New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Countdown to Belkar's Death Scene

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    How about doing an actual calendar? Google Calendar/MS Exchange style? Each day can contain the number of the strip most relevant to it listed, with 710-850 or whatever for those days when a lot happened. Start from December 31 and work backwards. We already know OOTS-world has the ordinary seven days of the week, and 12 months because of the 12 gods. So it shouldn't be that hard. It would also enable others to write notes and suggestions. It wouldn't fit perfectly, but it would certainly be easier to visualize!
    If anyone can get this to work, this strikes me as a good suggestion. I think it would like nice laid out like that.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    If anyone can get this to work, this strikes me as a good suggestion. I think it would like nice laid out like that.
    Won't be me. I'm too lazy.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

You guys shut up Belkar's never gonna die
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

I guess I'm just rather paranoid about "Belkar will die soon!" predictions, because people have been proclaiming that Belkar will obviously die in the next three strips pretty much since the Oracle first predicted his death...early in WaXP.
    When Belkar dies, I'm guessing it will either be in a climactic point (possibly in the middle) in the final book or the end of this book.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    When Belkar dies, I'm guessing it will either be in a climactic point...
    I'm sure it will be climactic for Belkar...
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

6. - Top - End - #36

Look, Belkar has clearly been shaping up for a redemption and consequent heroic sacrifice.
    I wish I didn't agree with you - I think a nihilistic death would be hilarious. But book readers will probably prefer a straighter story, and I think Mr. Burlew gives them first crack at the storyline.
    It won't happen until the end of the story.
    With so many sides in play, there may be two major climaxes, say one Xykon-centric, one IFCC-centric, and Belkar could die at the first. Still a long way off though, even if not the *end* end.
    We can stop obsessing over it now.
    Riiiiiight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggybinder View Post
    Try making a choice on a brisk walk or jog a good empty stomach early the actual planet morning if possible. Go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up a sauna suit shed more calories, and a pedometer observe how many calories you burn once a day.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

I was just thinking, and I'm pretty sure "pyramid day" is the longest OOTS day to date. According to your calculations, it's 109 strips long

War day is the only one I would think could come close, and it was 418-484, 66 strips

The first dungeon was 120 strips, but they slept a few times in there, so it still isn't the longest "day"

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I was just thinking, and I'm pretty sure "pyramid day" is the longest OOTS day to date. According to your calculations, it's 109 strips long
    Yes, Pyramid day was very, very, very long.

No I am not going to go through the entire archive to figure out if any come close to it...
    Last edited by evileeyore; 2014-08-23 at 02:01 AM.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    Yes, Pyramid day was very, very, very long.

No I am not going to go through the entire archive to figure out if any come close to it...
    It definitely makes our current longest day (947-960) seem short in comparison.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Intriguing thought ...

Belkar dies...

... and finds himself in a neutral afterlife. No eternal rampage through the depths of the Abyss, etc.

Borrrrinnng!!!!

He is never seen again in the comic. The implication is that his alignment has shifted enough to put him in a neutral afterlife and that this, to him, is the equivalent of being in hell.

Really puts it in perspective, doesn't it? 10% of the entire comic was spend on one day.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2014-08-23 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #41

Uh, you haven't noticed the fact that Belkar has started caring for others? His cat, his new dinosaur, and he felt bad when Enor and Gannji were forced to fight in the arena. He's started to have empathy - to feel what others feel. This isn't what narcissistic Chaotic Evil murderers do. It's clearly setting Belkar up for a redemption.

Because it's the most likely outcome. Just imagine how much more awesome it will make Belkar's death scene. Finally, he realizes what it means to do for others, and sacrifices himself just when things are going badly for OOTS.

Moreover, if Belkar dies then where will OOTS get its internal conflict from? Who will deliver all the best jokes and insults? Story aside, Belkar has an important role to fill and that's why he won't die until the end.
    or Rich could subvert the trope and kill Belkar before he gets his chance at redemption; Belkar could have his chance and back out of it, lots of things could happen. Rich is very genre savvy and like to subvert expectations - look at what he did with Tarquin.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

12. - Top - End - #42

Normally I don't mind topic drift... but there are threads already arguing discussing about what may or may not happen should Belkar die or not die.

This one is just acting to count it down.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

13. - Top - End - #43

Updated OP with this:

Day 24 -Strip 963 The full moon is seen behind the Mechane as she sails. An indeterminate number of days occurred, I only counting one at this time.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Updated OP with this:

Day 24 -Strip 963 The full moon is seen behind the Mechane as she sails. An indeterminate number of days occurred, I only counting one at this time.
    I saw this as all occurring in the space of one day, starting with 946 and finally coming to a conclusion in this strip. Looking at it this way, the next strip will show us the beginning of Day 24.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I saw this as all occurring in the space of one day, starting with 946 and finally coming to a conclusion in this strip. Looking at it this way, the next strip will show us the beginning of Day 24.
    Those are my thoughts.

I just went ahead and incremented by one anyway, since we're probably going to jump to Team Evil for the next segment.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Those are my thoughts.

I just went ahead and incremented by one anyway, since we're probably going to jump to Team Evil for the next segment.
    Okay, I misinterpreted your statement. Yeah, that makes sense.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Well, if the "when" is coming up so soon, then the "how" is starting to become clear.
    In about two weeks, Belkar and not-Durkon are finally gonna slug it out, leading to both of their deaths, and leaving the Order with no cleric and no pint-sized shredding machine, and almost certainly right when they need them both the most.
    Last edited by Kislath; 2014-09-27 at 09:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Last line of the OP still says "almost three weeks to live". Shouldn't it say "about three and a half weeks"? 49-24 = 25 days, which is three weeks and four days.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Well, if the "when" is coming up so soon, then the "how" is starting to become clear.
    In about two weeks, Belkar and not-Durkon are finally gonna slug it out, leading to both of their deaths, and leaving the Order with no cleric and no pint-sized shredding machine, and almost certainly right when they need them both the most.
    I very much doubt that Belkar will be able to kill the High Priest of Hel. Even if the Order helps Belkar, chances are good he can escape.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley1970 View Post
    Last line of the OP still says "almost three weeks to live". Shouldn't it say "about three and a half weeks"? 49-24 = 25 days, which is three weeks and four days.
    Sure if I were capable of simple math...

Err, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about, it already says that.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Sure if I were capable of simple math...

Err, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about, it already says that.
    I have a harder time with simple math than with complex math. Thank the twelve gods for professors who believe in the philosophy, "full credit for doing everything right, minus one point for math error."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Thanks for the math guys. I realize it's been an arduous process diving into the archives to dig up every temporal reference and, even if you guys are off here or there, it should be acknowledged that you have performed marvelously with little grains of information gleaned from a field of straw. Well done.

To those who lament the possibility that we'll see the last of Belkar, remember that Roy was dead and we kept seeing him in the comic. In fact, he wouldn't shut up. So being dead is not necessarily a handicap in OotS.

23. - Top - End - #53

War day is the only one I would think could come close, and it was 418-484, 66 strips...
    I really thought "V Day" would be close, but it turned out to be only 48 updates long (623-671)

On topic: Day 24 (...and a half) is just about the halfway point to day 49.

2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Great thread! Interesting to note that what will be the longest book in the series took up less than half of Belkar's remaining time.

And speaking of...

Although, I guess there's not much else to talk about since the increased workload of the new art style is causing us to only get 3 comics per month
    I wouldn't chalk that up to the art style. On September 6, Rich tweeted that getting the next book (Blood Runs in the Family) ready for the holiday season is a priority, suggesting that currently he may be dividing his time between new comics and "bonus" materials for that book . https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...32989910278145
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2014-09-28 at 08:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Updated OP with this:

I have no idea what this means, the OP clearly has a different line for Day 24...

And here we prove my prognistigatory abilities are whack. Clearly we are sticking with the Order at least until the Godsmoot is sorted out...

Also, edited Op to account for the singular days passage of time.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

26. - Top - End - #56
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod: Thread closed due to necromancy.