New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's watch! Cowboy Bebop

Bebop made a pun in DUTCH? Okay, that's amazing.

RE: the vacuum of space, IIRC, you're okay if you expel the air from your lungs before heading out. Well, okay for a short time. All I remember is that TV Tropes had an extensive explanation but I don't remember where it is.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    RE: the vacuum of space, IIRC, you're okay if you expel the air from your lungs before heading out.
    That's what I've read. Let it out or the vessels in your lungs will want to rupture from the pressure difference.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I think the funniest moment in that episode is Spike's eyebrow twitching when he drops the egg.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Bebop made a pun in DUTCH? Okay, that's amazing.

RE: the vacuum of space, IIRC, you're okay if you expel the air from your lungs before heading out. Well, okay for a short time. All I remember is that TV Tropes had an extensive explanation but I don't remember where it is.
    Well, if they had the cat sit on his head on purpose, then yes. They did.

And I have read the page (warning, TvTropes link), but they are speaking about seconds. Spike was in there for a couple of minutes. I'm still calling bull****. However, it was also cool how he did that. And whatever the situation, it's not, and never will be, a good plan to go into space without a suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I think the funniest moment in that episode is Spike's eyebrow twitching when he drops the egg.
    It's funny, but not as funny as him sitting in the toilet feeling very hungover, or the fact that the makers made a Dutch pun about it. But that's just me
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Bebop made a pun in DUTCH? Okay, that's amazing
    It's also in German and I'd guess some other Germanic languages as well.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Episode 8: Waltz for Venus

• Awwwh, Yeah, pluck that base and finger that trumpet!
    • In-flight entertainment hasn't changed much I see...
    • You know, this deal with Spike not waking up from gunshots would make for an excellent Archer reference.
    • Well, that went smooth.
    • So... did they ge the bounty? Wait, they did? Colour me ****ing impressed.
    • And he's gotten a fan! How cute!
    • And the fan is very annoying.
    • Classic evasion tactic!
    • Aaand, the gang is back together again!
    • And we meet Rocco's sweetheart. It seems he does have a heart.
    • And now we know that Faye is the crudest of them all. Have a heart girl, let them get off first and then shove a cocked gun in their mouth...
    • Good to see that the idea of stormtroopers is still alive Stupid as hell (if you want something back that's fragile, don't shoot it!) and can't aim for ****.
    • Nope, he's capped. Not gonna survive. He's a crook, with a heart and had some success.
    • Poor Spike, he may tell Stella that he is dead. Just when she has found some hope.
    • And it seems they got the bounty on the other gang members, so double the success?

So, bad things first: Rocco is annoying, he may be designed that way, but still, annoying. And little over arcing plot, but that's a given. That's it. Very little low points this time.

Good things. FINALLY! man did they take their time to finally catch some bounties. And 2 in one episode! Is it christmas already? Because it's certainly not my birthday... Anyway, back to the good stuff. I'd say lose the bluegrass/blues/country/whatever tunes and get more jazz. The Seatbelts are great at free-form jazz and they should stick to it. Case in point: opening theme and credits theme. Anyway, I loved this episode and I'd argue that it should have come a lot earlier (you know, just to establish their ability to actually do their job). it felt a bit more sincere somehow. I also loved the fact that while Faye can be wily (see the episodes before she permanently joined the crew), but also be a bit more direct when she wants to, though harsh she may be...

I'll mark this 8/10, even if it's solely due to the fact that they not only caught 1, but 2 gangs and succeeded in collecting the bounty. You know, should they combine this episode's successes with the storytelling of Ballad for Fallen Angels you'd have a solid 10/10 episode and it would be the best episode ever. Sadly, it's one or the other.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    So... did they ge the bounty? Wait, they did? Colour me ****ing impressed.
    I always got the feeling that these guys were one of those minor bounties that we don't see. Doesn't seem like that much of a payout.

And now we know that Faye is the crudest of them all. Have a heart girl, let them get off first and then shove a cocked gun in their mouth...
    Heh, first time I saw this episode was on Cartoon Network. It was understandably edited, but all they did was take out the other person in the bed. I honestly never really noticed. Seeing it again on DVD was a...surprise.

I don't remember exactly which episodes are coming up, but this one I do remember as one of the better ones.

8. - Top - End - #98

Helium Spike was amusing too.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I don't remember exactly which episodes are coming up, but this one I do remember as one of the better ones.
    I think Jamming with Edward is up next, and then Ganymede Elegy... the first isn't bad, and the second is great.

And yeah, this is one of the more moving episodes. The subplot with Stella establishes that Spike is actually very compassionate, rather than the money-hungry bastard that most people assume he would be (as VT did in Heavy Metal Queen, for instance).
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Heh, first time I saw this episode was on Cartoon Network. It was understandably edited, but all they did was take out the other person in the bed. I honestly never really noticed. Seeing it again on DVD was a...surprise.
    Speaking of edited content - in Jupiter Jazz Part 2:

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Gren... you know... with Faye? Or did he just tie her to the bed. And if he did... was it consensual?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Gren... you know... with Faye? Or did he just tie her to the bed. And if he did... was it consensual?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's been a while, but last time I watched it there seemed to be no indication of that.

Gren seemed to just need someone to talk to, anyway.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gren claimed to not be interested in women, and the episode heavily implied that he was in love with Vicious, which was why he took the betrayal so hard. So no, I don't think that anything happened between Gren and Faye.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Episode 9: Jamming with Edward

• So, before I turn towards the gorgeous opening tune, I'm guessing this is the introduction of a new crew member right?
    • "It's time we blow this thing" hurrdurr, that's what she said (tasteless, yeah, I know, but I got a dirty mind, can't do a thing about it)
    • Almost looks like space graffiti.
    • there he is, the only missing figure from the main cast of Cowboy Bebop. Another hacking genius!
    • So Earth still exists, despite the hyperspace gate explosion and stuff.
    • 8 million, nope, that won't succeed.
    • Spike is even sitting out. It seem she's becoming a bot genre savvy...
    • So some crop circles appear and again it's secret cults and aliens
    • And apparently the nerd stereotype still exists.
    • Jet is not amused. spike, on the other hand, is quite amused.
    • So, underground eh?
    • So, something tells me that is not how hacking works.
    • Nope, not like that either.
    • And we have the wild stories about Ed. We already know it's the kid.
    • Ridiculously long name with a number suffix. So, rich and bored? Sounds about right...
    • A sentient satellite was making the graffiti, huh? It seems the Hitchhiker's guide was right: computers can get bored!
    • Spike is told to not use the rocket. So, yeah, he will fire it sometime...
    • So, the satellite is 'apprehended', but did they get the bounty?
    • Haha, never trust a hacker not having a back-up plan about you
    • Poor Bebo crew... They finally caught the bounty, but didn't get paid for it because the government is a cheap bastard...

Bad things: I get that the future holds a lot of stock for whizzkids, but this is not how hacking works, and if it is, then I feel sorry for the security of information and privacy since nothing will be even remotely safe as it can be hacked in a matter of seconds. Also, little music during the episode and little to no plot. The plot that was there was slightly thin. And the Bebop Crew definitely deserved that bounty.

Good things: nice reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This reference was well made. I also think that if anything, that the episode was actually quite funny.

The verdict is 7/10. Decent.
    Last edited by Socratov; 2014-07-25 at 09:15 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

14. - Top - End - #104

Yeah, not a 'wow-ing' kind of episode, but there's plenty of series left to watch.

The government being cheap here is probably why they don't bother to clean up Earth's orbit so it can be recolonized. Though I wonder how crumbly the moon is...
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

And in a series that doesn't focus on hacking, it's usually something where a prodigy hacker can run amok with anything electronic, so keep that in mind.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Also, Spike identifies as female now.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Episode 10: Ganymede Elegy

• Beer: check, couch: check, fan-****ing-tastic intro: check! 3-2-1, let's jam!
    • haha, now instead of just one, criminals aboard the Bebop need to stay sane with two irritation factors: Edward and Ein.
    • Also, kicking cans to dogs is bad. Bad bounty! Bad bounty! *shakes finger*
    • I find it funny to see that just about each of Jet's old friends is better off then he is.
    • Another bounty delivered. It seems they have been stepping up their game. I also haven't seen them go really hungry for some time now. Am I still watching the same series?
    • Not sure what to make form this whole Alice business, she is planning to start over somewhere else, but somehow I got this feeling that she won't make the end of the episode...
    • uh-oh. this is going to turn sour. The gigolo has a bounty on his head...
    • Also, Faye is going to be so sunburnt she will resemble a lobster It also seems she is a sound sleeper...
    • You know, if a zippo doesn't work with 5 attempts, then it's not going to work, period.
    • Spike, you don't have good karma, you reside in a Noir Space Western. This is what you might refer to as a trap.
    • Spike, I don't think you have any sort of moral high-ground to tell jet to catch him and not let go if you have released some bounties of your own. I't a bit hypocritical...
    • damn fine music for this tragic episode...
    • Jet's lady friend apparently can't aim for ****.
    • Well, the jury's out on this one: I'll assume they got the bounty this time...

Bad stuff first: nothing actually. Well, maybe Spike's tendency to forget he has no right to the moral high ground because he did allow some bounties to escape...About the nice things well, not a whole lot either. It was nice to see a blast from the past for Jet and to see Jet in action. But I missed the panache of earlier episodes. It just doesn't pop like the earlier episodes. With the interaction between Spike and jet limited and Faye being eliminated form participation altogether I feel it's less spotlight episode but more obligatory screen time...

sorry, but failure to captivate me doesn't really earn high marks. 5/10. Please note that the episode is not bad per se, but it's just doesn't do anything for me. It's just so bland. Well, next up Toys in the attic!

Oh, and by the way, after Jupiter Jazz pt. 2 I'll schedule a half time assessment, in which I'll revisit the past 14 episodes. Also, starting from the 1st of august I'll be away for about a week (going sailing), so, after Jupiter Jazz pt. 2 I'll keep a hiatus but as soon as I'm back behind my laptop I'll resume my duties with a double post. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Socratov; 2014-07-26 at 11:02 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

18. - Top - End - #108

This is the one with Ed gazing at Faye, right? Such an odd scene.
    ...that's all I remember from this episode. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    This is the one with Ed gazing at Faye, right? Such an odd scene.
    ...that's all I remember from this episode. XD
    Yes. it was an odd scene. I also can't really see what Ed is doing on bord of the Bebop, but I'm sure I will see soon.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

I kind've feel that the series quality dips a little in the middle. It gets a lot better towards the end though, so you should definitely stick with it.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Ahaha. It's gonna be interesting to see your reaction to Toys in the Attic. It's a...bit of an homage? With its own special dose of Bebop-ness.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ganymede Elegy is a "Jet" episode. It's in keeping with his characterization: Little in the way of flash, slow but steady in its build up, with a conclusion that has a glacial inevitability. I have always loved the chase between Jet and Rin. Jet never slows down, he never wavers, he never relents, and he remains calm and controlled even though he's emotionally invested in the conflict. It always struck me as a very powerful scene, especially with the music in the background.

Up until now we've only seen "Spike" and "Faye" episodes, which have a very different feel to them. Just wait until you see an "Edward" episode (Mushroom Samba comes to mind). "Different" is a particularly good word to describe them.

Actually, would "Jamming With Edward" count as an "Edward" episode? Seems like it would: frenetic energy, rapid changes in mood and focus, and oddly upbeat even when the subject matter is not?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-07-28 at 10:26 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Toys
    Show
    Isn't the next episode an Edward episode with an Alien homage?

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Ganymede Elegy is a "Jet" episode. It's in keeping with his characterization: Little in the way of flash, slow but steady in its build up, with a conclusion that has a glacial inevitability. I have always loved the chase between Jet and Rin. Jet never slows down, he never wavers, he never relents, and he remains calm and controlled even though he's emotionally invested in the conflict. It always struck me as a very powerful scene, especially with the music in the background.
    It definitely has a different pace and atmosphere, but it's a great way to show Jet's character in comparison to the other crew members. He's sometimes the under-appreciated member of the team. His level-headedness is often the stability that keeps the Bebop going. :)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Episode 11: toys in the attic

• this song is so good i literally just brushed my teeth to it.
    • That was a disturbing vision of something crawling around the ship.
    • Faye stripping Jet of his worldly posessions. I'm sure there is a lesson in here
    • Jup, there is, and Spike provides the answer.
    • It seems Ein knows what's up.
    • Funny how Faye and jet have similar, but yet completely different philosophies about life...
    • Ein knows what's up... And it's not a mouse or rat.
    • Too bad Jet has to bite it, do love Spike's view on medicine...
    • And finally we see the real problem...
    • I love the theorising... I love Faye shutting it down.
    • But, she still comes crawling back.
    • Faye: "I still have so much to live for!" Spike: "you have what to live for?"
    • So Spike has the plan.
    • And Ed has been confirmed being a girl
    • And he gets the kill.
    • Epiphany time! It seems to be a lobster, or what remains of it anyway...
    • Sadly he didn't kill it. and Now Spike may join the dance of unconsciousness as well...
    • Lovely, Ed seems to have Student's Metabolism: a condition which creates a gastric tract which is nigh indestructible and able to shut down just about every poison or toxin out there.

So, bring on the bad stuff. I'll be honest, I googled the reference because I have not seen Alien, so I can't critique whether it's good or bad at doing this homage. Also, I think it's weird that Spike did find Ein, but nog Ed. It also seems that the crew has forgotten that Ein is a superdog and that they should once in a while listen to him. Oh, and when is Jet gonna learn not to gamble with Faye, I mean, Jet is supposed to be the smart and down to earth guy (as opposed to Spike's laid back attitude and somewhat moronic disposition). Yet Spike needs to deliver the lesson not to gamble with Faye. Oh well, some people never learn.

Good stuff, I loved the animation of the whatsit. I really felt the mystery grow. Despite people having mixed feelings about this episode I liked it.

7.5/10. It's a good episode, with a fun plot.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Yay! You liked it! TBH, I ended this episode with a great big "whaaaaaaaaaa?" (Though after I saw Alien, I could sorta appreciate how they were aping the movie with the way the whatsit was sneaking around and ambushing people.)

In hindsight, it is kinda funny that you have a horror-style setup that pays off in such a ridiculous way.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The ending to that episode is great. It's also one of the few teasers you should really watch, because they clearly have fun with it.
    Spoiler: Paraphrase
    Show
    Edward: "And so they all died, and the story of Cowboy Bebop ends. But it's okay, because next week we'll be showing a new series, 'Cowgirl Edward'. Edward is the star, you know?"
    Spike (Panicked): "There really is a next episode!"
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I actually forgot that some of the teasers were done in-character. Ha! And I don't remember them being too spoilery.

29. - Top - End - #119

There is an old music video someone did using this episode and the Weird Al song 'Living in the Fridge'. It works great together. Might still be on YouTube.

This is a fun episode. Loved the bit with Spike using the flamethrower to light his cig when he realized he's missing his lighter.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Socratov my friend you missed one very important part of this episode, the most important part which is the Aesop

Spoiler
    Show
    CLEAN YOU FRIDGE!