New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Are these feats overpowered? Also, do they even work?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Oh God, where is Grod?
    You rang?

These feats are hilarious. Arithmancy would be pretty quick if you did the math ahead of time, but Sacred Geometry... I think I have a new favorite feat. It's just absurd on so many levels. It might be cool if it were a once per day thing-- then it becomes a sort of last-ditch power option that the whole table can get in on. But every turn... eesh.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caimbuel View Post
    The only limiting action is doing math, for those that are freaky good like my wizard player this is OP, he did 14 tests in last nights game, took upto 1 min each and made it 13 out of 14 times. I allowed him to roll and math it out before his turn. Biggest effect I saw was casting quickened lvl 1's and 2's. Allowed a ton more versatility to a wizard. I honestly cant say they even remotely needed it. He is going to train back out of it.
    Why would they use quicken over other things? They could make a bunch unavoidable level 1 daze spells that causes the opponent to fall over and can hit multiple targets. It can also make the dc to resist spells very hard even with low level spells or make them do a lot of damage if you care about that.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Sacred Geometry is needlessly and stupidly complicated... and totally overpowered.
    Sadly, from now on, I'll be condemned to see it in so many TO builds that my brain hurts...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    You rang?

These feats are hilarious. Arithmancy would be pretty quick if you did the math ahead of time, but Sacred Geometry... I think I have a new favorite feat. It's just absurd on so many levels. It might be cool if it were a once per day thing-- then it becomes a sort of last-ditch power option that the whole table can get in on. But every turn... eesh.
    I mean, it's exploitable. Yay. With the way skills work, there's probably no reason not to take this feat.

Looking at the fluff, it sounds like you're telling the universe that 1 does, in fact, equal 3, through fallacious misuse of calculus. Thanks, math.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

I just love how you get more power by doing math outside the game. Makes me think we'll end up sending in cereal box tops to gain a couple of GP ingame.

Think there'll be a melee version of it? For every point of Acrobatics you can attempt one shot with a basketball and deal one extra point of damage for every 3 shots that score. Usable Dex mod times per day, obviously. I think that's around the right balance point.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Someone on the Paizo boards posted this late last night.

Calculating Mind

It's a feat chain. Because of course it is, this is Pathfinder after all.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Dude View Post
    Someone on the Paizo boards posted this late last night.

Calculating Mind

It's a feat chain. Because of course it is, this is Pathfinder after all.
    Eh, once you have enough points in knowledge (engineering) using d8 instead of d6 won't help much.

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Eh, once you have enough points in knowledge (engineering) using d8 instead of d6 won't help much.
    I'm complaining less about the power increase than Paizo's love for feat chains that have one gem with lots of garbage attached to them.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm complaining less about the power increase than Paizo's love for feat chains that have one gem with lots of garbage attached to them.
    Hush, hush.

Welcome to Pathfinder.

We need a garbage OP mundane feat now. I feel too dirty in the brain, so I need sword dirt. I just got the idea to have a Druid/Synthesist/BeastmorphVivisectionist/ArcherCleric party, and I'm caster'd out.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah but in this case the garbage is attached to the end so it really doesn't matter, no one has to take it to get to the feat they want.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

This feat is pretty great in how it requires the player of the crazy math wizard to act as a crazy math wizard, but it's also pretty crazy in how long time it would take once you get past low levels.

I can maybe see it working for Sorcerers, since they need two turns to cast the spells and can math it out in between, but for wizards? Sheesh. I'd personally adjust the casting time to take as many turns as are needed for the player to figure out the puzzle, but I doubt that would be a popular solution. Especially since wasting three turns of actions for a failed spell would be pretty terrible.

What on earth were the designers thinking of when they made the feat?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Spamalot in the Playground

Isn't there still a practical limit on how much you can go nuts with this?

"You can apply any number of metamagic effects to a single spell, provided you are able to cast spells of the modified spell's effective spell level."

So you can't, say, try to quicken all your spells at 2nd level, because you need to be able to cast 4th-level spells before you can use quicken, and you can't attempt to Enlarge + Empower + Maximize all your spells until you can cast 6ths etc. (And even when you can do the former, you can only try to autoquicken cantrips until you can cast 5ths, at which point you can try to autoquicken your 1sts etc.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-27 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

It may be free metamagic up to your normal casting cap, but it is still FREE METAMAGIC!

Throw on extend to everything, throw dazing on all of your damage over time spells, Persistent Spell all those spells 2 below your highest to make saving against them absurdly difficult, ect. What this feat essentially does is turn your low level spells into effects closer to your higher level spells (though obviously not QUITE as good, which is the reason we don't really like to pay full price for most metamagics anyway).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

Some have pointed out apps to do it quickly, but I have a better point.
    Use apps to do it, then record the results, write them down on a peice of paper like a cheat sheet. Then you can just reference which rolls work and which ones wont.

And it was used successfully in a game 13/14 times. Let that sink in a moment. Assuming quicken spell was used so as to not boost the time [unless you play sorcerer, in which case it's no different to normal], that's a 7% ASF, that you can turn on and off at whim, in order to boost your spells by ludicrous amounts.

Edit: Is there a metamagic combination that makes cantrips into credible threats though?

Final Edit: Maybe. Dazing Highten Acid Splash. Apply the two -1 metamagic adjustment traits [there could be more] and pump your DCs. You're now throwing around 1d3 acid damage orbs of high DC vs Daze, which prevents the enemy from fighting back, only works if you allow hieghtens level adjustment to be nullified while letting it counting as actually being of higher level to count for Dazing. It allows a wizard to 1 on 1 cherry tap things [I killed you, with a cantrip!].
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-07-27 at 11:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Some have pointed out apps to do it quickly, but I have a better point.
    Use apps to do it, then record the results, write them down on a peice of paper like a cheat sheet. Then you can just reference which rolls work and which ones wont.
    I tried to convince someone I knew to make a program to calculate this, but he convinced me that this feat isn't to hard to use in practice. Especially when you remember certain key calculations to get close to the number you want and if you have too many dice just sort them in such a way they negate each other.

For example, for level 9th spell the key calculation is 4*5*5=100. Then you just need to get a 3, 5 or 9. from the rest of the dice.

So I start to feel this might be playable at the table, in real life, without taking much of the game time. Especially if you start a low level character, then you can fumble with 2 dice and 3 numbers, slowly working your way up each level, learning the key calculation and getting a feel for sorting dice. The numbers and calculation sound daunting, but it might be a lot less work then people think. I seriously want to try to play this, to see how right I am, but I don't really have a wizard lined up as my next character. (And then there is the issue of overpoweredness once you master math...)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arithmancy seems like a lot of work (which should honestly just be done before you get to playing - as Thanatosia pointed out, spells don't randomly change names) for the ability to turn a swift action into a +1 CL.

Sacred Geometry, on the other hand...

That feat is pretty spectacular. Practically getting two metamagic for the price of one feat is pretty awesome on its own (I say practically because it seems you can only use them when you're using Sacred Geometry (though since there's no limit on how many times you can use it per day, the real limit seems to be the "You cannot cast a spell at a level higher than your normal casting cap." thing)). Combine that with free spontaneous metamagic, with the only drawbacks being increased casting time (some of the time) and it being limited to your normal casting cap, however? That's not like icing on the cake - that's icing on the cake plus a whole 'nother cake complete with icing and ice cream to go with it.

I mean, seriously, why would you take one of those more situational metamagics when you could nab the feat you want, plus another one, by taking Sacred Geometry? Not to mention the fact that it looks like you could ignore any prereqs for the metamagics you choose for Sacred Geometry (the feat says "select two metamagic feats you do not yet have," not "select two metamagic feats you do not yet have but meet the prerequisites for." after all). Spectacularly good. Stupidly good, even. Why wouldn't you take this?

Oh, yeah, there's some basic arithmetic involved.

Which shouldn't stop you. Yeah, it can slow things down a bit, but really, not as much as you might think. Per Yanisa:

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    For example, for level 9th spell the key calculation is 4*5*5=100. Then you just need to get a 3, 5 or 9. from the rest of the dice.
    Which basically looks like this:

Geometrician: "I'm going to cast a spell with Sacred Geometry, and an effective spell level of nine! I have seventeen ranks in Knowledge (Engineering) so I roll 17d6!"
    Geometrician: rolls dice
    Geometrician: "I got a pair of 5s and a 4 here, so I'll multiply those together to get one hundred! Now I need to a get one, a three, or a seven, and get all of my other dice to negate each other, or produce ones, which I can then multiply my previous sum by to get my desired number...okay, I'll take one of my 4s and these two 1s and a 2, which make 0 (since 4-(2+1+1)=0), and these two 6s make another zero (6-6=0), and these two 4s (4-4=0), and these two 3s and this 6 (6-(3+3)=0), and these two 1s (1-1=0), and that leaves me with this 3 which added to my (5*5*4) from before equals one hundred three, one of my prime constants!"

Nota Bene: It took me 18 seconds to do the above calculation, no joke. Just pair off or otherwise combine the dice in front of you, and bam, there you have it.
    So yeah, you slow the game down a little bit (or not at all, if you're allowed to pre-roll) and have a small chance of failure, but in the end, get free metamagic, spontaneous metamagic, and two free metamagic feats in one fell swoop. Not quite Leadership, but still quite powerful.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

17. - Top - End - #47

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Isn't there still a practical limit on how much you can go nuts with this?

"You can apply any number of metamagic effects to a single spell, provided you are able to cast spells of the modified spell's effective spell level."

So you can't, say, try to quicken all your spells at 2nd level, because you need to be able to cast 4th-level spells before you can use quicken, and you can't attempt to Enlarge + Empower + Maximize all your spells until you can cast 6ths etc. (And even when you can do the former, you can only try to autoquicken cantrips until you can cast 5ths, at which point you can try to autoquicken your 1sts etc.)
    1. As above it's still free metamagic.
    2. You can take SG multiple times with each SG being equivalent to two metamagic feats.
    3. You can use metamagic feats without requiring prerequisites.
    4. Spontaneous Metamagic

I've run through about a dozen attempts and finding a solution has been trivial each time, taking at most five minutes. My main concern is trying to find out if a roll even has the possibility of success.

On the plus side, this actually opens up several builds that I'd been wanting to try out. On the minus side, it's cheesy and will probably not be open at most tables (if not for balance reasons, then because people will probably use it without a good grasp on doing the math quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Want some tips, save odd dice rolls for the end as all final numbers are odd. And odd * even is even, even * even is even, so you need to save atleast 1 odd to make the final number odd. The other feat to make it d8's instead of 6'ss is a waste, plain and simple, if your knowledge in engineering is capped you should have 95%ish chance per the couple hundred rolls we have done. This from someone who does calculus in his head. And my players are math geek/roleplay nerds.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

For those who were wondering, Yes, people have already written scripts to do the Sacred Geometry math for you. Arithmancy, too. Both are in Python.

Here is a free, in browser Python interpreter.

Oh, and the metamagic feat that no one has brought up yet in relation to this feat. Dazing, Persistent, Empowered, and Extend are all nice, but don't forget Echoing Spell.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2014-07-28 at 07:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

These feats are just Countdown for 3.5.

I don't like them because they are completely metagamey, also some players would find them easy to use — other players, not so much.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #51

DwarfClericGuy

So my good friend Al wrote up a little program to have a look at this... and after setting it to do 1000 rolls for every combination of skill ranks and spell levels, it turns out that 12 ranks in Knowledge (Engineering), no Calculating Mind necessary, the chance of coming out with a valid solution is 100% for every effective spell level.

All credit to GitP user alcarithemad for this one.

Of course, the primes can be extrapolated further for higher spell levels, in the case of getting higher-level spell slots. Not sure what the required ranks would be for those.
    Last edited by AnonymousPepper; 2014-07-28 at 12:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm....When you roll dice, do you have to use all the results? it seems like it gets a fair bit less ridiculously hard if you can just select which dice to use.

23. - Top - End - #53

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Hmm....When you roll dice, do you have to use all the results? it seems like it gets a fair bit less ridiculously hard if you can just select which dice to use.
    Yes, it's all the dice.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Yes, it's all the dice.
    And it doesn't hurt your ability to succeed the rolls at all.

Here's the source for sd.af/geo/: https://github.com/AlcariTheMad/geo

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alcarithemad View Post
    And it doesn't hurt your ability to succeed the rolls at all.

Here's the source for sd.af/geo/: https://github.com/AlcariTheMad/geo
    Showoff.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It seems imperfect. I tried a level 2 spell with 3 ranks and it worked. I tried it with Calculating Mind and it failed.

Seeing as Calculating Mind still lets you use d6s, the latter attempt should have succeeded as well.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Notes on using the program:
    1. I wish that the program displayed the dice results even it failed to find the appropriate result.
    2. Calculating Mind doesn't replace all the d6s with d8s. It's a player choice to how many d8s or d6s that you can use, but that isn't represented in the program.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

If the typical player needs a script to see the effects of a certain feat, then that feat is badly written.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Notes on using the program:
    1. I wish that the program displayed the dice results even it failed to find the appropriate result.
    2. Calculating Mind doesn't replace all the d6s with d8s. It's a player choice to how many d8s or d6s that you can use, but that isn't represented in the program.
    1: Sure, done.
    2: Calculating mind is so useless I didn't see the point of allowing mixing.

This takes a pretty simplistic approach to solving it, so for low ranks you may be able to find solutions where it fails.
    Last edited by alcarithemad; 2014-07-28 at 01:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alcarithemad View Post
    This takes a pretty simplistic approach to solving it, so for low ranks you may be able to find solutions where it fails.
    So it isn't mathematically perfect then? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of automating it in the first place?