New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: House Garish, of the Mountains of the Moon. Realm of the Mad Lord

Spoiler
    Show
    "No." Tanar says. "It's best if we don't get too many people involved in this." As he continues tracking down the bandits he says "If you wish to leave, be my guest. But I have to do this."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Bartram - Marlyn
    Show
    Bartram looks surprised at his sister approach.

"Ah, my dear sister. Always a pleasure to see you. I take it you handled Klain Sirus already. Hope nobody from the castle was involved, as riling up the clans now would be problematic."

"As for your timing, I am busy organising our delegation for the Baron's upcoming tournament and I might have an important task for you."

"I was about to visit mother for information on the Baron, which will benefit your task as well. Care to come along?"
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Tanar
    Show

Glim, not feeling safe to make his way back or to stay where he is, follows close to--keeping look out and preparing to duck.

You come back to where you were when you spied the figures. You don't seem to notice them now... but there are men about in the trees. More Eagle Riders? Unfortunately, the trail ends at the path, likely stamped out. However, on the other side of it, if the men of the Bear didn't go up or down the trail before re-entering the forest... you could probably pick it up again. Crossing the path would mean certainly being spotted by someone, with all this traffic about.

As you ponder this, you notice someone is up the road, approaching you. It's some man foreign to these lands, blond with a short full beard and short hair that stands up on its own. He carries a short sword with a heavy blade and a small bow. Before you can bring your mind to action, you see Grontar beside him, at the head of several Eagle Riders, mounted.

To continue following the trail, you have to cross the road. If you wait in hiding, Grontar may pass you by. And he does seem to be clearing out whatever it was ambushing you before.

Glim waits, too nervous to call out to Grontar.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tanar waits for Grontar and his men to pass before resuming tracking down the bandits. "Why are there so many people today?" Tanar asks Glim quietly.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler: Marlyn and Bartram
    Show
    "As long as whatever task you have in mind won't jeopardize my betrothal or the alliance that father hopes to get therefrom, I am, of course, willing to help."

Her eyes examined her younger brother. She could see the ambition, feel the hunger for power. But she could never tell what motivated it. Was it a sense of duty to his people or was it something more ... personal? The fact that she knew her own family less well than many of the smaller folk around the castle might have upset her, if she knew any other way. As it was, it simply unsettled her to be around him like this.

"I think I'd just get in the way of your meeting with mother, however. I'll wait outside the chamber for you to finish, and you can tell me what you need from me, then."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Spoiler: Runa
    Show
    "Good day t'you too, Urel. Workin' hard, I see." Runa chuckles at the old smith. She liked Urel, nicknames and all. Gods knew she'd been called far worse. "You found an apprentice who can hold his hammer straight yet?" It was only half a jest. When the smith passed on, the list of those who might replace him was short and miserable. Of course, that was mostly Urel's fault, but that wasn't a subject for a mere sworn sword to bring up in passing.

Trekking on, Runa readied herself for dealing with Ser Sillis. It was unpleasant at the best of times, and the request Marlyn was making wasn't the sort to make him any happier. "I've a message for you, from Lady Marlyn." She handed him the letter and stood at attention, waiting for his objections.
    Last edited by Propagandist; 2014-07-30 at 08:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

"When I sight him, I'll introduce you!" Urel laughs back. He waves as you go by.

Upon reading the letter, Sillis has an unhappy expression. He thinks for an extended time - occasionally glaring at you, curious in your part in this - and then speaks at last. "Very well..." he says, strangely agreeable. "Let the lady know it will be done as she asks." He then turns, disengaging to reunite himself with his business. You didn't even need to imply gate duty as was planned...

A thought strikes you. It seems strange Sillis had forgotten to give you some duty, or at least complain that you should go and busy yourself. If you had been given a strange, inconvenient order like this, mightn't you also work out an elaborate way around it? And if Sillis did intend to do as said, why hasn't he sent word to Lad and Janel so that they're rested for their night's watch?

It's hard to be certain... but your suspicions are that Lad and Janel may not be at the gate tonight.

((Succeeded on Awareness: Empathy [Roll of 9]. Just letting you know, so you don't think I'm driving you like cattle towards a story goal .))

Last edited by Mr. Mask; 2014-07-30 at 08:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Glaure
    Show

You might be able to outrun your pursuers, as they don't seem to be willing to take horses into the thicket, and Myshah is making good ground. Or, you could hide, or lay an ambush, or surrender. The whole situation appears a bit more desperate than you might like.

"Glaure!" you hear a voice shout, as the figures are beginning to close in, "if it's you show up! It's Grontar here!"

Well, that makes surrender more attractive... assuming its the truth. If it isn't, it means they spotted Myshah--which is bad.

What do you do?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    As his sister speaks, Bartram listens casually, while he sets his mind to work.

How can she be satisfied to get married off to the lowest bidder.... a barbarian chieftain none the less. Father's defensive thinking will ruin our ambitions..., and her life...

"No, no, it's nothing like that. It's a diplomatic mission. We need someone to get information on the setup of the tournament. Both the public as well as the unpublished information. It would be a nice get out for you and you'd learn of the current standings in the realm. And of course the Baron. It'll just be a few days anyways."

Now he eyes her closely, with a smile, waiting for her reaction.

Spoiler: Empathy
    Show
    Both in words as her feelings.
    To that end he uses Empathy. (4d6b3)[7]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Glaure
    Show
    What now? A voice...saying he's Grontar
    Not many people would know my name...the question is wether he'd think better to just kill me even if I'm me...

Well, can't think like that. In the swamp it is always a good idea to at least trust your allies. Howland always trusted Lord Stark after all

"GRONTAR! IT'S ME, I'M COMING OUT WITH MYSHAH"

I come out of the woods with Myshah by my side.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Grontar
    Show

"Glaure, you say?" Guy asks, no less confused, but slightly reassured. "I'm not sure what business this man is getting up to, but I hope he will end it soon."

You listen for a reply, but so far you hear none. One of your officers goes to alert the men of the left flank that it may be Glaure. You hope it is... now your men will hesitate for his sake, whether he's there or not.

Now... to continue the pursuit? "GRONTAR!" a voice shouts, interrupting the question. "IT'S ME, I'M COMING OUT WITH MYSHAH!"

You wait, Guy's hand on his sword in anticipation, your eagles though still hesitant poised for friend or foe. Then, a bear ambles out, a man riding on its back. It is Glaure.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Show
    Sillis's reaction puts Runa on her guard. Normally you could hand the man a sack of gold dragons and Sillis would complain they were heavy.

"Of course, Ser Sillis." She salutes, voice calm and professional as ever. Her eyes move over the herd of green boys Sillis was laboring to turn into archers for a moment. "You look to have your hands full, Captain. Should I tell Ser Lad and Ser Janel of their new duty as well?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Show
    "Assuming you can get Father's permission, and assure my safety for the trip, I have no objections." Marlyn was cool, and hard to read when dealing with her brother. She kept her true thoughts and feelings hidden from her family, as she was always taught to remain aloof and distant. Her bearing was a mysterious wall of tragic beauty and undefinable grace. Her eyes seemed like emerald reflections of the beholder's own intentions.

Spoiler: Passive Deception
    Show
    Her passive Deception to resist Empathy is 17. (Deception 4 (Acting 1B))

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

You wait, Glim restless to at last be on your way. You're well hidden enough, amongst the leaves and shade of the forest. Flies persist about you, tempting you to strike at them and give yourself up. Stiffness teases your joints, the benefits of your run abandoning them as they plead again for the thrill of motion. These things weren't unusual, you were used to them as a hunter... but you can't remember having met a man who likes them.

"Glaure!" Grontar shouts, "if it's you show up! It's Grontar here!"

Glaure? Was he here? ...Where?

Silence answers Grontar, chiding your question. With no answer, Grontar turns to give new commands to his eagles.

"GRONTAR!" Grontar turns, looking down the path toward the source of the voice. "IT'S ME, I'M COMING OUT WITH MYSHAH!" ...It sounds like Glaure.

Grontar waits. The blond man beside him waits, his hand on his sword. From the trees you can see the Eagle Riders, ready as though expecting a foe. Grontar never has liked Glaure much...

The climax... Myshah, Glaure's bear, steps out of the wood, Glaure on her back. He looks wounded...

"Surely we can now show ourselves?" Glim protests, sharply. All these events seem to be causing the group to delay before you. "By such rate, we quicker to and done when explained to Grontar and Glaure and seen them well, than if we wait and go by without them. Perhaps they have seen something of help."

Glim is tired, was scared more than once, and has had time to realize you've been ordering him around like a common soldier. He spoke loudly enough that you are lucky it didn't give you away. If you disagree with him, it will likely be course for argument.

((Expect an intrigue to convince Glim to wait.))

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Sillis wasn't paying attention to a word you said... at first. He springs around and looks back up to you, sharp. He fails to disguise that he is aback, considering your realization of his intentions a supernatural unlikelihood. Either you had caught him off guard, or his personal estimates did injustice to your intellect.

His look softens, becoming annoyed but thoughtful. At last he says, "Very well... you may send for them, and let them know I have new orders for them."

Not send them and give them their new orders, as it should normally be. But then, you yourself could become creative in how these orders are interpreted. You get the feeling Sillis is concerned about your relation to her lady Marlyn, in more matters than this. If he's going to pull off any guile, it will have to be very cautious. He wasn't an unclever man... so you best be alert.

The extent he goes to in order to protect these men from these orders makes you wonder about Sillis. But, from the time you've known him, and your many often unpleasant encounters, you still don't feel he could be involved with illegal activity. Aside from seeing the orders as unnecessary and obstructive, you are starting to think he might feel.... threatened, by you. This childish disposition will no doubt cause you more work in future...
    ((Good roll on Awareness--you read Sillis pretty well.))

Do you talk more with Sillis? Or go looking for Janel and Lad? Or something else?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Bartram nods in agreement and at the words "my safety" his eyes show some emotion.

"Of course, I wouldn't dare suggest such a trip without doing so. You should of course take Runa, and a delegation of the guard, and a couple of Sers to at some stature to your party. I would never ever let something happen to you again."

His voice rises to a pitch as he says this, but he quickly regains control over it.

"Now, I'm going to see mother, you're of course still free to join me."

He heads over to his mother.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Show
    Marlyn bowed her head respectfully to her younger brother, and murmured her assent in simple tones.

She accompanied him, but remained behind and unobtrusive. A simple observer rather than a participant in the interaction between her brother and her mother. The copper-gold haired noble girl was best when she was acting ornamentally.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "You are right." Tanar steps out of his cover. "Glaure, you are wounded, what happened?" He asks calmly without even greeting Grontar. He walks out on the road. "We are looking for men of the Bear tribe. Have any of you seen any passing?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: Grontar,Tanar, Glaure
    Show

Seeing the wounded Glaure riding the bear e make a wry grin, he did not like the bond between those two, but at least it was a fearsome sight, then looking at Guy, after seeing also Tanar coming out of the wood he replies to the people now joining the group

"The only bear men I hear off were five and Guy" he pointed to the handsome fighter near him "killed the five of them single handedly, I do not think there are many more coming, or at least I do not expect large groups to come unnoticed so close to the fortress."

Then he shook his head looking at Glaure's wound

"You should rest, and we will bring you to the fortress, there someone will take care of the wounds, you can travel on the ore cart, if riding that beast is more tiring for you"

Then again he looked at his men "Form up and let's head to the Fortress" then to Guy "The two of them are loyal servants of Lord Garish as well, Glaure the Frog Eater and Tanar, the bastard, one of the best fighters at his service"

Grontar was not famous for being sympathetic or particularly talkative.
    Last edited by tatonzolo; 2014-07-30 at 04:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: The cool kids
    Show
    "Also master of the hunt." Tanar added."Five men by yourself, that's pretty impressive." Tanar said to Guy. "If I may ask, what was your reason for killing them?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Double Curved Bow Bros and that other dude
    Show
    "I'd be Glaure. Master of Hounds, Bears, and every animal that my old gods and your new decided to give us."

"Aniway, I was taking a look at a mess of blood that is in that direction leading to those woods, when I heard some sound. I took cover and threw some fire at my ambushers, but before running they managed to land a lucky arrow in me. I pushed it out, didn't think I'd meet someone who could help before getting to the castle"

"Aniway, no, I'll ride in the confortable fur of my own bear instead of whatever hard rock you carry in that cart thank you. I'm not a dragon with scales that would find rock, soft. Yet"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Glaure. Grontar. Tanar.
    Show

Ser Glim removes himself from the bushes, beside Tanar. He looks in twelve directions at once, noting all the archers who may strike at him in surprise. The Riding Eagles were indeed surprised to a high extent, beyond the general shock that makes you shoot at things that move out of the corner of your sight or come out of bushes. How hadn't they noticed them?

Glim was an overweight, strong man of about forty years. He has tight leathery skin and complexion, with a large nose, ears, and wide lips; all near-swollen in appearance. His hair is very short, brown with many grey streaks.

The eagles who flanked left return to Grontar's side, reclaiming their mounts. Tarrik - a young man with hair loose and long, carrying a fat knife at his side and a small bow with red-painted arrows - rides after the riding eagles who flanked right, planning to recall them. The eagles of the left flank murmur defensive comments about how those of the right did a poor job, letting two men slip by.

His apprehension dissipating, Guy smiles at the newcomers. "Good day to you, Masters of Beasts--both to hunt and to keep as your servants," he says. "I am Ser Guy Therash; soon to be of your house I dare claim." Guy is a handsome man, though his body shows sign of big, warm meals. "My reason for killing the five men was nothing a personal matter, for indeed I knew them not at first glance--though my suspicions that they had done wickedness were ripe. They came upon me in ambush, near came to surprising me--but each of them I have cut down."

Guy gestures from his hose, describing five vile vying villains, vexed and vanquished verily by his blade. "The first I described took to me from behind, but quick I turned and slashed upon his chest, and he retreated backward.
    "With said man away, I turned to face the others that assailed me. The second I told of tried for to lay me low with his axe, but he was clumsy with his feet and swing and so I took no trouble in dispatching him by a thrust into his chest. I then took him with my left arm and used his last life and body to defend myself, as if he were a shield on my arm.
    "The next man - the third who I gave description - he stuck so as to wound me but instead wounded his friend whom I held fast. I pulled free my sword from the belly of the second man my shield, and thrust him so that he fell in the way of the third brigand. Then, stepping forward, I thrust my blade so that it pierced both the second and third men in one thrust.
    "The fourth came to assail me, but quick was I to take my dagger and spend it through the air, where it met with that's enemy's neck and stopped him. I looked to the last man, and saw him dying of the cut to his chest and needed no longer for me to dispatch him. This is how I met and destroyed the men of the bear."

Guy points at the bushes to his left, where Glaure had before taken cover. "That is where the scene took place, and still the blood lies fresh as evidence to my encounter."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Marlyn. Bartram.
    Show

Marlyn in tow, Bartram heads to his mother's chambers. Her door guard, Aram, greets you. He is a young knight with long brown hair, his features sharp, tanned, and handsome. Such a door guard has been cause to rumours about your mother... ridiculous.

"Good day my lord, my lady," Aram bows. He opens the door to your mother's chamber and announces you. "My lady, your son and daughter to see you."

Your mother sits in a fine, soft chair beside a low table, also fine. The room is as decorated and welcoming as if it were intended to receive guests, though you cannot think of anyone entering her aside from family and her personal servants. A place of softness amongst the cold stone, but with a strong quality of sensibility. The decorations and accommodations of the room were indeed fine, but nothing had a great sense of lavishness or comfort beyond what should be expected.

Mother smiles at Bartram such that it could light a darkened room. Her hair is gold, long even when braided around her head, leading into a ponytail that reaches to her waist. The sight of her hair undone must be astonishing. Her eyes are as striking a green as Marlyn's, radiant as her complexion and beauty. More could be recognized of her body, but such would be entirely inappropriate. To this much little house, she was as fine a lady as any could hope for.

"My beloved," she says, tenderly, "come to me." As she looks from Bartram to Marlyn, she still smiles the same; but the room is dimmer for the relaxed light of her smile.

"My pretty ones," she continues, as she is approached, the door being shut behind you, "I am glad to welcome you into my sight. Has all been well; for each of you?"

Last edited by Mr. Mask; 2014-07-31 at 03:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    As his mother greets him, Bartram straigtens himself and seems to transform from the young lord before, to a teenager who is eager to please. It's clear that their relation is still very much that of a mother and son. He has almost forgotten about his sisters presence as he starts talking.

"It's good to see you mom. We're fine... Have you heard about the upcoming tournament? It's gonna be fantastic!!"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Bartram. Marlyn
    Show

"Oh, I knew you'd be excited for it," your mother says, also near to forgetting Marlyn's presence. "My dear boy seeing his first tournament... with all the knights of the land in their gleaming armour and all the splendours and sights of the world gathered in one place. I was only a little girl, younger than you when I saw my last tournament. Every day was a grand festival, with more sights than my eyes could take in. Amazing performances, and even more astounding feats of arms. Great lords and ladies from all over the realm, gathered to renew old friendships and discuss the highest matters. The best people of the world can be met in such places, and learned from."

Your mother had been looking to the ceiling, recounting her memories as she lovingly held her son's arms. She now looked at Bartram, straight on. "And you my shining sun, will be witness to all the things you will someday accomplish and become." After gazing at Bartram a moment longer, she was pulled to look at her daughter, Marlyn, by some unknown force.

"I expect you are also excited to attend the tournament, my dear?" she asks, simply.

Last edited by Mr. Mask; 2014-07-31 at 04:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: Grontar, Glaure, Tanar
    Show

Grontar shrugged as Guy made another go for telling the tale about killing the bear men, he then looked at Tanar and Glaure
    "We'll have time to talk on our way back to the fortress, I wonder what Ser Sellis will say" he said laughing before turning to Guy "We were interrupted a while back, maybe it's time to finish that small talk" he said with his menacing look in his eyes

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: The Badasses
    Show
    Tanar looked at Glaure. "I was attacked by a warlock who used fire. Before sticking an arrow in him. Are you saying that was you?" He looks to Guy. "Impressive, I am sure the lord will be more than happy to have you as a guard. And if the men of the bear are defeated, that means I won't have to track them down anymore."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Grontar. Glaure. Tanar
    Show

"Of course Ser," Guy nods at Grontar in agreement. "In all the excitement, I am afraid I forgot the placement of our conversation. But I am happy to talk further with my new friends in regards to any new matters."

There is a slight break in the conversation, in which Glim sees his chance. "I ought've said myself sooner," he began, stepping forward and standing straight. "I am Ser Glim Barm of House Garish. It is a pleasure to meet you, ser." He looks at the ground for a moment before continuing. "More the pleasure if... as I hope--that these men of the bear were the ones who did us a wrong. As I hope they are..."

"It is my most dear pleasure to know you as well, Ser Glim," Guy replies. "I do hope you can forgive me for not inquiring to yourself before. If I have done you gentlemen and your house any service, the fact alone makes this ever more joyful a day."

Glim's return smile had little strength to it. "Wish that I could say this day is joyful..." he near-murmured the reply, searching for words to describe the events of the day.

"What is it these men have done?" Guy asks, noticing Glim's unhappiness. "Were you tracking them for the sake of some recent crime?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: The Bear(ers)
    Show

He listened carefully to the exchange of courtesies between the two knights, he was far from being amused, he did not like those kind of small talk, he waited patiently for a break in their conversation to look at Guy

"I would prefer that in your excitement, you would not forget the important point of the conversation. Do not try to make a fool of me, I'm no liver eater." He said while walking towards the fortress

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Cool kids' club
    Show
    Tanar replied to Guy. "Yes, they killed someone who did not deserve to die. I am glad you brought them to justice."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature