1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lentrax draws bad manga

See for yourself at here.

Seriously though, this is the first time I really want critiques to enhance my abilities. If there is like a thing you want me to try and get miaka to do, like a pose or something, I will try and draw and have you all see what I did wrong so I can try and make it better? Would that be something some of you wonderful people here help me with doing?

The feelings I kept deep inside are now screaming at the top of their lungs.

Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you can remember that-
    You are not alone

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lentrax draws bad manga

I have no requests, but I would like to offer criticism. I think the individual components of the character are fairly well done, but there are some things to work on.

Focus on getting the proportions down first. I get the feeling you draw each part individually. The reason I say that is that while individual parts are well-detailed, they're out of proportion with one another, producing a number of distracting anatomical anomalies. I'd advise starting with broad strokes, getting the general form down. Only then should add your intricate details.

Overall though, I think it's quite promising. Keep it up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for that. I have been drawing a 'full figure' but I am still trying to figure it out.

I'm sure the more I do, the better it will get. I hope.

The feelings I kept deep inside are now screaming at the top of their lungs.

Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you can remember that-
    You are not alone

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

My advice might not be what you're looking for, but I think it would help nonetheless: stop drawing manga... for now.

Its a drawing style, and I'm not disputing that, but the core problem I find when people want to draw manga is that the vast, vast majority of the time is that the person lacks fundamentals. Understanding of anatomy, gesture, form and perspective are what people typically state fundamentals being, and when you're drawing manga, you're not really learning those. At its core, like all cartooning, manga is a form of symbols and stylizations. By this I mean, what you've drawn for a nose isn't actually what a nose looks like, but it is interpreted/seen as one. The eyes you've drawn isn't actually what eyes look like, but it is interpreted/seen as a pair of them. But what makes a good cartoon, and what makes for a bad cartoon, is understanding the basics of art and drawing. Yes, I'm sure there are people who make a good living and are talented at cartooning and drawing manga, but having a good understanding of what you're trying to represent is a pretty big part of art in general, but especially so in cartoons and manga.

I would recommend that you draw from life. People, fruit, places, objects. Understanding objects helps you portray them on paper better. I'm certainly not saying that you have to become perfect at drawing from life in order to even begin cartooning, mind you, or that you should never touch base with manga again. But this is coming from someone who spent years drawing manga trying to be a good artist, after learning fundamentals, and learning to understand what I'm trying to portray, I'm much more satisfied with the quality of my work. This was after a few months after I began learning fundamentals, and this was a few months ago while doodling. Not saying I'm perfect, but I am more satisfied with what I do, and I'm able to see where I can improve, and where I can grow.

I would also advise avoiding any/all "How to Draw Manga" book. They don't teach you how to develop your own art, or teach you how to understand what you're drawing; all they do is teach you how to redraw their work.
    Avatar drawn by LostOne, many praises and prayers be to he.
    I am writing a post-love romance novel. Please ask me about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Your $0.02 is a very large $0.02, Cardea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Specifically, avoid any part of a "How To Draw Manga" book that tells you how to draw faces. Staple those pages shut. They're usually terrible anyways.
    The parts where it tells you how to use dynamic lines and basic shapes to draw poses can stay.

The fundamental difference between 'Manga' style and pretty much any other humanoid style are the faces. The rest just boil down to a difference in detail. Learn how to draw human bodies well, and you can draw pretty much every other style just by changing how well you define your muscles and how stylized you draw the faces.

Spoiler: Not Amazing but Somewhat Useful Advice Below
    Show

If you must, eyeball art, but do not trace. Eyeballing a pre-existing 2-D work is as good as drawing from life in terms of practicing making what you see translate exactly into what you draw, but lacks the practice of reducing 3-D to 2-D.
    Try eyeballing a piece until your work looks exactly like their work, then go somewhere else, and try to reproduce the image again exactly from your head. This will help you work on bringing images from your imagination onto paper.
    Additionally, while working from preexisting art, try to sketch out what a character would look like without hair, clothing, and facial features before you start adding details.
    Participate in Avatar Theme Week!
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

Amazing avatar for Fey Week by smuchmuch.

Spoiler: Active Avatar Commission Status
    Show
    Large Project: 5/5
    Small Project: 0/0 Closed for now.
    Project numbers are updated in real-time. Slots open and close at artist's discretion.
    If you wish to pm me for a commission, provide as many references as you can.