New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It provided extremely little benefit, basically.
    Hmm, is it possible to get a bit more info? I'm running through DS2 with a near pure Dex spear build and I've gotten through at least 1/3 of the game with no problems.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be fair, Strike damage is very good in PVE. Craftsman's hammer all day.
    ~ZA

3. - Top - End - #933
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Hmm, is it possible to get a bit more info? I'm running through DS2 with a near pure Dex spear build and I've gotten through at least 1/3 of the game with no problems.
    It's a complex thing to untangle, really. You have to consider that unlike in DS1 and DS3, scaling in DS2 was independent of a weapon's base damage. Instead of being based on the product of the relevant base damage component/a multiplier for that kind of scaling/a multiplier for your investment in the corresponding stat, it was based entirely on the product of a multiplier for that kind of scaling and the corresponding derived damage component explicitly listed on your sheet. In any case, the correspondence between multipliers and letter grades didn't work the same way for Dexterity scaling as it did for anything else. S scaling for Dexterity only guaranteed you at least 60% of your Dex Damage stat to AR, rather than 100% like most of the other scaling categories. (Infusing to a different element than is already on a weapon gives worse scaling than expected for a letter, while infusing to the same element already on a weapon gives even better scaling than expected for a letter.) But this doesn't actually matter so much (despite the complaining) precisely because, as above, scaling was independent of base damage. In general higher multipliers have gone to slower/more powerful weapons to keep things roughly balanced by DPS, and because Dex-based weapons had previously been focusing instead on speed they didn't need the bigger power multipliers. I'm guessing that From came up with a balanced set of multipliers ahead of time, and simply shifted the scale on Dex-based weapons because otherwise they'd almost all be indistinguishable C's and D's.

TLDR: The internal multipliers are balanced for how the weapon system actually works, but the presentation of such confused people who were used to DS1's presentation of the numbers.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Halfling in the Playground

Pontiff Sulyvahn is a butt.

That is all.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    Pontiff Sulyvahn is a butt.

That is all.
    Oh, you can parry him...

... but I usually just bring anothet guy to distract him. Honestly, It's the boss I find the most difficult except for the option one.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

Fun fact: I recently finished downloading Dark Souls 3 and can finally play it.

Knowing me, I'm probably going to go a str build first and get a certain UGS I have in mind, but other than that knowing that respects exist, I'm probably gonna go in fully blind and deprived for the giggles.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Oh, you can parry him...

... but I usually just bring anothet guy to distract him. Honestly, It's the boss I find the most difficult except for the option one.
    Yeah, I figured out the parry thing. Problem is, I'm having a hard time predicting which move he's going to use, causing me too either parry to early or too late.

I sort of decided that I want to beat all the bosses on my own, so I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and grind him over and over again. Definitely the hardest boss so far, though the abyss watchers were no joke either.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    I sort of decided that I want to beat all the bosses on my own, so I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and grind him over and over again. Definitely the hardest boss so far, though the abyss watchers were no joke either.
    Let me guess: You're using a heavy weapon two handed. Abysswatchers are probably one of the easiest bosses, if you're using a fast weapon.

But yeah, pontiff is a pain, if you can't parry him. On my first run, when I ran into him, I had to break my rule of not using a shield. Partially blocking his attacks is still better than to keep rolling into them and then be staggered long enough to eat the follow up hit

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One thing I found with Pontiff is that he actually gets easier in his second phase. Whenever I fight him, I go ham on him early and try to get him into that second phase as quickly as possible, even at the cost of losing estus flasks to do so. Once I'm past the first phase I can almost always beat him, since his attacks leave a lot more openings and he gives a lot more chances to recover from his attacks.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sulyvahn took me only a couple of tries after I figured out how to walk behind him in the middle of his combos. He doesn't turn around until he's finished with them, and his back is just completely wide open for the whacking. Couple that with getting most of the health off his shadow while he summons it, and he's not bad at all. Just make sure that you're away from him when he's going into his second phase so you don't get stunned into giving him a free shadow summoning.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

I should have also mentioned this, but completely forgot to: I've been streaming regularly recently, and as of last night I have finally started playing the game. I had to re-download it due to a faulty download, but it works now and I'm as happy as a clam.

My upload quality's kinda crap, but I can't do much to change that unfortunately. I'm waiting until Google Fiber *hopefully* comes to my area, then I'll work with my mom to upgrade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I went deprived, naturally. I've beaten the black ooze halberd boss and the frost knight dog, and I've been getting strong hints via the messages that killing the old lady in that cathedral will start what I presume is the Dancer boss fight.

Also, OH GOD BLACK OOZE MONSTERS WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED THIS TIME?!?!?

Right now though I'm in this undead village shanty town filled with farmers, assassins, and these douchebag fat priest guys hitting like trucks and tanking with their blubberous mass, not to mention that spell they cast. I kinda really don't like them.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Something neat I just found out from the Demon Ruins:

Spoiler: Demon Ruins
    Show

If you lure the Black Knight with the greataxe out from his secret room, he'll fight anything. And because his axe is so powerful, chances are he'll win. He can curbstomp that long corridor with the fire mages in all by himself, and if you manage to pull him all the way to the second black night with the greatsword, they will also fight each other.

There's something joyous about having two Black Knights stab each other half to death and then finishing off the winner with a single poke.

13. - Top - End - #943

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Something neat I just found out from the Demon Ruins:

Spoiler: Demon Ruins
    Show

If you lure the Black Knight with the greataxe out from his secret room, he'll fight anything. And because his axe is so powerful, chances are he'll win. He can curbstomp that long corridor with the fire mages in all by himself, and if you manage to pull him all the way to the second black night with the greatsword, they will also fight each other.

There's something joyous about having two Black Knights stab each other half to death and then finishing off the winner with a single poke.
    If you like chaos:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ember up in the Crucifixion Woods, you'll be invaded by Heysel. Don't kill her, wait until you also get a Watchdogs of Farron invasion. She will also fight them, meaning you can have the kind of three way battles that Mound Makers were supposed to produce.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    If you like chaos:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ember up in the Crucifixion Woods, you'll be invaded by Heysel. Don't kill her, wait until you also get a Watchdogs of Farron invasion. She will also fight them, meaning you can have the kind of three way battles that Mound Makers were supposed to produce.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you're at it there's a sign for summoning Holy Knight Hodrick as well, head for the nearby ruins from the bonfire in the middle of the place, should be to the left.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you're at it there's a sign for summoning Holy Knight Hodrick as well, head for the nearby ruins from the bonfire in the middle of the place, should be to the left.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Be careful with this one though, he his super hard, so much so that he can one-shot you in later NG cycles.
    ~ZA

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

*grump grump I'm stuck in DS III grump*

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the only vaguely clear direction I've got to go in now is defeating the Boreal Dancer so I can supposedly open up some kind of shortcut to a new area. I've made it all the way to the Boreal Valley, but there's a barrier up that doesn't let me pass without a doll. Should I keep going for the Dancer and see where the game takes me then, or is there another direction/place I can go? Please try to keep your answer as spoiler-light as possible. I'm going through blind, I'm just a little stumped.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    *grump grump I'm stuck in DS III grump*

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the only vaguely clear direction I've got to go in now is defeating the Boreal Dancer so I can supposedly open up some kind of shortcut to a new area. I've made it all the way to the Boreal Valley, but there's a barrier up that doesn't let me pass without a doll. Should I keep going for the Dancer and see where the game takes me then, or is there another direction/place I can go? Please try to keep your answer as spoiler-light as possible. I'm going through blind, I'm just a little stumped.
    Spoiler
    Show

There's a path in crucifixion woods aside from the one that takes you down into the swamp.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2016-07-02 at 06:24 AM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

There's a path in crucifixion woods aside from the one that takes you down into the swamp.
    Thanks. I'll take a look when I hop into the game again.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

If it helps any, I got stuck in the exact same area. It's not as obvious a path as the main way through the Crucifixion Woods.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad to know great minds stumble alike?

21. - Top - End - #951

tongue Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

I just beat Dark Souls 2! Since I did so by wearing a garish looking outfit, I've decided to give my choice of fashion in the sequel to this forum because it can't possibly turn out to be worse than 3/4 of the Smelter Demon set + a helmet an enemy in No Man's Wharf dropped. If it does turn out worse than that, it's fine. I plan on joining the Mound-Makers.

I'm only accepting one armor piece from each person, state multiple ones and I'll select randomly from between them. This entire setup is partly intended to make the game more challenging for myself. Relatively early game armors would be preferred, so I can assemble my outfit reasonably fast.

Spoiler: Outfit (1/4 complete)
    Show

Head: Xanthous Crown - Daedalus Mk V
    Body: TBD
    Arm: TBD
    Leg: TBD

Spoiler: For next thread (Sorry if it opened sore feelings...)
    Show
    I would also like to be added to the player list.
    Gamertag: I got the game on Steam, so I'm 90% sure that it's the game I use on Steam, which is "turboghast1".
    Console: PC

EDIT: Nobody else is responding to this and I'm close to being able to run DS3, if I get far enough in the game I'm going to try to make a Fashion Souls myself with the equipment already added.

EDIT2: Okay, running a modern game on a VM is way harder than I thought. I have no clue how close I am to playing DS3 and / or DS1 now.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2016-08-12 at 12:12 AM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So I just bought the original Dark souls on Steam, and installed it, and now it won't start, anyone know why, I've tried reinstalling a few times and am now convinced that won't work.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Gamertag: I got the game on Steam, so I'm 90% sure that it's the game I use on Steam, which is "turboghast1".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately the OP has, sadly, passed away, so edits to the first post will not be possible until this thread is remade.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just beat Dark Souls 2! Since I did so by wearing a garish looking outfit, I've decided to give my choice of fashion in the sequel to this forum because it can't possibly turn out to be worse than 3/4 of the Smelter Demon set + a helmet an enemy in No Man's Wharf dropped. If it does turn out worse than that, it's fine. I plan on joining the Mound-Makers.

I'm only accepting one armor piece from each person, state multiple ones and I'll select randomly from between them. This entire setup is partly intended to make the game more challenging for myself.

Spoiler: Outfit
    Show

Head: TBD
    Body: TBD
    Arm: TBD
    Leg: TBD

Heh I've been trying to beat DS2 I'd been playing it while I had no internet so some of the bosses where kicking my ass, at which point I got the internet back and decided to check what the covenant of champions actually did. Needless to say that was quickly abandoned even if I was near tier 2 for it and now I'm up to the Fume Knight who's kicking my ass thanks to his second phase whose spinning slash I've yet to figure out how to dodge.

The Sleeping one was fun though I've always though the Kalmeet had to much health and this one had a nice amount. (Fume is just a worse Artorias though.)

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Heh I've been trying to beat DS2 I'd been playing it while I had no internet so some of the bosses where kicking my ass, at which point I got the internet back and decided to check what the covenant of champions actually did. Needless to say that was quickly abandoned even if I was near tier 2 for it and now I'm up to the Fume Knight who's kicking my ass thanks to his second phase whose spinning slash I've yet to figure out how to dodge.

The Sleeping one was fun though I've always though the Kalmeet had to much health and this one had a nice amount. (Fume is just a worse Artorias though.)
    The key to Fume Knight is to get your Fire resistance as high as possible and make sure that you have no more than 60% equip load and a decent amount of roll invincibility. 92 agility is the absolute minimum to have anything other than a nightmare fighting him, really. After that, just make sure that you always roll into his attacks and you'll do fine. The sweeping fire slash is actually one of the easier moves to dodge if you have enough Agility to I-frame through the whole thing.

Fume Knight is easily the hardest boss in the entire Souls series (with the possible exception of Ancient King Doran), so don't feel bad. It took me well over 30 tries to beat the thing the first time, and I still can't do it consistently two runs later.

Edit:
    I'm only accepting one armor piece from each person, state multiple ones and I'll select randomly from between them. This entire setup is partly intended to make the game more challenging for myself.

Head= Xanthous Crown. Obviously. Available fairly early in the game (make sure to be in Embered form in the Road of Sacrifices), flawless fashion and pairs well with any other armour you could want to wear.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2016-07-27 at 01:27 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

My agility is up at 92 so that's alright, the spinning Flame slash is actually the only thing he really kills me with. I can no hit everyone of his moves up until then but as soon as he pulls that one out I usually get instakilled.
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2016-07-27 at 01:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

A'ight, I decided to pick up DS3 again (took a bit of a break) and found that path.
    Spoiler: Spoilery Stuff
    Show
    Not knowing where to go, I decided to explore the Demon Ruins s'more. Cleared out the area, keep getting hinted at that someone important dies in a specific spot. Dunno who, but I'll probably find out somehow.

I got my FUGS (so happy) and now I just need to get my Str up high enough so that not only does it do more damage than my current weapon (Vordt's Great Hammer), but I'll actually be able to wield the damn thing.

I decided to take on the Dancer and the Old Demon King after I've leveled a bit, and kept heading down the path through the Crystal Sage boss fight.

Got to the Cathedral of the Deep, hacked through it and dealt with the first area's general annoyingness, and got the ladder that looped back to the bonfire, and I've got me that Giant (whom I presume to be the boss) to slay.

Dada-da-dada-Dark, Souls!

28. - Top - End - #958

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Fume Knight is easily the hardest boss in the entire Souls series (with the possible exception of Ancient King Doran), so don't feel bad. It took me well over 30 tries to beat the thing the first time, and I still can't do it consistently two runs later.
    PSA: Fume Knight is a fantastic place to farm sunbro medals also. Small area plus tough boss = many summons.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    The key to Fume Knight is to get your Fire resistance as high as possible and make sure that you have no more than 60% equip load and a decent amount of roll invincibility. 92 agility is the absolute minimum to have anything other than a nightmare fighting him, really. After that, just make sure that you always roll into his attacks and you'll do fine. The sweeping fire slash is actually one of the easier moves to dodge if you have enough Agility to I-frame through the whole thing.

Huh really? I had way more difficulty with Ornstein and Smough, Manus, and Artorias. Destroy as many of the Ashen Idols as you can, beat him up during his power up animation, and stick to his left side and be careful to only do 1 hit at an opening.

He was probably the hardest boss of DS2 though.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've never had to much trouble with O&S after my first fight with them. Manus and Art where more fun to fight but played more into my fighting style so went down easier (Although Manus on NG+ was a nightmare from what I remember). (The fight I think I've enjoyed most in the Souls series is the Abhorrent Beast in the Lower Loran Chalice.)

Anyway Fume is dead and now I'm onto Alonne who seems to have quite an irritating run up.