New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Society Build Help.

Right, so I'm going to a convetion this firday and there gonna be running some pathfinder society games. I play society all of about once a year, if that, so I don't really have a standing character.

Thus, I could use some low level build suggestions, as I`d like to show up with the character ready to speed up getting started this year. Just needs to work well for low levels as I doubt the character will get past 4th level, IF that. Society legal material only please, thanks. =)
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Pathfinder Society Build Help.

Hmm. That's pretty open-ended. Do you have an idea what sort of character you want to play?

Just as important, which PF books do you own, since PFS requires you to have legally-obtained books or PDFs for anything you want to use.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Hmm. That's pretty open-ended. Do you have an idea what sort of character you want to play?

Just as important, which PF books do you own, since PFS requires you to have legally-obtained books or PDFs for anything you want to use.
    You can't play PFS off of the PFS website rules? o.O
    Spoiler: Fun quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    You could mine nobel prizes out of this catgirl-as-valid-physics-detector concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Dragons don't tell the laws of reality to sit down and shut up; rather, the laws meekly ask the dragon permission before standing up in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Remember: If D&D was a computer program, it wouldn't compile

Waysterra: It Has Always Been This Way (Desert Campaign Setting)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post

I don't own books, I've just gone and run sorcs the last few times. I have to run out and buy $100+ in books to get the options legal?

Other then that, I want really effective at low levels. I like warriors but I'm aware that Pathfinder is "caster or GTFO edition.".
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Huh. PFS doesn't let you build off of the PFSRD?

Question of my own for those who play in it regularly: particularly at lowish levels, how common are humanoid foes? And what is the PFS policy on retaining "recruits" from other modules? If you hired (*cough*Charmed*cough*) a bodyguard in one module, could you note that down in your adventure log and keep him around for the next?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well since so many people asked: Paizo wants that you buy all the Additional Resources (or at least have a friend who buys them.)
    In order to utilize content from an Additional Resource, a player must have a physical copy of the Additional Resource in question, a name-watermarked Paizo PDF of it, or a printout of the relevant pages from it, as well as a copy of the current version of the Additional Resources list. (If you're bringing a printout of the pages, it must be from the Paizo PDF and not text copied and pasted into a blank word processing document). Since the core assumption for Pathfinder Society Organized Play is the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook and Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play, we cannot assume that every Game Master will have the products listed below. As such, it's up to players to bring these items in order to familiarize their Game Masters with the rules.
    That aside the PFS groups I played with also accepted prints from the Paizo PRD here so it depends on the DM how familiar he is with all the books and how strict he is going to enforce the the rules. If you want to be safe just don't pick an ability from the PFSRD that really sticks out and might stir a "how did you do that?" question.
    You probably get away with anything from the official books, including the extra classes, everyone tends to know those, or at least the DMs running these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Question of my own for those who play in it regularly: particularly at lowish levels, how common are humanoid foes? And what is the PFS policy on retaining "recruits" from other modules? If you hired (*cough*Charmed*cough*) a bodyguard in one module, could you note that down in your adventure log and keep him around for the next?
    Any spell cast by a PC during the course of a scenario that is still active at the end of a scenario ends when the scenario does. For example, if your cleric PC casts bless on the party and bless is still active when the scenario ends, the bless spell ends at the conclusion of the scenario. This includes spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration, such as continual flame, create undead, or fabricate.
    Edit: So that is a clear no to you question. No mindslaves.
    As for non spellcasting, you could, but there is the rule of "one combat pet person", aka you can only have one ally. Although I am not sure about hiring humanoid bodyguards, you can buy animals to guard you, but that won't "stack" with animal companions or familiars. (Leadership is banned though.)

And for the real question: even effectiveness is still a vague description. Every full caster is a easy thing to play, like you noted, but pretty much every class can be effective at the low levels. Though you should avoid the bottom of the tier barrel, Rogues, Fighters, Cavaliers, Gunslingers.
    A more specific suggestion: have you considered an Alchemist? They can do a lot of things from the starts and have that instant personality feel. From focusing on bombs, on focusing makeshift potions to focusing on mutagens and transforming. Lot's of options and most available at level 1.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-16 at 12:58 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, technically, the Charm Person/Hypnotism "You should be my bodyguard" combination is diplomancy. Even when the spells wear off, the target is still Fanatically devoted to being your bodyguard, non-magically.

That said, the question next becomes how common humanoids are in PFS modules. (I'm basically wondering how effective an Enchantress type sorceress PC can be.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In my experience, very, but my experience is limited.

As for what I want, en, maybe a sunder monkey? I hear those work pretty good at low levels in society play. Or a Synthesis Summoner, I hear those are pretty good at wrecking face and still having out of combat utility?
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Other then that, I want really effective at low levels. I like warriors but I'm aware that Pathfinder is "caster or GTFO edition.".
    For the current level-range I would go for an 2/3 caster. Like bard, alchemist, inquisitor. They don't struggle as bad without spells but they have enough spells to never get redundant.