New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Amerhikan Wasteland (an Exodus Setting)

I am so happy *sniff*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Following the end of the Sengoku Period (Warring States Era) with Ieyasu Tokugawa in control of Japan, he and his son/grandson solidified their relatively uncontested and (sorta) peaceful rule.

During the rule of Ieyasu's grandson, Iemitsu Tokugawa, a policy of "Sakoku" was instituted. Fears of corruption from European powers (At the time well-founded) caused the country of Japan to close itself off from the rest of the world. Exports and imports to foreign nations were canceled, and all Japanese who were outside the country at the time of the edict were no longer to be considered japanese. Any ships that were caught smuggling goods or people in or out of Japan would be scuttled and the entire crew put to death.

Fast forward +200 years, when America was getting into the swing of Imperialism like Britain, France, Italy, etc had been doing. This is the mid-1800's and most of our imperial desires were focused on making America stretch from ocean to ocean (Manifest Destiny) but as a country there was still the new desire or push get access to foreign imports, especially if those imports could be made exclusive to America.

Thus Sakoku ended when after years and several incidences of trying to open Japan to trade by less ****-ish methods ended when America parked quite a bit of it's navy offshore, pointed the cannons in and told Japan "Open the door or we blast it open!"

Thus leading to the Meiji Reformation/Restoration, Japan getting a crash course in world affairs (A bad crash course...) and all the messes from that.

Your alternate history...what would happen if not the situations where America forced Japan onto the world stage at gunpoint?

The other option is one of the other European powers...except the reason for Sakoku was Japan's Proximity to China, and at the time Britain had gained quite a lot of control in China by turning a lot of the collective population into crack-whores, (Opium. Not even once) as well as spreading the very destabilizing influence of Christianity.

How else would Sakoku have ended...or assuming it had never gone into effect, how would Japan have changed with the constant presence of the world at large? Sakoku ended up locking Japan culturally into the end of the Sengoku period, with Samurai and fairly good muskets. Which is largely why they were caught so off-guard by the 1800's cause the rest of the world had rifles, pistols, cannons and loads of more advanced stuff then their powder muskets and Katana's.

Something to debate...probably be better to do it in person but if somebody here has a good "alternate" version of how this scenario went down, throw you're 2 cents in.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Ill be honest, my knowledge of Japanese history is very rudimentary, but it could very easily be that Amerhika was just more persuasive in this timeline or just had something Japan could use *cough* rifles *cough* Also they could have just pointed out "hey if you say no to us, Britain could be next, and look what they did to China". Im sure someone more learned could probably have a better version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

So for those who're wanting a bit of information, the playtest of this system has been going quite well.

Recent mission and first "true fight" involved looking for a previous team of explorers who disappeared into an abandoned cheese-factory.

Our scout/elf went in first and heard a raspy-voice going "help me..."

Logic telling him that the previous team had been missing for 4 days and there's no way they'd still be alive, he backed out and the entire group went in, guns akimbo.

Traveling through the cheese factory into the 2nd warehouse, one of the NPC's had a cutscene death (From behind you hear "WHAT THE FU-" and he disappears") and we suddenly have 2 voices on either side of the group saying "help me..."

Everyone is tense and on overwatch when I take off the gasmask (Cheese factory left to rot for 70+ years...) and say "If you're a sapient being (couldn't say human cause there's more than just humans in this setting) say something besides 'Help me'!"

Silence for a few moments followed by a neutral/slightly cheerful "hello"

I wasn't aware that my request could have an answer THAT wrong, but boy-howdy was that a freaking WRONG answer.

Soon enough the things inside the factory show themselves and I will give Blackhawk credit. He didn't go with 'dog-sized cockroaches'

Instead we are in a nest of HUMAN sized cockroaches that can imitate human speech like a parrot to better hunt prey (us) and fold their fore-legs around their heads to make a very VERY creepy disguise check to appear human in dim-lighting.

Yes, we are suddenly in the setting for the old Sci-fi horror movie "mimic" except we had molotov cocktails and Automatic weapons. There's a reason why horror movies don't, but SHOULD, let survivors have access to machine-guns and flammable materials.

We get out of there and make it to a ram-shackle survivor settlement. A settlement that is under threat of imminent raider attack. Current plan that the group came up with now involves a "Briar-patch" plan:

"Oh please don't hurt us mister bandits, we're so scared of you! If you don't hurt us, we'll tell you where we stockpile our food, money, bullets, etc! It's all in a cheese factory just a little ways away from here!"

God in heaven this is gonna be fun. I'll update more after next session next week.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by janusmaxwell View Post
    So for those who're wanting a bit of information, the playtest of this system has been going quite well.

Recent mission and first "true fight" involved looking for a previous team of explorers who disappeared into an abandoned cheese-factory.

Our scout/elf went in first and heard a raspy-voice going "help me..."

Logic telling him that the previous team had been missing for 4 days and there's no way they'd still be alive, he backed out and the entire group went in, guns akimbo.

Traveling through the cheese factory into the 2nd warehouse, one of the NPC's had a cutscene death (From behind you hear "WHAT THE FU-" and he disappears") and we suddenly have 2 voices on either side of the group saying "help me..."

Everyone is tense and on overwatch when I take off the gasmask (Cheese factory left to rot for 70+ years...) and say "If you're a sapient being (couldn't say human cause there's more than just humans in this setting) say something besides 'Help me'!"

Silence for a few moments followed by a neutral/slightly cheerful "hello"

I wasn't aware that my request could have an answer THAT wrong, but boy-howdy was that a freaking WRONG answer.

Soon enough the things inside the factory show themselves and I will give Blackhawk credit. He didn't go with 'dog-sized cockroaches'

Instead we are in a nest of HUMAN sized cockroaches that can imitate human speech like a parrot to better hunt prey (us) and fold their fore-legs around their heads to make a very VERY creepy disguise check to appear human in dim-lighting.

Yes, we are suddenly in the setting for the old Sci-fi horror movie "mimic" except we had molotov cocktails and Automatic weapons. There's a reason why horror movies don't, but SHOULD, let survivors have access to machine-guns and flammable materials.

We get out of there and make it to a ram-shackle survivor settlement. A settlement that is under threat of imminent raider attack. Current plan that the group came up with now involves a "Briar-patch" plan:

"Oh please don't hurt us mister bandits, we're so scared of you! If you don't hurt us, we'll tell you where we stockpile our food, money, bullets, etc! It's all in a cheese factory just a little ways away from here!"

God in heaven this is gonna be fun. I'll update more after next session next week.
    This has to be canon. I mean, this cannot NOT be canon. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Well they are shaping the fluff for for their particular A.R.C., so this will be canon for that. I was actually gonna post a sit rep about our session but im not really surprised that janus beat me to it.

Also we now finally have a race idea for asia. The Oni (this is still not their firm name). Basically Tieflings, but with different stats, not sure what they are gonna be yet, but im working on it.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

For some reason, I had this really weird thought of "Oni" being +2 STR and +2 CHA. If I had to say why...I get this weird image in my head of Oni being physically fit, and their overall appearance being "exotic" looking rather than monstrous or devilish. My own limited understanding of Oni is that can have many horns sticking out of their heads in various spots, skin colors can range from pink to brown to pitch black, blue, green and red, and are usually savage fanged giants....

Oh my god I'm a goddamn genius! Ancient japan history has a similar issue with the native "Ainu" that Americans had/have with the Indians. Keeping with the whole "all races can interbreed" have the Pure-blooded Ainu be the Oni's from Japanese myth (a minority) and the predominant Oni culture simply be a mix of traits/racial stuff from humans/dwarves/elves that interbred with the Oni...make it mostly elven to explain the CHA.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Now that the race issue has been dealt with (more or less) im starting to work on various Factions, our playtest is going on in the Midwest so thats were im starting, also the southwest is pretty much done because i am shamelessly stealing most of the factions from Exodus. Heres the two ive got so far

The Family
    think 1930s Chicago Mobsters mixed with the Harkonen family from Dune and you've got the Family. Completely ruthless, absolutely horrifying and EVERYTHING is an option.

The Metal Militia
    A pseudo-religous/paramilitary group. As their name suggests they are big on Metal music, as well as all forms of Rock n Roll. They started out as a small group of bikers and have blossomed into a large organization whose primary goal is protecting wasteland towns and innocents. While united in cause and name they are actually made up of dozens of smaller "gangs" these number from as few as 3 people to well over 100 and most are named after songs or bike gangs. While they are partially religious it isnt a requirement to join. They believe that Metal music, specifically Heavy, Power and Symphonic metals tell us all how to live our lives with honor. Their motto is "Honor, Loyalty, Brotherhood" this is joking turned into "Booze, Sex, and Metal" by the less serious members of the Militia, though never around an Iron Priest.

So thats what ive got so far, as always im open to more ideas.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Falloutioli, Falloutioli, give me the Vaultioli.

Seriously, there aren't any major history twists here, save the inclusion of fantasy beings. And you've got those Arks(Vaults). Can I put on a vault suit, grab the Maria, and start pwning the Wastelands while using a mod to give me better moustaches?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Now that the race issue has been dealt with (more or less) im starting to work on various Factions, our playtest is going on in the Midwest so thats were im starting, also the southwest is pretty much done because i am shamelessly stealing most of the factions from Exodus. Heres the two ive got so far

The Family
    think 1930s Chicago Mobsters mixed with the Harkonen family from Dune and you've got the Family. Completely ruthless, absolutely horrifying and EVERYTHING is an option.

The Metal Militia
    A pseudo-religous/paramilitary group. As their name suggests they are big on Metal music, as well as all forms of Rock n Roll. They started out as a small group of bikers and have blossomed into a large organization whose primary goal is protecting wasteland towns and innocents. While united in cause and name they are actually made up of dozens of smaller "gangs" these number from as few as 3 people to well over 100 and most are named after songs or bike gangs. While they are partially religious it isnt a requirement to join. They believe that Metal music, specifically Heavy, Power and Symphonic metals tell us all how to live our lives with honor. Their motto is "Honor, Loyalty, Brotherhood" this is joking turned into "Booze, Sex, and Metal" by the less serious members of the Militia, though never around an Iron Priest.

So thats what ive got so far, as always im open to more ideas.
    You appear to have gotten some NCR and Brotherhood of Steel in your Followers of the Apocalypse. Might want to get that looked at.

Also, the mafia has been done. By a lot of things.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStone93 View Post
    You appear to have gotten some NCR and Brotherhood of Steel in your Followers of the Apocalypse. Might want to get that looked at.

Also, the mafia has been done. By a lot of things.
    That is true, though there is a Brotherhood look alike called the Iron Templars.

Also true, but i wanted mutants led by Baron Harkonen, and this is what i got.

Also this is serious Thread Necromancy, i think i may need to Reincarnate this thread....
    Show