New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Dimensional Anchor / Lock

Hey guys and gals,

in our AD&D2 game we're currently havin' a bit of a barney with various outsiders / planetouched... especially Fey'Ri. I do not know their precise stats, only that most (or all) of them can teleport at-will. Which has been making fighting them really frustrating. Every time they get close to dying, they just port out and heal up elsewhere.
    To make things worse, we can't even rest to heal up and regain spells where we are, because they might pop in anytime and disturb our rest, which could be very lethal. We may be forced to retreat, but if we return we want to be better prepared.

So far we haven't been able to find a spell that prevents teleportation. We have most books available, I think, but we just don't know where to look! One of our players claims to have seen Dim Anchor the other day but can't find it again.
    Little help?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Dimensional Anchor / Lock

If it's not on the PHB it might be in The complete wizard's handbook, Tome of Magic or Player's Option (Spells & Magic).
    Hope it helps

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Found it. Dimensional Anchor is a 4th level priest spell found in Player's Option (Spells & Magic).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks! That should do the trick.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

solving something like this is really a big fuss
    playing the jogos de moto is a good time pass

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

We played again yesterday, and got the current chapter to a "happy" conclusion, all without retreat and dimensional anchors. In the end, we had the Fey'ri cornered at their own sanctuary, which they would defend at all cost. We slew a few, including one of their leaders, then the other leader and remaining survivors surrendered. We stripped them of their gear and valuables and let them go. They vowed to retreat to the Underdark and never return, for whatever such a promise is worth.

(FWIW, I didn't even want to fight them, and rather make a treaty with them, but I was overruled by the rest of my group who decided that "half-demons" cannot be suffered to live on Faerun, or whatever their justification was.)

But for future encounters, I will advise our priest to always keep a Dim Anchor prepped.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

There are other such spells/effects in 2e as well

Teleport block (L8 wiz spell, WSC #4), although that's obscure at best. Probably there are a couple other such spells lurking somewhere

A Forcecube version of a forcecage, being inside a prismatic sphere, etc, can do the job, but that's VHL spells & it's just as easy/easier to just kill most creatures as trap them thus.

Dimensional Anchor from PO:S&M is just fine for individual foes though; CT 11 for a priest spell even! Have the cleric make a scroll of it (up to x7/he fails his rolls).

One can always research new spells using some d20 spells as inspiration; if enough extra planar teleporter types are being encountered, it may be a very good idea indeed to do so