New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Lightbulb A new spin on regaining a destroyed psicrystal

A psionic being can only make one psicrystal in its life, ever (since it's made by taking Psicrystal Affinity feat, which can't be gained twice), and there are no hard-written ways to restore a destroyed psicrystal (short of Wish/Miracle/Reality revision or rewriting past events, probably), but what if a replacement can be taken by force from another psicrystal owner? The psicrystal only grants benefits to its owner, but that's not a well-defined term in 3.5, and both items and subservient creatures are known to change ownership. The implications suddenly make high-psionics settings much more interesting, don't they?
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2014-07-24 at 05:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: A new spin on regaining a destroyed psicrystal

The problem with psicrystal destruction is that it means you're stuck with a feat that grants no benefit. If you have a feat (and meet the prerequisites of that feat) you continually gain the benefits, this is one of the assumptions of the game.

It also makes no sense thematically. A psicrystal is just a chunk of rock with a bit of your mind in it. You didn't lose any of your mind when you created it, why can't you make a new one?

In Pathfinder, you simply get it back after 24 hours if it was destroyed. In Hyperconscious, you lose XP (similar to losing a familiar) and have to wait longer, but you can get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)