to attack me.

Anyway, the attack, and no raises for now: (7d10)[8][10][9][8][2][8][8](53), keeping three.

Exploding: (7d10)[4][2][9][8][10][4][5](42)

If I hit damage is 6k2: (6d10)[9][7][5][8][7][5](41)
    Exploding: (6d10)[7][5][1][9][9][2](33)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishi pushes the captive bandit to the ground and moves forward a few step. Focusing his attention on the interplay of elements around himself, the Ise Zumi again calls on the power of his Crab tattoo and a ghostly protective chitin appears and quickly fades from sight. Recognizing that these bandits appear, for the most part, more capable than the three Ishi and Kuzume defeated, the Dragon prepares for a more protracted engagement. His eyes close for a moment as he concentrates on a single breath...in, then slowly out. He knows now the Way of the Earth on the temple grounds, and it will be his ally in the coming skirmish.

Spoiler: Combat Actions
    Show
    Ishi maintains an attack stance and spends a free action moving to 15' from the Yari-wielding and well armored man (assuming 15' of movement from a free action reaches that distance). A second free action reactivates the Crab tattoo, providing damage reduction 4 for 4 additional rounds. Finally, Ishi attempts a meditation + void roll to activate the Way of the Earth Kiho in anticipation of close personal combat.

Defense TN = 20

Meditation + Void (6k3) Target = 15 (to activate Kiho as a complex action).
    (6d10)[3][6][5][4][3][2](23) = 15 on the button. Ugh, far too close for my liking!
    Explosions (6d10)[3][6][8][5][4][9](35)
    Last edited by Mordar; 2014-08-04 at 08:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

When Ishi pushes the captured bandit to the ground, Kuzume moves to stand over him, his flaming blade positioned to both keep the prisoner in place, and be ready to defend against attack should it come. He once again calls out to his friends in the earth, calling upon them to smite the bandits who are defiling the temple.

Show
    Complex Action: Cast Earth Becomes Sky, with a raise to effect 1 additional target (Total TN 20). (5k3) (5d10)[5][8][5][2][3](23)
    Spoiler: Exploding Dice
    Show
    (5d10)[4][3][10][4][5](26)

Adding a Void Point to the roll which gets a 3 (see OOC Post)

Total: 21 vs TN 20, success!

Result: Kuzume summons up two huge boulders from the earth and hurls them (up to 100 feet) unerringly at the Ono bandit, and the older armored bandit with a Yari. Each boulder does 2k2 damage.

(2k2 on Ono Bandit) - (2d10)[8][3](11)
    Show
    (2d10)[5][7](12)

Damage to Ono Bandit: 11

(2k2 on older armored bandit with Yari) - (2d10)[7][7](14)
    Show
    (2d10)[10][4](14)

Damage to Older Armored Bandit with Yari: 14

Ongoing Effects
    • Kuzume is now armed with a Katana of Fire. The katana has a DR of 2k2, and Kuzume can add his Honor Rank to his damage rolls. (so 5k2+4 damage).The spell lasts 5 minutes.

(0/3) Earth spell slots remaining
    (2/3) Fire spell slots remaining
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-08-05 at 10:41 AM.

Signature of Holding

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing none his opponents are in range of a strike, Hideki quickly dashes next to the Scorpion bushi hoping to be able to assist him from the enemy onslaught. He gives a nod to Tenzin to let him know he has his back as he enters into his center stance hoping to use this moment of reprieve.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Shishidou?" Tenzin asks dryly of the armored warrior, "Would that be the fool lying back there with a Kama lodged in his throat?". Out of the corner of his eye, he watches as the axe wielding bandit reverses his swing, and raises his sword. Bayushi acts to strike at the man's head, causing him to bring his axe up to defend. Deceptive like the tail of a Scorpion, Tenzin's sword changes direction, striking the man's opposite forearm, from further away. The blade grazes bone, but draws a deep gash into the meat of his forearm. Shifting his weight, Tenzin then kicks off laterally, putting the bandit with the axe in the way of the rest of his companions.

As Tenzin is moving out of the way, Yasuki charges in, acting before the bandit or his companion can stop her. The Hiruma trained Bushi strikes from Wakigamae, dropping low and taking the bandit's leg off at the knee. He howls in pain as he falls backwards, dropping his Ono to clutch at his stump.

Hideki watches with hesitance. Switching into a defensive stance he rushes to Tenzin's side, nodding to the Scorpion warrior.

Stepping past his Shugenja companion, Togashi begins reaching out with his mind towards the void, preparing for battle. The dark blue crab tattoo over his right chest begins glowing and his eyes light with a green fire. The Monk, throws his captive to the ground in preparation for combat. Speaking a low prayer, Ishi can feel his hands harden into weapons again, the flesh and bone becoming hard as iron.

Nearby, Kuzume points his Katana of fire at the downed hostage. Again reaching out to the spirits, the Shugenja conjures Stone out of Air. Two large boulders begin hovering around the Phoenix's head. He makes two flicks of his free hand, sending the projectiles off at their targets. The first stone sails through the air, and pegs the woman with her two swords square in the gut. She grunts in shock, having not noticed the arrival of the Shugenja. The second stone strikes the Armored warrior in the helmet. He takes a moment to re-align his helmet, but does not seem too fazed.

The female bandit recovers her wits and charges Yasuki, the nearest samurai. Jumping over her downed companion, the bandit makes a strike with both weapons simultaneously. While the bandit clearly lacks training or control, she makes up for her deficit with brutal aggression. The woman's Wakizashi swipes aside Yasuki's sword, while her Katana cuts down at the Crab's shoulder. Oichiba twists sideways as the blade comes down upon her collarbone, bouncing off at an odd angle rather than biting into her torso.

The whelp with the Katana rushes at Togashi. The boy is surprisingly fast, and Togashi is unable to step out of the way of his horizontal cut. The bandit's Katana actually bowes against the Monk's rock like skin, but still draws blood from the side of Ishi's ribcage.

The Armored Ronin surprisingly does not chase after his companion, instead rushing towards Yasuki. His spear tip slips forward, covering an incredible distance before finding home in the soft of the young warrior's right thigh. He frees the Yari, forcing Yasuki to stumble backwards on unsteady leg. She grimaces in pain, but refuses to cry out, and defiantly she returns to her Kamae.

Spoiler: Battle summary
    Show
    The Ono bandit is Down, taking 17 damage from Tenzin and 19 from Yasuki. Kuzume does 9 damage after armor reduction to the armored bandit (making him nicked). He does 11 to the duel wielding warrior she is also nicked. Togashi takes 15 damage after reduction, taking him to 39/76 making him Grazed. Yasuki takes 17 from the duel weilder and 15 from the yari. This leaves her hurt with 35/57
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2014-08-05 at 06:33 PM.