New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Custom Deities? (3.5)

I'm piecing together a basic homebrew to play with my wife and possibly some friends (or more likely for now just a 2 player with myself and my wife, her playing a character and me handling an NPC, which I know has all sorts of issues on its own), and had an idea I really liked for a cleric, but it requires a custom deity.

Basically, it's a dwarf cleric who, stereotypically, has an affinity for his spirits. But I want to take it to the next level, and want a deity of spirits/ale/wine. I'm thinking CG, god of merriment or some such. Special deity-specific abilities might include a once-daily ability to turn water into x type of alcohol, intoxicate target causing them a x turn temporary 1d4 dexterity penalty subject to a constitution check, and bonuses of some sort to the cleric's abilities while under the influence (for instance, +2 strength and +2 constitution temp modifiers, or a magic item that bestows similar bonuses). There would be shrines in every non-evil tavern with varying degrees of reverence (some token little shrines, others elaborate altars--perhaps the tavernkeeper or some patron of the tavern would buy a drink and leave it on the altar as an offering every night), and a very loose society of advocates which included clerics and believers, but the god would be a secondary god in the sense that it would not necessarily be THE god of CG. The society of followers may moonlight as an underground group bent on overthrowing tyrannical organizations and governments as well, giving the organization a bit more meat and room for campaign plots and the like.

That said, I'm very new to 3.5 (the last game I have experience with was 2e back in the mid 90s), and still pretty uncomfortable with the way a lot of the feat/spell/class ability mechanics work, so I'm feeling a little lost. Has anyone else here created custom deities and have some pointers for me? I've got the PHB I and II, and the DM Guide I and skimmed the religion chapters for specifics on homebrew gods, but if there was anything there I managed to miss it entirely.
    Last edited by Bacchanalian; 2014-07-23 at 06:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Custom Deities? (3.5)

Olidammara is the CN God with women, wine, and song in his portfolio, IIRC. I don't see why you couldn't modify Kord, CG god of Strength, to be more a god of Brawling. They'd both be suitable choices for a CG cleric.
    Last edited by Socksy; 2014-07-23 at 08:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hanseath, CN Dwarven god of war, carousing, and alcohol. Domains are Chaos, Strength, Travel, and War. Races of Stone 17-18
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Good stuff, thanks. I hadn't realized about Olidammara being wine, and Hanseath being carousing. I'll see if I can work something off of that maybe with a few homebrew abilities. Any thoughts on the ones I posted and how they should work?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, deity specific abilities aren't really a thing. You have domain powers, but those are shared among any deity with the domain.

Though maybe give him this x times/day
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Well, deity specific abilities aren't really a thing. You have domain powers, but those are shared among any deity with the domain.

Though maybe give him this x times/day
    Love it! Didn't know about that one. As far as the deity specific vs domain, that's where I was getting confused. Makes more sense that way, I'll see how that all works.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I was informed about this a while back. Might serve ya well.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.