New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default The Far Realm (pertaining to portals and servitors)

We all know about the heavily Lovecraft-influenced Far Realms; a place of pure insanity and unimaginable creatures. I was toying with a concept that is a character obsessed with the Far Realms and attempting to unleash the madness upon the Material Plane. I have run into a snag with the process of opening portals (as the presence of the creatures increase the chaos of the material plane (according to Fiend Folio)), and a class that is perfect for said character (excluding Alienist).

Thanks for any input

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Far Realm (pertaining to portals and servitors)

Precipitate Planar breach, a level 6 or 7 spell. Anything on the other side [well, on both sides] can make a DC 15 Knowledge Planes check to mosey on through as if it was a really large gate [though end location is set like plane shift I think]. Oh, and it lasts for hours and lets some planar traits effect the surroundings.

This is all from the top of my head though, but that's a good way to get it sooner. It would also work for the incantation rules given it's level.

Edit: Ok, Fount it. It's level 5, with complete breach being level 9 [and a separate spell that works the same way]. However, you can't choose the end location, so perhaps research a version that links to only one plane, or where you can choose the plane.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-07-16 at 12:00 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

This isn't particularly relevant, but the Sepulchrave campaign journal includes a wizard/alienist who is way into the Far Realm. It's an incredibly good read.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rethmar View Post
    This isn't particularly relevant, but the Sepulchrave campaign journal includes a wizard/alienist who is way into the Far Realm. It's an incredibly good read.
    Tales of Wyre is a great read period! I also recommend Shemska's Planescape Story hour.

You say no alienist but would your DM be up for reworking it? Alternatively maybe refluffing some taint based class.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

If you don't want Alienist, why not go with the good old Planeshifter? I would love to see how that level 9 ability Planar Area Swap would work with the Far Realm.

From the class- "The swapped areas switch back in a number of days equal to 10 + planeshifter level." This is 19 days of MADNESS, minimum.

Some kinds of Far Realms-obsessed Conjurer/Alienist/Malconvoker/Planeshifter combo would make a pretty fun bad guy.