Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LX: A Song of Loss and Ire - Dance at Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler: CLG v LMQ
    Show
    Gaaaaaah
    Gaaaaaah
    Gaaaaaah

So many horrible things happened in that game.
    THE PLAYS

THE THROWS

THE QUADRAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh that game really delivered from a viewer standpoint :P

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Baron: "I'm open! I'm open!"
    CLG: "Seems legit!" *throws*

Also, ackerman is a BOSS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    So I'm at the really weird point in my career where everyone I play with in solo queue is a really annoying tryhard, and every time I group with someone, you all are so much better than me that I just get utterly wrecked. Any idea how to deal with this?
    Keep struggling? Try not to get angry and pick up what you can playing with the more experienced players? That's what I would recommend, for what it's worth.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to do a polling, if people would like to be helpful, much appreciated.

So currently late game focused, 45 min+ games are what we as viewers are seeing more and more of. The champion picks seem mostly geared towards huge late game power, and most games seem to hit a point where a single teamfight win for either team will decide the game. What I'm looking for opinions on is this meta. Do you enjoy watching these games, do you feel junglers are still able to carve out useful leads for their team, or do you feel that generally the early kills/drakes are worthless due to how late the games typically go? What would you say the primary cause for this new meta is?

As I said, answer if you wanna be helpful, if you don't, well,, okay.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

junglers are relevant lategame as long as they provide utility, generally in the form of CC. Lee Sin is a great champion to have in 40 minute games even if his damage isn't very relevant, and Elise would be a solid champion lategame even if her damage wasn't so relevant. this meta hasn't really marginalised junglers at all, as far as I can tell, except for those junglers who weren't previously good in the first place.

games require teamfighting because inhibitors no longer provide enough pressure to crack a base on their own.

early leads still translate into wins more often than not, and early kills/drakes actually are valuable enough to create leads thanks to recent patches

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't like late game team fights because it puts more importance on skillshot accuracy and probabilistic plays that I don't really enjoy as a viewer.

So I'm at the really weird point in my career where everyone I play with in solo queue is a really annoying tryhard, and every time I group with someone, you all are so much better than me that I just get utterly wrecked. Any idea how to deal with this?
    queue with me
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Deal with what, exactly? "Tryhard" isn't doesn't have a very clear grievance associated with it, and the latter problem is best solved through sheer perseverance.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by efdf View Post
    queue with me
    -snip-
    Is that every single jungle and flat MPen item

on Renekton

... I'm not sure how I feel about this
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Is that every single jungle and flat MPen item

on Renekton

... I'm not sure how I feel about this
    double zhonya's corki :^)
    i try to surround myself w/ great players...

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    movespeed quints cost twice as much as ap quints and are only recommended on a handful of laners
    Ah, but I already have them.

literally every mid laner does physical damage

it's called an autoattack, and if you're not using it you need to start

If you are a ranged AP champion that isn't Karthus, HPen is better than MPen 99% of the time. This is why I listed them as "depending on how much IP you have".
    Sure I use my auto attack, but in comparison to my abilities it does practically zero damage. I mostly use it to last hit minions.

So why is Hybrid Pen better? You get less MPen in total, and it seems the APen aspect is mostly going to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post

So currently late game focused, 45 min+ games are what we as viewers are seeing more and more of. The champion picks seem mostly geared towards huge late game power, and most games seem to hit a point where a single teamfight win for either team will decide the game. What I'm looking for opinions on is this meta. Do you enjoy watching these games, do you feel junglers are still able to carve out useful leads for their team, or do you feel that generally the early kills/drakes are worthless due to how late the games typically go? What would you say the primary cause for this new meta is?

I am really enjoying the recent games, though I'd disagree with your anaylsis. Still I'd much rather have a close tense 45+ minute game, then a 35 minute total stomp.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Sure I use my auto attack, but in comparison to my abilities it does practically zero damage. I mostly use it to last hit minions.

So why is Hybrid Pen better? You get less MPen in total, and it seems the APen aspect is mostly going to waste.
    Flat penetration is strongest early game, and AAs are a lot of pretty much any character's power early levels.

Yes, your abilities will do more damage. A level two ability will generally do about twice as much as your AA. But your AA costs no mana and is never on CD for even half a second. If you're tossing out an AA on the enemy laner every time you get a chance, you're getting many more AAs on them than spells.

With hybrid pen marks, you're still getting about 75% of the MPen marks, but you're ALSO getting stronger AA harass.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the number of players who don't bring armor runes into an AP mid vs AP mid match up is staggering.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Because harass is OP. Autos are free and while they may only do half the damage of your abilities at level 1, trading 2 MPen for 8 ArPen makes them actually hurt. If you're autoattacking even once for every two spells you use to harass, it's 100% worth the cost.

If you want a demonstration, I'm happy to oblige. You play whatever mid you want, I'll play Annie with HPen marks. Have fun never being above half health for more than a minute at a time while you're in lane (possible exception: crazy sustain stuff like Cho or Vlad).

That's not an exaggeration, by the way. I convinced a friend of mine who plays only Syndra at a mid-gold level to switch from MPen to HPen by doing exactly this once. He killed me a lot because he's better at mid lane than I am and Syndra's abilities are longer range, but I got the point across.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2014-07-20 at 09:44 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Because harass is OP.
    But if you are playing Karthus (who might as well not have an autoattack) or perhaps Twisted Fate (who turns all his auto damage into magic with W) and I can't think of anyone else, magic pen is straight up better and still cheaper.

Hybrid pen marks are a luxury buy, really. They're great and very useful, but the steep cost means nobody will really have a problem if you just go plain old magic pen. It's really up to you. Hybrid pen are generally superior, but runes aren't be all/end all and mpen are at least servicable. You can do very well with few and/or unoptimized runepages as long as you make up for it with skill.

above announcement brought to you by winthston's crit damage glyph emporium

I'll play Annie with HPen marks. Have fun never being above half health for more than a minute at a time while you're in lane.
    Tip for all of you gangstas who are still climbing up levels or making smurfs: Make your first runepage AD. It'll still be tremendously applicable on introductory mages like Annie or Kennen simply because of their auto harassment capabilities, and will fit pretty much anything with AD. Just build normal AP and use AD as training wheels in lane for both last hitting and better harassment oomph.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-07-20 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Deal with what, exactly? "Tryhard" isn't doesn't have a very clear grievance associated with it, and the latter problem is best solved through sheer perseverance.
    Let me rephrase that: Everyone is Solo queue wants me to play something I haven't before, or am not very good at (which is everything but top), and then they yell at me when I am not very good at it. Anyways, it doesn't matter now. I just play Alistar Support now when I queue with you guys, and do fairly well. All is well.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Tip for all of you gangstas who are still climbing up levels or making smurfs: Make your first runepage AD. It'll still be tremendously applicable on introductory mages like Annie or Kennen simply because of their auto harassment capabilities, and will fit pretty much anything with AD. Just build normal AP and use AD as training wheels in lane for both last hitting and better harassment oomph.
    To clarify, I'm reasonably sure Winthur means AD marks/quints with armor or hp seals and mr glyphs. To that, I agree, it makes a good first page.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Let me rephrase that: Everyone is Solo queue wants me to play something I haven't before, or am not very good at (which is everything but top), and then they yell at me when I am not very good at it. Anyways, it doesn't matter now. I just play Alistar Support now when I queue with you guys, and do fairly well. All is well.
    Look at it from the other side of the argument. Say you both want top. If he can play other lanes and you can't, the only way you can convince him to give you top is by highlighting your FLAWS in other lanes instead of your STRENGTHS, and that's a bad situation to be in. This is why I personally recommend learning how to play at least one champion in every position to a level where you're fine with playing a lane that's not your favorite. Assuming (falsely, but it's convenient for this example, hush) that desire for roles is spread evenly, the odds of no one wanting top is about 40%. Meaning you're going to have to fight for top with someone else 60% of the time. But as I mentioned, that's a false presupposition. The most desired lanes are the solo lanes (mid and top). So practice some other lanes from time to time. You're going to need it when you're not grouped with us.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Because harass is OP. Autos are free and while they may only do half the damage of your abilities at level 1, trading 2 MPen for 8 ArPen makes them actually hurt. If you're autoattacking even once for every two spells you use to harass, it's 100% worth the cost.

If you want a demonstration, I'm happy to oblige. You play whatever mid you want, I'll play Annie with HPen marks. Have fun never being above half health for more than a minute at a time while you're in lane (possible exception: crazy sustain stuff like Cho or Vlad).

That's not an exaggeration, by the way. I convinced a friend of mine who plays only Syndra at a mid-gold level to switch from MPen to HPen by doing exactly this once. He killed me a lot because he's better at mid lane than I am and Syndra's abilities are longer range, but I got the point across.
    Vlad is one of the few I would consider running MPen on, rather then HPen, at least in mid lane. In top lane vs. melee it's aa city, but in midlane virtually everyone outtrades you early (top lane too, for that matter, but it's harder for them to reach you), so you start boots and spend the lane running in, harassing with Q, and then running away before they can hit you back.

Start boots on top lane, too, actually. Just start boots on Vlad, unless it's someone who's guaranteed to reach you, in which case you start dshield or cloth5.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2014-07-20 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

start dshield or cloth5 or ruby crystal regardless

lots of champs are better off with just mpen

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Show
    Gaaaaaah
    Gaaaaaah
    Gaaaaaah

So many horrible things happened in that game.
    Show

Amazing swings, amazing throws. Think all ADC mains need to watch DL's masterclass in team fighting mechanics.

Ackerman was so beastly on Grags this game (those 3 huge plays - teleport after 1st baron to chunk DL, outplaying Seraph like mad and the sudden realisation that he was fed and could 100-0 DL in 1 rotation) but I think NoName deserves special mention for all the understated but absolutely game changing plays he made, dat baron steal being the biggest.

Jatt's comments were pretty merciless, I LOL-ed so hard when he said "This is how to lose a game 101"

Also, Dignitas is just so utterly disappointing to watch now, win or lose. Their two solo laners seem to be going through an adjustment period when the meta is shifting away from their favoured champions.
    Last edited by abadguy; 2014-07-20 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You. You and your natural 20s. Why do you hog them? Why?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Movement Speed is Vlad's best laning stat, as well as an incredibly underrated stat in general, especially in any lane where a range disparity exists.

Starting boots and grabbing sorc shoes + amp tome or ruby crystal on your first back gives you the same pen as a haunting guise, while sacrificing the other stats for unparalleled control. Vlad can't sustain a brawl early, so having combat stats is less useful than being able to outpace your opponent and just not get hit.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2014-07-21 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of nonstandard builds and random stuff

Zach's friends come up with decent ideas.

Spoiler
    Show

The leona game (in which I had a bronze 3 amumu tell me that I was only fed because Darius was bad and threaten me with a 1v1) was my idea, but it's included because that's what started it all
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

'Allo people. just found this wonderful place and wanted to throw my name into the league pile. I play on the NA server and am currently trying to claw my scrubby butt out of Bronze 1. just found the mumble stuff and logged on if anyone wants to get a game or two going.

Mercykilled: NA Server

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Well it's always good to learn new roles.

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Show

Amazing swings, amazing throws. Think all ADC mains need to watch DL's masterclass in team fighting mechanics.

Ackerman was so beastly on Grags this game (those 3 huge plays - teleport after 1st baron to chunk DL, outplaying Seraph like mad and the sudden realisation that he was fed and could 100-0 DL in 1 rotation) but I think NoName deserves special mention for all the understated but absolutely game changing plays he made, dat baron steal being the biggest.

Jatt's comments were pretty merciless, I LOL-ed so hard when he said "This is how to lose a game 101"

Also, Dignitas is just so utterly disappointing to watch now, win or lose. Their two solo laners seem to be going through an adjustment period when the meta is shifting away from their favoured champions.
    Agreed on the LMQ vs CLG game, that was a pretty cool game overall, despite the throws.

Really? I thought Dignitas was pretty dominating against EG, though they have been on a pretty bad losing streak otherwise.

I think that'd be pretty fun. Once I actually finish this runepage, I'll take you up on that. Though it's worth noting that I'm a very defensive player. My auto attacks on champions vs spells on champion ratio is not 1:2. It might be as low as 1:5.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post

1) I don't think the "meta" is really universal. It's just many teams being too careful and not trusting their ability to win the game in the midgame without throwing.

2) Of course junglers can carve out useful leads. Early or late, the team with the gold lead usually wins.

3) Primary cause? ADCs are strong would be the easy answer; they spike late. More-so tho, it's just some teams beginning to pick the strong lategame champs (Ryze/Irelia/Kog/Trist/etc.) and other teams countering by picking other strong lategame champs in order to ensure they can win after the inevitable throws. It's worth noting that not everyone plays by those same rules and the teams that don't are having their share of success too so I suspect there's again nothing intrinsically optimal about about the lategame focused games.

4) Sure, I find those long games entertaining to watch. I'm more interested in watching good play than flashy mistake-laden games anyways. Of course, many of those long games are mistake-laden which puts a damper on things but no more so than any other LCS game.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

I think that'd be pretty fun. Once I actually finish this runepage, I'll take you up on that. Though it's worth noting that I'm a very defensive player. My auto attacks on champions vs spells on champion ratio is not 1:2. It might be as low as 1:5.
    Autos are a core mechanic for good trading; if you're going to play defensively, better to know how to chip health and not get your health chipped so that you don't end up being zoned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris on a Stick View Post
    Movement Speed is Vlad's best laning stat, as well as an incredibly underrated stat in general, especially in any lane where a range disparity exists.

Starting boots and grabbing sorc shoes + amp tome or ruby crystal on your first back gives you the same pen as a haunting guise, while sacrificing the other stats for unparalleled control. Vlad can't sustain a brawl early, so having combat stats is less useful than being able to outpace your opponent and just not get hit.
    this is somewhat relevant advice against immobile melee champions, but those matchups aren't so common as to make it generally applicable. boots exist as a niche starring item for vlad, but they aren't adequate against irelia, shyvana, jax, renekton, lulu, kayle, ryze, yasuo, j4, wukong, or quite a few other top laners, not to mention pretty much every mid laner.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Really? I thought Dignitas was pretty dominating against EG, though they have been on a pretty bad losing streak otherwise.
    I'm not sure that dominating EG really counts this split.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Look at it from the other side of the argument. Say you both want top. If he can play other lanes and you can't, the only way you can convince him to give you top is by highlighting your FLAWS in other lanes instead of your STRENGTHS, and that's a bad situation to be in. This is why I personally recommend learning how to play at least one champion in every position to a level where you're fine with playing a lane that's not your favorite. Assuming (falsely, but it's convenient for this example, hush) that desire for roles is spread evenly, the odds of no one wanting top is about 40%. Meaning you're going to have to fight for top with someone else 60% of the time. But as I mentioned, that's a false presupposition. The most desired lanes are the solo lanes (mid and top). So practice some other lanes from time to time. You're going to need it when you're not grouped with us.
    Yeah, I want to learn how to play other lanes. And I've learned SupportCow pretty well by grouping with you guys. But I hate dealing with learning in Solo Queue, and I feel awful when I try to mid when I group with you because I always get destroyed. It's just frustrating is all. This is, at this point, mostly ranting. Feel free to ignore me.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I want to learn how to play other lanes. And I've learned SupportCow pretty well by grouping with you guys. But I hate dealing with learning in Solo Queue, and I feel awful when I try to mid when I group with you because I always get destroyed. It's just frustrating is all. This is, at this point, mostly ranting. Feel free to ignore me.
    No that's fine. Generally when learning someone new I take them into bot games until I'm familiar enough to stomp bits and then I'm comfortable enough to take it live.