New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What areas are within walking distance in your home?

I live in the middle of the Washington D.C. and I consider anything less than a couple miles to be walking distance. So, more restaurants than I will ever have the opportunity to try, a supermarket, a couple pharmacies, a park, a couple different metro line stops, tennis courts, several little arts and crafts boutique stores, a bunch of bars, assorted service businesses (banks, insurance, real estate etc.), and several embassies.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Going by this parking definition ... not much. Going by "what did I use to regularly walk to when I couldn't drive/still walk to because gas is expensive" ... a fair amount. Lots and lots of fast food joints, a couple of tattoo parlors, some gas stations, a used clothes store, a grocery store, a movie theater, a good many nice restaurants, several parks, and a few apartment complexes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

12 minute walk: 2 grocery stores (one fancy one), 20 pubs, Lake Michigan, the Milwaukee River, 3 drugstores, an indie movie theater, 743 hair salons (seems that way, anyway), 3 barber shops, UW-Milwaukee, 6 date-night-worthy restaurants, two-dozen other restaurants, 5 parks, a library, several dentists offices, a walk-in-clinic, a french language school, a public high school, two elementary schools and a middle school, 2 excellent liquor stores, 5 churches, 1 synagogue, 20% of the fanciest houses in the city, 3 Starbucks, 6 other coffee shops, 1 indie bookstore, 2 Beer Gardens, the inter-urban bike trail, and zero McDonald's.

1 hour walk: most of Milwaukee and the first-ring northern suburbs.

I live in a pretty cool part of the city.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2014-07-21 at 02:22 PM.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I live in the middle of the Washington D.C. and I consider anything less than a couple miles to be walking distance. So, more restaurants than I will ever have the opportunity to try, a supermarket, a couple pharmacies, a park, a couple different metro line stops, tennis courts, several little arts and crafts boutique stores, a bunch of bars, assorted service businesses (banks, insurance, real estate etc.), and several embassies.
    Having just experienced the god awful traffic that resides in D.C., I can easily understand walking anywhere that is within a few miles. Once I got into the heart of D.C., it took me 20-25 minutes to travel approximately 7 miles so I could get to the Zoo >< I have officially sworn off ever going to D.C. again, for any reason. It now joins Toronto and Chicago as places I will never drive in ever again.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I usually stride long distances, crossing over city borders in just a kilometre of running, because I love running places. Within my run, I pass through five shopping centres, several Asian restaurants, a Home Depot, a gas station, a Walgreen's where I have previously Burnie Leaned into after noticing a girl with a nose ring, and a park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.