New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Let's see if I understand this correctly.

Recently, our party adventured in a shadowy demiplane that granted all creatures Radiant Resistance 10. My character, a staff implement cleric, was naturally a bit chagrined by this.

We defeated the various encounters and won the day. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I'm considering what sorts of things I may have done to work around this obstacle. Here's what I've come up with:

1) Obtain a handful of Frozen Whetstones. In each encounter, use one to grant the staff (which is also considered a weapon) +2 Cold damage per hit.

2) Due to the way implements work, this additional damage will also apply to implement attacks.

3) Since the additional damage is Cold, the staff's Radiant attacks gain the Cold keyword, and now do Radiant and Cold damage.

4) Now that the damage is no longer purely Radiant, targets must also have Cold Resistance in order to shrug off damage. Any innate Radiant Vulnerability would still apply.

If this will not work, please let me know where to find the rules describing the interaction. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's see if I understand this correctly.

Basically, expect table variation. The rules aren't really clear on this- the +2 damage will clearly be Radiant and Cold, and the power becomes a Cold power, but it's unclear whether or not the damage becomes Radiant and Cold or whether it's say 20 Radiant and 2 Radiant and Cold.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    1) Obtain a handful of Frozen Whetstones. In each encounter, use one to grant the staff (which is also considered a weapon) +2 Cold damage per hit.

2) Due to the way implements work, this additional damage will also apply to implement attacks.

3) Since the additional damage is Cold, the staff's Radiant attacks gain the Cold keyword, and now do Radiant and Cold damage.

4) Now that the damage is no longer purely Radiant, targets must also have Cold Resistance in order to shrug off damage. Any innate Radiant Vulnerability would still apply.

If this will not work, please let me know where to find the rules describing the interaction. Thanks!
    Point 1 is completely correct. Point 2 ... well, it has nothing to do with how implements work, but the item doesn't disallow the damage on implement attacks, so you're fine there.

The middle clause of Point 3 is the only real problem. If you're using the Rules Compendium, page 115 supports you quite explicitly: "If a power gains or loses damage types, the power gains the keywords for any damage types that are added, and loses the keywords for any damage types that are removed. Adding 1 point of cold damage adds the damage type to the attack, as it is part of the attack, conferring the keyword which confers the damage type to the entire attack." And then the rest of your argument follows.

If you're not using the Rules Compendium, then no. The radiant attack would deal its regular radiant damage and the the Frozen Whetstone would add a couple points of cold damage, and none at all would be "radiant and cold".
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Point 2 ... well, it has nothing to do with how implements work, but the item doesn't disallow the damage on implement attacks, so you're fine there.
    I should have phrased this "weapons as implements".

The Rules Compendium is indeed in use. Thanks for chiming in!