New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Actions during combat

So I have recently started playing a new game of Pathfinder and while I have played a handful of full games, there are 3 brand new players playing and they are full of questions.

I bring to you one that stumped me in our last game, during combat, is there anything that lets you break up your movement between actions? I understand that you get two standard actions or a full round action but is there a way that you can move part of your "speed" do an a standard action, and then finish your move or is there a feat that lets you move attack move in the same round?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Actions during combat

First, you don't get 2 standard actions. You get a standard action and a move action.

The feat you're looking for is Spring Attack; it's in the Core Rulebook.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Is Spring Attack the only way in Pathfinder you can do this?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

It's not what you're asking for, but you can also 5 foot step during the middle of a full attack. For instance, if you have 3 attacks, you can take two of them, 5 foot step, and then take the 3rd.

There's also pounce, which lets you make a full attack at the end of a charge. But most characters don't have the ability to pounce.

Edit: There's also flyby attack, which is more niche than spring attack.
    Last edited by jaydubs; 2014-07-13 at 07:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There's also pounce, which lets you make a full attack at the end of a charge. But most characters don't have the ability to pounce.
    Is the Barbarian Totem for the Pounce ability in Pathfinder or was that only in 3.5?

Our Rogue is the character we need a mobility feature for. He won't listen to anyone in the party and just dives into combat before anyone can do anything else. We started at lvl 1 and at 15 point buy, he has no problem with going first. He is way to squishy to be in the middle of combat alone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You can certainly break up your attacks with a movement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Attack
    The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.
    However, generally speaking, you can only take a single move action, whatever it may be.

There are exceptions. The Spring Attack feat is one. The Hustle power is another. The Dimensional Dervish feat is a fun choice if you can satisfy its prerequisites. But the general rule, as cited in the Spring Attack feat description, is that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Normal
    You cannot move before and after an attack.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bebelmakor View Post
    Is the Barbarian Totem for the Pounce ability in Pathfinder or was that only in 3.5?

Our Rogue is the character we need a mobility feature for. He won't listen to anyone in the party and just dives into combat before anyone can do anything else. We started at lvl 1 and at 15 point buy, he has no problem with going first. He is way to squishy to be in the middle of combat alone.
    That's only in 3.5, but porting it over is simplicity itself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gara View Post
    Actually, PF was very careful to narrowly limit access to Pounce and Pounce-like abilities. Even so, Pounce is defined by the ability to make a full attack on a charge, not the ability to withdraw after making the attack; it doesn't help here.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I've already tried to get the DM to port stuff over from 3.5 and he emphatically refuses. He wants to use the Paizo sources only. no 3.5 and nothing 3rd party.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bebelmakor View Post
    I've already tried to get the DM to port stuff over from 3.5 and he emphatically refuses. He wants to use the Paizo sources only. no 3.5 and nothing 3rd party.
    I won't question the broken mind that insists on only using the hilariously incompetent writers at Paizo perfectly legit Paizo writers. But, the only other pounce ability I know of off hand is a Barbarian rage power you can get at level 10.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I won't question the broken mind that insists on only using the hilariously incompetent writers at Paizo perfectly legit Paizo writers. But, the only other pounce ability I know of off hand is a Barbarian rage power you can get at level 10.
    Catfolk can also take Claw Pounce. But again, that's a full attack after a charge. A charge is a full-round action, so that won't let you move after attacking - which is the goal of the OP.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Something about not all the 3.5 stuff carries over well and not wanting to confuse to new players with all that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

There's various items and dips that allow that kind of movement. The Quickrunner's Shirt, 1/day, lets you move with a swift action.

The oracle's Battle mystery has Surprising Charge, which lets you move as a swift action.

Teleportion arcane school has Shift as a swift action.

There's probably others I don't have off the top of my head.

Oh, fighting from horseback (or on any mount really) can allow you to move, attack, and move again. Ride By Attack can enhance this mobility.