New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default So SKR has a new kickstarter.

It's about witch folk spells. And practical magic that adventurers wouldn't use. Also, the noncasters can use some of the stuff.

The practical magic. That adventurers wouldn't use.

EDIT: I am REALLY disappointed that he didn't introduce himself as "Sean K Reynolds" in the video. The K makes a difference.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-16 at 03:18 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: So SKR has a new kickstarter.

I've quickly skimmed through the KS page, but I don't see a reason for why he's going the crowd funding route. I mean, 29 spells/rituals/hexes doesn't seem like a ton of content and he's going to be selling a PDF right? For like $60 / month you can get a personal copy of Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign which would be the basic tools you'd need for a decent looking PDF.

Am I missing something here?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

That's true. Who needs so much $$$ to fund such a small PDF?

I mean, I'm not even opposed to the idea of the book, but it's so useless. D:
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-16 at 03:36 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like he's trying to get more of his materials into actual brick and mortar stores, so my guess would be that the project includes enough creating enough physical stock to sell copies to local gaming stores.

Maybe this is a first step towards transforming SKR games into a self-sustaining business instead of an outlet for his materials that don't fit well into established product lines?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I wish that it was more about spells that non-adventurer casters could use on a day to day basis instead of folk spells. It might have more useful spells but if curing warts is by any means the measure of the rest of the spells it seems pointless. I mean what npc Cleric in their right mind would even bother with the ability to cure warts? They might do it once every year or something but most of the time they will prepare spells that are actually useful to them like diagnose disease or read weather (With Cure light wounds probably being use more often). I am kind of the curious about how the rituals are going to work though.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This sounds like something you don't need a book for. If I really wanted to make warts a part of my campaign, I could make them a curse or DM fiat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Looks fun, I backed it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Players may not use it, but seriously - what DM doesn't want to give warts to players occasionally?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

EDIT: I am REALLY disappointed that he didn't introduce himself as "Sean K Reynolds" in the video. The K makes a difference.
    The "K" stood for nonionized internet Potassium, which causes forum threads in which he is mentioned to explode.
    But now that he has left Paizo and completely reversed many of his longest held positions, he is no longer explosive, so the "K" has disappeared!

More seriously, I'm guessing the reason he is doing it as a kickstarter is to gauge how big to make it via stretch goals. The minimum funding goal is something he could probably do without a kickstarter, but he doesn't want to go bigger unless he has guaranteed sales.