Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I have no clue what you're going on about. With the introduction of swift and immediate actions and the changes to Quicken Spell and Feather Fall, there aren't any free action spells; consequently, all rules regarding free action spells are obsolete. Why are you pointing out something that's irrelevant to the discussion?

What I was referring to as a single, in passing, limit mention was about other spells ("your normal limit of one spell per round"), not free action spells.
Can you give me a precise reference as to the location of where said rules are explicitly deprecated? Because otherwise you're basically saying that because a rule sets up a general baseline that's inconvenient, and the original situation it is set to resolve is no longer a major issue, you're just gonna ignore it. And again, that is TOTALLY FINE as a houserule. It's perfectly okay if you want to give that boost to casters, or if you want to cut out vestiges of past rules. But do not try to claim that it is RAW.

Complete Arcane only references the change in terminology present in Quicken. It doesn't touch a single other rule other than the action referenced in the feat Quicken Spell. It's why Quicken SLA still references free actions. Its why if, say, someone wanted to cast Kaupaer's Quickblast (which never got an update), it would still have rules to adjudicate its use. In short, you are downright incorrect. It is entirely relevant. It sets up a baseline (that being "Only one spell can be cast during a turn") and sets up an exception ("Spells with a casting time of a free action, or quickened spells can be cast in addition to the normal single spell a round you can cast"). That swift actions aren't exempted does not mean that the rule is invalid, it means that swift action spells aren't an exemption to the one spell a round rule.

(By the way, actually look at both of the references I made. Both say the same thing, that a free action spell or quickened spell does not count against your one-spell limit. that exception to the general rule would serve precisely zero purpose if there was not a limit to begin with. They could have cut out both of those sections and would have lost nothing. That they are present, are still present in the special edition reprint, have not been cut out by errata, have not been superseded by later books, and that the rule even survived into pathfinder as a continued limit on swift action spells demonstrates that it is still a relevant rule, despite your claims to the contrary. It is not obscure, it is not hidden in a sidebar or alternate rule, and it is not in passing. It is right there. And so long as it is there, until WotC releases a new book for the 3.5 edition of D&D stating otherwise, by RAW only one free action spell or quickened spell, and one other spell of a non-free casting time can be cast during a round. And because of that, unless you change the rules spellcasters cannot take advantage of changing a move action to a swift action.)