New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Sabertooth, need help finishing him...

So, based on an earlier build, but fleshed out a little to my taste, is a character that I think resembles Sabertooth, at least a little...

CN Human Boar Totem Barbarian 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Black Blood Cultist 10

H - Improved Unarmed Strike
    1 - Great Fortitude
    B - Diehard
    3 - Power Attack
    6 - Track

My issue is two-fold. The first, I'm looking at the Feral Template, and it sure is shiny, frontloading a lot of nice things into this character. But, it also overlaps with some of Black Blood Cultist. Probably a minor issue, as the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Secondly, I have quite a few feats remaining, as well as 3 levels at the end to work with, and don't really know where to go with it. Should I just take 3 more levels of Barbarian?

Additionally, what sort of gear should this character focus on? I would assume a Mithral Breastplate, since it's basically a Light Armor Wearer's wet dream, and something to get him a fly speed would be ideal, but what are some items with pizazz that would really set this guy apart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Sabertooth, need help finishing him...

*Checks BBC*
    Since you have levels to work with, go with Feral. The Special Attacks have been debated numerous times about whether or not you get them without RHD, (it says "Monster HD," which most believe got updated to "Racial HD." Talk the the DM, or if you are the DM, pick the one that makes sense to you.)
    Also, you get the best ones from BBC anyway, so no big loss there.

What is (generally) not debated, is the Special Qualities, which only specify "HD." Fast Healing (1-5) is why you want this, (not to mention the decent Darkvision and STR increase!)
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Yeah, I was kinda figuring Feral was a win-win situation anyways, especially with LA buyoff. I just hate having an open-ended progression table and unplanned feats ... Also, we're going by the character HD argument, because martial characters need love.
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

• Feral will also give you your trademark abilities-- claws and fast healing-- from the very start, which I figure is worth something. You could probably dump all of Black Blood Cultist if you go Feral.
    • A Warblade dip would be a nice touch to pick up some Tiger Claw stuff-- Hunter's Sense gives you back scent, and Sudden Leap is always a great movement enhancer.
    • If you want to spend the feats, Troll Blooded (Dragon #319) + Tireless (PGtF) will give you legit regeneration with no drawbacks.
    • Frenzied Berserker fits Sabertooth pretty well.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobold

Hmm... Had to rework a little of it, but I think I have it figured out now...

CN Feral Human Bear Totem Barbarian 6/Frenzied Berzerker 10/Warblade 1/Fist of the Forest 3

Flaw - ?? to gain Troll Blooded
    Flaw - Uncontrollable Rage to gain Tireless
    Totem Level 1 - Toughness
    Human - Power Attack
    1 - Cleave
    Totem Level 2 - Improved Grapple
    Totem Level 3 - Great Fortitude
    3 - Destructive Rage
    6 - Intimidating Rage
    9 - Improved Unarmed Strike
    12 - Reckless Rage
    15 - ??
    18 - ??

Edit - How would taking Shaky Vulnerable as a flaw (-1 to AC) sound, and grabbing Robilar's Gambit at 15? I mean, this guy probably doesn't care if his AC goes down by 1 moire point...
    Last edited by WeaselGuy; 2014-07-16 at 03:38 PM.
    My Extended Sig!