New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: What did Malack do that made Nale hate him so much?

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I wonder how old the Empire of Blood is. Maybe this was part of Nale first betraying the Empire and wanting himself to rule... though I don't know **** about that, so I could be and am probably entirely wrong in that speculation.
    With how quickly empires "fall" in the Western Continent, and given that Tyrinaria was where the Empire of Blood is now only around two years ago, it can't be older than that.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

...I still don't think he was intended to be seen as anything more than a pig, let alone dangerous enough that Nale should get brownie points for keeping Julia safe from him.
    It is only possible to see him as "just a pig" because physically he is a short, scrawny (assuming that, given chosen profession) kid wearing a robe. If Pompey was a hulking, drooling brute, and carried weapons or armor, "creepy" and "dangerous" would jump right out at you.

People can be dangerous without looking dangerous. (Never mind the existence of magic. He cast--and therefore prepared--a still silent animate rope! *shudder* Definitely a creep.)
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2014-07-24 at 11:08 AM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

That said, frankly, I think presuming Nale would have said "No" had Pompey asked, "Can I rape her while we're waiting for your brother to get here?" is giving Nale credit he in no way earned. Pompey didn't, whether because he chose not to or because Nale chose not to let him or because Rich chose not to go there or think about it; assuming that the reason is entirely Option 2 and not at all Option 1 or Option 3 is just an assumption.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

As it was set up, Malack was set to inherit Tarquin's successful scheme after his passing. There have been plenty of murders based on inheritance all through time.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClacky View Post
    As it was set up, Malack was set to inherit Tarquin's successful scheme after his passing. There have been plenty of murders based on inheritance all through time.
    To hear Nale tell it, he never especially cared for his father or his schemes. He didn't outright hate him as a kid, but I never got the impression that he appreciated him all that much either. Given that Tarquin's "sit back and direct from the shadows" policy is one of the things that Nale explicitly disliked about him, im skeptical that Nale would be all that upset about not being the next in line.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-07-24 at 02:18 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    To hear Nale tell it, he never especially cared for his father or his schemes. He didn't outright hate him as a kid, but I never got the impression that he appreciated him all that much either. Given that Tarquin's "sit back and direct from the shadows" policy is one of the things that Nale explicitly disliked about him, im skeptical that Nale would be all that upset about not being the next in line.
    It's possible that if Nale inherited the Empire, he would end the scheme and not continue his father's policy. With that said, looking at Nale's attitude toward his father giving him things, I think Nale would much prefer to conquer the Empire from his father than to inherit it.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It's possible that if Nale inherited the Empire, he would end the scheme and not continue his father's policy. With that said, looking at Nale's attitude toward his father giving him things, I think Nale would much prefer to conquer the Empire from his father than to inherit it.
    Aye. And if he did "inherit" control somehow, he almost certainly would lead a military coup against whomever he was "serving" at the time the moment he got power, just to prove that he could.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Not bad. I'll bite; that is creepy, though I still don't think he was intended to be seen as anything more than a pig, let alone dangerous enough that Nale should get brownie points for keeping Julia safe from him.

Other than that feeling the need to make that note, I actually more or less pretty much just agree with you.

I wonder how old the Empire of Blood is. Maybe this was part of Nale first betraying the Empire and wanting himself to rule... though I don't know **** about that, so I could be and am probably entirely wrong in that speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That said, frankly, I think presuming Nale would have said "No" had Pompey asked, "Can I rape her while we're waiting for your brother to get here?" is giving Nale credit he in no way earned. Pompey didn't, whether because he chose not to or because Nale chose not to let him or because Rich chose not to go there or think about it; assuming that the reason is entirely Option 2 and not at all Option 1 or Option 3 is just an assumption.
    Oh, definitely agreed. Pompey's a creep, but Julia emerging from their custody unscathed wins Nale no points.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

What did Malack do that made Nale hate him so much?
    Malack (helping Nale with his theology homework): No Nale, the most powerful deity in the Northern Pantheon is, in fact, Odin, not you.
    (squeaky voiced 7 years old): I WILL DESTROY YOU AND ALL YOU LOVE!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post
    Malack (helping Nale with his theology homework): No Nale, the most powerful deity in the Northern Pantheon is, in fact, Odin, not you.
    BLASPHEMY! (It's Banjulhu!)

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's probably the real reason she wasn't murdered; imagine if Roy actually had found her dead; even if she could be revived, we'd be a lot less sympathetic of Nale as an overall character (who, all the way up to his death, had a handful of reasons to be liked even though he was a badguy).
    You're forgetting the fact that Nale murdered literally hundreds of Cliffport citizens as part of his plan - something that the Giant, in the WaXP commentary, explicitly states was meant to establish that he was as bad as Xykon, just much pettier in his goals and scale. I'm not sure he'd stand by that equivalence anymore, but I think it's dubious in the extreme to assume the Giant wanted the audience to regard Nale sympathetically in the Cliffport arc (to say nothing of the protagonist-centered morality involved).

As for the main question, if I had to absolutely choose between a "real" and "petty" reason for why Nale was planning Malack's death from the time he was nine, I'd go with petty just because I'm pretty sure that the primary reason Nale turned out the way he did is meant to be Tarquin. But barring a Linear Guild/Vector Legion prequel, I don't think there's any way we can ever be sure.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post
    Actually, this might be a more serious reason than it sounds. Malack does at one point say that "only fools like Nale" resist the natural order of people following the orders of their superiors. And he says Nale has "always been a fool" and regrets teaching him, or something to that effect–this could suggest that Malack tried to teach Nale humility and this made him hate Malack more than anything. (Nale being a difficult student in this respect probably made the relationship pretty antagonistic on Malack's side too)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Why'd Nale kill Malack's kids, though? I wonder what someone like Nale means when he says "never crossed my mind. Just keep them out of my way this time.".
    It's good that you linked to this comic, because it brings up a point that doesn't seem to be getting much air here. Malack's children are not actually children. Yes, he refers to them as his children, but his earlier conversation with Durkon makes it clear that he views his spawn as his children.

So it's not like Nale went out and killed a bunch of 9yo lizardfolk (or whatever the heck Malack is). He killed vampires (either thralls or free-willed, as I assume Malack might still think of them as his children even if free-willed). And the part I bolded implies that there might have been interference by them in one of Nale's plans.

Yes, I know Nale said he murdered them for practice. But it's also possible he decided to practice on them after they got in his way. Children interfere, so he kills them. Gets revenge on them AND practice in dealing with Malack.

it's also possible that this may just be one last insult to hurt Malack.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

We're talking Nale. "Overblown revenge for minor slights" Nale. Who tried to murder his brother for refusing to join his evil team. It doesn't have to be anything of significance.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2014-08-02 at 11:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

With how truly terrified Nale looks when Durkon is about to feed on him, I figured the answer is that Malack fed on Nale regularly, with Tarquin's permission. In Tarquin's mind I imagine sharing the feeding was the safest and fairest option before the whole scheme was set up.
    Awesome avatar made by Erthiz.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Colossus in the Playground

While I would never think I would defend Tarquin (and indeed, while this is from one perspective a defense of Tarquin it is from another perspective a condemnation of him), I doubt very much that Tarquin consented to giving any measure of the blood of anyone in Tarquin's personal sphere when Malack could simply hunt and kill random peasants.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

It is also possible that Nale didn't hate Malack - but his 9 year old mind set himself some task at random to focus on to avoid boredom which randomly turned out to be kill Malack, and that everything else was merely him striving towards that goal to prove to himself that he could do it.

Essentially a 'because he was there' reason.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree with those who think Nale's grudge against Malack is serious. Sure, Nale defines himself by taking disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights. But Nale's revenge against Malack is different. When he sets his plan in motion against Malack, he doesn't gloat, he doesn't mock him. There's no flourish, no attempt to establish his superiority or cleverness. There's just pure, undiluted hatred - possibly the strongest expression of that emotion by anybody in the entire comic.

Now, assuming it isn't a petty revenge we're seeing, we can only speculate as to the actual cause. We know that Nale wanted to kill Malack since he was 9 years old (the Giant usually doesn't throw out random detail like this without a reason, which is why I suspect this point will come up again at a later time). We also know that Malack was Nale's teacher. A teacher-student relationship gone bad has plenty of potential for revenge. We can imagine that Nale's wasn't an easy pupil, nor was Malack a patient mentor. It's quite possible that Malack used Domination to discipline Nale in such circumstances. We know that Nale wants his independence above all; also, he wants to be top dog at all times. Being subjected to Malack's power would be the ultimate humiliation for him, enough to provoke an eternal grudge even in a less hateful character than Nale.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2014-08-03 at 09:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Blah blah excellent post let's not chew up a page by posting it again immediately afterwards.
    I never even considered the bit about Domination. That is... honestly brilliant. HEADCANON UNLOCKED.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terrador View Post
    I never even considered the bit about Domination. That is... honestly brilliant. HEADCANON UNLOCKED.
    Oh yea when I mention domination on page one of this trend everyone is like, pft no that is daft*, but when Gwynfrid mentions it people say brilliant.

*'pft no that is daft' may mean 'that is entirely reasonable' in this case.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Oh yea when I mention domination on page one of this trend everyone is like, pft no that is daft*, but when Gwynfrid mentions it people say brilliant.

Your swordsage skills must be LEGENDARY.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post

Quit trying to take credit.

(Seriously though, I like it. Points to both of you, it's very fitting with Nale, Malack, and Tarquin most likely not caring all that much. Heck, he probably liked Nale acting 'proper' for once.)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hm, looks like I skimmed through the thread a little to fast. Can't really call that ninja'ing in this case. Oh well.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

A fear/hatred of being dominated could explain him wanting to specialize in enchantment magic, beyond the complicated pseudo-bard gag.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)