New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Theme Week OOC: Snappy Thread Title Pending.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    we could always patrol the outside of the town, and see if there's anything useful to take from this world
    If you want to do that, my character will likely come as well. He doesn't have much else to do and he may find something to hunt out there.

--EDIT--

I don't really want to double post. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    Dancing orbs of light flitted their way across the open field, taking little notice of the humanoid that stood amongst them. The sky darkened to a rich bronze fading to a deep navy blue, though only moments ago, it was high noon. All around, neither forest nor village was to be seen, merely fallow fields emptied of grain, and will-o'-wisps that glided through the grass.
    Ooh, that was highly unexpected. I had plans for where my character was but will o' the wisps are cool. Thank you, by the by.
    Did you have an idea you really wanted to follow through on this particular train of thought or can I just use it with whatever I come up with next time I get to post?

This post also gave me a bit of an idea. I was meaning that my character was walking through the undeveloped land within Ah-Vatar that was meantioned earlier, but maybe some of Ah-Vatar is in highly stable pockets accessible by various portals which my character has wandered through? It also means when there's not much outside the walls, there is more space for the town to sustain itself.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-07-26 at 10:40 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

we could always patrol the outside of the town, and see if there's anything useful to take from this world
    Hm, maybe...

(Although, posting time's gonna be limited for me over the next week.)
    Last edited by CapedLuigiYoshi; 2014-07-27 at 01:43 AM.
    Pseudo-Luigi of the Solt Lorkyurg Fanclub.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo View Post
    So Vaarsuvius is an Epic Whatsit now. "Whatsit". I think I like that term.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Ooh, that was highly unexpected. I had plans for where my character was but will o' the wisps are cool. Thank you, by the by.
    Did you have an idea you really wanted to follow through on this particular train of thought or can I just use it with whatever I come up with next time I get to post?

This post also gave me a bit of an idea. I was meaning that my character was walking through the undeveloped land within Ah-Vatar that was meantioned earlier, but maybe some of Ah-Vatar is in highly stable pockets accessible by various portals which my character has wandered through? It also means when there's not much outside the walls, there is more space for the town to sustain itself.
    Whoops. Sorry, I didn't know you had plans for your character, so I guess I kinda hijacked your storyline. My intention with the will'o'wisp field was that you had been pixie-led by the forest fey, and was going to illustrate their first line of attack on the village, but if you have plans yourself, I'd be glad to end the illusion quickly. Do you mind a bit of combat?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops. Sorry, I didn't know you had plans for your character, so I guess I kinda hijacked your storyline. My intention with the will'o'wisp field was that you had been pixie-led by the forest fey, and was going to illustrate their first line of attack on the village, but if you have plans yourself, I'd be glad to end the illusion quickly. Do you mind a bit of combat?
    For reasons, my character is currently very not useful in combat and I've thus far avoided all combat in the thread for the same reasons.
    Umm, so my character absolutely has to be outside the village? >.>

I was writing that post/idea line while waiting to see if Chaotic Stupid wanted to go adventuring outside, ironically. You could still do a forest fey attack then if he still wants to do that.
    Also, I request you ask before hijacking my character for a thing next time please.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-07-27 at 11:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I was writing that post/idea line while waiting to see if Chaotic Stupid wanted to go adventuring outside, ironically. You could still do a forest fey attack then if he still wants to do that.
    i've been letting everyone say what they're doing before i start going off gallivanting

also, Leon may have noticed you wandering off, and saw you get lured by the forest fey. so he could fight for you, if you'd like
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

i've been letting everyone say what they're doing before i start going off gallivanting

also, Leon may have noticed you wandering off, and saw you get lured by the forest fey. so he could fight for you, if you'd like
    My character's going to end up seeming very pathetic for the moment if it ends up being canon that he was lured outside the town in this manner and has to be saved.

If you and Oneris prefer it to be that way though, I'll go along with it, but I'd prefer not to.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-07-28 at 12:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My character's going to end up seeming very pathetic for the moment if it ends up being canon that he was lured outside the town in this manner and has to be saved.

If you and Oneris prefer it to be that way though, I'll go along with it, but I'd prefer not to.
    nah, i'm fine doing whatever you want

i was thinking of either exploring the woods, or going around the town so we could get a better idea of the buildings in town, and everything

extended signature

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

nah, i'm fine doing whatever you want

i was thinking of either exploring the woods, or going around the town so we could get a better idea of the buildings in town, and everything
    Okay, well, just so everyone's happy I'll wait to do anything for a reply from Oneris.

I like both ideas a lot, but am leaning toward exploring outside the town.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-07-28 at 01:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

For reasons, my character is currently very not useful in combat and I've thus far avoided all combat in the thread for the same reasons.
    Umm, so my character absolutely has to be outside the village? >.>

Also, I request you ask before hijacking my character for a thing next time please.
    Yeah, again, I'm sorry. Guess I got a bit carried away with being able to 'GM' for the others that I forgot it wasn't for the the entire IC-week. My plans were that you were trapped in some kind of illusion, and the pixies were going to try and drop you off a building, but you're perfectly welcome to just break out of it now in any way you'd like and get back to your story.

In light of this incident, should I begin asking permission here in OOC before I add anything new to the world?
    Spoiler: Planned Plot Stuff, Highlight to See
    Show
    My current plans were for the Thin Man to lead Felina and Kendall to the seat of the Winter Court, where they would have to win a riddle contest/battle the guards/trick their way into the castle. Whether or not they would then find Maethel held inside has not yet been decided. (However, the title Devil Queen Maetheline seems very tempting >:D)
    A group of Summer Fey refugees would enter the village and (hopefully) they'll be allowed to stay.
    Meanwhile, the plants would grow even larger and almost all the iron and steel would begin crumbling, causing structural damage in the village. A group of Winter Fey would come in and help tear down the plants, but then attack the Refugees, dispensing valuable plot points along the way.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, again, I'm sorry. Guess I got a bit carried away with being able to 'GM' for the others that I forgot it wasn't for the the entire IC-week. My plans were that you were trapped in some kind of illusion, and the pixies were going to try and drop you off a building, but you're perfectly welcome to just break out of it now in any way you'd like and get back to your story.

In light of this incident, should I begin asking permission here in OOC before I add anything new to the world?
    I just read my post and noted it was lacking 'It's okay'. Oops, my bad.
    Incident. I didn't mean to cause one.

Not really, unless you think it might impact other players too much or you want outside input.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    My current plans were for the Thin Man to lead Felina and Kendall to the seat of the Winter Court, where they would have to win a riddle contest/battle the guards/trick their way into the castle. Whether or not they would then find Maethel held inside has not yet been decided. (However, the title Devil Queen Maetheline seems very tempting >:D)
    A group of Summer Fey refugees would enter the village and (hopefully) they'll be allowed to stay.
    Meanwhile, the plants would grow even larger and almost all the iron and steel would begin crumbling, causing structural damage in the village. A group of Winter Fey would come in and help tear down the plants, but then attack the Refugees, dispensing valuable plot points along the way.
    I like the sound of that.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #72

Show
    Sounds good to me. What about the others in the forest (I think there are currently 4 people at the crossroads, Felina, Immer, Kendall and Lycunadari)?
    Last edited by Lycunadari; 2014-07-28 at 12:28 PM.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Crossroads plan sounds good. I'm waiting on some of the other people there to post before continuing.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

14. - Top - End - #74

You guys are currently in the equivalent of a fairy marketplace. You could go around interacting with the populace if you want. If no one posts, we might move onto the castle soon. I just don't want to clog up my posts with descriptions of the walls, trees, bushes, carts, turnips, and pieces of junk.

My main issue is that with so much of my writing learned from books and whatnot, I'm kinda confused about how to add in flavor that isn't 'quest-based' or on GM initiative. Perhaps you guys could write in some of the 'flavor text' sometime?

15. - Top - End - #75

It seems I cannot be trusted with GMing after all. I knew it...

There's only a week on real time before the next elemental week begins, and barely a whole day in-game has passed. What are we going to do?

I'm not even gonna bother double spoilering what I had planned next, since overall, it won;t play out to much degree of completion.

Spoiler: Over Planning is my Middle Name
    Show
    The story was that the seasons of this world were controlled by the war between the Summer and Winter Court of Fey; when Winter Court held the oaken throne carved from a living tree atop the mound, winter covered the world, and vice versa with Summer. Fall and Spring occurred during transitions.
    The war became ritualized, and the courts wrote up an ancient pact that neither side would attack civilians during the war, and both would only keep the throne for a period no longer than 6 months. Additionally, whenever a Court claims the throne (usually due to superior numbers), all deceased fae of that court are promptly reborn as a soldier on the opposite side, to sway numbers until they are even again and the throne changes hands.

The conflict in which our village has been embroiled is that of the broken pact. Summer Court has held onto the throne for almost 7 months and counting, and show no willingness to give up their rule anytime soon. The Winter court delegates can get no audience with King Oberon and Queen Titania, and the oaken throne has been thoroughly walled off by a hedge of thorns. In retaliation the Winter Court, being made up of very vindictive unseelie, decides to break the pact in retaliation and hunt down Summer Court civilians to bolster their own armies.

The truth of the matter is that the powerful faerie magic from the battles over the centuries have given life to the oak tree which bore the coveted throne, and this tree spirit sought to prolong the summer forever by possessing Oberon and Titania through the crowns of flowers and branches they wore, and posessing the rest of the Seelie troops and bolstering them by turning them into plant-zombies. The story was written to end with the Themani(?) either fighting off the invading plant growth and barricading themselves off from the war beyond, or destroying the queen dryad and restoring peace, or upending the whole system by burning down the forest.

Various:
    *The Wild Hunt is Unseelie/Winter and thought the Themani were Seelie, and so attacked and kidnapped Maethel, because it turned out she was the only visibly seelie one fighting against them.
    *The Thin Man though Felina was Cait Sith, who's also known as the King of Cats.
    *The deterioration of iron and steel is natural to this world. The rapid plant growth was a result of dryad magic.
    *I was going to plant clues as to the nature of what was going on through comments made by npcs and investigation starting with the Unseelie fairy mound.
    *The plan was for the Thin Man and the Redcap executioners and the Seelie refugees to each give half of the story, then the Wild Hunt to chase the party members back to the village where the stories would combine.
    Obviously this never came to fruition.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

You're fine, Oneris. Don't worry. In fact, I think you've been doing good things.
    I'm not sure, but I noticed a few notes OOC that people were busy, so maybe there are quite a few busy people.

My character didn't go with the party but instead, perhaps I can help by playing random NPCs and throwing atmosphere in there if the party continues the adventure. I admit to being rather bad at writing, however. I also don't think it's too late to start to finish it if people so wish and I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for storylines or scenes to carry across the weeks a little bit if there's not time.

As for your plotline
    Spoiler: PlotSpoilers opinion. Also, a headcanon
    Show
    The plot looks fun and has plenty of breathing room for people to do whatever and go crazy.
    Also, my theory for the magic was also that it was the way the land was, but not that it was in anyway logical or easily explained. I was prepared for more strange stuff to occur. It is, after all, Fey Week!

EDIT - Miswording
    NOTE - Very tired. Much miswording.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-08-03 at 07:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems I cannot be trusted with GMing after all. I knew it...

There's only a week on real time before the next elemental week begins, and barely a whole day in-game has passed. What are we going to do?

I'm not even gonna bother double spoilering what I had planned next, since overall, it won;t play out to much degree of completion.

Spoiler: Over Planning is my Middle Name
    Show
    The story was that the seasons of this world were controlled by the war between the Summer and Winter Court of Fey; when Winter Court held the oaken throne carved from a living tree atop the mound, winter covered the world, and vice versa with Summer. Fall and Spring occurred during transitions.
    The war became ritualized, and the courts wrote up an ancient pact that neither side would attack civilians during the war, and both would only keep the throne for a period no longer than 6 months. Additionally, whenever a Court claims the throne (usually due to superior numbers), all deceased fae of that court are promptly reborn as a soldier on the opposite side, to sway numbers until they are even again and the throne changes hands.

The conflict in which our village has been embroiled is that of the broken pact. Summer Court has held onto the throne for almost 7 months and counting, and show no willingness to give up their rule anytime soon. The Winter court delegates can get no audience with King Oberon and Queen Titania, and the oaken throne has been thoroughly walled off by a hedge of thorns. In retaliation the Winter Court, being made up of very vindictive unseelie, decides to break the pact in retaliation and hunt down Summer Court civilians to bolster their own armies.

The truth of the matter is that the powerful faerie magic from the battles over the centuries have given life to the oak tree which bore the coveted throne, and this tree spirit sought to prolong the summer forever by possessing Oberon and Titania through the crowns of flowers and branches they wore, and posessing the rest of the Seelie troops and bolstering them by turning them into plant-zombies. The story was written to end with the Themani(?) either fighting off the invading plant growth and barricading themselves off from the war beyond, or destroying the queen dryad and restoring peace, or upending the whole system by burning down the forest.

Various:
    *The Wild Hunt is Unseelie/Winter and thought the Themani were Seelie, and so attacked and kidnapped Maethel, because it turned out she was the only visibly seelie one fighting against them.
    *The Thin Man though Felina was Cait Sith, who's also known as the King of Cats.
    *The deterioration of iron and steel is natural to this world. The rapid plant growth was a result of dryad magic.
    *I was going to plant clues as to the nature of what was going on through comments made by npcs and investigation starting with the Unseelie fairy mound.
    *The plan was for the Thin Man and the Redcap executioners and the Seelie refugees to each give half of the story, then the Wild Hunt to chase the party members back to the village where the stories would combine.
    Obviously this never came to fruition.
    I like your story. I just got busy with Camp NaNoWriMo, which is why I haven't been posting much, but it's over now. (*sigh of relief*)
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-08-03 at 08:04 AM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

We need to make this go a little bit faster...
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

19. - Top - End - #79

Yeah, not sure what I can do now, but I promise I'll get more actually involved one the new theme week rolls around. (Assuming I can choose an element in time, but I think I can manage.)
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Yeah, sorry I wasn't around, I had some major things happen in RL that consumed all my thoughts. I'll try to post in the IC-thread soon.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

21. - Top - End - #81

...So. The new theme week has begun, so... how do we proceed from here?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Well, a lot of us did break curfew, so there's that.

As for the world, either we could wipe the slate clean and start a new adventure, or just transmute everything already existing in Fey world into a random assortment of elementals. How do you characterize a world of elementals anyways?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well, a lot of us did break curfew, so there's that.

As for the world, either we could wipe the slate clean and start a new adventure, or just transmute everything already existing in Fey world into a random assortment of elementals. How do you characterize a world of elementals anyways?
    a constantly flowing world where elements rapidly change?

also, what should happen to those who break curfew?

extended signature

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

If there's a new adventure, there's the chance my character could join in.
    He's done almost nothing.

EDIT - I note I sound rather selfish. Just that there are pros and cons to either, but there were quite a few who didn't go save Mathael.

As for curfew, my character hasn't left the town at all so he's fine, right?

I believe the idea that Ah-Vatar was a small piece of plane travelling through the ever-changing Thema was most popular, yes? An idea could be that those outside may be so strongly linked to Ah-Vatar that they kinda get yanked along with it with rather undesirable effects.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-08-11 at 12:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

My headcanon was that anyone left outside would be in danger of getting trapped in rocks/the bottom of the sea/10,000 feet in the air since the only place of consistent composition was the town. Thank goodness we have our elemental abilities if that does happen.

Edit: What about the timeskip? Only about 18 hours have passed in game.
    Last edited by Oneris; 2014-08-11 at 12:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My headcanon was that anyone left outside would be in danger of getting trapped in rocks/the bottom of the sea/10,000 feet in the air since the only place of consistent composition was the town. Thank goodness we have our elemental abilities if that does happen.

Edit: What about the timeskip? Only about 18 hours have passed in game.
    we could have it that you're safe as long as you're only a certain distance from the town?

so the town never changes, the area about 1-5Km around it changes, but is still the same terrain, and the rest of the world is completely recreated from the core outward?

or something similar

extended signature

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

We could skip sometime and infer that everyone was saved and made it back for curfew.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    We could skip sometime and infer that everyone was saved and made it back for curfew.
    I think this would work the best.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    ...Yeah, this seems like the best option.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by CapedLuigiYoshi View Post
    ...Yeah, this seems like the best option.
    And ripe for noodle incidents.