New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default A Devils Revenge: Infernal Beginnings [IC]

Taldor: What remains of a decadent empire on the collapse.
    Yanmass: 'The' trade city of Taldor, located in the north straddling vast lakes, in sight of endless forests, towering peaks, and trackless planes.

But why is this important?
    Because devil worshipers are smarter than one things. They are not isolated to Cheliax. And because Bel, has looked beyond hell and his endless war, and decided to establish a foothold.

And what better way to do that, that to show good up, show how evil works, and provide a way, especially one that doesn't look evil, merely efficient... And it's working... That's why your are here, currently in the waiting room of the small underground complex created by the local cult of Bel, which is hidden underneath a little coffee shop on the corner of Lightway and Ordan't Path, called "The Black Drink."

As to why you are waiting here. Well, it's time for you to find out. A bell rings once, twice, thrice, four times, the little brass bell sounding out the wooden door to the comfortable yet stone room you sit in, the Hell Knight at the door opens it, and you see your leader, known simply as 'Dispatcher', his form hidden by a field of darkness, sitting at a surprisingly clear desk... Which is in truth, just where stone was cleared such as to leave a desk.

"Embresia, Rook, Georg, Aura, enter please."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Ok, go ahead introduce your character, feel free to post how they've been spending time in the room.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Devils Revenge: Infernal Beginnings [IC]

Aura spent her time studying the others in the waiting room. The tiefling was hidden in the guise of a short and bookish looking woman. She had spectacles, a narrow face, pox scared skin, but behind that visage were the eyes of someone who knew things, and had a power about her. She spoke to her familiar in a strange buzzing sound as her tongue vibrates similar to an insects wings, making bizarre sounds as her familiar did similar sounds back. Her eyes flickered from person to person while her head was looking down at the wasp perched on her chest level finger.

First, she inspected what must be one of the most disgusting examples of humanity she had ever seen. He had stringy black hair and looked like he hadn't bathed recently, or if he did not well enough. Aura shuddered to think what he would smell like if she was waiting directly next to him, thankfully she is on the other side of the room. The others were thankfully more well taken care of than that large... well muscled..., but smelly man.

Next she looked up and down the other man. He had surprisingly delicate features for a human, but something seemed different. He must be part something else, but she couldn't place her finger on it. Yet. Aura couldn't get a read on himso far, but he intrigued her

Finally her eyes fell upon the other woman. She obviously had a little orc blood in her, but none of the typical hardiness that goes along with that, though the woman didn't look particularly weak, in fact, none of them did. That fact made her feel uneasy as they waited to be called in. There must be an important reason for the four of them to be called in.

When they were asked to enter, she maintained her magical disguise. No need for the others to know everything about her. She stood and looked towards Dispatcher with respect. He was in charge and she knew it. She waited patiently for Dispatcher to speak on why they had been summoned here. Aura's wasp sat silently on her shoulder, occasionally moving her mandibles while looking at the other cultists in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    "Awww, look at that mortal trying to use a scroll, isn't he adorable ? who's a good mortal ? You are, yes you are. Here have a fireball"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"Only Taldarans would center a devil's cult on a coffee shop," Embresia thinks, but does not voice. Indeed, she says little at all, beyond a brief acknowledgement of the others. While the months since her mother's death has blunted her grief, she could still lose herself inside of it, especially during quiet moments where she has little to distract herself.

Seeing the Dispatcher immediately captures her attention. Whatever else, she considered herself a Hellknight, and Hellknights obeyed their orders. Embresia strides forward when he orders them to enter, and stands at attention in a spot that does not block the entrances of the others.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4

Rook looks around at group of people assembled and thinks to himself Well this looks like an interesting group of misfits. We have a what appears to be a man that has no personal hygiene what so ever. BEL DOES HE SMELL Even my mother smelt better then him even on her worse day!!!!!!! Next we have what appears to be a pox scared young women that is talking to a bug. She is Differently not normal i'm guessing a magic user or she is just crazy. I'm hoping for crazy that will make her easier to deal with if things go wrong. Shame about the scars though she would be pretty without them. And next we have what appears to be a women with some Orc blood in her. She looks normal and if i must say beautiful wonder if she is single but lets leave that for another time. he then turns toward the Dispatcher and keeps and eye on the nearest shadow in case he needs to make a quick escape.
    Last edited by razorfloss; 2014-07-11 at 02:25 AM.
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

Georg sat, slumped in his chair while he waited to be summoned. He felt tired, but hadn't bothered with coffee--it woke him up, but made him feel paranoid and gave him spasms. He noticed he was drawing the glances of his companions, and attributed it at first to the massive weapon strapped to his back. Then he registered their expressions of disgust, and sniffed once. Maybe I should have taken a bath, he thinks, and then they are called forward by the Dispatcher.

He took a moment to size up the other standing figures. None of them were as large, or armed quite as heavily, as himself. Still, he knew better than to rush to conclusions when dealing with the Cult of Bel. Even the pox-scarred woman looked like she might have some fight in her.

6. - Top - End - #6

Dispatcher is silent for a moment, though all of you can imagine his eyes on you.

"... One of our members has failed to report from Nantus, a farming village a day to the north east. This in addition to visions suggest that this will be something you're all interested in. Given that you're all simply training right now I'm sure you'll be ready to move by noon at the latest..."
    S/he pauses a moment, as if to judge your reactions.
    "Nantus is about to begin some sort of festival, something to some farming god or another, I've not been informed and I doubt it's important, but you should expect outlying farms to be empty. I've also been able to find for you some assistance."

A hand reaches out and places a amulet on the desk.
    "Break it if you need help. As always, you'll be expected to pay it back. A soul or two should your help die, a favour should it survive, I've been told we've been approved a Orthorn, so if you need to kill something, it's there... Questions?"

Spoiler: DC 10 Planes
    Show

A Orthon is a elite soldier of hell. Capable of holding large areas and fighting at long range.

Spoiler: DC 15 Planes
    Show

Orthons a mid-ranked elite soldiers of hell, trained in fighting in phalenxs, armed with a crossbow fuelled by it's lifeforce and armed with wicked barbed spears, they are capable of turning back demon charges, sometimes single handedly. However their life is pure pain as they live bolted into their armor.

Spoiler: DC 17 Planes
    Show

Devil traits. Can prevent planar travel nearby, when severely injured or killed flesh eating maggots will flee it's body. Fiercely devoted to the hierarchy of hell, willing to follow the stupidest of orders... And not to bright itself.

Spoiler: DC 23
    Show

Fiendish Codex 2, Pages 128-130. To be modified to PF of course.

Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

7. - Top - End - #7

Aura spoke in a calm voice, "What was this member's name and mission. How long ago was he supposed to report in and with what information?" Her voice was that of a young woman with a slight haughty tone to it. She dismissed her disguise with a thought. No need to hide herself now that she knows what the mission is. Her clothing morphs into a exquisitely crafted black dress while her body grows in stature and a well maintained pair of black horns are revealed atop her head. Her face changes drastically. No longer is it the plain scarred woman. It became that of a naturally beautiful woman, her skin a flawless porcelain and her vivid red gaze stays forward, paying attention to their Dispatcher.
    Last edited by Xunthrae; 2014-07-14 at 12:01 AM.
    "Awww, look at that mortal trying to use a scroll, isn't he adorable ? who's a good mortal ? You are, yes you are. Here have a fireball"

8. - Top - End - #8

""He's going by John Buck, he's been told to maintain the disguise of a huntsman wearing exactly what you would think. He was supposed to come in 3 days ago, I've given him one day over the normal lenience. As for the information, a sealed vault just past the Chalt border was recently opened, releasing a number of demons, a few of which are thought to have passed over this side, and the village is in one of the areas indicated to contain a powerful demon, so he was sent to gather information."

There's a pause. Probably Dispatcher performing some sort of body language that you can't see, due to the darkness spell.

"That was two weeks ago however. He could be lost elsewhere, or could be contained, however I cannot have that checked for another three days. If you're still in Nantus in 4 days time, I'll have a messenger meet you. However, lesser divinations have suggested that more immediate action is preferable, which is why I'm sending you today."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

At the mention of a farming festival, Embresia's impressive eyebrows furrow in confusion. She knows of no major festival to Erastil at this time of year, and wonders what could be big enough to draw the farmers away from their homes.

A dark suspicion floats up, but she shakes it away without voicing it. She's been wrong before, and its not like fertility rites were the focus of her mother's education. Besides, she has orders. "Shall we meet at noon at the city gates?" she asked the others. "Or maybe sooner, if possible?"

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #10

Suddenly, the sound of knocking comes from behind you, and the door which had silently closed unnoticed opens, someone who looks for the life of him to be a bum standing a few steps back from it.

After a moment of silence, Dispatcher speaks.
    "Thank you. You may go, knock if you have any more questions. Come in Sebastion."

Sebastion [as seems to be the bums name] walks into the room, carefully moving around the group.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

11. - Top - End - #11

Rook looks up in mild interest as he sees the bum and arches his eyebrow and thinks to himselfwhy does this bum have contact with a high ranking member of bel court

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

12. - Top - End - #12

At the dismissal Aura turned and walked out of the office; waiting there for the others to follow suit. Once they all were of the room, she spoke with crossed arms, "We can make our introductions at the gates. We will meet there at mid-day. Any objections?" Taking charge wasn't a problem for her, she liked the power.
    Last edited by Xunthrae; 2014-07-15 at 06:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Why does a deer hunter, or a older shortsighted pock-scarred woman?" Dispatcher says with amusement while Sebastion looks insulted, but says nothing.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #14

Rook turns to the now pox free women and thinks to himself well i can cross crazy off my list and she is now pox free. the scars must have been a disguise which raises some questions but who cares for now she is now scar free and pretty as a diamond. he then says I have no objections but i do have a question for you he smiles while he says this which makes his eyes shine Will you go out on scroll around the town with me i would love to show a pretty women such as yourself around and before i can forgot my name is Rook
    Last edited by razorfloss; 2014-07-15 at 06:09 PM.

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

15. - Top - End - #15

Aura leers at the man. "Well, Rook. We have more important things to do than have a stroll around town. If we have nothing better to do we can leave now and reach the town even sooner." She looks at the others in the group. "Do either of you have something to do before we leave?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

Georg watched the unfolding events, doing his best to mask his rising confusion. He understood about half of these briefings. He relaxed at the mention of demonic activity--there will probably be fighting, then. That, he can handle. The lot sent along with him can handle the brunt of the investigation while he focuses on keeping them alive.

And they certainly are an interesting lot, he thought as the bookish woman sheds her scars and reveals her horns. He might have been more suspicious of a fiendspawn like her, once. He'd had to re-evaluate things after throwing in with Bel, of course, and there was the question of his own ancestry...

He put the question out of his mind by considering if his other companions were human. Certainly the other woman seemed to have a bit of orc in her, and there was something strange about the man.

He grunted his assent as they were dismissed and plans were made. He stood, exited without acknowledging Sebastian or formally taking his leave, and left for the gate. He had already packed his bags in the hope that something like this would happen; he was tired of Yanmass, and could tell that the city wasn't too happy with him either.

17. - Top - End - #17

[DM Bot Ho!]

It is quickly revealed that both Embresia and Rook weren't prepared to travel at a moments notice [Something that probably earns Rook more mockery from Aura]. However given the state of Taldor, traders specializing in goods for adventurers and travelers have clustered together, so shopping will probably take no more than half an hour.

Show

Ok, notes:
    -You can buy a map of the local area for 1gp.
    -You can get in debt to the cult as you wish... Which is useful for purchasing things like horses. Interest will be charged in the way of a minor task.

By the time you have gathered again at the relevant gate it is around the time some people have settled for brunch. Assuming you stop only to trade horses at a rest stop about 5 hours down the road, you should arrive shortly after dusk. If you haven't all got horses, it will likely take until noon the next day.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-07-17 at 09:05 PM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

To hide her annoyance at being so caught unprepared, Embresia actually engages her fellow travelers in conversation. "How do we want to go about this? Simply walking into the middle of town and asking after Buck might get him killed, if he isn't already dead, and may well paint targets on our backs. But getting targeted might be the quickest way to figure out what's going on."

"I admit, I am a little curious about this festival, and what is inspiring it. I do not have exhaustive knowledge of the cultures of farmers, but I can not think of any holiday around this time of year. It may just be the sunlight talking, but what if the demon that is supposed to be there is involved?"
    Show
    Updated character sheet to reflect the fresh purchase of a light riding horse.
    Last edited by Blue_C.; 2014-07-18 at 03:13 PM.

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #19

rook looks at the pretty half-orc and smirks while she tries to hide her annoyance you know getting angry wont solve our problem and to answer your question I say we go in as merchants to go along with the whole festival idea. I can make some of my secret sauce and sell it to the villagers so we make some coin on the side and since we are pretending to be merchants we can ask all sorts of questions without being seen as weird. I've done it before you will be amazed what people say to merchants without realizing it and speaking of not telling people things I never did learn your names you heard mine after I tried to ask the pretty lady over there on a date he then turns towards the pretty lady and smiles by the way the offers still open you now

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Impressed with the man's persistence, Embresia cools. Slightly. "Embresia, armiger. And your plan has merit. I suppose the rough one and I can be guards to you two playing merchants."

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #21

Aura nods in agreement with Embresia. "I agree, the plan does hold merit." She ignores Rook's flirtations. "I go by Aura. Other than this 'special sauce,' what would we sell? I have a feeling they would think it odd we only sell the one thing while employing not one, but two bodyguards. Our cover needs to be strong enough to withstand inquiry."

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

Georg quietly focuses on the conversation for several minutes before joining it. "Name's Georg," he says in response to Rook's question. "I can play at being a guard," he continues, "done it for real plenty of times. If we're worried about attracting attention, we can either split into two groups, or I could go in on my own and look for work. Might hear a different run of whispers that way."

He pauses for a moment more, frowning with thought, and then turns to Embresia. "What d'you mean, you think the demon might be involved? You reckon it's hiding behind the farm cult?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, exactly.." She shakes her head, "It's just an idea. It could turn out to be nothing, but it might be worth watching for."

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC