New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Psion Time Traveller concept 3.5

I'm interested in making a psion character with a Master of Space and Time theme. I'm planning on writing his story that he's a time traveler from the future and is trying to change the future. Any suggestions on build and powers to give it that sort of feel.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Psion Time Traveller concept 3.5

If you're open to 3rd party, the Hyperconscious book (written by Bruce Cordell, the same guy who wrote the XPH) has the Chronorebel PrC in it that can jump around through time.

Beyond that, the only ways to reverse time in psionics (short of Reality Revision anyway) are Time Regression (one round at a time) and Forced Dream (returns you to your starting point but not before.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Devil

Default Re: Psion Time Traveller concept 3.5

The only way I can think of getting access to Teleport Through Time is to have Epic Spell to Power Erudites be a part of the setting and use the Ardent's Substitute Powers ACF (same link) to add it to the Time Mantle (there are currently only 7 powers in it, you can have up to 10). There are other ways, but this IMHO, is the cleanest way, and doesn't require item requirement shenanigans etc. Bear in mind that as I read it, the ability to ignore material components is down to the Spell to Power ability of the Erudite, not a function of the spell/power itself, although I can see it being read more favourably, and that you do not need the material component if you pay +2pp. However, you can also finangle that there's actually no listed cost of the flower, so it's not considered expensive, so you wouldn't need to pay the expanded cost anyway.

It has the slightly annoying effect of hurting your Intelligence after travelling back. A dip in Binder lets you pick up Fast Ability Healing. This has the benefit of healing you, even with Int 0, so you're never unconcious for more than one round.

One of my favourite Psionic Tricks is called the Save Game Trick. Normally, it requires a few charactes working together, or multiclassing, but with an Ardent's ability to pick up Powers from his Mantle's and have them substituted into those mantles, in conjunction with the existence of Spell to Power Erudites in the setting, it works perfectly without "wasting" feats on Expanded Knowledge. Rather than explain it, here it is quoted from the words of the person who created it. Because of the wording of Imbue Spell-like Ability, you want to pick up Magic Mantle.

Ardent's are actually kind of cool for this. Ardents are 10 level classes, and only need to have a further 3 Manifesting advancing classes and a feat to be able to pick up 9th level powers. They still need to have 17HD, as that's how Practised Manifester works. Elocator is a "nomad" based psionic PrC - it's not very well regarded - a couple of 1/day SLA's or Su's, and only a 7/10 progression (normally meaning that a Psion wouldn't get 9th level powers until ECL20), the as said before, an Ardent ignores that. Like I said, it's not particularly brilliant - it does give you 2 free powers known at 6th, and makes them dead cheap to 'fest (5pp) and gives you an extra 5ft step at ECL7, which is where I'd personally drop out.

Some character along the lines of;

Binder 1/Dominant Ideal (Time) Substitute Powers Ardent 10/Elocator 7/Quori Nightmare

With Practised Manifester, Dodge, Mobility and any one Psionic Feat as the only required feats in the build, you have by ECL18 a Manifester level of 19, but it's capped by your HD, so it's 18. For Mantle's Time is obviously thematic, while Magic Mantle helps with the Psionic Save Game Trick (as it's the Magic Mantle, and spell to power could theoretically go in there, but you might want to choose more thematically appropriate ones. Mental Power is another good one for Psionic Characters (as it's easy to justify why a psionic character would concievably find near enough any psionic power on there - for example, Schism etc). There isn't really any other mantle that's suitable for "space" in "space and time", other than perhaps the powers in "freedom" mantle.

For the Psionic Save Game Trick, you'll need Psicrystal Affinity. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, or not, but there's also a "trick" where you can use Linked Power Synchronicity to continually generate more actions in a turn, which with a Dominant Time Mantle Ardent, and the Metapower feat in conjunction with Bestow power would also enable you a recharge ability. Linked Power is perhaps one of my favourite feats in Psionics, as it can't be replicated.

Note that there are some who read that Linked Power can allow you to skip the XP costs because it doesn't mention them. I believe the opposite, because it doesn't mention them, you still have to pay XP costs.

Edit;

here's a build I quickly drew up.

Kalashtar Binder 1/Ardent 10/Elocator 7/Quori Nightmare 2
    ML20 @ ECL20.

Mantles; Time (Dominant, Primary), Mental Power (Primary), Magic (Ardent 2), Freedom (Ardent 5)

17 powers known, plus Psionic Teleport and Psionic Plane Shift at ECL 17.
    Powers Known;
    Ardent 1; 2x 1st (ML2); Synchronicity (Time - 1), Mind Thrust (Mental - 1)
    Ardent 2; 1x 2nd (ML3); Status (Magic - 1)
    Ardent 3; 2x 2nd (ML4); Mental Disruption (Mental - 2)
    Ardent 4; 1x 3rd (ML5); Time Hop (Time - 2)
    Ardent 5; 2x 3rd (ML6); Forced Dream (Mental - 3)
    Ardent 6; 1x 4th (ML7); Imbue with Spell Ability (Magic - 2)
    Ardent 7; 2x 4th (ML8); Sense Danger (3rd level Mental - 4)
    Ardent 8; 1x 5th (ML9); Anticipatory Strike (Time - 3)
    Ardent 9; 2x 5th (ML10); Temporal Reiteration (Time - 4)
    Ardent 10; 1x 6th (ML11); Psionic Contingency (Mental - 5)
    Elocator 1; 2x 6th (ML12); Temporal Acceleration (Time - 5)
    Elocator 3; 1x 7th (ML13); Bestow Power (2nd level Mental - 6)
    Elocator 4; 2x 7th (ML14); Psionic Freedom of Movement (5th level Freedom - 1)
    Elocator 6; 1x 8th (ML15); Mass Time-Hop (Time - 6), Bonus - Psionic Teleport, Psionic Plane Shift (both 3rd level)
    Elocator 7; 2x 8th (ML16); Psionic Greater Teleport (Freedom - 2)
    Quori Nightmare 2; 1x 9th (ML17); Teleport Through Time (Time - 7)

Feats;
    ECL1; Dodge
    ECL3; Mobility
    ECL6; Practised Manifester
    ECL9; Spring Attack
    ECL11; Sidestep (Bonus feat)
    ECL12; Linked Power
    ECL15; Metapower (Linked Synchronicity)
    ECL18; Psicrystal Affinity

Using the Epic Spell to Power Erudite and the Wyrm Wizard, all Divine Spells are Arcane, and thus become Arcane, which thus become Psionics. Using the Substitute Powers Mantle, I can put them on mantles, which I can learn, which includes Teleport Through Time, and the spells required for the Psionic Save Game Trick and Garryl's Disconcern, with an in built power recharge with Bestow Power.

In addition, I have Binder providing me with Fast Healing, so no matter how far I go back in the past, suffering a mishap does not adversely affect me for more than 1-3 rounds, as my Manifesting is based off Wisdom. Not meant to be massively optimized, but there are enough High OP tricks in there to keep you going.
    Dominant Mantle means you don't need to expend your focus when you apply Metapsionics to a power from the relevant mantle, in this case, Time, and reduce the augmentation cost of said power by 2, to a minimum of 0. Synchronicity is a 1pp power which lets you for a further 2pp (reduced to 0, by dominant mantle) basically interrupt an opponents turn with a standard action. Normally, this isn't relevant, but you can use this with Linked Power to Synchronicity, which causes the power to take effect on yourself the following turn once again.

It looks a bit like this;

Round 1; Standard Action, Manifest Linked Augmented Synchronicity to Augmented Synchronicity (2pp).
    Gains a readied standard action with an undefined trigger that must be used before the end of the round.
    Round 2; Standard Action, do whatever you want. The second Augmented Synchronicity goes off (0pp).
    Gains a readied standard action with an undefined trigger that must be used before the end of the round, which is used to Manifest Linked Augmented Synchronicity to Augmented Synchronicity (2pp).
    Gains a readied standard action with an undefined trigger that must be used before the end of the round.
    Round 3; Standard action, do whatever you want.
    Both of the linked Augmented Synchronicity's go off (0pp), gaining you 2 readied standard actions with an undefined trigger that must be used before the end of the round).

This isn't the most broken method either, as you can continue to use the gained standard action to manifest a Linked Power Augmented Synchronicity until they run out of PP. If you think that a baseline Ardent with 20 Wisdom and Mental Power Mantle (effectively 22 Wis) has 281pp, that can give them 140 standard actions on their second turn.

Don't forget that you can have Schism up, which gives you the ability to manifest that power for free, while Sense Danger lets you do it as an Immediate Action.

That 1pp left over? That's actually quite important. Because you can link Synchronicity to Bestow Power (a +3pp metamagic cost). Combined with Metapower, this increases the reduction to -4, to a minimum of 0 for augmentation. 1+3 = 4, -4 = 0, but to a minimum of 1, that means you regenerate 2 PP for every point spent. It is an out of combat ability, really, but it allows you to pretty much nova all of your PP in one encounter, and then, over the course of 5 or so minutes, regenerate back to full PP. It doesn't have many offensive powers outside of Plane Shift, Time Hop or Mass Time Hop - and really, for thematic powers, what's better than shunting someone on to another plane of existence or outside of the time stream for a few hours? The one thing that lets this down from being too viable is a low DC on the powers (remember Plane Shift etc is a 3rd level power, awesome for Psychic Warriors, poor for offensive use), so unless you pump Wisdom, it's going to be annoying. At least you can do some damage with Id Thrust, haha.

The only thing I'm not sure how to do is to make a target a willing when it doesn't want to be. An unconcious character might be, but by the time you've got it unconcious, it's dead anyway, so weaponising Teleport Through Time that way is a no go. Weaponising Teleport Through Time would be awesome.