New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Goblin

Default Paladin of Tyranny crunchy and fluffy advice

I got new idea for a character today and would love to hear a bit of an advice on both crunch and fluff on how to make it work.

Paladin of Tyranny (LE) who serves Lawful Neutral God that accepts both good and evil followers. By this god's orders he is serving now LG Liege and is bound to uphold Knight's Code of Chilvary and it ovewrites usual Paladin of Tyranny's Code. He despises it and actually looks down upon common folk he, as a knight, is bound to protect (think of him as guy who sees peasants as no better than cattle), but is so fanatically devoted to the order and his god that he doesn't question the orders. So he goes around and tries to do these things
    Spoiler: Code of Chilvary
    Show
    To fear God and maintain His Church
    To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
    To protect the weak and defenceless
    To give succour to widows and orphans
    To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
    To live by honour and for glory
    To despise pecuniary reward
    To fight for the welfare of all
    To obey those placed in authority
    To guard the honour of fellow knights
    To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
    To keep faith
    At all times to speak the truth
    To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
    To respect the honour of women
    Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
    Never to turn the back upon a foe

While inside being still rotten bastard. Sometimes he might twist the interpretation to his own end, but only when he has quote from his god's holy texts to back himself up. Maybe I think of kind of playing him as a a bit of a parody on "overzealous paladin" type of thing in that he is just like that, because he is a sadistic, evil bastard, I'm not yet sure.

Anyway, questions I'm wondering about
    1) Fluff Question - what kind of god could be most fitting for this character? I'm talking in general but also Forgotten Realms in particular as character I'm playing in Forgotten Realms game right now almost always ends up at the verge of death, so I'm most likely to bring this one as an replacement when he finally bites it.
    2)Any advice about the build? Especially decreasing the MAD? I thought of either going with Serenity (rather not because I think this gu should be quite charismatic) or give up on spells and try to combine him with Martial Paladin (is that even possible? I cannot find what sourcebook Martial Paladin is). Maybe I should go Claric/Prestige Paladin (with some class features replaced to be like Paladin of Tyranny) instead, if GM allows it? If not, what would be good Prestige Class for this character, aside Blackguard (of which 2 levels-dip is a given)? I'm open for Psionic and ToB but would be interested in build without them because of abovementioned game in which I'm likely to play this character - GM has bad experience with psionics and banned it and while he lieks ToB he won't allow taking levels of TOB classes if other players doing meele are doing lower tier classes (and right now meele in this group is my rogue/swashbuckler, Bear Totem Barbarian and vanilla Ranger and neither Barbarian or Ranger players are into ToB). Also, any advice about race (aside Lesser aasimar or maybe even regular one)?
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2014-07-24 at 11:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin of Tyranny crunchy and fluffy advice

Hobgoblin might be a solid choice for race. Or human, if you're feeling wacky.

I'm pretty sure the martial paladin you're thinking of is the one from Complete Warrior; it gives up spells for some melee abilities, like treating your weapons as good aligned and casting holy sword later on. Flipping 'em around to their evil version to suit the Paladin of Tyranny should be a piece of cake.

Kensai might be a solid choice of prestige class, from a fluff perspective. Fits really well with the unflinching loyalty and code of honor you've got going, and it also lets you be a sneaky bastard in some ways as well.
    Last edited by Cowardly Griffo; 2014-07-24 at 11:57 AM.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

redface Re: Paladin of Tyranny crunchy and fluffy advice

As far as the god, I would probably recommend the Red Knight, LN god of Strategy in FR. It's fitting with using a code of chivalry as an alternate code, and I could see the Red Knight making Good and Evil work together for something.

No-spell Paladin is in Complete Warrior, but before going to that I would check with you GM about allowing an alternate version of Serenity that keys your spell casting to Cha. Or, you know, just ask if you can do that (it never hurts to ask, even if you expect the answer to be no)

I would check with your GM about Blackguard first. Your goal with that is clearly 2xCha to saves, and he might not allow them to stack (they're pretty clearly supposed to be the same thing).

Racewise, I agree that Hobgoblin is a good option, as is Lesser Aasimar. Human is always solid, and Illumian (Races of Destiny) works well with classes that are pseudo-gishes.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro