1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Houserules: Tier 3, Simply

Below I present the houserules I made for PbP campaigns. The really important parts are in purple. The ones that are actually a ton of trouble and only fix minor things are in orange. Issues that do not change game balance, but are instead built to encourage playstyles, smooth tension, or simplify mechanics, are in green.

Yes, the most important part of these rules is banning most spellcasters. Sorry, wizards, I prefer a rulesheet to the system rewrite required to make you balanced.

I address a few small issues that I've had problems with, like rapid reload with slings. I doubt I addressed every small issues ever. Currently these rules are under 2000 words.

Intro
    Character Building: The power level weíre shooting for is tier 3/4. Infinite loops, action economy abuse, XP cost negation, time travel, and the like are right out. If you start to upset game balance, Iíll kick you into Jupiterís core. Generally I can spot these issues on character sheets. If you try to sneak something by me, it wonít lead to a better experience for anyone.

I donít ban multiple character submissions per player, but a max of one is getting in, so itís kind of wasting your time to do so.

Homebrew, Pathfinder and Dragon material are allowed case-by-case. I may reject things if the read is too long.

If you have a use for something Iím banning, and your use will not trip any of the reasons Iíve banned it, then ask and we can work something out. If you honest to god want to play a kobold and itís not because of Scaled Ones, Loredrake, Dragonwraught, Draconic Rite of Passage, or any other crazy reason, talk to me.

Backstories: Skirt length or longer. The longest backstory Iíve written for a D&D campaign was 2300 words (I was rejected for a character with a 12-word backstory, cíest la vie). Consider that a rough maximum. Feel free to do a 10-minute background in addition to a writeup, but I do expect one.

Dice: HP after first level is half (Bard with 10 con gets 6, 3, 4, 3, 4Ö). Point Buy is 32.

Alignment: Nearly everybody, with the exception of outsiders, is neutral. I recommend against a smite-based build. I donít care what alignment you make your character, but you should be part of the party. Donít build a kleptomaniac or a chronic backstabber. Ask if you want to break alignment restrictions on classes, please.

Misc: Massive Damage triggers only if you take over 50 damage and over half of your total HP. Walk and Chew Gum: You may perform a move-equivalent action in the middle of a movement action. Doing so takes a full-round action (2 move actions). Shield bonuses apply to touch AC.

Fixes: Some things need repair. Power Word Pain and Distract need to swap levels. Swordsage gets wisdom to AC in no armor. Martial Monk canít take weapon supremacy or epic feats. Things like this wonít be listed below. Most elements of RACSD will be used. Ask if thereís anything you want clarified.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Races

Player Races
    Bans: Greensnake Naga, All LA+0 anthropomorphic races, all awakened creatures. Kobold is banned in lieu of banning the 10 billion abuses individually. Mineral Warrior is banned.

Race Rules: LA Buyoff is in effect. If you want to play something underpowered, talk to me and we can (maybe) buff it a bit. In general, 3.5 has enough stuff floating around to make a concept work at decent power without this.

Feral: Fast Healing is changed to DR. All other abilities key off of Monster Hit Dice explicitly.

Half-Orc: Stat adjustments are Str +2, Int -2.

Petal: Too hilarious to disallow as a PC race.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Classes

Base Classes
    Bans: Any class with 9s is banned unless mentioned below (Archivist to Wu Jen), except Sublime Way. If you really need them for some reason, they may end up in-game with reduced ACFs and the adept spell progression. Artificers are banned.

Class Rules: No multiclass XP penalty. Fractional BAB and saves, with +2 bump added only once. ACF chaining and equivalencies are allowed on a case-by-case basis. If you want to play something underpowered, talk to me and we can (maybe) buff it a bit. In general, 3.5 has enough stuff floating around to make a concept work at decent power without this. All of my homebrew base classes are in play, although some are modified below.

Barbarian: I recommend using the Professional mundane class fix.

Beguiler: Uses the Bard spell progression.

Binder: Online vestiges are banned.

Factotum: To balance with reduced spell power, Factotumsí max spell level is reduced by 1, but you can cast multiple spells from your (new lower) maximum level. Cunning Breach fails against spell immunity. Cunning defense does not stack with improved cunning defense. Cunning Brilliance works off a limited list we will create.

Fighter: I recommend using the Professional mundane class fix.

Healer: Keeps its full progression.

Monk: The Monk gets full base attack bonus. At 4th level and every 2 levels after, the monk may choose one: Pounce, flurry to attacks of opportunity, flurry to standard action attacks, powerful build, +2/Grapples, Heal +Level/Day (requires wholeness of body), the ability to lower any SR as an immediate action, any 0-level spell at will (Target:Self or must be cast targeting self), any first-level spell at will (same restrictions, must have at least half as many 0-level spells), any 2nd-level spell at will (same restrictions, must have at least half as many first-level spells), etc.

Paladin: Codes are relaxed somewhat (including variant paladins). That said, keep in mind alignment norms above. Do not rely on detection and smiting.

Ranger: Effective druid level for animal companions is equal to ranger level minus 3. Hit Dice are D10. A level 6 ranger gets a bonus feat, which can be Sword of the Arcane Order, even if she does not meet the SotAO prerequisites. Wild-Shape is recommended, but see the Shifter (below).

Rappeler (Homebrew): Uses the Bard spell progression.

Rogue: I recommend using the Professional mundane class fix.

Shifter (Homebrew): This class is tier 2 as written. If you wish to use it, I will work with you to craft a fair assortment of familiar forms. I have a lot of experience with this. There will be no Myconid Sovereigns, Shaedlings, Ushemoi, Dire Tortoises, Darktentacles, etc. Empowered Arcane Shape is nerfed.

Shugenja: Uses the Bard spell progression.

Truenamer: Banned. I really donít want to deal with it.

Warlock: Eldritch blast may full attack for iteratives. Damage is fixed up to equal sneak attack. 4+Int Skill points per level. Warlocks get an invocation every level, but must take a blast essence or shape every 5 levels.

Warmage: Keeps its full spell progression.

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Prestige Classes

Prestige Classes
    Bans: Anima Mage, Apostle of Peace, Arcane Heirophant, Cancer Mage, Chameleon, Divine Crusader, Dweomerkeeper, Halruuan Elder, Incantatrix, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Moonspeaker, Planar Shepherd, Rainbow Servant, Shadowcraft Mage, Sublime Chord, Thrallherd, Ur-Priest. If I missed a prestige class thatís similar in power to these ones, you may wish to ask me. If you have a really good build that needs one of these for reasons other than their crazy spell shenanigans, talk to me.

Prestige Class Rules: Any prestige class that fully advances casting should have nontrivial entry requirements. If it's just a straight base class upgrade, the first level will not advance casting. This is my call.If you have a prestige class that has nontrivial entry requirement (more than a crappy feat, please), ask if that justifies full casting. Legacy Champion and uncanny trickster cannot extend classes past max pre-epic.

Invisible Blade: Reduce depreciated entry requirements.

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Feats

Feats
    Bans: Extra Spell an Extra Spell Slot are banned. Persist Spell is banned. Metamagic Reducers are almost all banned Ė mention if you want one in a build. Battle Jump, Body Fuel, Earth Spell, Exalted Companion, Exalted Wild Shape, Initiate of Mystra, Item Familiar, Leadership (and any variation thereof), Planar Touchstone, Reserves of Strength, and Shock Trooper, are banned. Many feats seem useless outside of cheese (Alternative Source Spell, for instance, is used exclusively for hunting ethergaunts).

Feat Rules: Any and all methods of exchanging feats for other feats follow the restrictions of Retraining in PHB2. One flaw is allowed. All skill-boosting feats use their pathfinder equivalents, which are strictly better. I buff many crappy feats below. Combined feats count as all feats you qualify for, for purposes of prerequisites. If you need a different crappy feat, talk to me and we can maybe work something out.

Dodge: Uses Pathfinder Dodge. When the prerequisites are met, includes Mobility and Spring Attack.

Great Fortitude: Includes Toughness and Improved Toughness.

Invisible Spell: +1 Level Adjust.

Iron Will: Includes Blind-Fight.

Lighting Reflexes: Includes Quick Draw when prerequisites are met.

Point-Blank Shot: Includes Far Shot.

Two-Weapon Defense: When the prerequisites are met, this includes Improved and Greater versions.

Two-Weapon Fighting: When the prerequisites are met, this includes Improved and Greater versions.

Weapon Focus: When the prerequisites are met, this includes Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Greater Weapon Specialization.

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Spells and Powers

Spells and Powers
    Bans: Celerity Line, all Polymorph spells, all calling spells. Delicate Disk. Forced Dream, Linked Power, Magic Jar, Psychic Reformation, and True Mind Switch are banned. Guidance of the Avatar, Divine Insight, Consumptive Field, Delay Death, Energy Transformation Field, and Loveís Pain are banned. Most spells above 6th level are banned, even castable through items, but can be used in the creation of existing non-banned items. For instance, Ring of Three Wishes is banned, but a Tome of Clear Thought is allowed. I donít want to play gotcha with a caster, but: this list is not meant to be exhaustive if there are spells with effects exceedingly similar to spells listed. For instance, other spells that give more than +5 to skill checks (like Guidance or Divine Insight).

Spell Rules: Blast of X (in the conjuration school), Doom Scarabs, Cloud spells, Orb spells, and Vitriolic X are moved to the evocation school. Any other spell whose only purpose is to deal damage is moved as well. Healing spells are moved from conjuration to necromancy. If you attempt to negate expensive material or XP components of any spells through any means, talk to me first or weíll be talking after.

7. - Top - End - #7

Default Items

Items
    Bans: Thought Bottle, Manyfanged Dagger.

Item Rules: Item combination as found in the MiC. Standard effects added with no premium, and items may be combined with +50% the cost of all items except for the most expensive. Remember that besides combining existing magical items, all custom magical items must be run by me. Yes, this includes your headband of wraithstrike.

Great Crossbow: Treated as a heavy crossbow for most things.

Sling: Can be Rapid Reloaded as a free action.

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Re: Houserules: Tier 3, Simply

Pretty good list of bans, keeps players fairly equal if it's important.

@Backstory Length
    I've always thought of backstory length as a negative thing in a depth:length ratio kind of way.