New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Question [D&D 3.5] construct feats

from the srd "Any creature that can think, learn, or remember has at least 1 point of Intelligence. A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. It has immunity to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and automatically fails Intelligence checks. Mindless creatures do not gain feats or skills, although they may have bonus feats or racial skill bonuses."

is there any way (without DM fiat using 1st party materials) to craft a construct so that it has "bonus feats" and/or skills. (like if I want a construct with proficiency with an exotic weapon, or who has power attack, etc.) EDIT: Ideally the process would grant a feat without giving the construct an intelligence score, to preserve the construct's mindless nature, and therefore its immunity to mind affecting effects.
    Last edited by sim2er; 2014-07-20 at 01:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] construct feats

Incarnate Construct?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

There is a feat that allows crafting normally mindless constructs with Intelligence score (though nobody said it will be good Intelligence score). I don't remember the name, though, and it is probably Dragon Magazine material. I'll dig for it in about fourteen hours if it still will be relevant by then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Effigy Creature template in Complete Arcane makes a construct version of an existing creature, and retains any feats that creature had which improve its attacks, such as Multiattack, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Improved Natural Attack, etc. Note that you cannot design an Effigy of a creature with class levels, only a basic base creature with whatever is printed for a typical member of that race. However, you can use a templated creature as the base creature, certain templates can be applied multiple times (Half-Dragon, once for each variety), and the Effigy creature doesn't cost anything extra to create as long as the templates don't increase its size or number of hit dice. Last I checked, there were forty-two possible half-dragon varieties, which will give it +336 Strength and +126 natural armor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ideally the process would grant a feat without giving the construct an intelligence score, to preserve the construct's mindless nature, and therefore its immunity to mind affecting effects and the total loyalty that a mindless construct has for its creator. (I'll edit this into the OP)

good ideas all around though, especially the effigy idea.
    Last edited by sim2er; 2014-07-20 at 01:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    There is a feat that allows crafting normally mindless constructs with Intelligence score (though nobody said it will be good Intelligence score). I don't remember the name, though, and it is probably Dragon Magazine material.
    It's Rudimentary Intelligence, in Dragon Magazine #327, p. 73. It costs 8,000 extra gold and grants the construct an Int score of half your CL without interfering with the control you have over the construct.
    Quote Originally Posted by sim2er View Post
    Ideally the process would grant a feat without giving the construct an intelligence score, to preserve the construct's mindless nature, and therefore its immunity to mind affecting effects and the total loyalty that a mindless construct has for its creator. (I'll edit this into the OP)
    Constructs have immunity to mind-affecting effects regardless of whether or not they are mindless; it's a feature of the Construct type.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-20 at 05:02 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sim2er View Post
    from the srd "Any creature that can think, learn, or remember has at least 1 point of Intelligence. A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. It has immunity to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and automatically fails Intelligence checks. Mindless creatures do not gain feats or skills, although they may have bonus feats or racial skill bonuses."

is there any way (without DM fiat using 1st party materials) to craft a construct so that it has "bonus feats" and/or skills. (like if I want a construct with proficiency with an exotic weapon, or who has power attack, etc.) EDIT: Ideally the process would grant a feat without giving the construct an intelligence score, to preserve the construct's mindless nature, and therefore its immunity to mind affecting effects.
    Try crafting them as Intelligent Magic Items. Ironically, it doesn't add any special requirements, just some extra costs. Doesn't explicitly interfere with your control, other than the Ego thing (but you're making it, so it inherits your alignment...).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

An ice beast (construct template similar to the effigy template, Frostburn) is mindless and retains both weapon proficiency feats and feats that improves its attacks, just as an effigy does.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone know a way to give mindless creatures feats?
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    SNIP ... Constructs have immunity to mind-affecting effects regardless of whether or not they are mindless; it's a feature of the Construct type.
    This is a good point, unfortunately there is a house-rule that makes any "mindful" creature subject to mind-affecting abilities in this campaign. But RAW you are correct, I just forgot about that :P

Good thoughts all around though. thanks everyone!