New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Only Sunken King is completely bereft of armoured dudes with swords though.
    Unless you count the optional triple fight boss. Also one of the Sunken King bosses is a blatant reskin of another existing boss.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

The lack of sword-wielding armour-clad gentlemen was certainly a good part of Sunken King. The Fume Knight seems to be tough in general; I've been trying to help people fight him without any success for a while now.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The lack of sword-wielding armour-clad gentlemen was certainly a good part of Sunken King. The Fume Knight seems to be tough in general; I've been trying to help people fight him without any success for a while now.
    That's something of the secret to the Fume Knight. Like some of the bosses in the DLCs he scales up massively in co-op, to the point where you're usually better off fighting him solo. He also has a weird aggro mechanic (ignores redeye ring, auto-aggros anyone who tries to heal) which can mess with players used to being able to relying on another player drawing attention so they can back off and heal.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

I've noticed something with summoning people to help me. I only tend to actually beat boss when the guy I summon happens to be a pure caster of some kind. Although I've never had help from a Pyromancer before, Soul Magic Casters & Hexers seem to do well at damaging bosses while I roll dodge & tank the boss, occasionally getting a hit in.

I also haven't had success with defeating the Fume Knight yet, or helping others beat him for that matter.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

I managed to get him to half health fighting alone. I'll keep trying, I suppose. And yes, tanking while a caster blasts the boss with magic is depressingly effective. It has soured jolly cooperation for me a bit.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I managed to get him to half health fighting alone. I'll keep trying, I suppose. And yes, tanking while a caster blasts the boss with magic is depressingly effective. It has soured jolly cooperation for me a bit.
    Fortunately, between his massive resistance to spells and unique aggro mechanics, that tactic is absolutely terrible against the Fume Knight.

To the point he was probably designed specifically with punishing that particular tactic in mind.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

It's only sour in the fact that going into Melee with a boss (or PvP for that matter) doesn't feel as optimal/effective as being a caster of some kind. I actually kind of enjoy tanking a boss, because I like tanking things. I just wish that the differences in power between casting and Melee wasn't so sharp.

That and I wish that armor did more than just let me survive a few extra hits.

But hey, this is Dark Souls. I'm also not exactly super good at the game and only play PvE & Co-op, so perhaps I'm just being salty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I am beginning to understand what people say when they say that Demon's Souls is more atmospheric. The Tower of Latria is evil in all the most awesome ways.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

So I managed to chip the Fume Knight down to around 1/3 to 3/4 health just dodging backwards & plucking my bow at him. Didn't quite kill him sadly. Tried summoning Elly to help, but I not chipped him down to 1/3 health.

But bow souls! Kite fo' days.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

I just keep bouncing off the Fume Knight. We managed to chip him down to about 1/3 health once when I was summoned, but then he nuked me with his fireball ring. I think summoning help is more trouble than it's worth against him. But I've never managed to do more than half his health in damage before dying by myself. It honestly makes me consider just not finishing the DLC. This boss fight isn't even exciting like other murderous Dark Souls bosses are; it's just tedious.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

The fireball AoE is actually really easy to dodge. Get away enough from him so you don't get hit by the close ranged blast, and then strafe to the left, the direction in which the fireballs rotate. It helps to line up where to be in order to not get hit.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    The fireball AoE is actually really easy to dodge. Get away enough from him so you don't get hit by the close ranged blast, and then strafe to the left, the direction in which the fireballs rotate. It helps to line up where to be in order to not get hit.
    Alternatively, you can spell-parry the fireballs. With how easy spell-parries are, it's a pretty decent option. It's also by far the most stylish one.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Alternatively, you can spell-parry the fireballs. With how easy spell-parries are, it's a pretty decent option. It's also by far the most stylish one.
    As one who is not good at playing Baseball with Spells, I'll default to just dodging.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

I finally got the Fume Knight (also, is it pronounced "fume" like the fumes from a car, or "fu-me", as if you were pronouncing it in Japanese?).

Gots me a Sunbro to help with him, dodge rolling attacks, he died just at the tail end, but I finished him off. My face of satisfaction and joy when.

Going for Sir Alonne Sensei now. Inb4 Kefka says Sephiroth's op again.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

I finished Demon's Souls a few days ago. That ending was certainly weird. But I can't say I expected anything different from that game.

But wow. That Storm King?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was not expecting to by fighting a freaking Star Destroyer circling overhead.

In closing, I have to say the game wasn't nearly as hard as everyone has always made it out to be. The Armored Spider and Flamelurker were pretty insane and I only know how to beat them relying on exploits. But many of the bosses I killed on first try. If you are lucky and the first thing you try is what they are vulnerable to, most of them are really quite easy.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #256

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I finished Demon's Souls a few days ago. That ending was certainly weird. But I can't say I expected anything different from that game.

But wow. That Storm King?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was not expecting to by fighting a freaking Star Destroyer circling overhead.

In closing, I have to say the game wasn't nearly as hard as everyone has always made it out to be. The Armored Spider and Flamelurker were pretty insane and I only know how to beat them relying on exploits. But many of the bosses I killed on first try. If you are lucky and the first thing you try is what they are vulnerable to, most of them are really quite easy.

Armor Spider isn't actually too hard as long as you have a decent shield, block tank the fireballs to get up to it. Stand in front of it just out of squish range and block its leg sweeps until it does the squish, then lunge at it and get your lumps in. When it charges up its big fire breath run like stink back to the fog gate, then repeat.

Use Sticky White Stuff to maximise your deeps.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

With the Armored Spider, I think I mostly lost patience, but it seemed like a fight that could be managed with being persistent and memorizing the patterns.
    But damn, Flamelurker! The worst thing about Flamelurker is, that it takes freaking forever to get there. If I would respawn right in front of the chamber, I wouldn't be worrying to much about it. But running 10 minutes through the maze to die within 30 seconds just isn't fun at all.

Now that I think of it, can it be that the five Greater Demons at the end of each world are actually the easiest bosses? Except for
    Spoiler
    Show
    the very final boss. That one was just soo weird. I thought the maiden had betrayed me and wanted to feed me to him, but then there was just that thing in the puddle, and I shot it with 10 arrows and it was dead. Never tried any ranged attacks at me, nor did it move away from it's spot. Is it supposed to be basically the easiest enemy in the entire game?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #258

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    With the Armored Spider, I think I mostly lost patience, but it seemed like a fight that could be managed with being persistent and memorizing the patterns.
    But damn, Flamelurker! The worst thing about Flamelurker is, that it takes freaking forever to get there. If I would respawn right in front of the chamber, I wouldn't be worrying to much about it. But running 10 minutes through the maze to die within 30 seconds just isn't fun at all.

Now that I think of it, can it be that the five Greater Demons at the end of each world are actually the easiest bosses? Except for
    Spoiler
    Show
    the very final boss. That one was just soo weird. I thought the maiden had betrayed me and wanted to feed me to him, but then there was just that thing in the puddle, and I shot it with 10 arrows and it was dead. Never tried any ranged attacks at me, nor did it move away from it's spot. Is it supposed to be basically the easiest enemy in the entire game?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, King Allant is supposed to be just a "put him out of his misery" affair, if you dig around all the lore you find references to him being a failed vessel and not really able to use the power of soul arts properly.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

As one who is not good at playing Baseball with Spells, I'll default to just dodging.
    How is that supposed to work? By the force-wave miracles?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Some shields can parry some spells as if they were a weapon, for example the Grand Spirit Shield.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Some shields can parry some spells as if they were a weapon, for example the Grand Spirit Shield.
    And the window for it is ridiculously massive. Some of the things in the game that count as parry-able spells are somewhat surprising too.

You can't damage enemies with the deflections though, unless you're parrying a Forbidden Sun.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-11-13 at 12:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

So I got tired of trying to take down Alonne Sensei, and instead just off'd Nashandra. I also reallocated my points.

I have 65 strength now :D

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I think I finally figured out why the infinite humanity shrine wasn't working. I was waiting outside of the bonfire near the Burned Ivory King's Fog Gate, and I saw a dropped item nearby the bonfire. At first I paid it no mind because I thought perhaps dropped items appeared visually like players do between worlds near the bonfire.

But then I checked to see if I could pick it up, and I did, and guess what it contained.

A humanity.

The humanity shrine wasn't working because I had dropped a humanity somewhere in my game, and I didn't know that the items stayed there until you picked them up again.

Oh, I also beat Alonne Sensei, and the Ivory King. Now I just need to figure out how to get to that damned dragon, and I'll be set.

I also discovered something interesting and silly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sonin order to get the Ring of Blades +2, you have to defeat two pursuers inside the throne room of Drangleic Castle, not the Throne of Want, but the Throne Room with the two Thrones behind that ghost guy near Drangleic Castle's enterance.

Fun fact: if you get impaled by one of the Pursuers' special attack where he impales you on his sword and curses you, it causes the other Pursuer to disappear. You can then fight the pursuer who impaled you, kill it, come back, and kill the second one, making killing both of them infinitely easier due to the fact that you're fighting them individually rather than together.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Ishould really finsh the DkS 2 DLC. However, I've been doing a new run through of Demon's Souls. I still remember a ton of secrets and stuff.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Prepareth Thine Wallet

Spoilers: It's Dark Souls the Game+DLC Montage Trailer.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no I did. Trust me I did. I'm probably going to do just that to be honest.

Question: is there a fast hitting high strength scaling weapon in Dark Souls II, presumably something I could use to good effect in boss fights? I've come to realize that trying to swing a big sword whose shtick is to hit like a truck AND pancake things is more effective for PvE and PvP, but not boss fights.
    Dual cestus works pretty well if you have the dex and enough strength for scaling. Very short range though. Dual clubs power stances can also be good, but have similar issues.

The giant knife you get from the rotten's soul is a fantastic strength weapon: quite fast, nice damage, surprising range, intresting move set, and can be enchanted or oiled with everything, with A strength scaling.

Mastodon halberd is also apparently good, and It's pure strength scaling as well. It has the halberd weaknesses of crit range and being slower if you miss, however.

Edit:,a nice halfway between a ultra greatsword and a regular sword is a normal greatsword. In particular, I've heard good thing/used the claymore and barstard sword.

The key trick to most bosses though is to figure out their move set and when they're slowest tho. Or find a way to cheese them. :D

Edit: very late to the party. Oh well. I stand by my rant!

.. Speaking of cheese, what's your favorite method to cheese a boss/zone?

Spoiler: boss spoilers!
    Show
    My favorite is building max fire resist into my gear, putting on flash sweat, and just bathe in Ancient dragon's fire like it was nothing.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2014-11-25 at 02:31 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Prepareth Thine Wallet

I'd be more interested if I wasn't still hopelessly stuck on the Fume Knight.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Prepareth Thine Wallet

And it appears to have additional content too. Hope that gets released as DLC for other platforms.

Specifically there's a giant fiery tree thing at around the 58 second mark right as the narrator says "But one of them stood here". There's also a scene with a dragon on a bridge that doesn't happen in the game, but there don't seem to be any new assets in that.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

According to a Namco's tweet it will be available for PS3 and X-box 360, which on one hand is cool since I don't own next gen console, but on the other hand if it isa re-release it is possible you would have to buy the whole thing again, which is annoying to say the least.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

I beat the first DLC today.

I made a few changes to my character. I grabbed a lightning Giant Warrior Club +10. It pretty much demolished everything.

The Lightning Clutch Ring is nice, since it gives like 40 AR to my Lightning Bow of Want and Lightning Heide Knight Sword.

Sinh, the Dragon No One Wants to Fight wasn't too big of an issue.

Onto the next crown, which gives regenerating spell slots... which means I can SLB continuously.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.