New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Questions about setting against a charge

I know that only certain weapons can be readied but I'm not sure how the actual mechanics work.

1. Does the readied strike hit first(assuming that both the charger and the person set against the charge have the same reach)?
    2. Can you ready the action as a power attack, and if so does the bonus damage from power attack get doubled?
    3. Can you do any melee action off the ready action like tripping, disarming, or sundering?
    4. If you can sunder off of readying against a charge, does your attack against the weapon do double damage?
    5. If you can sunder off of readying against a charge, does the charger gain +2 to his opposed roll since he is charging?
    6. If you are readied against a charge and another opponent does an action that grants you an attack of opportunity, does taking that attack stop you from being readied?

I know I'm asking alot of questions and I thank you for your help on this matter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questions about setting against a charge

Quote Originally Posted by Nicktacular View Post
    I know that only certain weapons can be readied but I'm not sure how the actual mechanics work.

1. Does the readied strike hit first(assuming that both the charger and the person set against the charge have the same reach)?
    2. Can you ready the action as a power attack, and if so does the bonus damage from power attack get doubled?
    3. Can you do any melee action off the ready action like tripping, disarming, or sundering?
    4. If you can sunder off of readying against a charge, does your attack against the weapon do double damage?
    5. If you can sunder off of readying against a charge, does the charger gain +2 to his opposed roll since he is charging?
    6. If you are readied against a charge and another opponent does an action that grants you an attack of opportunity, does taking that attack stop you from being readied?

I know I'm asking alot of questions and I thank you for your help on this matter.
    1 Yes
    2 Yes
    3 I believe you must ready each of those separately IIRC
    4 See 3, and it would not.
    5 See 3, but otherwise I believe so.
    6 Yes, IIRC.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

1 - Yes

2 - Yes and Yes

3 - Up to the DM's definition of "specify". This can mean you specify an attack action (sunder, trip, regular attack etc), or that you have to specify the maneuver you want. Given that the first option is more generic, I'd say it's not specif enough for the purposes of readying an action.

4 - If you ready for a sunder, sure, otherwise see "3". But no, you would not, as the text explicitly says you deal double damage to the character.

5 - Same as 4, and yes. He gets a +2 attack until the beginning of his next round, this counts for everything, including sunder and disarm attemps, as well as AoO.

6 - No. There's nothing saying that making an AoO "breaks" your readied action, nor saying that characters readying action can't make AoO

See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/spe...iveActions.htm

Also, the Simple Q&A stickied thread is pretty much made for these kinds of questions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    1 - Yes

6 - No. There's nothing saying that making an AoO "breaks" your readied action, nor saying that characters readying action can't make AoO

See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/spe...iveActions.htm

Also, the Simple Q&A stickied thread is pretty much made for these kinds of questions.
    Yeah, I was wrong about number 6.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!