New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #959 - The Discussion Thread

AhahahahahBAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That punchline was the best. And I love how it showcases Haley's growing-up and sense of perspective. In fact, this whole comic was that, for Haley. Even the "action figures" panel? Pure GENIUS way to remind us that Haley's been through a lot. It's not just a one-off gag: we got to see three places Haley's been in the comics with those three action figures.

Nice, nuanced, strong page, with a cheeky punchline at the end. One of the best pages of OOTS thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I'm reminded of a quote I read somewhere, where a writer was asked, "Why do you keep writing strong female characters?" To which the answer was, "Because you keeping asking that question." It shouldn't be controversial that female characters are portrayed as complex people, or that someone just happens to have had a same-sex relationship, yet here we are.
    Side note: if you want to cite it, that was Joss Whedon. It's a fairly well-known speech he gave.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Czhorat View Post
    I'm saying that the fantasy-world mechanic (scanty armor is protection for female) and the character's personality (and, therefore, choices) are entirely the author's decision.

Google results are personalized; your Google results and mine will be different based on whatever information Google has on our history and demographics.
    I thought Google just found the most-viewed images/links, did not know that.

Andthe way you phrased it before made it sound a bit like "Scantily-clad woman means author is a perv", so thanks for clarifying.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by notthephonz View Post
    What about Shojo?
    That didn't exactly work out well for him did it. Its quite possible that had he been more up front with his paladins, then Miko would have been on the side of the defenders, and Azure City would not have fallen.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I see a couple of gladiator-type pieces which, while cool looking, weren't actually designed to be armor. Leather jackets are more armor than gladiator wear. Everything else is either full (or parts of) armor, or clothes.
    'Leather armour' as fantasy gaming uses the term is fiction, anyway. Nobody ever wore what's essentially a leather jacket or coat for protection. Leather bikini 'armour' just drops a healthy dose of sexism and objectification on top of it all.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I believe this makes Bandanna the OotS's first openly gay major character. As opposed to Vaarsuuvius who is quite clearly the OotS's first openly closed unknown sexuality main character of deep confusion on the part of readers.

It will be interesting to see what sub-plot ensues to obtain the necessary coin.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    My original point was that women in the OOTS series do not and have never worn ridiculously impractical armour. As someone else mentioned, obviously Sabine is an exception. I showed that there were male armours with a LOT less fabric to them than Haley's old outfit.
    Like I said, that wasn't "armor" so much as "decorative leather."

It was deliberately designed not to be protective. You can tell on account of how they don't cover much of anything, especially the parts important to keeping you alive.

Even Haley's desert armor is rather impractical for defense without magic, although the degree of protection just plain leather armor gives you is already pretty small.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #157

SamuraiGuy

So apparently all clothing choices of female characters depict the author's views on women? Are you telling me if women are scantily-clad, it's not because it's in-character?

Well, I don't know what you googled.

Out of the first dozen pictures:
    Total number of men in armour (or male mannequins, there are a lot of mannequins) that bares the midriff or more: 4
    Total number of pieces of armour that look like "sexy" wear rather than actually looking like armour: 2
    Total number of very-close-to-naked-women who came up in that search for some reason: 0

Have a screenshot to prove it.
    My results:
    First 9 look functional.
    Next 3 after that look like fetish wear.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #158

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelung View Post
    Somehow, knowing Bandana's mother is a blonde, make me think if Julio giving her the captain position is not simply heritage.

And yes, I want to buy action figures of OotS as well. Will we have a kickstarter for it?

Spoiler: Bechdel Test stuff, to avoid derailing
    Show

The Bechdel Test is not a test to see if the artwork is favorable to gender equality. Neither a test to check its quality. Or even its association on gender issues.

Just that it has women represented. The women in question can be as bad or as good as a character than any other in the work. Or the work itself.

If the test sounds to you like a pretty easy standard to meet, it is. That's the whole point: To shock you that too many loved movies and series fail on this simple test.
    I took the dark-skinned male at the wheel who is receiving orders from Julio to be her father.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes. Because the author created those characters out of thin air, and could have chosen to create them differently if he had wanted to. The choice to create only women for whom it is "in-character" to be scantily clad is, itself, depicting the author's views on women.

or

Yes. Because when something occurs over and over across a swath of characters that have nothing in common with each other except for being female, then it becomes untenable to claim that it is, in fact, a result of the character's innate personality traits and not a reflection of the author's views on the one unifying trait: their gender.

Pick one.
    If it was all the women in a series (and none of the men), then yeah, that would be true. But I didn't say ALL women were scantily clad. I meant SOME women in a series. I can't remember if the person I was arguing against said 'some' or 'all'. I can't really check, because my laptop hates posting on the forums for some reason.
    Show

All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    So.. Keep the bard?
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I believe this makes Bandanna the OotS's first openly gay major character. As opposed to Vaarsuuvius who is quite clearly the OotS's first openly closed unknown sexuality main character of deep confusion on the part of readers.

It will be interesting to see what sub-plot ensues to obtain the necessary coin.
    It is quite possible V is also gay.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In the flashback panel of Bandana's childhood, should Julio look younger? Maybe not quite so grizzled?

(Eta, apart from that inconsequential detail, loved the comic)
    Last edited by Zea mays; 2014-07-25 at 10:05 AM.

All numbers are grammatically correct

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    but not confirmed, and V certainly isn't very open about it if that's the case.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, new strip. Hey guys, what'd I miss? Sexual representation, female characters indicative of author's views on women, blah blah blah...

Urgh. The two chicks are alone in the same room together for like a single strip and they start having an extended discussion about clothes. This is why a mostly male party is important, people.

*flees*

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That didn't exactly work out well for him did it. Its quite possible that had he been more up front with his paladins, then Miko would have been on the side of the defenders, and Azure City would not have fallen.
    How long did he rule before it fell apart? I mean, the Galactic Republic fell, but it spanned 25 millennia, so I'd say that system worked out pretty darn well. I think Shojo's tenure went quite well.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How long did he rule before it fell apart? I mean, the Galactic Republic fell, but it spanned 25 millennia, so I'd say that system worked out pretty darn well. I think Shojo's tenure went quite well.
    Do you perhaps not recall Meatloaf Day? The only reason he wasn't killed was because he basically spent the rest of his life letting the nobles think he wasn't doing anything.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So... Shojo is Palpatine? Well, I don't think that's the right era for Palpatine, but still.
    Last edited by Socksy; 2014-07-25 at 09:45 AM.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

17. - Top - End - #167

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    And also quite possible that V is not. And quite possible that V is male. And quite possible that V is female. And quite possible that V's divorced spouse is male. And quite possible that V's divorced spouse is female. The Giant has been quite clear that he has been deliberately ambiguous about this.

So with equal probability:
    1. V is male formerly married to female
    2. V is female formerly married to female
    3. V is male formerly married to male
    4. V is male formerly married to female

In choices (2) and (3) the children are either adopted or the result of sex-changing magic used by the couple in order to conceive.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my god. So many things this comic does right:
    1) lampshading the outfit thing
    2) lampshading past issues with the depiction of women in the comic in a funny, self-aware way that fits the medium because the characters ALWAYS lampshade earlier comic bits at any rate
    3) giving a female character visibility as a lesbian without fetishising her or making her story ENTIRELY about her queerness and nothing else

Thank you, Rich, I am genuinely impressed and touched in addition to the usual state of being entertained by your comic. Please keep this up, you quality human being, you.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No. Stories exist primarily for the purpose of delivering messages to one another, whether about human nature, or the world around us, or what have you.
    Gotta disagree with you there. Stories primarily exist for entertainment The purpose of delivering messages or morals or information is always secondary. A story that delivers a solid message but in a boring fashion fails as a story and is usually forgotten very quickly.

But an entertaining story with a horrible message can still be enjoyed for itself. Hell, the moral of the movie version of The Little Mermaid seems to be "it’s okay to change who you are and give up your identity for love." The Iliad boils down to: "It's worthwhile to start a war to kidnap an adulterous woman, but afterwards, you should kill her for letting you fight a war over her." Fight Club: "Reactionary masculinity is the only cure for the consumerist malaise. No girls allowed." The Lord of the Rings even contains this gem: "Progress is bad."

20. - Top - End - #170

And also quite possible that V is not. And quite possible that V is male. And quite possible that V is female. And quite possible that V's divorced spouse is male. And quite possible that V's divorced spouse is female. The Giant has been quite clear that he has been deliberately ambiguous about this.

In choices (2) and (3) the children are either adopted or the result of sex-changing magic used by the couple in order to conceive.
    Isn't it stated the kids are adopted?
    And their skin tone is very different to that of their parents, too, making it more obvious. I thought it was done like that to make it so that they could be any gender combination.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

21. - Top - End - #171

The only part I dislike is that the "desert armor" action figure doesn't bare her midriff. Changing her armor now so it doesn't show is fine, but the retcon is weird.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Heterosexual couples can adopt too, you know.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Do you perhaps not recall Meatloaf Day? The only reason he wasn't killed was because he basically spent the rest of his life letting the nobles think he wasn't doing anything.
    Hiccups in the system, man. It's not smooth sailing 100% of the time.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    Between this and some of your previous statements, I have to ask: is there something inherently wrong with escapism? By being entertained by a story that might give you something emotionally while not being directly tied to real life issues?
    Could I ask you, by the same token: is there something inherently wrong with escapism for people who aren't you? Personally, I'm pretty damn pleased by this strip. Having people who reflect me and identities I have makes it easier, not harder to enjoy escapism. I wish people could enjoy the abundant representation they already have instead of complaining whenever other people aren't actively excluded from seeing themselves in media. People like Bandana exist, and a casual mention of a girlfriend isn't anymore "forced" than a casual mention of a boyfriend, which, I suspect, you wouldn't even have noticed.

25. - Top - End - #175

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Haley and Sabine; Haley and Tsukiko.
    Thanks!

You mean like a guy telling a girl how sexism works?
    Do you think our genders automatically determine what we can or can't know about sexism? ;-)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    The only part I dislike is that the "desert armor" action figure doesn't bare her midriff. Changing her armor now so it doesn't show is fine, but the retcon is weird.
    Her desert outfit never bore her midriff. That was her original one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    There's a quote from Rich about how comics should be relevant in the real world; "otherwise, it's just pure escapism." In other words, every strip has a job to do.
    That doesn't invalidate their criticism if they feel the execution--not the message itself--was inorganic.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    I didn't think it did. The sleeves are a bit wider than I expected, but I was pretty sure it went straight down to her pants. Sample reference comic. I don't see a midriff there. (I mean, there is one, but it's very clothed.)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Do you think our genders automatically determine what we can or can't know about sexism? ;-)
    Well, obviously. That's how it works!
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't notice anything forced about the comic until I came here, actually. It tells us that they've got enough loot (barely) to fix the Mechane, Haley is wearing new armor, not the old stuff with a shirt under it, Bandana likes being in charge but is fully expecting Julio to show up and take his ship back at some point, and Haley's picked up some tendencies from Roy during her stint as leader in DStP. And a self-aware reference to previous comics that made me grin.

I just glazed over Bandana's girlfriend completely. Bandana's been given a thin body type, Haley has a busty/curvy one, so Bandana's armor doesn't fit Haley. Solution: insert female character connected to Bandana so Bandana has spare armor set to give Haley. An ex-girlfriend is a completely viable option. Visibility without making the character revolve around her sexuality. I liked it, anyways.

30. - Top - End - #180

Or, of course, you can do what Carl Critchlow did with Lymara in Thrud, and have the "leather bikini" played fully for distraction purposes - it's protective capabilities are near enough 100% if the wearer is never attacked because their opponents are too busy gawping at the amount of exposed flesh.

Another possible real world example are Gladiatrix's - I know Gladiators had the various forms of arms and armour, but did their female counterparts do so as well? Or did they just fight in less ritualised attitre? Did they even have their own forms? (Seriously, does anyone know of a good book on the subject?)

And given that different cultures have different views on what's acceptable or not, did Gladiatrix's wear the same amount as the men, did they cover up more, or even have more on show to play to the crowd?