New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read A Song of Ice and Fire

Can't say much unspoilered for fear of . . . well . . . spoilers.

I think you're still reading here in the wrong genre. At the very least, keep in mind the differing sizes in armies. Tywin has, as I recall, dang near 100k. Rob has less than half that. Tywin also sits in what is, for all intents and purposes, the biggest and baddest castle in the kingdom. It's not like walking into Mordor. You just don't do it!

Fascinated to see how your opinion of things morphs over the course of events.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    The real question though is who gets to be Khaleesi?
    Hiccup. He's pretty enough, too.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasn't it more like 100k+ Renly, 40-50k Tywin and 15-25 Robb? I don't remember Stannis, I guess no more than 10k.

Also while I think the first book was very predictable, only handful of events from now on will be so easy to guess. GRRM loves introducing new things late into the story and delaying inevitable developments forever.

Spoiler: SPOILER!
    Show
    I was predicting death of that brat since the end of the first book and he just couldn't get himself to die for next book and a half . . . damn you Martin for not writing the stuff I want to happen!
    Last edited by Tev; 2014-08-22 at 02:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Stannis has a paltry army, only a couple of thousand iirc, since his only support is from the Crownlands islands, and almost nothing from the mainland. Tywin's and Robb's are probably more evenly-matched than it might seem in ACoK - Robb has his twenty thousand from the North, as well as the army of the Riverlands, but Tywin's is largely in one piece and in one place while Robb's is scattered all over the place with several divided command centres and little easy communication betwen them, and probably quite a lot of his available army is still in the North and has yet to mobilise.

Renly has the biggest, of course, at around 100,000.

That's not accounting for quality, which is difficult to assess. It seems the Westerlands troops are pretty good, but logic and reputation would suggest the Reach and the Vale have some good knights, and the North seems to have quite a high quality of non-knightly troops.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah Tywin and Rob are probably numerically equal at the start of ACoK. Tywin started with something like 40-50 thousand, but he lost half his force when Jaime was captured. Then there's the losses he took in the forced march. That said, along with the fortress, his forces are much better equipped than Rob's and I think its mentioned the Westerland's can afford a small continent of their own professional soldiers and mercenaries whose only job is fighting.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

That's not accounting for quality, which is difficult to assess. It seems the Westerlands troops are pretty good, but logic and reputation would suggest the Reach and the Vale have some good knights, and the North seems to have quite a high quality of non-knightly troops.
    The North also has a good supply of seasoned fighters due to fighting off constant wilding incursions. It's not even a matter of quality so much as prior experience in fighting, to some degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

The North's got, like, level TWO Fighters. Bam.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    The North's got, like, level TWO Fighters. Bam.
    That's two whole feats folks. Wait no, THREE since they're human! Man, think of the early game builds. Of course Tarley decided to troll everyone and put all his points into Constitution and Intelligence, dumping Dexterity.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Yeah Tywin and Rob are probably numerically equal at the start of ACoK. Tywin started with something like 40-50 thousand, but he lost half his force when Jaime was captured.
    Well that "half" likely got scattered a lot, so I wouldn't count it as entirely lost.
    And Robb had casualties too in that battle. + he sacrificed diversion force (5k? I don't remember) to meet Tywin. So Lannisters still should have solid numerical advantage.

Btw this thread makes me want to go and spend two weeks rereading aSoIaF.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    Well that "half" likely got scattered a lot, so I wouldn't count it as entirely lost.
    And Robb had casualties too in that battle. + he sacrificed diversion force (5k? I don't remember) to meet Tywin. So Lannisters still should have solid numerical advantage.

Btw this thread makes me want to go and spend two weeks rereading aSoIaF.
    While in the show he just threw away two thousand troops on that, in the book he separated his infantry and cavalry, and left the infantry as a sizeable army to meet Tywin under the command of Roose Bolton. They lost the battle but retreated in good order, so casualties wouldn't have been enormous.

Casualties at the Whispering Wood and Battle of the Camps would meanwhile have been pretty minor: at the Whispering Wood the Lannister numbers were pretty small and it seems most of the damage was done by Jaime's rampage through Robb's bodyguard. The Battle of the Camps was hardly a battle at all, so while people were doubtless lost, probably not in any significant numbers.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-23 at 05:22 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah that sounds pretty accurate. I forgot a lot of stuff, especially retreat of Roose Bolton and his force . . . I really need to re-read those books

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    . The Battle of the Camps was hardly a battle at all, so while people were doubtless lost, probably not in any significant numbers.
    The Camps was a massacre thanks to the terrain advantage splitting the Lannister army in three parts.. A force of four thousand managed to retreat, of twelve thousand infantry and two to three thousand cavalry. And as with the woods, one of the armies started the battle completely closed off, between the rivers and the castle, rendering escape impossible. The wiki estimates casualties of at least 8,000.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasn't a massacre, it was a route. There's a difference and it was specifically mentioned as one IIRC.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

They may have been on a route, but the battle was a rout.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    They may have been on a route, but the battle was a rout.
    Damnable auto correct function!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    The Camps was a massacre thanks to the terrain advantage splitting the Lannister army in three parts.. A force of four thousand managed to retreat, of twelve thousand infantry and two to three thousand cavalry. And as with the woods, one of the armies started the battle completely closed off, between the rivers and the castle, rendering escape impossible. The wiki estimates casualties of at least 8,000.
    To clarify, all my references to casualties were to Northerners specifically: obviously the Lannister losses were significant in both battles either strategically or numerically.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Damnable auto correct function!
    What the duck are you talking about?
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

First week of the semester is behind us. I'll get an update to you before Monday. Preview: I love Asha and would be kind of completely okay if she burned everything to the ground.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

First week of the semester is behind us. I'll get an update to you before Monday. Preview: I love Asha and would be kind of completely okay if she burned everything to the ground.
    You mean drown everything in the sea? :D

i'll show myself out

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    You mean drown everything in the sea? :D

i'll show myself out
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

And then everything burned down, fell over, and sank into the sea.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    And then everything burned down, fell over, and sank into the sea.
    But the third one . . .

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Let’s Read: A Song of Ice and Fire:
    A Clash of Kings
    part four! ~300-~400!

And it looks like right now I’m in that weird part right in the middle where things are just about to happen, but don’t. No worries – things begin to go back into gear in these chapters. And now that the semester’s begun, I’m going to have a lot of time to chew on things as they do so.

Tyrion: I’m not entirely sure I like where this wildfire idea is going. I don’t see it going well for whoever’s on the receiving end. But then again, hard to say who’s going to be on the receiving end. In other news, Robb’s messenger to the Lannisters arrived. They don’t like his terms, but yeah, that was a given. The doomsday preacher brought up fire as well. Hmm… Time to think on this fire thing. And it turns out Cersei is human after all – or at least, she has something resembling a heart.

Bran: He remembers, but nothing coming of that yet. Oh well. Bran does a good job playing lordling, and the Crannogmen visitors seem interesting. And yet another dream where Bran sees through Summer’s eyes – I figure Rickon can too. Still not sure how this ability will pay off for them, but I think Meera and her brother will be instrumental in making this aspect of Bran’s character development pay off. Imagine if he could link with Summer while awake.

Catelyn: Catelyn treats with Renly – and I have to say, things with Renly are… interesting, to say the least. He looks like Robert, but acts nothing like him. Playing at tournaments on his glacial march north seems perhaps a touch naďve. Brienne of Tarth seems quite cool. Oh, and we meet Sam Tarly’s dad – he’s a bit of a douche, as we knew from Sam. Between the rainbow guard and seating Loras and not his wife at his right hand, there’s not really any subtlety here about Renly, I think. And that’s good. Selmy’s out there as a wildcard. And then Stannis shows up.

Jon: Hey, remember what I said last time?

I’m beginning to think this Mance Rayder guy is either gathering the Wildings somewhere deep up there, or he’s dead and there pretty much aren’t too many people left.
    Guess it’s the first one. I was half expecting it to be the second, though. The real important thing here is the stay with this Craster fellow. Now, I don’t much imagine he’s terribly important, but that daughter/wife of his, Gilly, on the other hand. Did she do that freezing the world thing so she could beg help of Jon? Seems like it. I’ve got no idea whether Jon just royally screwed up by following his oath here or not.

Theon: The straight dope here is that Asha is every bit as cool as Theon thinks he is, and then some. Let me count the ways. She completely messes with his mind just because she can. She give him the inspiration for his ship’s name: Sea Bitch. Bitchin’ name for a ship, I tell you what. She pretends she’s pregnant just to mess with Theon more. She can banter wittily way better than anyone else in the entire story, except maybe Tyrion, and if the two of them ever met the world would implode from the sheer awesomeness. Theon thinks he’s playing her, but she’s playing him so well he actually believes he’s in control of the situation. He gets all grabby, she gets slappy. She gets him to reveal every thought he has about the other potential successors to the throne. She gets him to “fill her pretty head” with tales of war and Winterfell. Oh Theon, if you weren’t so dimwitted you might realize that it’s you who had the pretty head. And then she embarrasses him at the feast, just because she can. And while Theon gets to harry fishermen, she gets to try for a castle.

Asha’s awesome and Theon’s a fool, Q.E.D.

Things of importance:
    * Adding Theon to the list of fools who say things that might be interesting.
    * Asha and Brienne are pretty cool.
    * Add Wildfire to the chain under Tyrion’s machinations.
    * The Lannisters are going to send a different set of peace offerings to Robb.
    * Renly’s offering to Robb is simple: Renly gets to be the king for real, and Robb can call himself King in the North if he really wants to.
    * The Iron Islands are about to muck a whole lot of things up.
    * So’s Stannis.
    * And Selmy’s still out there.
    * And that doomsday preacher in King’s Landing. Between the burning sword, the wildfire, and that guy, I get the feeling Wildfire will be involved in making the real burning sword.
    *Still not enough knowledge on this Mance Rayder guy to say much – but if he’s preparing to do what the Old Bear thinks he’s preparing to do, it’s just going to be a bloodbath down south and by the time Dany gets there there won’t be anything for her to be Queen of.

Predictions pulled out of my ass:
    * Asha’s going to die eventually, before Theon, and I will be sad because she’s much cooler than he is.
    * Stannis and Renly look ready to blitz each other out of contention. Dumbasses.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

The real important thing here is the stay with this Craster fellow. Now, I don’t much imagine he’s terribly important, but that daughter/wife of his, Gilly, on the other hand. Did she do that freezing the world thing so she could beg help of Jon? Seems like it. I’ve got no idea whether Jon just royally screwed up by following his oath here or not.
    Sorry, what? What's this "freezing the world" thing that Gilly did? I don't remember anything like it.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless I really misread things, the world (or at least, Craster's keep) froze completely when she went to Jon for help. Like, grass and cloaks and stuff all frozen over.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Barbarian in the Playground

Unless I really misread things, the world (or at least, Craster's keep) froze completely when she went to Jon for help. Like, grass and cloaks and stuff all frozen over.
    OK, I found the passage, and I don't think there's anything supernatural going on.

He woke to the sight of his own breath misting in the cold morning air. When he moved, his bones ached. Ghost was gone, the fire burnt out. Jon reached to pull aside the cloak he'd hung over the rock, and found it stiff and frozen. He crept beneath it and stood up in a forest turned to crystal.
    The pale pink light of dawn sparkled on branch and leaf and stone. Every blade of grass was carved from emerald, every drip of water turned to diamond. Flowers and mushrooms alike wore coats of glass. Even the mud puddles had a bright brown sheen. Through the shimmering greenery, the black tents of his brothers were encased in a fine glaze of ice.
    I read that as a poetic description of what happens in a forest in the [equivalent of] winter, when the snow and/or morning dew freezes: crystals are formed, and stuff gets frozen. Gilly just happened to be there, waiting for Jon to wake up. At least, that's what I understood. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

Yeah, that's GRRM's way of saying "It's really f***ing cold this morning."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler alert: Gilly is Elsa.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler alert: Gilly is Elsa.
    Gilly is coming.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not entirely sure I like where this wildfire idea is going. I don’t see it going well for whoever’s on the receiving end.
    well, isn't that the main reason to exist for an alchemical weapon?
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-09-02 at 04:21 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.