New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost soldier

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lost soldier

Jace finds Tsubaki shouting at him, "No wai-" before he activates his anklets. He finds the magic go haywire and he finds himself being thrown into a stream of magic. Thrashing about as his location is being found out and as he gets thrown out of the stream of magic he finds himself landing with a thud inside a room, a small human child, no more than 12 years old is busy stringing a bow. He turns to see you and panic rises in his eyes. He shouts out, "Intruder!" and points his unstrung bow at your direction. The room is fairly comfortable with several chairs and a couch strewn about the room as well as two practice dummies in a corner and a table in the middle of the room. The room is 15 by 15.

Pretty much instantaneously before you have a chance to reply you see another human burst into the room. Black hair with a large tome in his hand he turns and glares at you, Who are you? How did you get here?

You hear the sound of rushing footsteps coming nearby.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2014-07-28 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Lost soldier

Jace steadies himself, still dizzy from the teleport. "Uh...I accidentally teleported from an underground magic prison ruled by an evil all-powerful mind stealer. Where am I?"
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2014-07-28 at 07:10 PM.
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

Wailing Death - Ryenos Shadowflare / Tyrael Lightbringer

My Homebrew: The Life Disciple

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The black haired man stairs at you intently, Inside an underwater magical prison ruled by an all powerful mad mage. More importantly to the question are you hostile or not. His tome seems to pulsate with energy.

Tsuabki telepathically whispers to you, I don't think the residents know the of mind stealer. He doesn't seem the type to announce his presence. When I was hear I still thought Halastar ruled the place as well. Still I think we might want to mention that we mean no harm.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

"Look, we mean no harm. The mind stealer a caster as well? Good to know I guess, unless that's just the lie he told you. How did you guys get such a nice room? 4 chairs and a couch?

Also knowledge arcana to figure out what kind of magic user this guy is:

(1d20+31)[43]

5 bucks says its that tome homebrew class
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The mage keeps his glare at you as the small child continues to futility try to string his bow. I have no idea what a "Mind stealer" is though I can guess by your rambling that it already has stolen a bit from you. And to answer your ramblings I created them, I am a wizard and thus have that kind of power I would suggest not playing coy or doing anything stupid while in my presence.

As the mage talks a door to the east slams open. Three figures show up, a Swordsman with Blue hair wielding a great sword and is wearing full plate armor slams open the door shouting, Hey are you guys alright? . Flanking him are two figures, one a orange haired man wearing white robes and a red haired woman wearing a golden breastplate while wielding a long halberd.

The mage sighs, It seems our resident mad mage has caused a teleporter to undergo some mental difficulties. He seems non hostile to us at least and has some of his cognitive facilities intact. I don't think he shall pose a threat Chrom.

Images of the individuals
    Spoiler
    Show

Black haired mage:
    Small Child:
    Blue Haired Swordsman
    Orange Haired Man:
    Red Haired Woman:

6. - Top - End - #6

Griffon

Jace sighs. "I'm not stupid, just joking around. I know what fabricate is; I can cast it myself. So you must all be prisoners? How did you get here and how long have you been here?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The mage seems to lose his cool for a moment, Well, you probably shouldn't be treating this like a joking matter!

The swordsman, seemingly called Chrom, raises his hand to try to calm everyone, Peace Soren. If he isn't here to fight us he can stay here as long as we want. We have enough supplies for him after all. We don't really have any place for you to sleep though. What is your name friend? Mine's Chrom, the Wizard is our tactician so forgive him for being a bit paranoid, his name is Soren, the man in the white robes behind me is Ryhs and the woman with the halberd is Titania and the child over there is Rolf. Chrom reaches a hand out towards Jace to lift him off from the floor.

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

Jace takes his hand. "My name is Jace. Nice to meet you all. A place you stay would be great. I'm sure I can also contribute by fabricating supplies. I was actually separated from my friends in a battle with some taint elementals -- in the heat of battle I accidentally teleported, and appeared here. I was with a druid, a shaman, a powerful warrior and my friend Tsubaki here." he says, holding out his sword. "This is Tsubaki. In her spare time she enjoys crossword puzzles, drinking blood, and turning into a talking sword!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Tsubaki demorphs herself, Tsuabki speaks a bit flustered, You don't need to embarrass me Jace. I generally don't like showing myself these days due to my condition and all. Pleased to meet all of you. Could you tell us which floor we are on? We came from the 2nd floor, the swamp floor when we teleported here. We would appreciate it if you could help us if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Chrom seems to think before sitting in one of the chairs, Ah you guys are newcomers. I thought Jace's earlier comments were just a bit small talk. Let me fill you guys in a bit on the situation then.

Soren intercedes, Chrom I really think a quick divination or two might make sure this isn't a trap. but Chrom continues, Thanks for the concern but I trust my gut on this one. Okay you guys got "Lucky" in teleporting you managed to bypass a good portion of the floors of test and didn't find yourself face first into a trap or further below into some of the floors passed Elysium. So, assuming you guys know about as much as the standard newbies let me try to fill you guys in. Take a seat this might take a bit, Rhys can you heal Jace's wounds? Titania I would like you to go assist Mia in guard duty. I doubt Halastar sent Jace but he might send something else as "Payment". Keep your eye's peeled. Soren stay here with me if you will and Rolf go get our guests some food.

Chrom's orders are followed and pretty much everyone follows them without hesitation it seems. Rhys seems to mutter a song of some sort and Jace feels and sees his wounds close rapidly.

Now where were we. So as you guys probably know you are in the Tower of Halastar, or just the tower as inhabitants call it in here. We don't really see ourselves as "prisoners" so to say Jace though it is accurate. Halastar is a mad and insane tyrant who messes with out lives at an annoyingly regular bases but at least he is somewhat honorable. He rarely breaks his own "rules" that he sets out for us.

But yes lets get to informing you guys. You two have bypassed floors 2-4, commonly referred to by inhabitants as the "Floors of test" simply because they tend to be fairly brutal and chaotic teaming with terrible monsters everywhere. The 5th floor is the "sanctuary floor" as its a floor where Halastar will not mess with the everyday life of the inhabitants. Most individuals who managed to luck their ways through the floors of test stay there and live out the remainder of their life. But its a fairly terrible place to live. Magic there causes a never ending hunger and exhaustion. Structures need to be continuously rebuilt as magic tears them apart over time. No fighting of any kind can take place there but thievery is rampant and trust is hard to build. Its a very depressing life. Those who train and try to forsake that life can try to take the "Challenge" of reaching another safe point, "Elysium" on the 10th floor. We generally call these people "Challengers" for obvious reasons. Thats what our little band is attempting to do. Elysium is a similar place to Sancturary except it has the makings of a rather nice living space and those who reach there are generally quite happy with their life. Getting to there you would think would be easier but its rather more difficult than the floors of test. Or at least more complicated. Halastar has placed less monsters in the way of the paths to the lower floors but he has placed cunning and sadistic traps.

As well, he has decreed that if anyone conquers the floors between Sancturary and Elysium they will be given control over Elysium and able to decree whatever they want in the city. And thus people have been warring and fighting and deciding alliances all to try to take over the floors. Right now there have been three main factions fighting, the Drow, currently stationed on the 6th floor. The floor we currently are on. They have control of pretty much the entire place except for a few pockets like this one and a couple areas with particularly dangerous traps. They are lead by a monstrous creature who maybe was once a Drow but got cursed with a unique form. We don't know his name but he fires arrows the size of spears and is a deadly warrior. The next faction is a mystery. We aren't sure if they are Halastar's monsters or something he brought in or a creation of a challenger or what. Its a race of red crystal like insectiod beings. They swarm, have some kind of hive mind and are reproducing rather rapidly it seems though it is hard to tell. They have complete control over the 7th floor and have corrupted and transformed the floor entirely to suit them. Below them is a floor filled to the brim with Naga and other such aquatic creatures. Information is a bit sparse on them as well but they seem to be working with the Drow to crush the infested hordes. Though how long that alliance will last is hard to tell. Below that is the 9th floor which isn't controlled by anyone it seems. The Naga used to hold it but they got pushed out by what appeared to be a swarm of plants and undead. Probably controlled by Halastar.

Below THAT is Elysium, the city I mentioned. You can try to go below that and "earn your freedom from the tower" but that is a rare task and many don't try to complete it and instead live out happily in Elysium. Now I will let Soren tell you some basic do's and don't of the tower.

Soren straightens himself up and begins speaking in a lecturing but serious tone. I shall mostly just preform a list of things and there reasons why not to do them. Don't teleport, it will bring you to a random location into the tower which will probably cause your death. Don't teleport out of the tower. It will fail and will definitely result in your death. If you find a magic item or an unguarded chest behind a secret door don't touch it. It is a trap that will kill you. If you find a guarded item or chest behind a secret door it is a trap that will probably kill you. If you find an empty hallway with no markings it is a trap that will kill you. If you find a way to get down more than one floors at once without teleporting don't try it. It is a trap that will kill you. If you find a small child approach you crying kill the child. It is a trap that will kill you. If you find a ghostly wizard trying to tell you the way out of the tower run away. It is a trap that will kill you. If you find a source of liquid don't drink it. It will either be a blessing such as a potion or instant death. Don't attempt to read monster's minds to find the way out of the tower. They all have mental barriers which will result in great pain probably causing the monster to be able to kill you. If there is a large empty room don't go into it. It is a trap that will kill you. If you think of an easy way to beat a creature do not mention this to any of your allies aloud. Halastar will adjust the creature so that the technique won't work anymore. Any questions?
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2014-10-13 at 01:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

Jace nods. "Ok, so everything will kill you, and almost all the floors are really dangerous. Got it. When were you guys planning on attempting this descent? Also, how long does it generally take for someone to travel through the 2nd-4th floors?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Soren smirks to himself, Pretty much. I am not sure how you have the cognitive abilities to cast a 5th circle spell but that is pretty much accurate. It can vary for the descent. I could imagine a group of 9th circle casters could clear their way out of the place and reach Elysium in a day or two. We are spending our time trying to map out our path first. We were very lucky we managed to find this fortification unused. I have been using divinations to map out our descent and we have been here for two weeks so far. We probably were going to spend a week or so more before trying to descend further. We need to completely get through the 7th floor in one push and would prefer to have a safe house planned out when we reach the 9th.

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

"Hmm, well my friends are somewhat competent. Hopefully they can make it up here in a week, and join us. Just politely wondering, but what "circle level" or equivalent in your respective professions are you guys capable of?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Soren looks hesitant to answer that when Chrom speaks up, Soren here is able to cast 7th circle spells. None of the rest of us are spell casters but we are about that competent. Rhys made a particular bond with Teron Gorefiend and is a quite capable healer of regular wounds. But sacrificed some of the abilities clerics are normally able to have. Rolf is a bit younger and weaker but he still is pretty good with his bow.

14. - Top - End - #14

Griffon

Jace nods, "Cool, so you guys are pretty strong then. I mean, overall,"he says, glancing at Rolf with his unstrung bow. He remembers being threatened by it and casually wonders what his int score is. "Anyways, so I'm just a little unclear about what exactly you plan to be doing for the next week or so. Also, just to make it official, you won't mind us joining you guys on your descent?"
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2014-07-29 at 02:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hey the more help we have the better. And Soren is going to continue to use divinations while the rest of us are going to guard the base and maybe clear out some obstacles if we find the need to and if it will help our descent.

16. - Top - End - #16

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Btw what time of day is it?

"Ok. I'd be happy to help clear out some obstacles, or guard the base."
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2014-07-29 at 06:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

While introductions are still being made Tsubaki is going to speak up, Also, I hate to be unwelcome and to intrude any more than we have to but I do have my vampirisim to be concerned about. When we were outside of the tower I simply fed on animals and the like but that wasn't really an option in the first floor and we rested. I must admit the hunger for blood is coming over me now. Is there any potential that you Rhys would be able to restore the damage done by a vampires bite? The hunger is quite powerful and its hard to resist. She shifts around a bit uncomfortably.

Rhys shakes his head, I am sorry no I am unable to restore more than the bite wounds. The vitality and spirit lost is something I am unable to recover with my current strength I am sorry. As for animals, there shouldn't be any on this floor. I believe there might be some creatures of animal intelligence on the 7th floor. But frankly I wouldn't suggest draining blood from them as it could lead to some… ramifications that might be unpleasant. Also the creatures seem to be imbued with a corrupt for of positive energy. So that might also not work well for you.

Soren looks somewhat displeased by this news. You feel its less of a displeasure of having to deal with undead and more of he sees Tsubaki as a risk factor. I must request that you absolutely need to sate your addiction every night, I am not risking your mental fortitude being strong enough to withstand the withdrawal symptoms. Don't engage the Drow but you might be able to find some other creatures in traps or others wandering about to feed on. Try to capture them alive obviously so you can feed on them for multiple days. If they aren't part of a faction we can store them in our facilities here. We won't be able to assist you in your hunts though.

Chrom seems to listen to Soren for most of the part but seems to object to the last part regarding there refusal to help, Soren I think we will be able to help in the hunt. I am sure we need to knock out some of the traps in our way and those probably have some kind of flesh and blood monsters she can hunt... but Soren continues, No and as I still have some limited authority as our tactician I refuse it. The only traps in the way are either the Altar or the chained Golothama. Neither of which are feasible targets for her to feed. Beyond that we simply need to break through the exit to the 7th floor. As if we exit our fortress for too many "hunting missions" we risk making the Drow think we are hunting for treasure and they may try to break into our fortress here. Their belief that we are regular challengers that simply want to break through is the main reason they don't want to expend effort dragging us out. Exposing ourselves every night is incredibly risky and foolhardy. And I won't do it to protect someone who I have never met. My task and job is to make sure each of us gets to Elysium. I won't take foolhardy risks!

Chrom sighs at Soren's outrage, Look Soren I know its hard but we can't just..

Yes! Yes we can just let them. We are providing for them a safe place to rest and recover already. That is a ludicrous luxury. We can't extend every favor for them thats possible even at our own risk! As our tactician my decision is final and you are well aware that our band needs its hierarchy for a reason. You are a good man Chrom but you need to face reality. If you help someone you harm someone else, that is almost a universal constant. Let them fend for themselves.

18. - Top - End - #18

Griffon

"Hmm.. well I guess if hunting is such a problem, I could give Tsubaki some blood. I have a wand of lesser restoration, so that can take care of the harm to my constitution. As for the soul-draining effect, I can prepare a greater resistance spell to reduce the chance of permanently suffering a loss to a very small chance (aka 5%), and I can also prepare an alter fortune spell to reduce that chance even further. Even so, it would be very convenient if we can find a hunting opportunity."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Its not so much hunting thats the problem. Its US hunting thats the problem. The Drow know we are in this stronghold but they don't know where you are from. If you wander the halls get a monster patrol and bring it back here there won't be a problem. If you try to capture a Drow Soldier than the Drow will try and find them and using divinations probably will track them back here. Hence why I don't want you to hunt for Drow. If they see our whole group wandering around they may assume that our group is attempting to search for powerful items on this floor instead of just waiting to see the best plan downward. Then they might think that it would be more cost efficient to pry us out of these fortification rather than us steal any items on this floor that they might of otherwise gotten. So you can hunt as you like, or donate blood, whatever suits you. But I just request that if she is staying here she must feed once a day.

20. - Top - End - #20

Griffon

"Ok, that makes sense. What are you guys's plans for the rest of the day? If you guys are going to clear some obstacles, I would like to help. Otherwise, I might go hunting for a bit and see if I can find something. And just be clear about items... if they are behind a door or in a chest, they are probably traps. However, if I find an item in a random spot or on a creature that isn't drow, would it be bad to take it?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

You arrived on a divination day. I have only divinations and other scouting spells prepared today so we aren't going to clear out anything today. You can do as you wish, Chrom and Titania were simply sparing before you showed up. And as for items. Halastar has a rather… odd view of cleverness. If you try to get something for nothing that something is going to end up hurting you or backfiring. But if you get something by earning it he will usually give it to you. So if you survive a trap where a magic scythe nearly cuts you in half. You can probably take the scythe with no ramifications. If you find an unguarded chest and try to take it you will probably die.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

"Ok, well I'm going to see if I kind find anything. I don't have the greatest spell selection at the moment though, so I'll be cautious and avoid things that seem too challenging."

Unless they have anything else to say, Jace is going to cast his second charge of heroism on himself with his wand, and use his his gloves of darkness to create a continous blacklight effect around himself and Tsubaki. Then he will head out and try to find something to hunt.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Well Okay then, I will go back to training, Rhys head with me I want to try some new moves and I might need you there. Soren help Jace and Tsubaki if they need anything else. Also Rhys go into the store room and get them the extra bedroll.

Of course Chrom. Chrom leaves the room with Rhys and Rolf goes to go get the extra supplies. Well if you need anything else I will be in the study. Soren then leaves you alone in the room as he enters his study.

Assuming Jace then goes out to hunt Titania and a purple haired girl looking to be no more than 17 is standing guard with her. The gate is solid and has two arrow slits for firing upon attackers but its only blocking a 20ft wide entryway into the hallway. They unbar the door and then let you out. You find yourself in a 5ft wide hallway. You can go west or east. East is a longer path about 200ft down before it encounter a wall and turns off north and south. Another path that way is about 150ft down that direction but you can't see whats in it obviously. West enters a seemingly empty cavern about 70ft down the path.

What does Jace do?

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

Jace is going to walk down the west pathway until he can see the entirety or almost the entirety of the cavern, but not enter it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The cavern is decently large and is about 20ft wide by 25ft tall, the walls are much more rugged and "natural" for a cave system than the rest of the floor so far, there is a small pool of water in a corner of the cave with no life in it. You spot no creatures in the room and there is one exit to the cavern, a 10ft wide iron door. There is some writing on the door but it is too far away to make out the writing.

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

"Hmm. 10 bucks says that writing says 'This is a trap,' and then the whole room collapses. Let's try the other passageway first..." Jace says to Tsubaki. Jace then heads down the east path.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

As you are walking to the other path cautiously several spears shoot out from the seemingly normal wall impaling you.

6 Spears connect dealing 12,8,9,13,9,10 damage respectively. You can see that they shot out from a trap in the wall that was covered with an illusion.

Jace has 57 health right now and is about 10ft from the path that extends to the south and is about 30ft from the paths that split to the north and south beyond that.

28. - Top - End - #28

Griffon

"Owww." says Jace, pulling spears out of his body. He walks back to Chrom's base, and looks to see if the healer (Rhys I believe) is there. "Hey, could you possibly heal these wounds? I ran into a trap right outside the base. Also, how many traps are there? I mean I literally ran into one right outside this fortification. At that rate I'd make it not even a quarter mile."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

As you pull out the spears you notice that they aren't quite held together like you would expect spears to be, far too flimsy. As you pull the second one out all the spears fall apart and dissolve into a dust like mist which scatters on non existent winds. You also find that the holes that the spears shot out from are non longer there, instead it seems like its just a solid wall.

Heading back to Chrom's Place Mia and Titania great you. They fetch Rhys who heals you up.

Ooh ya traps are nasty here. Soren didn't explain that to you? The traps here are "randomly assorted and spread out to maximize viability and confusion" as Soren would say. With the amount of Challengers coming through here traps would get marked out and everyone would just avoid them. Traps appear and disappear almost at random except for some of the most solid ones. Usually they won't appear if you have just searched the are a minute ago. And we are just going to have Rhys heal you through this opening. We have to go through standard procedure which takes a bit to let you in here its just easier this way.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2014-07-30 at 10:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Griffon

"Hmm... I'm definitely going to prepare myself better tomorrow. However, I just need to find one animals or something out there. Are the traps all magical then? Would detect magic help me find them?"