New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: looking for input on my lv6 sorcerer please

Wow.
    I get now why it would cast it after my turn, because since its plain invisibility, I dispell it by performing pretty much any kind of aggressive move.

2. - Top - End - #32

DwarfClericGuy

Putting a competence bonus to spellcraft on the runestaff would help, but getting the party cleric to use Wield Skill on me may be more useful. Since the bonus is the same type and its a +10, it will be a while until I can top a +10 by using the staff instead.

3. - Top - End - #33

DwarfClericGuy

So I just realized that my wand of power word pain won't work once I take my first level in incant and ban enchantment. What would be a better 1st level spell for an eternal wand?

My first level spells are-magic missile, lesser orb of fire, grease, expedious retreat.

Kobold spell like ability-nerveskitter

Eternal wand-benign transposition
    Eternal wand-????

Nerveskitter is awesome on a wand, however wands can be swapped, and spells retrained. The spell like ability I'm stuck with. And IMO nerveskitter is the best one to be married to.

The gnome sorcerer in the party is an illusionist so silent image isn't necessary and protection from evil can be covered by the cleric.maybe put expedious retreat on a wand and take a different spell known?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Actually, Nerveskitter is a pretty poor choice for your SLA -- the kobold SLA autoscales with HD for CL, so ideally you want to pick something that depends on CL. Mage Armor is a pretty good choice, once you get to the level where you no longer need all three castings, you can share with someone else in your party. I like Hoard Gullet, and since you have to end the spell to retrieve things, so multiple castings is good. One of my other favorites (it doesn't really benefit from the CL except against SR, but still) is Silent Image. Getting it as a SLA means no components, so you don't have pesky casters just telling their side that you cast an illusion.

Neverskitter is great on a wand though. I get a staff with two wand chambers, and enchant one side with Eager/Warning, and the other side with Defending (I know this isn't an option for you yet, but I like to be forward thinking). I stick a wand of Nerveskitter in one side, and a wand of Wings of Cover in the other one.

If you need one more wand slot, you can use a MW Feycraft Buckler for a third wand.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

5. - Top - End - #35

DwarfClericGuy

That was the only thing about nerveskitter as a SLA that bothered me. I may just put it on the wand and take mage armor, as i have a BOH for lugging around stuff indefinately for ancestral relic already.

I was doing some math regarding persistent spell. My guy isn't going to be a dedicated persister, I just want to lightly invest into using it since its there and we have a cleric with buff spells and a large party. So for me to persist a level 1 spell I have a 39 DC to spellcraft. The soonest I can use cooperative metamagic is level 8. At that time my spell craft check looks like this:
    11 ranks
    2 from KA
    1 from int
    5 from item familiar
    2 from MW tools

That's 21.

If I take 10 that's 31. I need to come up with 8 more somehow.

I could wait til level 10 to get persistent spell. And grab something else at level 7 like. Practical MM for my empower spell. Waiting would give me another +4.
    I know there are spells that give a bonus to a skill but its usually just for one check.

If all else fails, I could get a custom item of spell craft bonus for +8 for 6400gp. It'll be 2 levels before I can even use it anyway, I could believably gain some gold by then and buy it.

EDIT-- I could keep concentration and spell craft maxed as I level and try to get 5 ranks in UMD for another +2 on SC checks.
    Last edited by bjoern; 2014-07-28 at 01:12 PM. Reason: edit

6. - Top - End - #36

HalflingPirate

Buy a wand of Wieldskill and ask your cleric to use it on you before buffing. 750gp = +10 to the check

The UMD synergy only applies to scrolls, so that isn't worth pursuing for this. It is pretty easy to get a +5 from the Paragnostic Assembly.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    So I just realized that my wand of power word pain won't work once I take my first level in incant and ban enchantment. What would be a better 1st level spell for an eternal wand?
    Anyone capable of casting arcane spells can use any eternal wand, regardless of what spell it contains or whether or not it's on their class spell list or in one of their prohibited schools. You can't activate spell trigger items of enchantment spells once it's banned, but an eternal wand is command-activated. You can use an eternal wand of Hound of Doom (CW), or of Glibness, even if you have only a single level of Duskblade or similar, as long as you can cast arcane spells you can use any eternal wand.

8. - Top - End - #38

DwarfClericGuy

So I could just get an eternal wand of wield skill and use it myself for 820gp. I can coop 4 spells and MM effect 4 spells. So 4 eternal wands should do it for 3280 gp total.

Also, thanks for pointing that out about eternal wands. I had no idea that it was different , is everything else the same? I know a spell trigger doesn't provoke AoO. But does a command activated? Does it still use spell casting time or is it a standard acyion?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    So I could just get an eternal wand of wield skill and use it myself for 820gp. I can coop 4 spells and MM effect 4 spells. So 4 eternal wands should do it for 3280 gp total.
    No, you can only put arcane spells on eternal wands, Wieldskill is only on the Cleric list. It has to appear on an arcane spell list to make an eternal wand from it, and you have to use the arcane spell level for its price.

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

Dang. If I use a regular wand it would last me 6 days. However, I think that it is a better short term solution than an item of +10 SC for 10k gp. Since it would take about 80 days for it to pay off compared to a bunch of wands.
    Unless.....I change my ancestral relic to a staff of +10 SC, buff, then change it back.....wow that thing is like a swiss army knife.

Edit- for that matter anytime a party member needs to make a skill check for anything out of combat just toss them the staff for a free +10 or more
    Last edited by bjoern; 2014-07-28 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edit

11. - Top - End - #41

HalflingPirate

Wieldskill has a duration long enough to cover you at 1 charge per day.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfClericGuy

"The subject gains a +10 competence bonus on a skill check of your choice."

Since it says skill check, and not skill, it makes me think that its a one time check bonus.

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfClericGuy

I was thinking about trying to use celerity at least to some degree, I won't be as proficient with it since I've got a few other things going on here's what I've got so far.

Will have to hit level 10 before this strategy will work. Retrain a first level feat, probably fiery spell since I'll be getting practical empower, into quick recovery. I must do this just to get a chance to roll the dice.

At level 10 my CL will be 11 (greater draconic rites at level 9) so celeritys DC is 10+1/2CL+cha bonus=19
    My bonuses at level 10 for this are:
    Base will save +9
    Wisdom -3
    Iron will +2
    Party persisted recitation: luck +2
    Persisted ruin delvers fortune: +4
    Total: +14, means that I fail on a roll of 1,2,3, or 4. I'm good with that if its the best that I can get.

Pros to this method: celerity yay!!

Cons:
    Uses up a level 4 casting from my ancestral relic for the day (3200gp-6400gp depending on if I decide to persist the other 2 saves from RDF also) making the item less useful for the rest of the day.

Uses up precious level 4 spell slots for the day that I will only have 6 total of.

Any other ways that I can bump my will save apart from RDF? its an awesome spell but at level 10 its a substantial part of my repetoir.
    Note --boosting charisma for RDF won't help since it also bumps the DC for celerity.

I don't intend on breaking the game with the spell. I just want to be able to act if things get out of hand and I need to bring things under control.