1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law X: I Really Need To Post A Map

The creator is really busy with vet school
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

2. - Top - End - #242

That is indeed the case. Having recently finished graduate school myself, I can attest that such things are large time consumers - particularly when you're just starting out and getting used to everything. I would estimate that the earliest we can expect a new strip is probably summer break - spring, if we're lucky.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-20 at 08:20 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

CoffeeIncluded still regularly posts on the forums, so it's safe to say this hasn't been forgotten about.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks guys. I'm really sorry, but Athedia's right. Vet school is amazing but also amazingly difficult and I'm studying for a musculoskeletal exam tomorrow morning right now, actually. Add to it the fact that when you walk away from something for a while it can be hard to get back into that mindset again and...yeah.

To make it up to you all, some time tonight I'll post my musings on Laria and the oddly morally tricky question of their royalty.

EDIT: ok, here it is.

I wanted to explore the question of deception for a greater good with Laria. You know the trope where a false ruler takes power and ****s everything up until the true king returns and assumes his rightful place on the throne? That's the public story of the Larian Civil War (not Revolution; that's important) that took place about a century or so ago. The truth is the exact opposite.

Riley's red hair is important, and why he was so worried about the day one of his descendants has brown hair. The royal line of Laria is supposed to have red hair. They were blessed by Salblaze, and their flaming red hair is a physical mark of this blessing. It's therefore also a physical manifestation of their birthright.

At least, that was the case with the old line of kings, before they inbred themselves into incompetency, insanity, and extinction. The tendency of their advisors and servants to cater to the rulers' every whim that only got worse over time didn't help either. Elroy Ashblade shouldn't have been King--Gilbert Stonesight was the more competent man, which is why their grandchildren Riley and Mark are King and right-Hand man. Both were trained for the role. But Elroy Ashblade just happened to have, by complete genetic coincidence, fiery red hair.

To quickly end the civil war and restore stability to a country that was rapidly falling apart, they killed the last of the legitimate royal family, passed Elroy off as a distant relative who had also suffered like the citizens of Laria, and had him assume the throne with Gilbert as his advisor and arguably true power. And their descendants have lived this deception ever since.

Was it the right thing to do?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-02-21 at 11:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Griffon

It resulted in less bloodshed and a much more competent ruler, at the tine and for the future. I don't see a problem there.

Was it necessary to keep the illusion up this long? Is it still needed? I don't know, what are the risks? If people in a country are generally happy, they might be pissed to hear about such a deception, but are unlikely to actually start a revolution against the regime, as people's own lives and comfort are usually more important to them that the heritage of the ruler, and I doubt the majority would risk their own safety and livelihood for such a reason. If the ruler's been good, what's to complain? Perhaps the good times mean the gods approved?

If there's other trouble and discontent in the nation though, it's the perfect excuse for a revolt.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

6. - Top - End - #246
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think the Ashblades were justified in their actions, but I also think that revealing the truth at this time would be a disaster. Few of the citizenry would care, but those who did would use it to discredit them. Think about this; what major act did Riley's father enact, which is pissing of a lot of followers of Astrid? The Edict of Toleration. The Ashblades passed a law which states that Plaavans get to live and work just like humans, elves, dwarves, etc. A lot of members of Astrid's faith, especially the more militant ones, hate that law. If the Ashblades are revealed to not, in fact, be descended from Salblaze, the religious extremists, including their neighbors in Kago, will use it to discredit them and their laws, accusing them of betraying Astrid and countless other crimes besides. So yes, most of the people probably won't care, but the ones who will care are powerful religious leaders who are no doubt already looking for an excuse to discredit the king and his new laws.
    Please see my Calibas forum. P.E.A.C.H
    My homebrew thought process.
    "I have this great idea for a power/splat/merit/etc/"
    "I have no idea if this is balanced, useless, or gamebreaking."
    "I'll ask the internet"
    "The thread has died."

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm really sorry, but Athedia's right. Vet school is amazing but also amazingly difficult and I'm studying for a musculoskeletal exam tomorrow morning right now, actually. Add to it the fact that when you walk away from something for a while it can be hard to get back into that mindset again and...yeah.

To make it up to you all, some time tonight I'll post my musings on Laria and the oddly morally tricky question of their royalty.

EDIT: ok, here it is.

I wanted to explore the question of deception for a greater good with Laria. You know the trope where a false ruler takes power and ****s everything up until the true king returns and assumes his rightful place on the throne? That's the public story of the Larian Civil War (not Revolution; that's important) that took place about a century or so ago. The truth is the exact opposite.

Riley's red hair is important, and why he was so worried about the day one of his descendants has brown hair. The royal line of Laria is supposed to have red hair. They were blessed by Salblaze, and their flaming red hair is a physical mark of this blessing. It's therefore also a physical manifestation of their birthright.

At least, that was the case with the old line of kings, before they inbred themselves into incompetency, insanity, and extinction. The tendency of their advisors and servants to cater to the rulers' every whim that only got worse over time didn't help either. Elroy Ashblade shouldn't have been King--Gilbert Stonesight was the more competent man, which is why their grandchildren Riley and Mark are King and right-Hand man. Both were trained for the role. But Elroy Ashblade just happened to have, by complete genetic coincidence, fiery red hair.

To quickly end the civil war and restore stability to a country that was rapidly falling apart, they killed the last of the legitimate royal family, passed Elroy off as a distant relative who had also suffered like the citizens of Laria, and had him assume the throne with Gilbert as his advisor and arguably true power. And their descendants have lived this deception ever since.

Was it the right thing to do?
    To give a proper answer, I'm going to have to go archive binging again. It's been a while.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thumbs up Re: Murphy's Law X: I Really Need To Post A Map

Even though this is a spoof of Order of the Stick, I sometimes felt like it was a little too similar. Otherwise, I thought it was great. It focused a little too much on romance for my personal tastes, but I still thought it had good characters. The only other concern I had is that I wasn't invested in the world. Regions like "Kago" and "Tobeem" are frequently mentioned, yet I have not the slightest clue where the are, and no explanation is provided until later on. I suppose it was the same with Order of the Stick but in Order of the Stick the world wasn't as important, and was explained as quickly as it came into the story. Unless the setting of Murphy's Law is a published setting or I'm missing something, that is a small flaw. Otherwise, great job! In the newer strips there were a few typos and other errors, but besides that I didn't find any. I love the art style, and in the newer strips I actually find it equal to the current Order of the Stick art style. Sorry if I seem to be using Order of the Stick as too much of a guideline, but since your webcomic is based off of it I thought it was appropriate. I thoroughly enjoyed most parts of the webcomic, and since (I assume) you were using more limited resources such as PhotoBucket and Imgur, I think you did amazing and that Murphy's Law is an amazing webcomic. ;)
    Last edited by Ronnocius; 2016-02-26 at 11:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded, snipped View Post
    The royal line of Laria is supposed to have red hair. They were blessed by Salblaze, and their flaming red hair is a physical mark of this blessing. It's therefore also a physical manifestation of their birthright.

Elroy Ashblade shouldn't have been King--Gilbert Stonesight was the more competent man... But Elroy Ashblade just happened to have, by complete genetic coincidence, fiery red hair.
    So, does flaming red hair actually reflect Salblaze's blessing? Is Salblaze's blessing fake? Or Salblaze's blessing is real, just that at some point other disadvantages (such as those caused by inbreeding) outweigh the advantages of Salblaze's blessing?
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-02-28 at 02:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnocius View Post
    The only other concern I had is that I wasn't invested in the world. Regions like "Kago" and "Tobeem" are frequently mentioned, yet I have not the slightest clue where the are, and no explanation is provided until later on. I suppose it was the same with Order of the Stick but in Order of the Stick the world wasn't as important, and was explained as quickly as it came into the story. Unless the setting of Murphy's Law is a published setting or I'm missing something, that is a small flaw.
    So... what you're saying is that CoffeeIncluded really needs to post a map?

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

No blatantly unoriginal bucket of water?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I enjoyed these. I hope more is coming.

13. - Top - End - #253

Well, the spring semester should be ending relatively soon. We'll see how things pick up after then.

14. - Top - End - #254

She is done with her finals on Tuesday, but also has a research grant over the summer. I can say for certain she hasn't forgotten the comic though so don't worry.

15. - Top - End - #255

I didn't know about the research grant; congrats on that if you pass through here, Coffee. I definitely do know she hasn't forgotten about this, though.

16. - Top - End - #256

I think that's what it was. She mentioned it about a month ago to me, so my memory isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #257

Yep, my last final is tomorrow morning and I got my summer research grant too! Thank you! I should have some more free time though, thankfully.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm rereading this comic and am at page 92. How are people identifying Lloyd as a paladin of kago?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming you mean the Drow woman... just keep reading.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

No I'm talking about everything before then, for example how tinder seems to recognize him and others I can't remember.

21. - Top - End - #261

Presumably it would be in the way that he's dressed. Paladins and other holy men tend to dress in a certain manner that can be identified with the relevant knowledge.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    Presumably it would be in the way that he's dressed. Paladins and other holy men tend to dress in a certain manner that can be identified with the relevant knowledge.
    Paladins wear holy symbols, and in fact cannot hide or cover them up in any fashion. They're warriors of light and everybody around had better know it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

As far as i'm aware at least, all (or at least most) Paladins are from Kago. So it's not that they are identifying him as a Paladin of Kago, it's that they see he is a Paladin, and automatically jump to the conclusion that he must be from Kago as a result. It'd be a pretty safe bet if most human paladins in the world were in fact Kago.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

It's also his ethnicity and (though it's not visible in comic format) his accent.

25. - Top - End - #265

Ah, you grace us with your presence once again! Any idea on when we might see new comics? Perhaps as a christmas present?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

I enjoy the comic, hope to see some more soon!
    Last edited by JobsforFun; 2017-02-07 at 10:19 AM.

"Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps" Comic #817

Avatar drawn by: Honest Tiefling

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

So this isn't dead? YES!

Also, I wonder if thread necromancy isn't a problem. I guess not, seeing as this is your comic.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #268

She isn't dead and the two campaigns she is currently running are at their end stages. However she is entering her 3rd year of vet school which is a... rather stressful time. Don't worry, she knows about her story.

29. - Top - End - #269

This is a pretty long-running institution, and Coffee's a pretty long-standing member of the boards, so I think this thread is given a bit more leeway in regards to resurrection compared to others.

30. - Top - End - #270

Thank you, and yes Athedia is right. I haven't even been able to read for pleasure the past few months because of how busy I am. I promise, one way or another, you will know how this all ends.

Thank you, though. I really do appreciate it. And I do have something in mind...
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2017-04-11 at 11:47 PM.