New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Duskblade help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Duskblade help

I'm building a duskblade in a campaign and we're planning on going all the way to lvl 20 and beyond. As such, our DM has allowed for level adjusted races and templates and buyoff.

Currently, I'm a Spellwarped Human and am a lvl 7 duskblade. (ECL 10)
    I'm set up to take the first (and quite frankly only needed) level of the Sandshaper PrC on my next level up. My question to all of you is, where do I go from here? I know Duskblade is a really good class by itself, but I don't want to take it all the way to 20. (at least not before epic levels.) And as for feat selection, beyond getting Arcane Strike at HD 9, I'm stumped for good feat selections.

Here's a brief rundown of my guy so you know what you're looking at:

Yangash, The Bloody
    NE Spellwarped (+3 lvl adj) Human - Duskblade 7 (ECL 10)

Stats - 36 point buy:
    STR: 20 (16 bought + 4 spellwarped)
    DEX: 14 (12 bought + 2 spellwarped)
    CON: 18 (14 bought + 4 spellwarped)
    INT: 20 (16 bought + 4 spellwarped)
    WIS: 15 (14 bought + 1 at 4th lvl)
    CHA: 8 (none bought)

My feat selection with two flaws is as follows:
    Flaw: Shakey (-2 to ranged attacks - I'm an up close and personal kind of guy.)
    Flaw: Inattentive (-4 to Listen and Spot checks - who needs those when you have the druid to do that?)
    Bonus: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
    Bonus: Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)
    1st: Power Attack
    Human: Arcane Disciple (Suffering Domain)
    3rd: Knowledge Devotion (Local)
    6th: Touchstone
    9th: Arcane Strike
    12th: ???
    15th: ???
    18th: ???
    21st: ???
    and beyond

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Duskblade help

My personal recommendation for flavor is get three levels of cleric and then got mystic theurge I believe it is so you can become a Red Mage essentially would go well with your The Bloody theme. Dress in all red cast both types of magic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Knowledge Devotion applies to all Knowledge, not just one. You get one bonus Knowledge as a permanent class skill, but as long as you're trained (1 rank) you can use Know Dev to get the bonuses against that creature. Yes, it is that good.

Get Versatile Spellcaster, and, if your DM allow, Extra Spell: Wraith Strike. Now you can hit touch AC, which will make those huge enemies a walk in the park because you'll be able to Power Attack to the Max.

In the same vein as Wraithstrike, getting Haste to qualify for Swiftblade is freaking awesome. A little more troublesome, but probably more powerful is getting Shivering Touch, especially if you can somehow Maximize/Empower it without making it a Full-round action (so that you can cast with Quickcast and/or Arcane Channeling) and without raising the Spell level by too much.

Dip Lion Totem Barbarian at lv14 so you can use a full attack on your charge (comboes well with Full Attack Chanelling), then go back to DB until you get Quickcast 3/day, then getting dips is caster classes is good, even with the lost of 1 or 2 BAB. Get Practised Spellcaster to make up for any lost caster levels.

Also: See here for additional tips
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-07-14 at 01:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Knowledge Devotion applies to all Knowledge, not just one. You get one bonus Knowledge as a permanent class skill, but as long as you're trained (1 rank) you can use Know Dev to get the bonuses against that creature. Yes, it is that good.

Get Versatile Spellcaster, and, if your DM allow, Extra Spell: Wraith Strike. Now you can hit touch AC, which will make those huge enemies a walk in the park because you'll be able to Power Attack to the Max.

In the same vein as Wraithstrike, getting Haste to qualify for Swiftblade is freaking awesome. A little more troublesome, but probably more powerful is getting Shivering Touch, especially if you can somehow Maximize/Empower it without making it a Full-round action (so that you can cast with Quickcast and/or Arcane Channeling) and without raising the Spell level by too much.

Dip Lion Totem Barbarian at lv14 so you can use a full attack on your charge (comboes well with Full Attack Chanelling), then go back to DB until you get Quickcast 3/day, then getting dips is caster classes is good, even with the lost of 1 or 2 BAB. Get Practised Spellcaster to make up for any lost caster levels.

Also: See here for additional tips
    As much fun as it would be to be a swiftblade, I don't really want to sacrifice two feat slots for Dodge and mobility. Especially when I'm running around in Mithril full plate armor, but thats something i'll have to look into for other games in the future for certain.

As for know devotion, yeah i knew that bit. The parenthetical "Local" was just to site which knowledge skill would perpetually be a class skill. Humanoids are just too common not to kill.

The wraithstrike bit however, now THAT is something I can get behind! I just... don't know where i can fit it in right now....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Dipping Dragonslayer gets you +1 BAB and +1 CL, as well as immunity to fear and a little bonus damage to dragons. requires dodge and ironwill, as well as a little bit of tumble.

Abjurant Champion is a good go to for gishes, requires combat casting, gives +1 BAB and +1 CL per level, and some bonuses to your abjuration spells (for you, namely shield).

War Mage (from DragonLance: Age of Mortals), requires Eschew Materials, and maybe something else, I can't remember and can't bring it up at work right now, gives, I think, +1 CL per level with slow BAB progression, but whenever you cast spells, it buffs you and your allies. 3.0 material, but an overlooked gem, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)