New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Arcane Swordsage Spell List

A preface: Before anyone jumps on me, I am aware of how hilariously broken the Arcane Swordsage is as it stands as an adaptation sidebar in Tome of Battle. I am aware that can do Heroics/Martial Study shenanigans and know every spell ever. I want to change that.

One of my players has expressed interest in the idea of someone who casts spells in non-vancian ways. He's tried out Binders, Psions, Incarnum-type stuff, and nothing really strikes his fancy. He was paging through my copy of Tome of Battle and found the arcane swordsage adaptation. I explained to him that it was wildly overpowered because it could access every single transmutation, abjuration, and evocation spell ever and abuse the crap out of that.

He thought about this for a few hours, then came back with an idea: What if you made a smaller spell list like the warmage or duskblade for the arcane swordsage to use?

I thought that this idea might work, but I have absolutely zero experience when it comes to making spell lists. So I'm turning to the Playground.

Would anybody like to help me create a spell list for the Arcane Swordsage that isn't wildly overpowered?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Arcane Swordsage Spell List

Interesting. This probably ought go in the Homebrew section. But some ideas:
    Transmutation:
    Cat's Grace
    Owl's Wisdom
    Bear's Endurance
    Bull's Strength
    Mages' Transformation (a couple levels early)
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some ground rules you might want to think about:

• All active spell durations automatically expire when you refresh maneuvers
    • Reduce all spell durations longer than 1 round/level to 1 round/level
    • Limit it to spells with Range personal or touch, as the text suggests
    • Limit it to the Sor/Wiz list or the Wu Jen list (either, not both)
    • Metamagic doesn't work

I think that probably closes off most of the really stupid stuff?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Interesting. This probably ought go in the Homebrew section. But some ideas:
    Transmutation:
    Cat's Grace
    Owl's Wisdom
    Bear's Endurance
    Bull's Strength
    Mages' Transformation (a couple levels early)
    Stat booster spells are pretty much a must-have. I'll see about putting a list on the OP with the chosen spells.

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post

• All active spell durations automatically expire when you refresh maneuvers
    • Reduce all spell durations longer than 1 round/level to 1 round/level
    • Limit it to spells with Range personal or touch, as the text suggests
    • Limit it to the Sor/Wiz list or the Wu Jen list (either, not both)
    • Metamagic doesn't work

I think that probably closes off most of the really stupid stuff?
    That's actually a great idea, not to mention makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, the durations ought to be reduced.

I'm not so sure I want to take away the option of blasting magics. I think that limiting spells to personal or range would make more sense for a magical martial artist. It's not like you can give stances or boosts to other people, anyways.

Eh, I'd much rather have a custom-made list that isn't as open-ended as the Sor/Wiz list or as thematically limited to the Wu Jen list.

Metamagic not working is a must, though.

Thank you guys!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Long duration spells (non-instantaneous, non-dischargeable) are stances, can only target self

Instantaneous spells are maneuvers in general

spells that are discharged: need tinkering. They could be divided into a maneuver and a stance: the duration-effect being a stance, the discharge being a maneuver.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Arcane Swordsage Spell List

what tier is the rest of the party and what tier does the player want to be at?

edit: also, did the player explain what types of spells he wants to cast?
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2014-07-10 at 08:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The fiance of one of my gaming group loves Arcane Swordsage because it's so easy for her to play and keeps up with our high optimization play style. Between being able to constantly use Ray of Flame, Whirling Blade, and Greater Mage Hand in the early levels, and transitioning into Sleet Storm, Disintegrate, and Ruby Ray of Reversal ("win ray" as our regular DM calls it), plus constantly keeping the party buffed with Dolorous Blow, and being able to use Nerveskitter into Haste at the start of every encounter, it definitely carries its weight as more of a support/disable caster that still gets decent damage output.

I would allow personal-range long-duration buffs to be constantly kept active as long as he keeps them readied such as Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, but make non-personal long-duration buffs only usable in one instance at a time (i.e. once on one target) as long as he keeps it readied such as Greater/Superior Resistance, Energy Immunity, and Mind Blank. Buffs that target more than one creature would have their duration reduced to a round/level if it's not already (Mass Resist Energy).

Depending on what he wants the character to be able to do, you may consider another variant that my group has implemented, a Warblade that can learn Psychic Warrior powers as maneuvers. Limit each power level to the class level a Psychic Warrior would normally get it. Each power would be augmented for free up to his initiator level in power points. This would make him more of a self-buffing melee combatant with a little bit of utility, a Warblade gets far fewer maneuvers known compared to Swordsage, and he would be gaining access to each power level later than the Arcane Swordsage would get spell levels. Just ban him from taking Vigor.
    Last edited by Biffoniacus_Furiou; 2014-07-10 at 08:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    what tier is the rest of the party and what tier does the player want to be at?

edit: also, did the player explain what types of spells he wants to cast?
    He wants to be around Tier 3/Tier 2. That way he can stay on par with a lot of what his fellow players are doing.

As far as actual spellcasting, think something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    The fiance of one of my gaming group loves Arcane Swordsage because it's so easy for her to play and keeps up with our high optimization play style. Between being able to constantly use Ray of Flame, Whirling Blade, and Greater Mage Hand in the early levels, and transitioning into Sleet Storm, Disintegrate, and Ruby Ray of Reversal ("win ray" as our regular DM calls it), plus constantly keeping the party buffed with Dolorous Blow, and being able to use Nerveskitter into Haste at the start of every encounter, it definitely carries its weight as more of a support/disable caster that still gets decent damage output.
    That seems like exactly what my player is looking for. What Tier would you say that weighs in at?

I would allow personal-range long-duration buffs to be constantly kept active as long as he keeps them readied such as Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, but make non-personal long-duration buffs only usable in one instance at a time (i.e. once on one target) as long as he keeps it readied such as Greater/Superior Resistance, Energy Immunity, and Mind Blank. Buffs that target more than one creature would have their duration reduced to a round/level if it's not already (Mass Resist Energy).
    I think that something like that makes sense. That way if the Swordsage in question uses adaptive style to change up all of his prepared maneuvers spells, then the effects currently active on him expire.

Depending on what he wants the character to be able to do, you may consider another variant that my group has implemented, a Warblade that can learn Psychic Warrior powers as maneuvers. Limit each power level to the class level a Psychic Warrior would normally get it. Each power would be augmented for free up to his initiator level in power points. This would make him more of a self-buffing melee combatant with a little bit of utility, a Warblade gets far fewer maneuvers known compared to Swordsage, and he would be gaining access to each power level later than the Arcane Swordsage would get spell levels. Just ban him from taking Vigor.
    This also seems really cool. I'll talk to him about this option, too. Thank you for all you help!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    He wants to be around Tier 3/Tier 2. That way he can stay on par with a lot of what his fellow players are doing.

As far as actual spellcasting, think something like this.

That seems like exactly what my player is looking for. What Tier would you say that weighs in at?

I think that something like that makes sense. That way if the Swordsage in question uses adaptive style to change up all of his prepared maneuvers spells, then the effects currently active on him expire.

This also seems really cool. I'll talk to him about this option, too. Thank you for all you help!
    My group plays extremely high op, so using Disintegrate to deal 22d6 damage every other round at 11th level is par for the course. This is one step behind Aberration Wild Shaping into a Beholder with Assume Supernatural Ability: Eye Rays, which gives you all ten of its at-will eye rays. That trick would be Tier 0 considering he could also cast spells when using the eye rays, and Arcane Swordsage with the spell choices we've helped her choose would definitely be at least Tier 1. Just take a look at Ruby Ray of Reversal in Spell Compendium, and imagine a character capable of using that at will. Anything and everything the party ever interacts with will get hit with that from a distance before they even consider getting close to it, it's even more powerful than using the Summon Elemental reserve feat to Nodwick every dungeon.

Also remember that Arcane Swordsage can use Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Mighty Wallop, etc. Get an Executioner's Mace from Dungeon issue 135 (two-handed martial, 2d6 20/x3, bludgeoning and slashing), put Greater Mighty Wallop and Greater Magic Weapon on it at 8th level, and use Wraithstrike with Whirling Blade and Power Attack for -6 with Armbands of Might. You'll get 4d6+16+(1.5 highest of Str or Int or Cha) against every opponent in a 60-ft. line. You can put that line diagonal across two rows of twelve squares, hitting up to 24 opponents at once. Then Adaptive Style to recover Wraithstrike and Whirling Blade and do it again the next round. Or just (Martial Study:) White Raven Tactics yourself and recover them in the same round.

Basically, a Swordsage is currently decent at combat with a bit of thinking and positioning and very decent at utility and noncombat encounters. An Arcane Swordsage can get a few powerful (when available at-will) spells to cover nearly every utility situation (Greater Mage Hand, one teleport maneuver, Ruby Ray of Reversal), and put the rest toward brute-force, high-damage buffs and combos and extremely potent crowd control effects that can be used half a dozen times in every encounter.

I would probably limit the character to no more than 1/3 of their maneuvers known (rounded down) being spells, and reserve the right to veto any spell's availability as a maneuver.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My group plays extremely high op, so using Disintegrate to deal 22d6 damage every other round at 11th level is par for the course. This is one step behind Aberration Wild Shaping into a Beholder with Assume Supernatural Ability: Eye Rays, which gives you all ten of its at-will eye rays. That trick would be Tier 0 considering he could also cast spells when using the eye rays, and Arcane Swordsage with the spell choices we've helped her choose would definitely be at least Tier 1. Just take a look at Ruby Ray of Reversal in Spell Compendium, and imagine a character capable of using that at will. Anything and everything the party ever interacts with will get hit with that from a distance before they even consider getting close to it, it's even more powerful than using the Summon Elemental reserve feat to Nodwick every dungeon.

Also remember that Arcane Swordsage can use Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Mighty Wallop, etc. Get an Executioner's Mace from Dungeon issue 135 (two-handed martial, 2d6 20/x3, bludgeoning and slashing), put Greater Mighty Wallop and Greater Magic Weapon on it at 8th level, and use Wraithstrike with Whirling Blade and Power Attack for -6 with Armbands of Might. You'll get 4d6+16+(1.5 highest of Str or Int or Cha) against every opponent in a 60-ft. line. You can put that line diagonal across two rows of twelve squares, hitting up to 24 opponents at once. Then Adaptive Style to recover Wraithstrike and Whirling Blade and do it again the next round. Or just (Martial Study:) White Raven Tactics yourself and recover them in the same round.
    Yeah, that sounds terrifying.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who thinks that unarmed swordsages can be pretty powerful and whole-heartedly believes that the Vitalist is the coolest class ever. High-OP stuff is definitely not my forte.

I have a feeling that this guy won't be going crazy with all those swordsage buffs. Wraithstrike is pretty cool, though.

Basically, a Swordsage is currently decent at combat with a bit of thinking and positioning and very decent at utility and noncombat encounters. An Arcane Swordsage can get a few powerful (when available at-will) spells to cover nearly every utility situation (Greater Mage Hand, one teleport maneuver, Ruby Ray of Reversal), and put the rest toward brute-force, high-damage buffs and combos and extremely potent crowd control effects that can be used half a dozen times in every encounter.

I would probably limit the character to no more than 1/3 of their maneuvers known (rounded down) being spells, and reserve the right to veto any spell's availability as a maneuver.
    That seems fair, but honestly I don't know if encounter long buffs and mindblank-ing the whole party are really this player's style. He's trying to go for more of a 'kung fu/anime/some other third thing good-ol' battle blaster build. With that in mind, what type of spells do you think would be good choices for that kind of spell list? (as in, not gamebreaking nor underpowered)

STOP THE PRESSES! I've *gasp* discovered something!

So, it turns out that there is a expanded duskblade spell list on the forums!

So, splicing Biffoniacus_Furiou's warblade/psychic warrior idea with this, and you'd end up with a possibly useable arcane swordsage!

I think that I'll use that list + the normal duskblade list + some thematic abilities and get back to you with what I come up with.

Thanks so much for all the help, guys!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post
    All active spell durations automatically expire when you refresh maneuvers
    I like this and find it rather elegant. It prevents Time Stop shenanigans, as well as casting long term buffs and shuffling them out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright.

Here's the list. An Arcane Swordsage gains access to a new spell level at the same time a duskblade would. So, 1st at level 1, 2nd at level 5, 3rd at level 9, 4th at level 13, and 5th at level 17.
    Spoiler: 1st Level Spells
    Show
    Lesser Deflect
    Resist Energy
    Kelgore’s Fire Bolt
    Obscuring Mist
    Stand
    True Strike
    Rouse
    Bigby’s Tripping Hand
    Burning Hands
    Shocking Grasp
    Color Spray
    Blade of Blood
    Cause Fear
    Chill Touch
    Ray of Enfeeblement
    Expeditious Retreat
    Jump
    Magic Weapon
    Swift Expeditious Retreat
    Corrosive Grasp
    Critical Strike
    Deafening Clang
    Fist of Stone
    Ice Dagger
    Lightfoot
    Nerveskitter
    Nightshield
    Persistent Blade
    Phantom Threat
    Rhino’s Rush
    Snowshoes

Spoiler: 2nd Level Spells
    Show
    Deflect
    Acid Arrow
    Dimension Hop
    See Invisibility
    Sure Strike
    Touch of Idiocy
    Bigby’s Striking Fist
    Scorching Ray
    Seeking Ray
    Invisibility
    Swift Invisibility
    Ghoul Touch
    Animalistic Power
    Bear’s Endurance
    Bull’s Strength
    Cat’s Grace
    Owl’s Wisdom
    Darkvision
    Fly
    Spider Climb
    Stretch Weapon
    Swift Fly
    Battering Ram
    Bladeweave
    Body of the Sun
    Bristle
    Combust
    Daggerspell Stance
    Delusions of Grandeur
    Fireburst
    Flame Dagger
    Infernal Wound
    Ironthunder Horn
    Mountain Stance
    Rainbow Beam
    Scorch
    Shadow Spray
    Weapon Shift
    Wracking Touch

Spoiler: 3rd Level Spells
    Show
    Dispelling Touch
    Energy Aegis
    Protection from Energy
    Doom Scarabs
    Regroup
    Ray of Exhaustion
    Vampiric Touch
    Crown of Might
    Crown of Protection
    Energy Surge
    Greater Magic Weapon
    Halt
    Keen Edge
    Belker Claws
    Body Blades
    Clarity of Mind
    Diamondsteel
    Find the Gap
    Knight's Move
    Know Opponent
    Moon Blade
    Ring of Blades
    Spectral Weapon
    Spider Poison
    Steeldance
    Suppress Breath Weapon
    Unluck
    Whirling Blade

Spoiler: 4th Level Spells
    Show
    Orb of Fire
    Orb of Cold
    Orb of Sound
    Orb of Electricity
    Orb of Acid
    Dispel Magic
    Dimension Door
    Toxic Weapon
    Channeled Pyroburst
    Fire Shield
    Interposing Hand
    Shout
    Phantasmal Killer
    Enervation
    Bands of Steel
    Blindsight
    Displacer Form
    Flame Whips
    Forcewave
    Frost Breath
    Lion's Charge
    Mind Poison
    Vulnerability

Spoiler: 5th Level Spells
    Show
    Slashing Dispel
    Hold Monster
    Chain Lightning
    Clenched Fist
    Polar Ray
    Sonic Shield
    Waves of Fatigue
    Disintegrate
    Acid Sheath
    Aura of Evasion
    Charge of the Triceratops
    Emerald Flame Fist
    Greater Fireburst
    Girallon’s Blessing
    Ray Deflection
    Translocation Trick
    Transformation

Feel free to tell me if there are other spells that should be in there or spells that could be shifted a level up or down.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground