New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Guns of Icarus Online thread

Is there really no thread for Guns of Icarus? I'm surprised. Guns of Icarus Online is a PvP game where you and three others fly around in a steampunk airship shooting other airships. That's it, that's the game- first person airship combat. The game may be buggy, the UI may be bad, and the community may be mediocre, but you get to fly an airship with your friends and if you don't think that's the coolest premise ever then you probably won't enjoy it very much. It's also $15 on steam. Does anyone else play?
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Guns of Icarus Online thread

It does have room for improvement, but my god, this is the most fun I've had with a video game in years. Nothing beats sailing through the open skies with your spyglass, scanning the horizon for other airships, or narrowly escaping enemy fire by ducking into a cloud, or banging your wrench on the pipes in a desperate attempt to get your ship's balloon fixed before you hit the ground. I can't think of any other games that even come close.

In other news, I finally made level four engineer, so I'm no longer considered a novice! I'm not sure what that gets me besides access to the other maps, seeing as level really doesn't mean anything, as far as I can tell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

In other news, I finally made level four engineer, so I'm no longer considered a novice! I'm not sure what that gets me besides access to the other maps, seeing as level really doesn't mean anything, as far as I can tell.
    Ooh, congrats! I'm a level three engineer myself, but I've recently gotten into piloting as well. What engineering tools do you use? I take the wrench with the buff hammer and chemical spray for a more proactive, preventative engineering style, and an engineer friend I fly with takes the mallet, spanner, and fire extinguisher for a more reactive style. That works well for us, but as a (slightly) more experienced engineer, what do you use?

Edit: Oh, wait, I was in a game with you last night! I was piloting the Pyramidion of Giza and then engineering on someone else's pyramidion in a bunch of 2v2s between midnight and 1:00 AM easten time last night this morning. We were never on the same ship, though. I remember, right before I left, someone asked if you were actually an admiral and I was going to ask if you were actually made of cheese, but someone beat me to it.
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-07-11 at 08:34 PM.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I have this game! It's been a while since I've played, but now that I have a new computer, I'd be up for some games.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    Ooh, congrats! I'm a level three engineer myself, but I've recently gotten into piloting as well. What engineering tools do you use? I take the wrench with the buff hammer and chemical spray for a more proactive, preventative engineering style, and an engineer friend I fly with takes the mallet, spanner, and fire extinguisher for a more reactive style. That works well for us, but as a (slightly) more experienced engineer, what do you use?
    Depends on the kind of mood I'm in, or if I'm working on a specific achievement. Typically though, I go with the spanner, mallet, and extinguisher, but I sometimes go with wrench, buff hammer, and extinguisher. I'm not especially fond of the chemical spray, although that could be due to the fact that I keep forgetting to spray it beforehand. I like to play it more reactive, and use the little down time I have when I'm not running around like a madman, using the guns.

Edit: Oh, wait, I was in a game with you last night! I was piloting the Pyramidion of Giza and then engineering on someone else's pyramidion in a bunch of 2v2s between midnight and 1:00 AM easten time last night this morning. We were never on the same ship, though. I remember, right before I left, someone asked if you were actually an admiral and I was going to ask if you were actually made of cheese, but someone beat me to it.
    Oh yeah, I remember that! Small sky, isn't it? Hopefully we'll run into each other again sometime.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I have this game, and I usually log on with my mates to pilot a ship together.

Though it's unlikely we'd run into each other; we usually play at night, GMT+8, which is morning to most Americans and Europeans, and we tend to stick to the Asian/Oceanic servers.

I go by the name Grifen, and do give me a shout if you see me hanging about.

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

I have this game, been playing for over a year, so obviously I love it. I used to be a competitive pilot for on of the bigger clans before life got in the way and I've had to take a bit of a break. This game is great and I encourage anyone and everyone to give it a try!

GG Happy Birthday!

8. - Top - End - #8

Having come off probably the worst match I've ever been in, I'm starting to think about clans. What's the benefit of joining one? Any downsides? Because when the enemy ship is fully crewed by clan members, and your captain is actively sabotaging his own ship, you start to see the appeal of organized groups.

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

Well first off, there are no general cons of being in a clan, clans are simply about meeting people to fly with. GoIO is not just team based, its team dependant, no one persorcan carry a ship, let alone a team, so its always good to know who you're flying with.

I suggest going to the GoIO forum and looking through the "Docks" section, you can learn about each clan, they all have different values and methodology. My clan, Cake, for instance is about "Friendship and Fire!" We are a silly lot who focus more on being silly than good, we also love using fire weapons.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

There is actually a fair number of people on the League Mumble server who play. Ask around, you'd be surprised. A few were actually good during their tenure before everyone sorta stopped playing all at once. Mario and Djinn were probably the best of the group, if memory serves.

11. - Top - End - #11

So it sounds exactly like what I thought would be, just people to regularly fly with. Good to know. Still not sure if that's something I would want to join, since I only play once in a while, and only get bad crews on rare occasion. I'll look around, though.