New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5e] The Quest to Not Suck | Chapter 2: The Jaws of Uncertainty

Chapter 2: The Jaws of Uncertainty

You magically appear with the rest of your companions now outside. You all happen to have exited out of the same doorway at roughly the same time. The door seals shut behind the last of you. It would appear this was a one way trip.

You find yourselves in the middle of a barren wasteland. Utter desolation is spread out before you. There appears to be nothing but wastelands as far as the eye can see. Only a seemingly endless expanse of sand. You suddenly feel very lonely.

Loitering about the horizon is the blue moon. You take a little comfort. You know that you must be back in the realm of Vorponath. Unless you've never been outside before, or you've never heard of the moon. Both unlikely. But we've got some characters in this party.

Suddenly the door opens again! That woman's voice...ugh...is back again. This time shouting!
    "CERTAIN DEATH REQUESTED! STAND BY FOR YOUR DELIVERY! STAND BY FOR YOUR DELIVERY! STANDY BY FOR YOUR DELIVERY!

The noise is... very loud.

So loud..that it attracts a hungry hoard of desert antlions. They are unburrowing themselves around you. They appear groggy, but they look very hungry. They don''t look very big (they are only about a foot high) but their sharp teeth look very harmful.

(Each square is 5ft)

Initiative order:
    GAISU
    Rukbat
    Milo
    Lilyeth
    Gilded Grom
    Antlion [B4]
    Antlion [B5]
    Antlion [C5]
    Antlion [D5]
    Antlion [E5]
    Antlion [F5]
    Antlion [G5]
    Antlion [H5]
    Antlion [H4]
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 2014-07-24 at 07:24 AM.
    Beware any DM that smiles.
    Current Campaign:The Angel War | Hope Extinct (D&D 3.5e Epic Exalted)
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] The Quest to Not Suck | Chapter 2: The Jaws of Uncertainty

GAISU shrieks and jumps back, a bolt of energy firing from his fingertips at the nearest antlion.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    5ft step to D3, fire an Eldritch Blast at the antlion at D5
    Attack: (1d20)[12] (-4 for shooting into melee)
    Crit Confirm: (1d20)[18]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Crit Damage: (1d6)[1]

EDIT: Okay, so with me being level 2, I get +1 to hit and damage from Point Blank Shot. And I forgot to mention that this is a touch attack
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2014-07-24 at 11:23 AM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rukbat, for a moment looking terrified at the antlions, makes a few ggestures, speaks some mysterious sounding words and points towards one of the antlions near him, before slowly backing away from the animals, looking slightly confused.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Color Spray (Will DC 15) defensively from the lower left point of my square, pointed at E5, should hit C,D,E 5
    Concentration DC 16: (1d20+7)[24]

5 foot step to F3
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

An RPG I'm working on

Homebrew: Arcane Architect

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

A look of rage distorts Gilded Groms face as he tenses up. No. Not rage. Pain. With him no longer being in that arch mages complex, the magic sealing him are breaking. He grits his teeth as the draconic tail explodes through his clothes, swinging powerfully and leaving shallow furrows in the ground behind him. Rather than casting the magic he can feel coursing, barely contained within, he lashes out with his tail, followed by an axe swing that holds nothing back.

Spoiler: attacks
    Show

full attack(technically. its only so i get my natural weapon.)
    target: b4
    tail attack - (1d20+2)[18](using that bonus +1 you gave us a while ago, just because if i don't, ill forget about it.)
    tail damage - (1d6+2)[4]
    axe attack - (1d20+4)[19](power attacking)
    axe damage - (1d8+10)[17]

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Lilyeth blinks then shouts "Food !!!" the tiger burns through as her form simply changes. then she bites the one at f5

Spoiler
    Show
    not moving so breakdown as follows: move action shifting forms,which is a standard action. speaking is free. attack (1d20+5)[15] , if crit threat (1d20+5)[13] , if hit (1d6+4)[7] , if crit add (1d6)[6]

current stats: tiger form , hp 20 , ac 15
    Last edited by androgial; 2014-07-24 at 02:20 PM.
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

The call of 'food' from a fellow survivor makes Gilded Grom a bit curious, and he realized that his knew found powers might grant him some knowledge about these creatures, though hopefully more information than whether or not they are edible.

Spoiler: knowledge
    Show

i'm under the impression that monster knowledge checks are a free action. if they aren't, then i guess this can be part of next round or something.
    knowledge nature - (1d20+7)[16]
    if it's dungeoneering, instead of nature, subtract 2 from the above result. i can't imagine it being anything other than those two, though. i take that back. they could be magical beasts. if arcana, subtract 3 from the rolled result.
    Last edited by Rhysandphal; 2014-07-24 at 04:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Milo

The halfling pulls out a small bit of wax from his spell component pouch. Rubbing it between two fingers, a faint din begins to crescendo. The din keeps growing until it is the sound of approximately eight unseen humans running towards the antlions. "They're with me," Milo says with a smirk.

Free Action: 5-foot step to D3.
    Standard Action: cast Ghost Sound to create the sound of 8 humans running towards the antlions and shouting in hopes of scaring them off.
    Free Action: gain 20% concealment from Mastery of Twisted Shadow.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-27 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

8. - Top - End - #8

GAISU and Rukbat waste no time unleashing their newly found powers upon these fledgling monsters. The targets quickly fall dead and/or numb as their infant bodies prove no match to the prominence of our brave heroes. If that had not scared off the little buggers, then what would follow definitely did. Panicking under the ever growing ever deafening sound of footsteps, surely reinforcements of some kind, and surely not fake in the least bit, three of them quickly burrow back from where they came. Lilyeth forms into her tiger form at first with the intent to claw the nearest antlion; however what she most likely sees now is a delicious meal, courtesy of Chef Rukbat.
    Only one enemy remains, and unfortunately for the poor thing it meets an untimely death at the wrath of a newly formed dragon tail.

The monsters have been slain. Albeit a very easy encounter, you can't help but feel empowered by your first victory. And messy. Antlion innerds are splattered all over your new armor. Especially Gilded Grom.

Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that you are in the middle of no where and the IMMINENT DEATH alarm hasn't quieted down at all.

Everyone needs to roll a spot check as much of the terrain around the antlions have been moved and altered which may have revealed something.

Aside from the antlion carcasses and the floating door shouting, you can make out the sight of giant bones in the distance.

Spoiler: GM Note
    Show
    Exploration time. Despite the landmark I've given (giant bones) your character may or may not be drawn to it. In these events, its rather crucial for me to know whether or not you are waiting on someone else to post, otherwise this game could stagger!
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 2014-07-27 at 09:11 PM.
    OOC Thread

9. - Top - End - #9

Milo

"Oi, chums," Milo says, "did your peepers catch that? Just a little dab'll do ya, and all of a sudden I'm laying down a whistle of a bluff. Sent them scampering, sure as shooting! This whole portal business wasn't half-bad, I'll tell ya. Take a look at those bones over yonder, think they're worth a gander in the sand or...?" Milo doesn't even finish his sentence, preferring to let the rhyme hang in the air as he chatters with energies both nervous and magical alike.
    Spot - (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-27 at 09:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

GAISU looks at his hand
    What the hells was that?
    His voice comes out deep and gravelly, as opposed to the semi-pubescent voice he normally had, prone to cracking.
    What happened to my voice?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rukbat stares at his hands. Then at where the antlions were. Then at his companions. And after a few seconds of staring at various things, he loudly exclaims:
    Gah! Demon!
    And with a scared look on his face he slowly backs away from GAISU.

Spot: (1d20+1)[4]

An RPG I'm working on

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gilded Grom looks around severely, trying not to seem a bit nervous, and fighting to contain his amazement at how strong he's become.. Shhh. I don't think this is done quite yet... If i'm right, which something tells me I am, these little critters shouldn't have been too far from their mother..... Pausing, he looks each of them in the eye. And she won't be too happy about this.

He's silent a moment as he scans the horizon and the terrain near by, trying to keep an ear out as well through the din of the death threat blaring beside him, only for a stray though to remove all traces of seriousness from his face. One of you pulled the death lever, didn't you.. I think we're gonna need to have a group pow wow about who's allowed to do what, if we're gonna form ourselves a little adventuring party.

Spoiler
    Show

spot - (1d20+2)[10]
    listen - (1d20+2)[19]

Provided he has the time, and not truly expecting to find much, Gilded Grom also searches the corpses and the area immediately around them.
    Spoiler
    Show

search - (1d20+4)[19]

Gilded Grom looks at Rukbat and shakes his head. I sprouted a tail and killed something with it. That one turned half way into a tiger. And you're concerned about that slip of a tail, some satyr looking horns, and a gruff voice?
    Last edited by Rhysandphal; 2014-07-28 at 02:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Uh... right. When you put it like that... So, who exactly are you? I mean, the scales don't make it easy to see. And who pulled the certain death lever?

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to do it in the last post but I want to know about these antlions too. So:
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+5)[11]

An RPG I'm working on

14. - Top - End - #14

Milo

" 'Tweren't I, chums," the spry little halfling says. As he speaks, the shadows that had recently fallen over his face begin to dissipate, and he tries to watch them as they go. "You reckon this means we're all archmages now, too?"

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateCaptain

Lilyeth has one antlion baby in her mouth, but her ears are perked, almost as if she were listening to the others creatures burrowing around underground.

16. - Top - End - #16

Whiel some of you search the corpses and the newly unearthed terrain near you, the rest of you search the immediate surroundings.

About 50 feet south of the door (still shouting about awaiting certain death, by the way), you see a skeleton of colossal proportions. A wide selection of skeletal accessories awaits your perusal. Vertebrae, ribs, and who knows what else can be found. The average height of these bones looks to be at least 25 feet high. It's a good thing you didn't meet this thing in its heyday. Plants appear to be growing in isolated spots near the base of the bones.

Spoiler: When suddenly...
    Show
    Everyone needs to roll search and/or listen.
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 2014-07-28 at 09:45 AM.
    OOC Thread

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nervously, Rukbat looks around, trying (and failing) not to notice Lilyeths meal.

I don't think we are. I mean, those are supposed to be really powerful, they can fly, summon angels and other things like that. I can summon a horse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+1)[20]
    Search: (1d20+4)[5]

An RPG I'm working on

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

GAISU jumps back too when Rukbat yells about a demon.
    Demon? Where?
    Then he realizes Rukbat is backing away from him and he looks down and sees the tail.
    So, that's what I was feeling
    Then the giant skeleton steps through the portal. GAISU backpedals.
    We aren't the janitors you're looking for!

Show
    Bluff: (1d20+17)[36]
    Listen: (1d20-1)[9]
    Search: (1d20+4)[7]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Shaking his head at GAISU's apparent fear of inanimate bones, Gilded Grom suddenly freezes as a sound reaches his ears. He turns, leveling his axe towards the portal, turning his head enough to speak to the group without taking his eyes off of it. Hey, guys..... I don't think the warning was for the antlions.... Somethings on its way here. It might be our golem friend, but whatever it is probably isn't going to be friendly... He pauses for a second, considering. We have some fairly impressive powers now, and as someone with power, i suggest we do something that people with power do...... He pauses a moment for effect.

A tactical retreat.

Spoiler
    Show

listen - (1d20+2)[3]
    search - (1d20+4)[6]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Retreat sounds like a good idea. Something's comming.

He points with a shaky finger towards the door.

Then he takes a small amount of hair from the component pouch at his belt and with a mystical incantation he throws those hairs into the air before him, were they start to spin, expand and quickly form the shape of a horse, consisting of just enough hairs, that its shape can be distinguished, only for the shape to be filled out by flesh, blood and bones expanding from the center.

Rukbat mounts the newly formed horse and looks over to Milo.

Milo, do you need a ride?

Spoiler
    Show
    Alacritous Cogitation to cast mount.

An RPG I'm working on

21. - Top - End - #21

Milo

"While I'd normally be a tad bit trepidatious about hitching around on an Instant Ghost Horse, our present situation presents an exception, chum," Milo says with a smirk. "I'd be happy to hitch a ride out of dodge."

Listen - (1d20+5)[9]
    Search - (1d20+9)[10]

22. - Top - End - #22

As Milo mounts Rukbat's summoned steed, everyone is suddenly drowned out by the noise of rapid heavy footsteps coming from the door. The door shakes violently. The hinges don't appear to be able to hold the force contained behind it for much longer. You hear thuds, crackles, and more deafening stomps.

The female voice is heard one last time.

"DELIVERY CONFIRMED. HAVE A NICE DEATH."

The door explodes. Scraps of wood fly in every bit direction. As the dust settles, you see what was causing the noise.

It's huge. It looks like a mix between a spider and other variosu forms of insects and arachnids. It's huge pupils glow eerily red, its enormous fangs and legs dripping with venom.

"MORSELS!!!! FEEED!!" It shrieks in an ugly high pitched voice as it makes its way to attack you.

Initiative:
    Rukbat
    GAISU
    Lilyeth
    Gilded Grom
    Milo

Monster

Spoiler: GM Note
    Show
    Notice the skeleton. The bones are laying on their side. The skull and leg bones act as natural walls (25ft high). Characters can climb into the rib cage if they should choose.
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 2014-07-30 at 06:44 AM.
    OOC Thread

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

We aren't the morsels you're looking for! We are your masters!
    GAISU yells at the creature in his now deep and gravelly voice.

Show
    It's a sign that you've been playing too much DnD when someone says skeleton and you assume it is animated.
    Bluff: (1d20+17)[23]
    Diplomancy: Take 10, no penalty for being rushed, 29.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #24

The monster stops at GAISu's words, studying all of you closely.
    "MASTERS??!! NO!!! Goblins are masters!! You not goblins!! Your skin is not green!!" it hisses.

What are you!? Are you not the food my masters had me hunt down!? It howls at you. It's venemous drool is forming a small acidic puddle beneath its enormous jaws, dissolving the ground beneath it.

Spoiler: GM nOTE
    Show
    The encounter has paused. Currently this spider-thing is contemplating whether or not to go all out on you. It would appear you have a number of options to get out of this one alive. Choose wisely!
    OOC Thread

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

GAISU decides to run with it.
    The magic of the portal changed us! We are no longer goblins! We are your masters!

Show
    And I just realized Naberius allows taking 10 on both of my checks. So, unless I roll, assume 27 Bluff and 29 Diplomacy are used.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #26

The spider-creature's jaw drops with uncertainty.
    Then the monster sighs with relief.

"Masters! It is good to see you! It runs up and gives all of you a giant group hug. Just to think, those claws could have been an excruciating painful cleave attack.

"The sanctum started going BOOM and POP!!! I thought I was gonna die!! But then I was zapped! To a dark cave! A cave with a shiny door! And a sign! A sign that said......it..uh...it said...
    PLEASE....KILL...THESE....IDIOTS....THANK YOU!" I thought the sign came from you! That you wanted me to kill the idiots!!"

The spider creature then notices some of the dead antlion babies in the sand.

It seems to be thinking.

OH!!! You killed the idiots already!! Very good!... So how do we get back to the mothership!? I want to see the VOILA we stole!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 2014-07-30 at 11:13 AM.
    OOC Thread

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I feel like I'm stealing the spotlight...Wait, I assumed bad pact with Naberius, I'm required to do this!
    Also, quick check, Knowledge (The Planes): (1d20+9)[20]

GAISU thinks quickly, and suavely answers the creature.
    I fear that the portal's magic has also invaded our minds. I cannot recall the location of the mothership. We are alone in this desert.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateCaptain

Lilyeth grabs one end of her rope from where it fell to the ground when she shifted and begins playing with it, ocasionally running a few steps at a time. close observation will reveal she is winding the rope around the legs of the spider.

bluff to be a kitty (1d20)[17]

winding the rope around the spiders legs (1d20)[8]

edit: each of these rolls gets a +1 for skill mod
    Last edited by androgial; 2014-07-30 at 12:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

not wanting to interrupt what's clearly working, and having no real proficiency with wielding a silver tongue, Gilded Grom stands back, leaning on his axe and nodding occasionally for emphasis. A thought occurs to him, and he works a little of his new magic power to see if he can't learn more about this creature.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge nature - (1d20+7)[21]
    knowledge dungeoneering - (1d20+4)[8]
    knowledge arcana - (1d20+4)[13]
    knowledge the planes - (1d20+3)[13]

casting detect magic as a spell-like ability, maintaining concentration unless otherwise noted, looking at the creature.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

simply staring at the monster that just hugged him, Rukbat tries to figure out, what the hell this thing is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I have no idea, what this is... have some rolls.

Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+9)[13]
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+5)[10]
    Knowledge The Planes (1d20+7)[25]
    Knowledge Dungeoneering (1d20+6)[8]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+5)[25]

Yes, history. Maybe it is a historical figure!

An RPG I'm working on