New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Shifter Ranger/Barbarian/ Weretouched Master help

So, our next game is going to be in Eberron, starting at level 9, and I've decided to play a Shifter and have so far come up with this:

Ranger1/Barbarian 4/Weretouched Master 4
    Str 16
    Dex 14
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 12
    Car 6
    This is after racial adjustments and extra points of level 4 and 8.
    I've gone with Longtooth for my shifter trait, and I've used the RSL for the Ranger 1, making Wild empathy Wis based. I'll talk to my DM to see if I can use some version of the Pre-errata Alternate Form capstone, even a weakened one would be better than what it is now.

Now, I'm unsure on where to go with this character. Should I rely solely on my natural weapons, and if not, what weapon would be best, the usual Greatsword? What items should I get, with my 36k of gold?
    And what Feats should I take, among all Shifter feats?

What I'm looking for is just some basic optimisation that's also flavorful. Any ideas?
    Last edited by BlueBiscuit; 2014-07-16 at 08:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Shifter Ranger/Barbarian/ Weretouched Master help

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thanks, that's awesome. Though I'm still unsure about items and feats.
    Should I completely forgo martial weapons and use solely my natural attack?
    For the moment, this is what I've come up with:
    1° Longtooth Elite
    3° Shifter Multiattack
    6° Extra Shifter Trait (Beasthide), Beasthide Elite (Weretouched Master bonus shifter feat)
    9° Shifter Savagery, ?

I don't know what other feat I should pick, and wether I bother with non-Shifter feats like Power Attack or Extra Rage? They sinergise well, but it lessens the duration of my morphing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Since the game has not started yet, does your DM allow for dragon magazine?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

No, I asked him already. A few other manuals are also off limits, like Tome of Battle and a few others.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm a power gamer. I like to optimize mechanically.

With that in mind I have to say; if I'm playing a shifter it's for flavor. I think they are the most flavorful race out there. Just pure awesomeness. I would go shifter feats. But if your group plays the 5 minute work day Shift/Rage once or twice a day is all you'll need.

Defiantly pick up Improved Natural Attack and maybe a few levels of Warshaper. I swear that PrC was made for shifters in mind.
    Last edited by PaucaTerrorem; 2014-07-16 at 04:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PaucaTerrorem View Post
    I'm a power gamer. I like to optimize mechanically.

With that in mind I have to say; if I'm playing a shifter it's for flavor. I think they are the most flavorful race out there. Just pure awesomeness. I would go shifter feats. But if your group plays the 5 minute work day Shift/Rage once or twice a day is all you'll need.

Defiantly pick up Improved Natural Attack and maybe a few levels of Warshaper. I swear that PrC was made for shifters in mind.
    Yeah, the awesomeness of a Were-Tiger is the entire reason I've picked the shifter too.
    Is Improved Natural Attack worth it, even if it doesn't stack with the Shifter Frenzy increases to natural weapons?
    Last edited by BlueBiscuit; 2014-07-16 at 04:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Looks like Imp. Natural and Shifter Savagery are the same and don't stack. If it matters, Imp. Natural requires a lower BAB.
    Up to you, really.
    But really think about Warshaper. +4 STR and CON which means longer shifts that hit harder. Immune to crits and stunning. +5' reach and fast healing 2. The 1st level feature Morphic Weapons stacks with either Imp. Natural Attack or Shifter Savagry(whichever one you take). And because shifting is a FREE action you don't need the 5th dead(for shifters) level. Only downside I see in the class is medium BAB which is countered entirely by the +4STR.
    Last edited by PaucaTerrorem; 2014-07-16 at 05:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I may take Warshaper starting next level, depends on whether my DM lets me use a variation of the Pre-errata capstone for the Weretouched Master.
    If he doesn't, I'm gonna go straight for Warshaper.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Please PM me on how this character plays out. Fell in love with shifters the second I read about them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PaucaTerrorem View Post
    Please PM me on how this character plays out. Fell in love with shifters the second I read about them.
    Sure. It's gonna be awhile before the game starts, mostly because most of us are going on vacation separetely, but I'll gladly inform you of whatever exploits I manage to do with this guy.