New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Rate my Homebrewed Races!

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Well, it's your races, of course. If I were balancing them, I'd probably:

Drop the vampires to LA+2, give them stat mods of +2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Wis. 40 foot move. Increase the frenzy duration to 1D3+2 rounds so that you can miss a bite for a round or two and not get screwed by a low roll.

As for the dhampir: I'd give them stat mods of +2 dex, and grant them some extra benefit as well: a feat like track, 40ft move, +1 skill/level, or multiple of these.

Note that I'm recommending balance changes that put these close to the power level of humans, warforged, dwarves, strongheart halflings, lesser planetouched, etc. I expect them to be better than a half-orc, half-elf, elf (without chaos shuffle), gnomes, etc.
    An interesting idea. Since the Dhampir is to be the player race (The Hedronic Vampires are more or less filler and fodder, akin to goblins on racial power level) I'd like to focus on them.

Your suggestion of movement bonuses intrigues me, but maybe I should give them Scent (Track by Scent, anybody?) and maybe +2 to Survival besides. Is that worth LA +0, do you reckon?

Either way I'll probably have more races for you all tomorrow, sorry about the delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Time for a new race! This one is a dwarf subrace, since there aren't enough of them.

Miorn Dwarves

Appearance: Miorn Dwarves are small, about 3-4 feet in height. They are gray of skin and are black of hair. They favor facial hair but don't grow much hair outside their head. They keep the hair on the top of their head cropped short or, in the case of female members of the species, keep it tied back.

Alignment: Miorn Dwarves tend towards the Lawful Neutral alignment, with little stance on good-evil. They value honor and friendship, but also tend to trust their clan's judgement a little too much to be entirely healthy.

History: Miorn Dwarves were a race of dwarves that interbred with svirfneblin (I have no idea how to spell that, so I may have just misspelled that) and lived in the shallower parts of the underdark for millenia. Recently they have returned to the surface, due to their hunting by Mind Flayers and Drow, who had for the most part ignored the Miorn Dwarves. Miorn Dwarves like to hide from other races, and are barely trusting of other dwarves, and tend to be skittish and quiet.

Racial Traits:
    • Humanoid (Dwarf): Miorn Dwarves get most of their racial traits from their Dwarf ancestors, after a fashion. As such, they are humanoids with the dwarf subtype.
    • Small Size
    • Base Land Speed is 20 ft.
    • Like their Dwarf Ancestors, Miorn Dwarves' speed cannot be reduced by armor.
    • +2 Racial Bonus on Craft and Appraise checks related to metal; Miorn Dwarves don't share their kin's liking for stone, preferring metalworking to stonecraft.
    • +4 Racial bonus on Move Silently checks: Miorn Dwarves are naturally quiet-footed. This works well with their size bonus to Hide checks.
    • +2 Racial Bonus on Reflex saves to avoid traps: Miorn Dwarves are cautious and while they cannot inherently sense traps, they are more than prepared to avoid them.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Abyssal, Gnomish
    • Favored Class: Artificer.
    • LA: +0

Questions: Too powerful for LA +0? I didn't think so.
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2014-08-23 at 11:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

One more race I'd like evaluated - it includes a homebrewed subtype that I'll post here and now and I'll post the actual race later:

Living Ooze Subtype
    • Immunity to Poison and Polymorph
    • Does not have the Mindless trait, as Living Oozes are not usually mindless.
    • Are treated as both their parent type (usually humanoid or monstrous humanoid) and as an ooze for the purpose of spells. They are still subject to effects as if they were either type, even if the other type is immune, except for effects that poison or polymorph creatures.

I made this type to create a "humanoid-ooze" race.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

O-kay, let's see how this is going for me.

This race I call the Uorsai, called colloquially Oozefolk and, usually as an insult, Oozekin.

Appearance: Uorsai stand about as tall as a human with translucent blue, gel-like bodies in the form of humanoids. Pockets of air are easily visible, usually as small bubbles. They have eyes, roughly humanoid, with an iris of a darker color of blue. The lips and gums of their mouths are of a navy blue, but their teeth are as white as a human or elf's. Some go without clothing, but most wear form-fitting armor, usually light. They are naturally hairless, but females of the species often have a set of head-tails close to their scalp.

History: Uorsai were the results of magical fusion of humans and oozes by cruel Elven wizards in a time long forgotten. These semi-gelatinous creatures were almost perfect spies and assassins due to their ability to quickly and easily escape, but over time some escaped, some died, but most simply outlived their empire.

Relations: Uorsai get along well with humans, enjoying the company of those who share their chaotic tendencies. Many, ironically, get along well with elves who share their world view, most Uorsai having forgotten their race's ancient servitude to them. They do not get along well with dwarves, however, viewing their stoic nature with disdain and disgust.

Most Uorsai's personalities have been described as fluid, often very accepting of others and their viewpoints, but not liking criticism. If insulted, an Uorsai may sulk for hours or even days, especially if they hold the person who offended them close to their hearts.

Alignment: Uorsai are often neutral or chaotic. They often take up professions as thieves.

Racial Traits:
    • -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha: Most find the Uorsai's appearance unappealing and thsi is shown with a long history of being turned away by other races.
    • Living Ooze subtype
    • +2 racial bonus on Disguise checks: Uorsai can control their shape on a certain level, not enough to change appearance from a humanoid but enough to cause a dissimilarity. They also ignore penalties to disguise checks to appear as another gender, as for Uorsai gender is an acquired trait.
    • +4 bonus on Escape Artist checks: Uorsai are naturally capable of avoiding entrapment.
    • Medium Size
    • Base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Favored Class: Rogue

This may be better suited as an LA +1 race or even LA +2; the Living Ooze subtype is quite frankly potent to say the least, but I like to think the added vulnerabilities to things like Favored Enemy (Ooze) might shift the odds in favor of LA +0. Let me know what you think.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Very new here. If I made an ooze race I'd go whole hog and give them the ability to turn into a puddle and to ooze through things like under doors and through cracks. But obviously not be able to take things with them. Except maybe very small things like lock picks or things like that. Maybe a swim speed or the ability to stick to walls and such. Perhaps a bonus to graple checks. Idk.
    Last edited by ZinZenWho; 2014-08-21 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Misspelling

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZinZenWho View Post
    Very new here. If I made an ooze race I'd go whole hog and give them the ability to turn into a puddle and to ooze through things like under doors and through cracks. But obviously not be able to take things with them. Except maybe very small things like lock picks or things like that. Maybe a swim speed or the ability to stick to walls and such. Perhaps a bonus to graple checks. Idk.
    I probably would too, but I'm trying to keep it at LA +0, and without maybe a few racial hit dice and quite a bit of LA I couldn't do most of those things.

Maybe I'll make some other races with the Living Ooze subtype; it'd be a fun side-project.

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I probably would too, but I'm trying to keep it at LA +0, and without maybe a few racial hit dice and quite a bit of LA I couldn't do most of those things.

Maybe I'll make some other races with the Living Ooze subtype; it'd be a fun side-project.
    Perhaps a once or twice a day spellike ability to go through doors. And as for sticking to walls a once a day spider walk at one half HD caster lv. Or just an inmate bonus to climb checks.
    How can someone define something that know nothing about.

8. - Top - End - #38

NecromancerGirl

As for the other ooze type creatures you could make a whole storyline entered around a crazed hermit experimenting with oozes. Just an idea.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The next Living Ooze I have is the Uornai (BTW, I forgot to mention- the Uorsai are humanoids).

The Uornai

Appearance: This creature looks like a human, perhaps with too smooth skin and too colorful eyes- In short, he is too beautiful to believe.

History: An offshoot of the Uorsai, the Uornai have learned how to manipulate the ooze along with coloration to produce a humanoid appearance, to the point of it being their nature. They can use this ability to make themselves appear like others, making them natural rogues.

Alignment: Uornai are as well inclined towards chaos and neutrality, but have a higher number of evil members of their race.

Racial Traits:
    • Monstrous Humanoid (Living Ooze): Uornai are Monstrous Humanoids- the powers they possess have stripped them of the humanity their forebearers cherished.
    • +2 Dex, -2 Cha: Uornai are as dextrous as their kin, but appear strange and alien to those unfamilliar with them.
    • Alter Self (Ex): This ability functions as the spell but can be used in Antimagic zones, making it far more powerful.
    • +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks: Uornai are natural liars, and are especially skilled at impersonation.
    • Base Land Speed is 30 feet.
    • Medium Size
    • Favored Class: Rogue.
    • LA: +1

Maybe it should be LA +2. I'm fairly certain it's far from game-breaking, noting the lack of skill bonus - ability score synergy.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Another Living Ooze, for those still watching this thread.

This one is called the Uortai, because I'm really, really unoriginal.

Uortai

Appearance: This creature looks like a viscous, bluish-green fluid given basic humanoid form. As you watch, it shifts form subtly, like ripples.

History: Uortai were progenitors of the Uorsai race, who were excellent spies and decent fighters, but lacked the adaptability and the intelligence of their descendents.

Alignment: Most Uortai are neutral. The more intelligent members of their species may pick sides, but for the most part they are content to simply etch out an easy life in the wild.

Racial Traits:
    • Aberration (Living Ooze): Uortai are Aberrations with the Living Ooze subtype.
    • Medium Size
    • Base Land Speed is 30 feet. They also have a Climb Speed of 20 feet.
    • +4 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha: Uortai are even more dextrous than Uorsai, but lack their quick-wittedness.
    • An Uortai may always take 10 on an Escape Artist Check, even if they are under pressure.
    • Mutable Form (Ex): An Uortai can change its shape at will; be that into a puddle of ooze that moves along the floor or otherwise. This change has little functional difference- they cannot, for example, use this to make a natural weapon or to fly- but it does allow them to fit through extraordinarily small spaces. By taking a -10 penalty to movement speed (effectively making their base land speed 20 feet or their climb speed 10 feet) they can get through or into a space that is only big enough for a fine being. This doesn't alter its volume- it would still take up the space of a medium character in a bag of holding, for instance, but it can fit part of itself in or go through the cracks in pavement.
    • Racial Hit Dice: An Uortai begins with 4 levels of Aberration, giving it 4d8 hit dice, two feats and (2 + Int Modifier) x 7 Skill Points. Its class skills are Escape Artist, Listen, Search and Spot.
    • Favored Class: Rogue.
    • LA: +3 +2

This isn't designed to be a perfect player race, it's more designed to be your run-of-the-mill monster with occasionally some class levels.
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2014-08-23 at 09:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGirl

:-) the all out ooze race.... maybe the LA is a bit high. Look at feral gargan from races if stone.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stay tuned for more races of the Living Ooze subtype but for now I'm making a human subrace specifically for BARBARIANS! Infused with the power of a homebrewed god of mine (based heavily off of Odin and Thor) called Thorne (See?) they rip across the battlefield in a frenzy of blood and glory!

Raserin

Appearance: Looking like tall, burly humans, Raserin often have blonde hair and blue eyes, with a liking for clothing made of wild game they hunted and killed. They wear their hair (and their facial hair) long and unkempt, many with the appearance of wild beings.

History: In ancient days the world froze over in an ice age. These humans, loyal to their god, Thorne, wished to survive and thrive in the harsh new world. Their god gave them power, his blood. Even now, in a world long-thawed, they wander the borderlands of nations, the evil hunting caravans, the neutral etching out a living by herding animals and hunting, and the good keeping the evil in check.

Alignment: While the Raserin are almost always Chaotic, they also have a tendency towards good inspired by their god. They also have an evil counterpart to him that some (usually the evil ones) worship.

Racial Traits:
    • Humanoid (Human): Raserin are still humans, albeit of a different stock.
    • Medium Size
    • +2 Str, -2 Wis: Raserin are strong but headstrong. Valuing bravery and honor in combat over common sense, they tend to have a fairly short lifespan.
    • Rage 1/day: This ability functions as the Barbarian ability gained at first level. This stacks with any uses a Barbarian gains of Rage, as well as any improvements given to it by Barbarian Class features.
    • +2 Racial Bonus on Climb, Jump and Swim checks: Raserin are naturally athletic.
    • 4 bonus skill points at first level, 1 additional bonus skill point at all consecutive levels. Unlike a normal human's, these skill points must be spent on strength-based skills.
    • Favored Class: Barbarian.

I think it looks pretty good as LA +0, though it only really fits for barbarians. Compare it to humans, if you will, as Half-Orcs kind of suck just in general, and aren't a good comparison for anything.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

:-) the all out ooze race.... maybe the LA is a bit high. Look at feral gargan from races if stone.
    Decent call. I'd probably put it on par with that if I lowered the LA to +2. I'll do that.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Another day, another race.

These ones I call Dracovores, an offshoot of the Kobold race.

Dracovores

Appearance: These creatures are around the size of halflings, though not even the most hard of sight would mix them up; They appear as short, scaly creatures- their scales are often shades of black, dark green and brown, and their eyes appear black- covered by an overcoat of black skin which prevents dust and dirt from getting in their eyes. They can still see perfectly fine, and can even see in daylight.

History: When dragons ruled the plane, the insurgent giant lord Borgerax experimented with the Kobold race to create footsoldiers to help slay his foes. Unfortunately for him, they proved unruly and bred far to quickly for their creators to stamp out. They are still hated by giants, but even more so by Dragons. They are known for hunting draconic creatures down, slaying them and eating their flesh.

Alignment: Dracovores' souls are as black as their eyes. They are almost always evil, and chaotic evil at that. They kill good creatures with impunity, but have no compunction to save evil creatures either.

Racial Traits:
    • +2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha: Giant experimentation has removed most of the Kobold's natural weaknesses from them, but they in turn are mentally weaker than their kin, and far less socially inclined.
    • +2 Bonus on attack and damage rolls against Dragons: Dracovores are nigh-perfect hunters of dragons, and they are also raised from birth to be dragon hunters.
    • Natural Attack: Dracovores have a bite attack that deals 1d4 piercing damage and criticals on a natural 20.
    • Monstrous Humanoid (Reptillian)
    • Small Size
    • +2 Racial Bonus on Listen and Spot checks: Dracovores are capable of hunting well by hearing and are keen of eye.
    • Favored Class: Ranger. Dracovores often choose dragons as a Favored Enemy.

Might be worth more than LA +1.
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2014-08-25 at 12:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGirl

I was going to say something about the dex bonus but thought better of it. Needs a more original name though.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was going to say something about the dex bonus but thought better of it. Needs a more original name though.
    I'd take any suggestions for that, really.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This race is based off of (and in some ways a subrace of) Warforged.

The Metinis

Appearance: Metinis stand about seven feet tall, made of some type of gray metal. They are broad-shouldered and lantern-jawed, and appear to be made out of interlocking plates, like a suit of full-plate armor except solid through. Their bodies also have geometric lines all across them, which light up when they channel their power. The light is the same color of their eyes, which are solid and single-colored. The known colors are blue, green, yellow, and white. The rarest color is white.

History: Metinis were created by an ancient race of dwarves known as the Tenzu. The Tenzu were remarkably well-developed in their technology, far beyond their kin. They were more inclined to live below ground and avoided conflicts, choosing no sides in even the most grievous wars. In the final centuries of their existence, they created a new lifeform, the first Living Construct of this plane. However, mere months following the creation of the first Metinis, the only known city of the Tenzu, known only in myth by the Metinis as the Citadel, was attacked by an army of kobolds, wiping them out by sheer numbers. Other pockets of Tenzu civilization was destroyed in the wars that ravaged the plane, up to the final battle. With all civilization almost wiped out by Kobolds, the last of all races gathered for a final charge. The Metinis who survived were the sole successes; only four. But the facilities for mass production made by the Tenzu allowed them to produce many more of their kind, and they led their new kin into combat. Few survived, and due to reproductive issues (Metinis, without the help of the technology lost in the Citadel with its location, can only reproduce once in their life by animating a block of metal that forms into a new Metinis).

Racial Traits
    • Medium Size: As Medium creatures, Metinis take no special penalties to rolls or checks.
    • +2 Str, -4 Dex. As creatures of metal, Metinis move more slowly.
    • Speed of 20 feet, as being made of metal, they find it more difficult to move quickly.
    • As a creature made of metal, Metinis do not need to eat or drink regular food or water to survive. Rather, they subsist on metal, about ten pounds a week. They prefer unprocessed metal, though processed metal does not harm them. They do not need to breath. They can still drown, however, due to their inability to function underwater.
    • Metinis have a natural armor bonus of +8
    • Metinis have a natural spell failure chance of 35%
    • Armor Check Penalty of -6
    • Favored Class: Fighter
    • LA: +2

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This next race I don't really have a name for. So far, I've opted to call them race x (name suggestions greatly appreciated).

Appearance: This being appears human and is vaguely attractive, with rugged features, toned body and sparkling eyes.

History: (still coming up with this)

Alignment: Usually true neutral.

Racial Traits (This is the interesting part)
    • Humanoid: They are humanoids
    • Medium Size
    • Base land speed is 30 ft.
    • -2 Wis, +2 Cha: They are often quick to act, but just as quick to talk their way out of trouble.
    • Divisive (Su): They can divide themselves up into a number of beings up to their character level. One is considered the "operant" character, and is treated as the character with a number of negative levels equal to the number of clones he has created. If he takes a negative level while with the max number of clones operating, the oldest clone dissapears in a flash of light and a scream of agony. The other clones are treated in all respects as level 1 commoners, with the ability scores of their progenitor. They are also of the same race, but they do not have the divisive ability. If the progenitor dies while they are separate from him, they all dissapear as described above. None of them can travel more than 1 mile away from their progenitor. If one of them dies, the negative level from their creation persists for 24 hours. They have no set lifespan, but the negative levels from their creation cannot be removed until they die or choose to merge with their progenitor again. They can choose to merge as a free action if they are within 100 ft. of their progenitor. They are exact duplicates of the progenitor, and behave like him. They share his memories, and will do whatever he tells them to do within reason. They are treated as having a friendly rating to their creator and share their outlook on others with their creator.
    • +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks: They are natural infiltrators.

What do you think? It's a complex ability, but I thought I balanced it fairly well.