New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Turning Undead PCs?

Just curious really. Have you as DM or one of your DMs actively sent an opponent at you who was trying to turn undead to eradicate an Undead PC? I've always wondered, given the fact that the Undead type seems to have a fair amount of support for player characters, as undeath is usually an inherited feature on most things in the game. Does anyone have stories of turning undead PCs, or being turned as an Undead PC? I've never heard a single thing on the matter, so I assume that it's a gentleman's agreement that nobody gets turned because it's just poor showing to throw a high-level cleric who rolls well on their turning check to absolutely ruin a single character concept.
    No longer will you have to worry about what color shoes you have on during a full moon to get an additional +1 to your attack roll.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Riverenco | Human Arcane Archer 3 | Princes of the Apocalypse
    Mud | Goblin Ancestral Guardian 3 | ???

CURRENTLY DMING:

None :(

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Turning Undead PCs?

if you want to be undead and have all the immunities and powers you get the downside.

otherwise we would all take con 1 and the DM would say "awww don't get the downside, i will let you off and give you no penalties for it".

as an evil undead you should see a cleric coming and just run forest run away as fast as your rotten legs will carry you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Turning Undead PCs?

I have personally had a cleric try to rebuke one of my PC's when I was DMing, but not out of any animosity for the PC. I was running a premade and one of the enemies was a low level cleric, and one of his best courses of action was to turn, so I had him try. He failed miserably, but I would have had no qualms with the outcome if he succeeded. Undead gives plenty of immunities, and this specific PC was also Incorporeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.