New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default recharge magic varient, is it worth it?

So I've got a campaign starting on Thursday and I'm thinking about trying the recharge magic variant in Unearthed Arcana. It looks like a good option to keep things moving, however, it seems to make certain builds non viable. I'm looking for other DM's who have used this and what your general opinions of it is. How did your group respond to it? Did you revert back or keep it for good?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: recharge magic varient, is it worth it?

I never found it useful. The magic-system as is works pretty well, and is supported by most D20 things. UA magic systems rarely do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I never found it useful. The magic-system as is works pretty well, and is supported by most D20 things. UA magic systems rarely do.
    yeah I've got mixed feelings about it. It seems interesting but I didn't know how it meshed compared to the normal, especially some of the wait times.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by adriana View Post
    yeah I've got mixed feelings about it. It seems interesting but I didn't know how it meshed compared to the normal, especially some of the wait times.
    I tend to stick to the normal rules (I only really use supplemental variants as opposed to replacement variants) as closely as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The one good thing is we're starting at lv 3 so if the party hates it we can always revert back before their to set on builds that utilize the new system.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adriana View Post
    The one good thing is we're starting at lv 3 so if the party hates it we can always revert back before their to set on builds that utilize the new system.
    It's broken. The Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer might despise it. The Wizard, Cleric, and Druid will probably like it.

One of the things that can noticably change the game about it is that the party Sorcerer-8 can no longer cast Fly (or Polymorph) four times to get everyone past an obstacle. The Cleric can only cast one Death Ward, even though you KNOW you're going to be facing a lot of undead. Most the things you'd want to occasionally spam are now no longer possibilities - which generally means that the Cleric is going to be the only one with a Death Ward up. The Wizard is going to be the only one Flying. The Druid is going to be the only one with Barkskin. And so on. Many of the more useful other-buffs are largely now no longer viable to apply to the noncasters in the party.

The class that is expected to be able to spam spells can't do so as well as it could (Sorcerer), the big players ... lose some of their ability to go nova in exchange for being able to keep it up all day (the Wizard-5 can now stay invisible constantly, as well as maintain a constant [animal]'s [attribute] spell up on himself, easy. It exacerbates a pre-existing problem severely.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    It's broken. The Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer might despise it. The Wizard, Cleric, and Druid will probably like it.

One of the things that can noticably change the game about it is that the party Sorcerer-8 can no longer cast Fly (or Polymorph) four times to get everyone past an obstacle. The Cleric can only cast one Death Ward, even though you KNOW you're going to be facing a lot of undead. Most the things you'd want to occasionally spam are now no longer possibilities - which generally means that the Cleric is going to be the only one with a Death Ward up. The Wizard is going to be the only one Flying. The Druid is going to be the only one with Barkskin. And so on. Many of the more useful other-buffs are largely now no longer viable to apply to the noncasters in the party.

The class that is expected to be able to spam spells can't do so as well as it could (Sorcerer), the big players ... lose some of their ability to go nova in exchange for being able to keep it up all day (the Wizard-5 can now stay invisible constantly, as well as maintain a constant [animal]'s [attribute] spell up on himself, easy. It exacerbates a pre-existing problem severely.
    This is what I needed to know and was kinda what I was afraid of.