New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: IC VIII Lost in the Flood

Rhenner leans against the wall and closes his eyes for a short moment. There are more than a few scrambled thoughts in his head and he knows he'll need to sort them out eventually, for the good of his sanity in the long run and all that. But that will have to wait 'til later, the medic thinks and then proceeds to examine and bind all the wounds of everyone present. If they argue that they have mere scratches and don't require looking after, he will give them an annoyed glare and a few stingy comments about the risk of infection and what happens to people who don't listen to their healer. It would seem that the easiest way to get him to shut up and move on is to let him treat them as he pleases.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone has still serious wounds (can't remember what the situation at the end was), he'll cast his last healing spells on them.

"It looks worse than is", he mutters while examining Natalia, "Most of this blood is not your own."
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia winces as Rhenner binds her wounds, more from the comment than from the sting of antiseptic. She looks down at her hands and sleeves and long leather coat, spattered and street and smeared with blood in a deranged abstract pattern. "Rhenner," she says, slowing down her item sorting and identifying (she's almost done anyway). "Rhenner, I...in the shredder, I wasn't...I wasn't going to...leave him." her voice gets smaller and smaller as she continues.

3. - Top - End - #153

Griffon

Rhenner doesn't say anything, or look up. He just wraps the bandage around Natalia's wound and ties it. He examines her left hand still, but after cleaning the blood, finds no cut or injury.

"Anger... can make you do things you don't mean."

4. - Top - End - #154

Natalia buries her face into her hands. Rhenner's words comfort her, but they don't completely assuage the guilt.

"I know, but...I still wanted to...to hurt him for what he did." she draws her knees up. "I didn't think or know id do that. I thought I...I thought I was...better than that," she says, searching for the word.

5. - Top - End - #155

Griffon

"What you are and what you want to be are two different things", the medic says, sounding tired and sits down to sort and pack his medical equipment back into the bag. He would like to believe her, when she says she wasn't going to leave the gnome to suffer, but doesn't know what to think. Does it really even matter?

"You spoke of your shadows earlier, in the other cavern", Rhenner says out loud, though he still doesn't look at Natalia, but concentrates on arranging small bottles in order, "I think I understand better now what you meant."

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "What you are and what you want to be are two different things", the medic says, sounding tired and sits down to sort and pack his medical equipment back into the bag. He would like to believe her, when she says she wasn't going to leave the gnome to suffer, but doesn't know what to think. Does it really even matter?
    "I know," Natalia says, and she says it like she does know, truly understands. "But not like this. Not here."

"You spoke of your shadows earlier, in the other cavern", Rhenner says out loud, though he still doesn't look at Natalia, but concentrates on arranging small bottles in order, "I think I understand better now what you meant."
    "But what can I do? How can...find them, fight them? Banish shadows into light, or...leash them to me?" Natalia stutters as the tongues spell runs out mid-sentence, and she looks down for some time before looking up at everyone. Inside, she wants someone to find a way to help her, or even hold her and say she can fix this, that things will be okay.

7. - Top - End - #157

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    "I know," Natalia says, and she says it like she does know, truly understands. "But not like this. Not here."

"But what can I do? How can...find them, fight them? Banish shadows into light, or...leash them to me?" Natalia stutters as the tongues spell runs out mid-sentence, and she looks down for some time before looking up at everyone. Inside, she wants someone to find a way to help her, or even hold her and say she can fix this, that things will be okay.
    "Don't ask me, if I were wise enough to have answers like that, I probably wouldn't be wandering around in places like this." One of those twisted smirks pass through Rhenner's face, but it is gone when he finally looks up at the rogue. And now she's again like a small scared girl. And the fact that she slaughtered all those guards just a while ago seems almost absurd.

He leans against the wall again and closes his eyes. Can I sleep before I have to think about everything? I could use a moment of peace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Except that I don't think he's going to sleep very peacefully tonight.

8. - Top - End - #158

"Don't ask me, if I were wise enough to have answers like that, I probably wouldn't be wandering around in places like this." One of those twisted smirks pass through Rhenner's face, but it is gone when he finally looks up at the rogue. And now she's again like a small scared girl. And the fact that she slaughtered all those guards just a while ago seems almost absurd.

He leans against the wall again and closes his eyes. Can I sleep before I have to think about everything? I could use a moment of peace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Except that I don't think he's going to sleep very peacefully tonight.
    Natalia sighs. She really doesn't look much like the girl who literally tore her way through the guards. Bit she is the same girl, and it's clear that's another thing on the rogue's mind as she tries to rub the bloodstains from her longcoat. She looks at all of her friends in turn. "Gou all...fight shadows too? ...how?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Stephan had spend most of his time dressing his own wounds (only to be glared and corrected by a morose half-elf), he couldn't help but hear the conversation between Rhenner and Natalia "I learnt how to kill my heart a long time ago..."
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #160

Mithril sat alone, once again lost in her thoughtsI wonder if the Voice is listening now. Was he the one that disrupted the spell? Or she or it... I don't know anything about the Voice do I?

At Stephan's comment she snapped back into reality. "It isn't your heart you have to silence, just your mind."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

11. - Top - End - #161

"What?" Natalia stares at Stephan as if she can't quite comprehend what he's saying. "what meant by that? Kill feeling of killing, ignore pain?!" Her voice slightly roses in indignation. How could that help?

And yet...and yet even now Natalia knows her sleep will be short and plagued by nightmares. And how long can she keep doing this?

Mithril's comment snaps her out of it. "What meant...what difference?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2014-07-31 at 09:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Mithril sat alone, once again lost in her thoughtsI wonder if the Voice is listening now. Was he the one that disrupted the spell? Or she or it... I don't know anything about the Voice do I?

At Stephan's comment she snapped back into reality. "It isn't your heart you have to silence, just your mind."
    "Is it really?" Stephan asks

"What?" Natalia stares at Stephan as if she can't quite comprehend what he's saying. "what meant by that? Kill feeling of killing, ignore pain?!" Her voice slightly roses in indignation. How could that help?
    "Detaching yourself, ignoring everything that comes between you and what you must do"
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    "Is it really?" Stephan asks

"Detaching yourself, ignoring everything that comes between you and what you must do"
    "Which is territory of the mind not the heart. Our heart has no control over such functions, it merely acts as our lungs. Moving without thought until it, and we, die. Though that pain of thoughts is needed, all detaching does is make you unstoppable against friend and foe."

14. - Top - End - #164

"But I don't want...not feel, to not want surrender. I wish...didn't have to kill. Bit know need, to protect." she stares at her hands again before looking back up at Stephan and Mithril. "Kill vengeance but spare pain...what I want. What I, I..." she clenches her eyes and fists shut, but all that does is squeeE out the tears. It takes several ragged breaths before she can speak.

"There were three in Shredder. Orgun, shadow gnome, and drow. What was in there..." Natalia needs to take several deep breaths to strait herself before continuing. "Needed to save. But too many potions, couldn't tell what hurt...or healed. Gnome told me. But lied. Said...said poison was cure. I thought cure. And...drow died. Choked and died and..." she looks down and it's clear she's seeing the scene again. "I couldn't save.

"He lied. Made me kill whe tried to save, made me kill again. I wanted...him to hurt. Bleed. So..."
    she curls in on herself, her voice so small as to be a squeal. "I did."

Natalia's eyes spring open and she's practically pleading now. "Knew it wrong right when done! But already done! Shadows...caught up. And...and..." she falls silent again.

15. - Top - End - #165

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    "Which is territory of the mind not the heart. Our heart has no control over such functions, it merely acts as our lungs. Moving without thought until it, and we, die. Though that pain of thoughts is needed, all detaching does is make you unstoppable against friend and foe."
    "The wizard here likes to be specific about things", Rhenner says without opening his eyes, "Metaphors are a waste of time for her."

"But I don't want...not feel, to not want surrender. I wish...didn't have to kill. Bit know need, to protect." she stares at her hands again before looking back up at Stephan and Mithril. "Kill vengeance but spare pain...what I want. What I, I..." she clenches her eyes and fists shut, but all that does is squeeE out the tears. It takes several ragged breaths before she can speak.

"There were three in Shredder. Orgun, shadow gnome, and drow. What was in there..." Natalia needs to take several deep breaths to strait herself before continuing. "Needed to save. But too many potions, couldn't tell what hurt...or healed. Gnome told me. But lied. Said...said poison was cure. I thought cure. And...drow died. Choked and died and..." she looks down and it's clear she's seeing the scene again. "I couldn't save.

"He lied. Made me kill whe tried to save, made me kill again. I wanted...him to hurt. Bleed. So..."
    she curls in on herself, her voice so small as to be a squeal. "I did."

Natalia's eyes spring open and she's practically pleading now. "Knew it wrong right when done! But already done! Shadows...caught up. And...and..." she falls silent again.
    "If you could manage the paradox when killing was easy for your body, but difficult to your soul, sorry mind, wouldn't that be great?"
    You'd think he'd get tired of the sarcasm eventually.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-07-31 at 10:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

"I don't think any of us can avoid shadows for long. A side effect of our work perhaps?"

17. - Top - End - #167

"Even if...I want to tame them. Not be...led by them. Mithril, your shadows, are they...?""

Natalia looks at Rhenner in confusion and hurt.

Spoiler: I'm sorry
    Show
    it's probably because I'm tired but what does Rhenner mean by that?

18. - Top - End - #168

"Even if...I want to tame them. Not be...led by them. Mithril, your shadows, are they...?""

Show
    "They exist. Beyond that I don't wish to discuss them."

19. - Top - End - #169

"Mithril..." Natalia shifts closer to Mithril, opening her arms slightly as she silently requests a hug. She's not sure whether it's for herself or Mithril more. Or how much it matters here.

20. - Top - End - #170

Griffon

Show
    Rhenner opens his eyes a little to see Natalia's face. "What? Isn't that what you hope? That you can easily kill with your hands, but weep for every one in your heart. Mind. Sorry." He's tired himself and becoming more snappy because of it. On some level he knows he's probably going to regret this tone later, but can't be bothered to care about it right at this moment. "But as you can hear from your comrades tales, that is not something easily achieved. I would actually almost call it a paradox. How do you kill, when you are truly sorry that you do? In the long run, you will go mad with grief and regret. Detaching your feelings from it, now that makes things less complicated, though... well, I admit that kind of makes you sort of mad as well. So I guess in the end, it's just about what kind of insanity you prefer."

Did I have a point there somewhere?
    He thinks to himself. Maybe I can remember it tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #171

Natalia winces at Rhenner's tone, but he does have a point. She works her mouth for a while, trying to respond as best she can. Her words are slow and halting, even more staggered than usual.

"Difference between...regret, undoing. A little. Won't take back fighting, won't take back all guards I killed. Not with shredder, prisoners, and...surrender untaken. But...regret I had to fight...kill. Wish never needed to." she shakes her head. "Wh not hold...doing, wish I didn't...have to do at once, in opposite hands?" Natalia works her mouth again. "I afraid...I dropping one." she holds out her hands, hoping that made sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    almost there so I'm going soon.

22. - Top - End - #172

"Mithril..." Natalia shifts closer to Mithril, opening her arms slightly as she silently requests a hug. She's not sure whether it's for herself or Mithril more. Or how much it matters here.
    Mithril didn't return the hug, she wasn't in the mood for contact. "I think we all need some sleep."

23. - Top - End - #173

Natalia watches as Mithril turns away and goes to sleep. Slowly, she lowers her arms and sort of holds herself lightly. She needs the contact right now, and it hurts that Mithril rejected her again, hurts like a sliver of ice in her chest.

EDIT: Natalia looks up at shiny and Rhenner. "Shiny...Rhenner...I'm sorry."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2014-08-01 at 10:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny scratches the back of his head uncomfortably when Natalia apologizes to him. "It's all right, Natalia," he says convincingly, before curling up to sleep.

"Thanks for your help," says Orgun, "and for the place to rest." The orc hadn't spoken much during their escape. "I don't know where you're going, but I'll be heading back to the Upperdark after we get some rest. You can join." He looks down at the potions they'd stolen from the Shredder and shudders. "I may able to help you identify some of those..." he says hesitantly, as though unsure he wants to spend more time looking.

Rhenner and Orgun work through the collection of poisons together- some of them Orgun recognizes from when Nixar had used them on him or others (one in particular he shrinks from, which he informs Rhenner is a poison that saps the victim's sanity), while others Rhenner is able to make guesses at based on the smell and his extensive knowledge of healing.

Spoiler
    Show

Inventory OOC.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

25. - Top - End - #175

Griffon

Natalia watches as Mithril turns away and goes to sleep. Slowly, she lowers her arms and sort of holds herself lightly. She needs the contact right now, and it hurts that Mithril rejected her again, hurts like a sliver of ice in her chest.

EDIT: Natalia looks up at shiny and Rhenner. "Shiny...Rhenner...I'm sorry."
    Rhenner sighs. "Natalia... I'm not angry with you. I'm..." He pauses.

Yes, what am I? Disappointed? No, not really. Or maybe a little, but that is not important. It's more that..

"I'm worried."

Spoiler: Admiral only
    Show
    Sorry to almost parrot you there, but you kind of hit the nail on the head with that one.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-08-03 at 04:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

[QUOTE=Admiral;17872434]Shiny scratches the back of his head uncomfortably when Natalia apologizes to him. "It's all right, Natalia," he says convincingly, before curling up to sleep.

"Thanks for your help," says Orgun, "and for the place to rest." The orc hadn't spoken much during their escape. "I don't know where you're going, but I'll be heading back to the Upperdark after we get some rest. You can join." He looks down at the potions they'd stolen from the Shredder and shudders. "I may able to help you identify some of those..." he says hesitantly, as though unsure he wants to spend more time looking.

Rhenner and Orgun work through the collection of poisons together- some of them Orgun recognizes from when Nixar had used them on him or others (one in particular he shrinks from, which he informs Rhenner is a poison that saps the victim's sanity), while others Rhenner is able to make guesses at based on the smell and his extensive knowledge of healing.

[SPOILER]
    Inventory OOC.

"...Thanks," Natalia says, both believing him and wishing she did. Orgun's words calm her a bit more;they remind her that they did get him out alive, and she smiles and says, "We...headed out. Know...Tol'Garun well?"

She can't look at the poisons and potions as Rhenner and Orgun sort them out, and instead rolls over and tries to sleep while listening.

Rhenner sighs. "Natalia... I'm not angry with you. I'm..." He pauses.

Yes, what am I? Disappointed? No, not really. Or maybe a little, but that is not important. It's more that..

"I'm worried."

Spoiler: Admiral only
    Show
    Sorry to almost parrot you there, but you kind of hit the nail on the head with that one.
    The rogue turns around to look at Rhenner. "What...you mean?" There's a pause, and then she looks down too. "...Me too."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gotta get dressed and head out; see you all later!

27. - Top - End - #177

Griffon

The rogue turns around to look at Rhenner. "What...you mean?" There's a pause, and then she looks down too. "...Me too."
    The half-elf doesn't look back, he's not sure how to phrase what he wants to say. "The thing is, when you come across evil like that.. Well, it makes you angry", he says flatly, then turns to Stephan, "You asked earlier if I wouldn't like to have revenge for something like that Shredder. The truth is that of course I would, but in that desire lies a greater danger." Now the cleric looks back at Natalia. "I'm tired, and I'd honestly rather sleep than continue this trail, but considering where we're going tomorrow.." He rubs his forehead. "Natalia, you remember what Ildan told us about the crevice?"
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-08-03 at 10:02 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

smile Re: IC VIII Lost in the Flood

The half-elf doesn't look back, he's not sure how to phrase what he wants to say. "The thing is, when you come across evil like that.. Well, it makes you angry", he says flatly, then turns to Stephan, "You asked earlier if I wouldn't like to have revenge for something like that Shredder. The truth is that of course I would, but in that desire lies a greater danger." Now the cleric looks back at Natalia. "I'm tired, and I'd honestly rather sleep than continue this trail, but considering where we're going tomorrow.." He rubs his forehead. "Natalia, you remember what Ildan told us about the crevice?"
    Natalia frowns--that wasn't as helpful as she would have liked. And yet that's the whole issue. "He right. See that, but can't believe people would do. And revenge...I wanted in rage. But they deserve, and don't deserve, because..." she fumbles with the words for a while, twisting her hands in frustration before saying, "Wolves and dogs. Need better, we better. Kurt..." she breaks off, holding her fist to her mouth as she sucks in a breath.

Rhenner's question about Ildan breaks her off her thoughts. She nods and says, "Yes, and Zik notes too," before telling him all she remembers from what Ildan told her. Still, her thoughts can't stay away for long and so she asks Rhenner in a low voice, "Rhenner, your shadows chase too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    which is probably more than I remember.

I'm headed back now, so I'll be on and off depending on phone service and stuff. How's everyone?

And Natalia suspects something's up with Rhenner.

29. - Top - End - #179

Griffon

Default Re: IC VIII Lost in the Flood"

Natalia frowns--that wasn't as helpful as she would have liked. And yet that's the whole issue. "He right. See that, but can't believe people would do. And revenge...I wanted in rage. But they deserve, and don't deserve, because..." she fumbles with the words for a while, twisting her hands in frustration before saying, "Wolves and dogs. Need better, we better. Kurt..." she breaks off, holding her fist to her mouth as she sucks in a breath.

Rhenner's question about Ildan breaks her off her thoughts. She nods and says, "Yes, and Zik notes too," before telling him all she remembers from what Ildan told her. Still, her thoughts can't stay away for long and so she asks Rhenner in a low voice, "Rhenner, your shadows chase too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    which is probably more than I remember.

I'm headed back now, so I'll be on and off depending on phone service and stuff. How's everyone?

And Natalia suspects something's up with Rhenner.
    Rhenner is again quiet for a while, staring at nothing in particular. How can he explain what he means, what he really is afraid of.

"So you remember that their high temple is in there. And you remember what I read from the spiderbook?", the cleric looks up, staring straight at the rogue, "Natalia, do you think they were being metaphorical in that one? I can tell you I am not so optimistic. I fear that in that place we will come by many other things that will incite rage, will they make you lash out in anger again?" He leans back and studies the ceiling again, "What we see, what we do, shape who we are. I worry if we will make it out of here alive, but I also worry who will we be if we do."

30. - Top - End - #180

"Tired if you keep talking. But Rhenner, Natalia, we signed up for this. If we die then we die trying to understand what is happening to our world. If we change, we prevent others from having too. Anyway, can you not say that this whole thing is just a little fun?"