New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Question: what is Fashion Souls, why does it exist? Does it really not matter if you're wearing the best if the best of Armor or not?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Fashion Souls is when you put the visual appearance of your character ahead of armour stats.

I suspect the dominant reason it exists is because as long as you're not fatrolling you can and should avoid most hits entirely, and if you didn't get hit your armour doesn't matter.

My DS1 playthrough I wore Chester's Long Coat and the Thief set for maximum fashion. (If the game had any sweet hats I would have worn a sweet hat, but it kinda doesn't)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The other reason is that even if you're fatrolling, your shield is far more important than your armor. For quite a lot of bosses, if you have a greatshield and a significant amount of stamina you can beat them by just tanking most of their blows on their shield, poking them once or twice, then backing off and recovering stamina and repeating.

And in my experience at least, only heavy armor makes a difference when it comes to survivability anyway. If you're taking hits in light armor, whether your armor has 30 defense or 50 defense isn't going to change the fact that you took a giant sword to the face.

The only reasons I can think of for wearing a piece of armor you think is ugly are if it has a particular special effect you want (Pyromancy Boost, Spell speed cast increase, etc), or if you're making a PvP build and a particular set of armor lets you squeak in with the highest possible defense with a fast roll at SL150.

I'm currently running around in the Llewellyn set because it matches perfectly with Durgo's Hat and makes my archer look fabulous.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

So what you're saying is that I should wear the Heide Knight Armor purely because it has the swooshiest of capes & bucket helms FTW?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Fashion Souls in a nutshell.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

I'm partial to the Lion Warrior Helm and the Fume Sorcerer chest piece, it has a nice punky look that goes well with my character's face. The Imported Manchettes and Drakeblood Leggings round it off most of the time, but I change those two pieces out pretty regularly.

What sort of look does everyone else tend to rock?
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-10-27 at 06:00 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

I've been experimenting with different armours pretty much since I started playing Dark Souls 2. My goal is to find something that looks more-or-less like chainmail while being reasonably sturdy. I'm pretty pedantic when it comes to that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the Smelter Demon Armor for Godly Underboob.

The Desert Sorceress Set for the sheer sexiness of it.

Heide Knight Armor & Bucket Helm for that Templar style of knight armor I enjoy.

I just flat out love Vengarl's Helm.

Dark Armor Set is pretty neat.

I like the Allone Armor. It looks like European Armor had a love child with Samurai Armor (the Katana's helped a lot tbh).

Moonlight Butterfree Set for Ling of Fabulousness, cannot compete.

The faux Giant Dad set amused me. It's the manakin head & other various appropriate Giant Dad-esque armor pieces.

Side note: I wish the Bonfire sword was an actual weapon. I also wish I had such a bonfire made of fireproof Iron, and then just burn logs around it or something.
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2014-10-28 at 12:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Total Dark Armor set fanboy; really hope the Dark Hand and Dark Sword (Fume Sword/Drakekeeper is kind of that but it's not quite the same) are finally released in the rumoured 4th DLC so my cosplay can be complete.

Down with the Nahr Alma, Northwarder, King, Black, Velstadt and Agadayne's Sets.

Shadow Gauntlets and Top are awesome too, but the mask and leggings are a little too ridiculous/awkward looking.

Love the Hexer/Black Hood as headpieces go.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I like the good old classic: Elite Knight Armor. It's rare that armor looks both realistic and cool for me at once, but it manages to do that like no other.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

I like the Alva set with the various hoods in the game.

I wear Lucatiel's armor on my dual rapier build.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Started doing a small bit of PvP today to farm a few Titanite Chunks for my Greatsword.

First fight: Watch my attack pass harmlessly through the opponet 7-8 times while their attacks land on me perfectly every time.

Second fight: Die to a thrust that missed me by a good 5 feet.

Now I remember why I stopped...

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Started doing a small bit of PvP today to farm a few Titanite Chunks for my Greatsword.

First fight: Watch my attack pass harmlessly through the opponet 7-8 times while their attacks land on me perfectly every time.

Second fight: Die to a thrust that missed me by a good 5 feet.

Now I remember why I stopped...
    Yep. I stopped as well, because a combination of not having a fast enough internet plus not understanding DSII PvP hit boxes or a willingness to utilize magic kind if wrecks me every time.

I like the Iron Bridge PvP zone tho...

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Of the things that irk me about the Dark Souls series, I think the lack of freedom of movement is pretty high on the list. Waist-high piles of rubble being insurmountable obstacles are hardly unique, but in Dark Souls it's more noticeable, because both games have puzzles and mazes, and often require elaborate acrobatics to get around a barrier an able-bodied person should just climb.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the PvP latency/wonky hitboxes that are my greatest DS kryptonite.

That said, while you have a good connection it isn't that much of an issue most of the time; on the otherhand, you do often end up playing Australiasouls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jid4V3EHg6w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBtdNY433k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcqwObeuDBA

Speaking of, I really wish Fromsoft made region lock work properly for non-Japanese; as is it only serves to prevent you from connecting with Japanese (if you're outside of Japan), or from connecting with 'filthy gaijin' if you're inside Japan.

Lastly, katanas; if you ever needed (further) circumstantial evidence that Fromsoft is nationalistic, just take a look at this weapon class in every Souls game: they're always far better weapons than they have any right to be, being consistently among the fastest and most damaging in the game, and in DS2 they also feature ridiculous counter multipliers. Let's keep in mind that these are blades custom purposed to kill unarmoured peasants, are terrible against armour and were largely meant to be used as ceremonial dueling weapons/last resort side arms to the spear; about the only thing that's authentic about their stats is their consistently low durability. In DS2, even when they were already competitive, Fromsoft buffed them further, while simultaneously nerfing once rivals like greatswords and straightswords to ensure the supremacy of 'glorious nippon steel'. Only rapiers even come close to their level of ridiculousness.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Of the things that irk me about the Dark Souls series, I think the lack of freedom of movement is pretty high on the list. Waist-high piles of rubble being insurmountable obstacles are hardly unique, but in Dark Souls it's more noticeable, because both games have puzzles and mazes, and often require elaborate acrobatics to get around a barrier an able-bodied person should just climb.
    Heck, there's still an item in the Forest of Fallen Giants that I still have never gotten because I can't make the jump. It's the one in the room above the Armored Turtle with the firebomb chuckers - there's one item on a ledge that you're supposed to leap across up there, and I have never once made that jump. I'm assuming it's nothing important since I've never heard anyone talk about it, but it still irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post

Lastly, katanas; if you ever needed (further) circumstantial evidence that Fromsoft is nationalistic, just take a look at this weapon class in every Souls game: they're always far better weapons than they have any right to be, being consistently among the fastest and most damaging in the game, and in DS2 they also feature ridiculous counter multipliers. Let's keep in mind that these are blades custom purposed to kill unarmoured peasants, are terrible against armour and were largely meant to be used as ceremonial dueling weapons/last resort side arms to the spear; about the only thing that's authentic about their stats is their consistently low durability. In DS2, even when they were already competitive, Fromsoft buffed them further, while simultaneously nerfing once rivals like greatswords and straightswords to ensure the supremacy of 'glorious nippon steel'. Only rapiers even come close to their level of ridiculousness.
    To be fair, "katanas are the greatest" is hardly a Japanese-only trope. I also remember reading a lot of complaints about how katanas were nerfed from Dark Souls 1. It wasn't just one side of the pond.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    To be fair, "katanas are the greatest" is hardly a Japanese-only trope. I also remember reading a lot of complaints about how katanas were nerfed from Dark Souls 1. It wasn't just one side of the pond.
    That's because they were pretty much _the best_ in Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 2 they were _in competition_ with several other weapon classes until Fromsoft decided to needlessly buff them and nerf all of those weapon classes with the solitary exception of thrusting swords.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    That's because they were pretty much _the best_ in Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 2 they were _in competition_ with several other weapon classes until Fromsoft decided to needlessly buff them and nerf all of those weapon classes with the solitary exception of thrusting swords.
    Right, I wasn't disputing that. I'm not defending the buff just saying it wasn't just the Japanese market clamoring for them to be buffed.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

TBH, while I do remember instances of people saying that katanas were weaker than they were in DS1 (and they were, thank god) I don't recall a preponderance, or even a significant number of them also calling for katana buffs in the DS2 community. In fact, my understanding is that most people were stunned/outraged by them (among those that had an opinion).

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Australia Souls makes me cringe in amusement.

So, kind of an update where I am in the game for those who care.

While in my half-health hollowed state, I decided it was the perfect time to collect the Giants Souls (sans the one from the Ancient Dragon) and take down Vendrick. It was laughably easy with the Agility I had, just took a while.

Then I decided to do something with the Petrified Somethings & Smooth/Silky Stones & pain the baby crows a visit. But before that I talked to the fire keeper. She gave me six humanities. I'm still mad that the altar of de-hollowification still isn't working, but I am happy I can actually progress now.

Oh, and I got two copies of the Channeler's Trident which slapped a stupid pleased smile on my face. Sadly lessened because the dance isn't anything as spammable as it was in DS I, meaning Prism Stone Dance Parties can't really happen anymore. Oh well. I discovered a new path I could go in the Old Iron King's DLC Pad, but killed myself twice. Decided to call it a night after that.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

The Iron Passage in the Old King DLC seems to be a real murderfest. I've ventured there a couple of times and tied ignobly, even after summoning help.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-10-31 at 08:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Iron Passage in the Old King DLC seems to be a real murderfest. I've ventured there a couple of times and tied ignobly, even after summoning help.
    I've found that area to be bar none the hardest area of the entire game. Even including the Shrine of Amana.

I probably spent 100+ deaths there clearing the entire area just so I could fight the boss with a full set of Estus.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

The new path is NOT the Iron Passage, by the by. I'm avoiding that place like the plague. It's just going fetcher down Brume's tower, which I neglected to do.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    While in my half-health hollowed state, I decided it was the perfect time to collect the Giants Souls (sans the one from the Ancient Dragon) and take down Vendrick. It was laughably easy with the Agility I had, just took a while.

Then I decided to do something with the Petrified Somethings & Smooth/Silky Stones & pain the baby crows a visit. But before that I talked to the fire keeper. She gave me six humanities. I'm still mad that the altar of de-hollowification still isn't working, but I am happy I can actually progress now.
    Please, read my posts about rings on the previous page. Wearing a Ring of Life Protection when human and a Ring of Binding when badly hollowed will really help you lessen the frustration that DS2's humanity system is causing you.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no I did. Trust me I did. I'm probably going to do just that to be honest.

Question: is there a fast hitting high strength scaling weapon in Dark Souls II, presumably something I could use to good effect in boss fights? I've come to realize that trying to swing a big sword whose shtick is to hit like a truck AND pancake things is more effective for PvE and PvP, but not boss fights.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

The Iron Passage is optional? I suspected as much, since it has he same outside-reaching summoning chamber the optional area of the previous DLC does. If that's the case, I think I'll save it for later.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Faster weapons tend towards dex scaling, so if you're using smoosh em flat strength weapons it's gonna be more about carefully identifying your attack opportunities.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Question: is there a fast hitting high strength scaling weapon in Dark Souls II, presumably something I could use to good effect in boss fights? I've come to realize that trying to swing a big sword whose shtick is to hit like a truck AND pancake things is more effective for PvE and PvP, but not boss fights.
    Estoc, Butcher's Knife, Gargoyle Bident, Drakekeeper's Sword, Red Rust Sword, Bandit Axe, Battleaxe, Black Flamestone Dagger, Red Rust Scimitar, Red Iron Winblade, etc...

You could also use Raw Possessed Armor Sword/Black Dragon Sword/Black Dragon Greatsword/Scorpion Stinger.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

So, the first boss of the Old Iron King DLC is... another armoured knight with a big sword. Disappointing, I must say.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

So, the first boss of the Old Iron King DLC is... another armoured knight with a big sword. Disappointing, I must say.
    OIK is all about armoured dudes with swords. Plus side, they're actually very well done armoured dudes with swords.

The Ivory King has a bit more variety. Only Sunken King is completely bereft of armoured dudes with swords though.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-11-09 at 06:30 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/