New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Mmm, yummy souls...

Let's just say I have a thinaun scythe. I CdG the BBEG. I now have his soul!

But, what can I do with it?

What are souls good for?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mmm, yummy souls...

Not a lot, really. The rules for usage of souls are pretty thin. You can find some in the Book of Vile Darkness.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Trade it for a golden fiddle?

Rules-wise, the things you can do with souls are disappointingly unimpressive. You might be better off trying to do some improvised/RP stuff with it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

My personal favorite is the fall from grace, you did steal a guy's soul right? Start the Evil campaign and take over the world

But if that's not your cup of tea its pretty much been said. You might be able to sell it to a monster (Nighthags use them for spell components) for a decent price or you can use it to offset xp costs for making magic items (1 soul = 10xp*). Doing this is incredibly evil though and will destroy the soul in the process as well as forever marking the magic item as "evil" on a detect evil or the like.

So you can hold on to the guy's soul forever or become evil and use it for personal gain.

*Cited from BoVD

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cenric View Post
    My personal favorite is the fall from grace, you did steal a guy's soul right? Start the Evil campaign and take over the world

But if that's not your cup of tea its pretty much been said. You might be able to sell it to a monster (Nighthags use them for spell components) for a decent price or you can use it to offset xp costs for making magic items (1 soul = 10xp*). Doing this is incredibly evil though and will destroy the soul in the process as well as forever marking the magic item as "evil" on a detect evil or the like.

So you can hold on to the guy's soul forever or become evil and use it for personal gain.

*Cited from BoVD
    then again, since you are only using the souls of evil to power the item not the souls of good..... would that make it a good item that destroys evil? for example, if you collect the souls of very evil things and use them to make a sword of evil bane.... would your DM allow it instead to become a good item?

i personally would

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lol, the wonderful irony! Forcibly recruiting the minions of Evil to vanquish Evil!

Speaking of tasty souls... I just stumbled onto Soul Eater. I'm loving it up to lvl 9.

It'd be fun to find a way for a Soul Eater to snack on souls captured through thinaun items. All kinds of fluff there.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

the big issue with destroying a soul according to book of vile darkness is that the destruction of a soul its self is evil
    I Am A Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength 10
    Dexterity 12
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 16
    Wisdom 15
    Charisma 10

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good with capital G doesn't care what is the end result - if you use evil ways, it's evil. destroying an eternal soul is one of the worst things you can ever do, no matter why.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by galan View Post
    Good with capital G doesn't care what is the end result - if you use evil ways, it's evil. destroying an eternal soul is one of the worst things you can ever do, no matter why.
    i know.... its a shame.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

i think it makes sense. i would bring an example from the jewish bible but i don't think the mods would like me for that

the end can't always justifie the means. sometime, the means are just that bad.